All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:01 am

Running out of breath gets to me.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:08 am

Johanesson wrote:On this tour he was better than anytime in '73.

You must not have caught everything Elvis managed to commit to tape between January and December of 1973.

Johanesson wrote:I don't care what he [Ernst] likes or dislikes. He is just an employee who serves us.

First of all, it is our great fortune Ernst is not "just an employee."

Secondly, he "serves" at the behest of Sony/BMG.

Thirdly, your statement is condescending, dismissive and arrogant. Why you'd want to express yourself this way, in light of this topic, makes no sense whatsoever.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:16 am

Johanesson wrote:
I don't care what he likes or dislikes. He is just an employee who serves us.

You are of course kidding right?!

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 am

After reading all this I'm bound to be surprised! I'll wait and hear!

Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:39 pm

Why do you think that Elvis did not have studio out-takes and rare soundboard recordings released while he was alive? So mindless fools would not analyse them note for note and criticise him. These were less than perfect performances but nevertheless thats all we have now.

I think people on this board tend to be overly harsh on our man. I am grateful that we have these recordings but am always mindful that they are extras or bonuses to the master recordings issued during his lifetime.

I am sick of hearing things like 'this version did not match up to the studio version he performed in blah'. You think he didn't know that himself? Some people amaze me!!!!!

elvisonline

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:16 pm

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's wonderful that Elvis pulled this one out for a unique performance, but to call it "brilliant" is simply untrue. His vocals aren't quite up to the task -- even if his passion is 100% there.

A "wide public release" of this track wouldn't receive the acclaim you imagine it might -- and not just because it was a quiet album cut from a 1967 gospel LP.

It would've been great to have seen him do it that night, though.

I agree with this 100%. Its a rare heartfelt performance but Elvis' vocal is pretty weak. It does give it a delicate, emotional impact but certainly not one for a "wide public release".
I agree with Doc and Matthew.

Re: ftd unchained

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... lucky devils!

I had the info straight from the horse's mouth. If he decided to

change concept, dont point at me, fellow junkies... :wink:

Quite the contrary! Perhaps they saw the discussion that evolved here after you informed us that they intend to publish an already available soundboard and THEN changed their minds ... who knows? So keep us informed!

And to Ernst, a big Thank You!

The cover, according to http://www.elvis-records.de (still a bit fuzzy):

Edit: According to elvisnews:

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:12 pm

I would agree that February ’77 tour was the most consistent from Elvis’ final year, and I think that the FTD team should be commended for choosing a show which hasn’t been bootlegged and including all the extras.

This disc gives a great sounding overview of the February tour, and also for those that haven’t had access to boot titles in the past rare live cuts such as “Moody Blue” and “Where No One Stands Alone” will not disappoint.

Re: ftd unchained

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:25 pm

Kuenzer wrote:Edit: According to elvisnews:

Yeah, well........

It's the content that counts, right? :?

[ yuck ]

Rich

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:30 am

Scan image, insert text box with large type: Elvis Presley, insert second text box with smaller type: l Unchained Melody l

This cover can be achieved in Paint in about a minute.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:39 am

Matthew wrote:Scan image, insert text box with large type: Elvis Presley, insert second text box with smaller type: l Unchained Melody l

Very true - but the most basic and simple designs are sometimes the best. Providing, of course, that the right photo, the right font, size and colours are used. Which may not be the case here! :wink:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:18 am

The Elvis in Norway site still left question marks by two tracks:

Release Me (Columbia or Charlotte [21])
Trying To Get To You (Savannah or Columbia)

Paul Dowling says both will come frm the Columbia, S.C., date (Feb. 18 ). (His information matches on the other bonus tracks.)

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:12 pm

I'd like to echo rockinrebel's sentiments, but also question why some bonus songs have not been included to further document this February 77 tour. Assuming there is sufficient room on the cd, why not add Polk Salad Annie from Montgomery as a bonus track? If FTD have the St Petersburg show (Feb 14), they could also include And I Love You So and Fever.
Last edited by dannyboy on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 pm

a very good release....

elvis sounds very tired during this tour. the 14th february show available on cajun is a littl epainful, he even excuses himself for not having rehearsed.

The 16th show is slightly bettered.

Ernst has surprassed himself again. And unreleased show, the rare bonus section is top notched again. Ok, elvis sounds tired on moody blue (just when I think I know her well her emotions reveal she's not the person that I adored and knew - this phrase has a stop as elvis runs out of breath, remember he circled with a pen this verse on the lyric sheet in february 76 to indicate himself he had to hold his breath for all the phrase).

