All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

50's/60's songs Elvis did better in the 70's

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:58 pm

What 50's or 60's songs did Elvis better in the 70's?
Or aren't there any?

(Okay, Elvis did the definitive version of Lawdy Miss Clawdy in 1968, IMO, but I want to know the oldies he did better in his Vegas period..)

So, let me hear your opinions :wink:

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:27 pm

Long Tall Sally and Big Hunk Of Love without doubt.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:01 pm

With the exception of some of the June 1968 performances, I don’t think I would go as far as to say that any of the later live versions were actually better than the original 1950’s recordings, and with tracks such as “Hound Dog” and “Jailhouse Rock”, I don’t think the later versions even come close.

There were a number of fifties songs that Elvis seemed to enjoy performing more than others, and he would therefore afford them more effort than the so called ‘throwaways’ or crowd- pleasers. Good examples of this would be “Trying To Get To You” and “Big Hunk O’ Love”.

“That’s All Right” also deserves a mention as I like the way the song evolved over the years. When Elvis started using this number as an opener he belted it out at a very fast pace, but as the years went by and it occasionally reappeared at different points in the show, the more traditional approach was favoured, with a Johnny Cash style rendition being performed at the 1976 Memphis show, and slower country flavoured performance being a feature of Elvis’ final TV Special.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:09 pm

the 1970 version of "Sally" is powerhouse! The 56 version is lame and dull. Best ever version is beatles actually which is dynamite.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:59 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:the 1970 version of "Sally" is powerhouse! The 56 version is lame and dull. Best ever version is beatles actually which is dynamite.

The best version is actually Little Richard which Elvis would have first heard in April 1956.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:54 am

none the 50s versions were allways the best.. the beatles version of sally was shite. little richards version was awsome.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 am

Little Richard sucks and so does his version of Long Tall Sally!!! :shock:

8)

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:14 am

i think you have been in the bush too long sport need to come out and smell the roses.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:16 am

rocknroller wrote:i think you have been in the bush too long sport need to come out and smell the roses.

:lol:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 am

Here are a few of my favorites later versions.

Thats all right--1961

One night-1968

Blue Christmas--1968

Love me Tender--1968

Heartbreak Hotel--1961

I'll remember you--1973

How great thou art--1974

Hawaiian wedding song--Many 70's versions are nice.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:44 am

The only 50's number I can think of that was improved in the later live period is I Got a Woman in the years 69-70. As good as the 72-73 versions of A Big Hunk O' Love are (particularly the ones from '72) they still don't match, let alone surpass, the raucous-voiced 50's version. I wish Elvis had tackled this song in Jan./Feb. '70.
Last edited by Pete Dube on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:05 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:the 1970 version of "Sally" is powerhouse! The 56 version is lame and dull. Best ever version is beatles actually which is dynamite.

I strongly beg to differ!!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:07 am

rocknroller wrote:none the 50s versions were allways the best.. the beatles version of sally was shite. little richards version was awsome.

If you like Little Richard. Personally, I never could stand his stuff.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:17 am

JerryNodak wrote:
rocknroller wrote:none the 50s versions were allways the best.. the beatles version of sally was shite. little richards version was awsome.

If you like Little Richard. Personally, I never could stand his stuff.

Now that's what I was trying to say!!! :wink:

:D

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:43 am

I agree with Pete. 'I Got A Woman' from 69-70. The performances got gradually lamer as the 70's progressed but the early live versions were dynamite.

Re: 50's/60's songs Elvis did better in the 70's

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:25 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
Denman wrote:What 50's or 60's songs did Elvis better in the 70's?
Or aren't there any?

(Okay, Elvis did the definitive version of Lawdy Miss Clawdy in 1968, IMO, but I want to know the oldies he did better in his Vegas period..)

So, let me hear your opinions :wink:

None.
Sadly none. And not because he couldn't.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:44 am

I am extremely suprised no one has mentioned Trying to get to you. Blows his original Sun recording out of the water, truly on to land 8) :D :D :D

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:55 am

woodleyjohn wrote:None.

