All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Cover Art for Unchained Melody

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:39 pm

I just saw the cover art for the new FTD Unchained Melody on ElvisNews.com and I'll have to admit I was a lot disappointed. The song Unchained Melody has a history, I mean, The Righteous Brothers really did a number on that song - one of my favorite all time songs, haunting - (not to pun the movie Ghost). It's a beautiful song! And Elvis did a great job on the song too, I believe he really must have liked it. But to surround the title of this CD with a cover photo like that is beyond me. Where's the beauty, the passion? To me it's about the package - surround the content with equal presentation. There are even some great photos of E' at the piano singing his heart out to this song, why not use these photos. I hope it's not too late for them to change it - but either way I've still ordered the CD. Elvis did perform well on this tour.

Darrell

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:47 pm

Who knows if that's really the official covert art? We've seen "previews" of FTD covers before that were not what was actually used...

Axe

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:06 am

I doubt that this is the real deal. Looks mocked up to me.

Hope that's not just wishful thinking on my part!!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:32 am

There are quite a few nice photos of Elvis from the second Charlotte show they could have used. But this could very well change, like it did with "I Found My Thrill". Am I the only one who is reminded of the "Made In Memphis" cover art? Looks like they've used the same font.

cover

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:37 am

Hopefully the cover will change.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 am

Hopefully the cover will change [2]

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 am

I like it :D

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:24 am

I'll be surprised -- and yes, disappointed -- if this is the final cover art.

As always, the cover art ranks far below content and sound on my priority list, but this cover sure doesn't do anything for me.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:32 am

Perhaps you guys might like to design a selection of covers for FTD to use in upcoming FTD releases. Seeing as you are design experts.

For goodness sake we are so fortunate to have FTD that I wouldn't care if they came in brown paper bags.

To paraphase "it's the music stupid - not a pretty face" :D

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:58 am

KiwiAlan wrote:For goodness sake we are so fortunate to have FTD that I wouldn't care if they came in brown paper bags.

To paraphase "it's the music stupid - not a pretty face" :D

sure it's the music that counts. We love FTD :)

BUT, we can still critique the covers too FFS!!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:08 am

Thanks so much for the reflexive thoughtless response, KiwiAlan.

FTD has done better dozens of times. And I guess I have to repeat myself for you, my bet is this one will be better -- much better -- when it's released.

I'd think saying so represents high confidence in and respect for FTD's designers.

As far as the Pearl Jam/Frank Zappa approach of brown-bagging the discs, if they chose to do it that way, fine. But if they're trying to create attractive covers, then I certainly want Ernst and Roger to succeed in that effort.

By the way, I'll be on the lookout for your next critical remark (and you know as well as I do, I won't have to wait long). Then I'll be sure to tell you to just go do it yourself if you think you're so great. Because after all, that's such a a polite, reasoned statement.
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 am

Cover art is strange and title 'Unchained melody' is boring. For that price thay can be a little more inventive. And do something about remastering- it's strange that multitrack recording of 'Help me' sounds 10 times better on Madison release 'Let it roll' then similar recordings on official release 'Spring tour '77'

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:30 am

I think cover art is very important, it catches people's eye and can only increase sales.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:35 am

This cover art (if this is what they're going to use) is quite a surprise for me - much in the same line as I was surprised back when the cover art for Made In Memphis was announced.

I think neither are good - although I wouldn't say that they are a completely waste, either...

I understand that it's the actual content on the cd that's relevant and what matters.
But hey, it wouldn't hurt with a great looking cover art in addition to the cd..! :wink:

I think FTD has had their fair share of both good and not so good cover arts, and overall I would say that the FTD covers are "good enough".

We have to remember that FTD has a relatively low budget to work with.
Considering all the great releases we've had over the last years (and the ones we'll get in the near future), we simply can't complain that much.

Best Regards
Kristian

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:39 am

I'm not an expert at cover design by any means, but how much extra can it be to put an awesome pic on a cover? Somebody feel free to educate me because I have no clue in this area.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:42 am

I liked the Made in Memphis cover and thought it marked a pleasant change of pace.

It used a cool image of Elvis, and I thought that it was was well-composed and that the toning used was effective.

However, this mock-up (?) sure lacks any of those charms, as far as I'm concerned.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:46 am

I'd love to see a good picture of elvis at the Piano from Feb 1977 on the cover. This would be true to the album title.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:55 am

quote: I'd love to see a good picture of elvis at the Piano from Feb 1977 on the cover. This would be true to the album title.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. And its the logical choice if they have an excellant photo of Elvis at the paino.

The picture is not bad, in fact in would be a good one to put on the inside of the digipack where behind the cd is stored.

Or maybe they should try the brown paper bag as suggested above.

That would surely save FTD some money.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:57 am

That is Keith AlversonĀ“s photo from Montgomery, February 15th. Keith took photos from the Charlotte concert as well, so maybe they will use those, too. They used his photos before on Southern Nights, but forgot to give him the credit.

George Hill took many nice photos from this Charlotte show, too, including a very nice one of Elvis smiling at the piano. That would make a great cover for this cd.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:59 am

The fool wrote:George Hill took many nice photos from this Charlotte show, too, including a very nice one of Elvis smiling at the piano. That would make a great cover for this cd.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 am

Add my vote for a good picture of Elvis tickling (pounding?) the ivory.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:11 am

I don't think the picture is a bad candid photo of Elvis from that time period at all... but I think they could have shown a little creativity in their design of presenting the photo for the cover of this Cd. I'll still be buying even if this is the final design.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:12 am

Check this "mock up" design on the Elvis in Norway site... thoughts?
Unchained Melody FTD

JEFF d
EAP fan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:13 am

I think that photo is from Feb 15th 77 isn't it?? anyhow not a bad look, and besides hopefully they can feature other shots from 20th feb on inside the cover?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:19 am

No, that is from Charlotte, taken by Harlod Newton.