All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Good news for me as a huge fan of the 1977 Elvis !! What a voice !

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:18 pm

The Feb. 1977 tour wasn't exactly the best one Elvis did and we already have one soundboard recording or another in the collection. So to me this is not such an sensational release. But neverthenless its another soundboard recording in a (to judge from the already released material) good quality. An interesting release, but no sensation at all.

It is sensational in the sense that Ernst is known not to be a big fan of Elvis' 1977 work, yet he is producing another full-scale FTD release from the era. His goal as most know is to release live material from every major tour/Vegas/Tahoe engagement and he is staying true to his word. Will the actual performances be mind-blowing? Highly doubtful, but that isn't really the objective with this release. This will be a big seller, you can already sense the enthusiasm from fans.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:43 pm

dl wrote:The Feb. 1977 tour wasn't exactly the best one Elvis did and we already have one soundboard recording or another in the collection. An interesting release, but no sensation at all.

dl,

Were you around in the early 80's, when stuff like this was just a PIPE DREAM?
Sure, it's not the Holy Grail...but it's a soundbard WE DON'T HAVE YET. Twenty years ago or so, a lot of us would have given our right arms to hear something like this...

Axe

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:46 pm

Axeman wrote: Twenty years ago or so, a lot of us would have given our right arms to hear something like this...

Axe

I'm glad now I waited!!! :D

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:... OK, well, maybe I'll skip a Softly As I Leave You recitation once in a while. :wink:

Unbelievable! That performance is one of Elvis's true masterpieces, man! I ain't kidding. I'd love to know the story about that song. How it came about. Whoever came up with the idea of adding Sherill's voice to the song was a genuis - the combination of Elvis's breathtaking recitation and Sherill's beautiful singing is just out of this world. I've never heard anything like it. This is one of Elvis's most underrated performances.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
elvissessions.com wrote:... OK, well, maybe I'll skip a Softly As I Leave You recitation once in a while. :wink:

Unbelievable! That performance is one of Elvis's true masterpieces, man! I ain't kidding. I'd love to know the story about that song. How it came about. Whoever came up with the idea of adding Sherill's voice to the song was a genuis - the combination of Elvis's breathtaking recitation and Sherill's beautiful singing is just out of this world. I've never heard anything like it. This is one of Elvis's most underrated performances.

Keith Richards, Jr.

I think it was old Vernon who suggested that Elvis could do that song on stage. Who did the arrangement, i don´t know, but the stupid story about dying man was Elvis´s own imagination. :D

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:48 pm

I think it was old Vernon who suggested that Elvis could do that song on stage.

Softly As I Leave You was the least of his problems on stage in the late 70s. 20+ minutes of meandering Band Intros, 8 minutes of JD divebombing at the end of I Got A Woman, the completely pathetic and embarrasing rendition of I You Love Me (Let Me Know), butchering his 50's classics, etc.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:53 pm

midnightx wrote:
I think it was old Vernon who suggested that Elvis could do that song on stage.

Softly As I Leave You was the least of his problems on stage in the late 70s. 20+ minutes of meandering Band Intros, 8 minutes of JD divebombing at the end of I Got A Woman, the completely pathetic and embarrasing rendition of I You Love Me (Let Me Know), butchering his 50's classics, etc.

I think SAILY was quite rare in 76-77. I meant mainly the year 74. :)

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:56 pm

The intro is slower than creepin' Jesus, Sherrill Nielsen's warbling is off-putting as hell, but most of all it's the sort of theatrical set piece that doesn't lend itself to six or eight listens on a weekend day like today.

If I'm going to make it through all the soundboards as often as I like, something's got to give. The Zarathustra intro and Softly As I Leave You are on my cuts list. Feel free to substitute your own.

I'm not saying I never listen to it or enjoy it, but it's not the sort of thing I feel compelled to hit four or five times in a row. Twice a week probably is more than enough for me on that one.
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 am

Elvis solo vocal-piano performance of 'Where No One Stands Alone' will be worth the price of admission alone. All the others can be considered free bonus tracks.

Anyone, who hasn't heard 'Moody Blue & Other Great Performances' certainly has got something to look forward to.

This performance of 'Where No One Stands Alone' is on a par with the undubbed 'Unchained Melody' - actually a little better!

Probably Elvis' greatest '77 performance, whatsoever.

All the best,
Skjernaa

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:18 am

Yes, i agree, softly as i leave you is one of the most horrible songs that Elvis has ever sang. Different arrangement would have helped in that case i think..

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:18 am

skjernaa wrote:Elvis solo vocal-piano performance of 'Where No One Stands Alone' will be worth the price of admission alone. All the others can be considered free bonus tracks.

Anyone, who hasn't heard 'Moody Blue & Other Great Performances' certainly has got something to look forward to.

Too right!! If anyone has not heard Where No One Stands Alone, why not?? It is sublime.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:22 am

BIGREDG wrote:
skjernaa wrote:Elvis solo vocal-piano performance of 'Where No One Stands Alone' will be worth the price of admission alone. All the others can be considered free bonus tracks.

Too right!! If anyone has not heard Where No One Stands Alone, why not?? It is sublime.

Yes, fantastic, total unrehearsed, but anyway great.. "repeat fellows" :)

Reconsider Baby from that album is slightly better though..IMO

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:28 am

Ail78 wrote:Reconsider Baby from that album is slightly better though..IMO

You're kidding of course?

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:55 am

BIGREDG wrote:
Ail78 wrote:Reconsider Baby from that album is slightly better though..IMO

You're kidding of course?

Nope, i just love that James´s solo on that one.. and of course that is very much unrehearsed piece too so in that way Elvis´s performance isn´t so bad. If you compare the words to original, it´s quite funny too.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:46 am

:lol: The Elvis in Norway beautifully listed this forthcoming release in this manner:-
Charlotte, February 20 1977
Love Me
Fairytale
You Gave Me A Mountain
Jailhouse Rock
O Solo Mio/It's Now Or Never
Little Sister
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
My Way
Moody Blue (intro only)
How Great Thou Art
Hurt
Hound Dog
Unchained Melody
Can't Help Falling In Love
Moody Blue (Charlotte, Feb. 21)
Blueberry Hill (St. Petersburg, Feb 14)
Love Letters (St. Petersburg, Feb 14)
Where No One Stands Alone (Montgomery, Feb. 16)
Release Me (Columbia or Charlotte [21])
Trying To Get To You (Savannah or Columbia)
Reconsider Baby (Charlotte, Feb. 21)
Why Me, Lord (Charlotte, Feb. 21)
Just look how many STRONG BALLADS Elvis features this show!
My Way
How Great Thou Art
Hurt
Unchained Melody
This is certainly NOT a 'weak' 77 show!, ok so he was 'moody' on mody blue, but we get it the next night anyway-
Following on from 'spring tours' it's only the may and june 77 tours that havn't been represented on FTD now! Picking the better/stronger performances for this CD shows that sometimes Elvis could still sing 'great' in 1977, but not all the time now. The review of the Charlotte 20.2.77 show wrote an excellent review! My 1 and ONLY complaint is 'why the hell' include such an 'abysmal /botched' up performance such as 'Why me Lord' from Charlotte? surely 1 performance we certainly will be wanting to 'skip?'.:lol:

Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:06 am

YDKM wrote:My 1 and ONLY complaint is 'why the hell' include such an 'abysmal /botched' up performance such as 'Why me Lord' from Charlotte?

Yeah, "Why Me Lord". I have always wondered what Elvis was thinking when he and JD performed this song. They ruined the song. Totally trashed it. I'm surprised Kris Kristofferson didn't sue him! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:38 am

Where No One Stands Alone deserves a wider audience than an `import', and a wider audience than an FTD. It is a brilliant, heartbreaking performance that deserves a wide public release.
rick

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:33 am

rickeap wrote:Where No One Stands Alone deserves a wider audience than an `import', and a wider audience than an FTD. It is a brilliant, heartbreaking performance that deserves a wide public release.
rick

It's wonderful that Elvis pulled this one out for a unique performance, but to call it "brilliant" is simply untrue. His vocals aren't quite up to the task -- even if his passion is 100% there.

A "wide public release" of this track wouldn't receive the acclaim you imagine it might -- and not just because it was a quiet album cut from a 1967 gospel LP.

It would've been great to have seen him do it that night, though.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:48 am

I think I have a title for this release.

"Chaos in Charlotte".

After all we don't have film to prove that there wasn't any chaos that night. :lol:

Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's wonderful that Elvis pulled this one out for a unique performance, but to call it "brilliant" is simply untrue. His vocals aren't quite up to the task