I concur. Only in June 1968 did Elvis meet -- and beat -- several of his 1950s classics, which is why the 1968 TV Special is such a landmark in rock history. Speaking of rock history ...

sam wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:If you like Little Richard. Personally, I never could stand his stuff.

Now that's what I was trying to say!!!

The Specialty singles laid down (mostly) in New Orleans by Little Richard between 1955 and 1957 are crucial, essential examples of rock and roll. They blew everyone away, so much so that Elvis covered THREE of them in 1956.

To dismiss these enormously influential recordings is to dismiss the music itself -- or indicate that you don't have a clue about rock and roll. Your loss.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:10 am

Imo, the only time Elvis ever came close or tied with some of his 50's output, was in june '68 during the TV special taping.
Other than that, he did well in '69 with the Mystery Train/Tiger Man Medley, Trying To Get To You and I Got A Woman on several occasions, A Big Hunk O' Love,
Are You Lonesome Tonight? from On Tour and That's All Righ from Elvis In Concert '77. Which are those that spring to mind right now.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:37 am

one night--my favorite version is in ttwii--it might not be long, but it's just so freakin' awesome and insane.

that's all right--again, ttwii.

i got a woman--i love the '70s versions--and i very much love the amen part included.

eot's lawdy miss clawdy, i like it better than '68 and the '50s one. '72 is my favorite.

i also like the '70s versions of can't help falling in love better as well.

there are others. i'm not a only in the '50s/'68 ignoramous, so that could be a part of it. there are in fact a lot of his '50s songs which i prefer later versions of. and let me put it this way--there are more things elvis did in the '70s that elvis in the '50s wouldn't have been able to pull off half as well, than things he did in the '50s and pulled off pretty well in the '70s.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:09 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:i got a woman--i love the '70s versions--and i very much love the amen part included.

Wow - you are one very lucky person then! Well, similarly, if he puts his heart in the ending of Can't Help Falling In Love, as he sometimes did, I like it a lot. Other than that, Mystery Train(/Tiger Man) and Trying To Get To You are often at least as good as the 50s versions. Not so much Big Hunk Of Love, though I was impressed by the version on On Tour - The Rehearsals. But the 58 version is splendid.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 am

Elvis's babe: i'm not a only in the '50s/'68 ignoramous, so that could be a part of it. there are in fact a lot of his '50s songs which i prefer later versions of

Me too!! Maybe thats the case with all Aspergers Elvis fans :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I am extremely suprised no one has mentioned Trying to get to you. Blows his original Sun recording out of the water, truly on to land 8) :D :D :D

I think you need to clarify this one! The only time Elvis came to matching the quality of the Sun recording in my opinion was in '68. His on stage versions, whilst enjoyable, are certainly no match for the original.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
woodleyjohn wrote:None.

I concur. Only in June 1968 did Elvis meet -- and beat -- several of his 1950s classics, which is why the 1968 TV Special is such a landmark in rock history. Speaking of rock history ...

sam wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:If you like Little Richard. Personally, I never could stand his stuff.

Now that's what I was trying to say!!!

The Specialty singles laid down (mostly) in New Orleans by Little Richard between 1955 and 1957 are crucial, essential examples of rock and roll. They blew everyone away, so much so that Elvis covered THREE of them in 1956.

To dismiss these enormously influential recordings is to dismiss the music itself -- or indicate that you don't have a clue about rock and roll. Your loss.

I don't dismiss them. I'll agree that they're crucial etc., but that does not mean I've have to like them.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 pm

If they had continued to work on "Young and beautiful" in 1972, it could have been a winner. But otherwise, let´s face it. Elvis had a hard time matching his 50´s songs in 70´s, just like he would have a hard time to beat a performance like "It´s midnight" in 1955!

//Regards Björn