Where no one stands alone is so emotional as out of breath. It's touching though.

In all a good release from a not so good tour. ernst again succeeds running three horses at once: present good material, present unreleased material avoiding duplication with imports, and present a definitive
release.

And elvis was much better quite a few times in 73 folks....january 14th, december stax, and some concerts from june tour for example....

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:20 pm

Matthew wrote:Scan image, insert text box with large type: Elvis Presley, insert second text box with smaller type: l Unchained Melody l

It's still early and this may not be the actual cover shot. Remember the first reports of the ugly Polk Salad Annie cover? It was changed to a much better looking photo.

Rich_TCB wrote:It's the content that counts, right?

Mostly, but we are still paying for the cover. A nice shot sure makes our purchase just a little more satisfying.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:27 pm

I've not said I dislike the photo, it is in my opinion quite a nice shot of the man. I just find it a little humerous the total lack of artistic ability with the cover design. Isn't there an interview somewhere with a guy at the art company that designs the covers for FTD? I'd like to apply for a creative job, with my Paint skills I could go places! :lol:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:05 pm

Matthew wrote:I've not said I dislike the photo, it is in my opinion quite a nice shot of the man. I just find it a little humerous the total lack of artistic ability with the cover design. Isn't there an interview somewhere with a guy at the art company that designs the covers for FTD? I'd like to apply for a creative job, with my Paint skills I could go places! :lol:

True. A good design inclues more than just a nice photo.

FTD has come up with some very nice designs in the past and I hope they will succeed this time also. Artwork is important. It adds extra pleasure and enjoyment for the real fans, and it makes life a bit more miserable for the CD-R thieves. :twisted:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:51 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
YDKM wrote:My 1 and ONLY complaint is 'why the hell' include such an 'abysmal /botched' up performance such as 'Why me Lord' from Charlotte?

Yeah, "Why Me Lord". I have always wondered what Elvis was thinking when he and JD performed this song. They ruined the song. Totally trashed it. I'm surprised Kris Kristofferson didn't sue him! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

The throwaway "Why me lord" from Charlotte's next night is an embarrassment.
Elvis does not sing along at all, and he even cuts the song halfway,
just to tell the Stamps they are in the wrong key.. :(

I do welcome this FTD... an unreleased Feb show,
including rare bonus songs: great! 8)

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:02 pm

This one is not on my list of "gotta haves". I'm waiting for the Rapid City show... and waiting... waiting... waiting...

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:55 pm

yeah guys...i don't know whether they have that Columbia show from 18th-yet? but i would have preferred Elvis version(NOT messed up) of Are You Lonesome Tonight from that show INSTEAD of a crappy Why Me Lord from 21st Feb!!!! :roll:

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:04 am

This one is not on my list of "gotta haves". I'm waiting for the Rapid City show... and waiting... waiting... waiting...

It is hard to imagine this show not being released. However, if Ernst releases the audience recording of Indy 77 at some point, that will already make 3 1977 releases, so who knows? Also, there have been reports that Rapid City certain band members were not recorded very well with the idea that overdubs would be used. Anyone have any more info. on this?

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:11 am

midnightx wrote:Also, there have been reports that Rapid City certain band members were not recorded very well with the idea that overdubs would be used. Anyone have any more info. on this?

I've never quite understood the logic of that, I'm not a recording engineer so really I don't know but assuming this is what occured surely it is more cost effective to record everyone on the night rather than not, book studio time and musicians to then come in and overdub their parts?

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:41 am

As I understand it, Felton didn't record the orchestra live. Why, I don't know...

Axe

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 am

Rob wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:It's the content that counts, right?

Mostly, but we are still paying for the cover. A nice shot sure makes our purchase just a little more satisfying.

No disagreement from me ... that's why I said "yuck" right after :D

Clint Reno (Spinout Designs) would be my choice for FTD's art department. Extremely talented.

I know one thing, we Elvis fans are totally spoiled.

Just think...

Ed Sullivan DVD boxset
Let Yourself Go
His Hand In Mine
Writing For The King (book plus 2 CD's)
The American Way Vol. 1
Unchained Melody

I can't catch my breath!

Rich

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:41 am

Johanesson wrote:On this tour he was better than anytime in '73...

... I don't care what he likes or dislikes. He is just an employee who serves us.

Ummm... WOW!
And I haven't heard of anyone taking LSD since the 70's!!!
You have obviously found a source dude!!!
:shock: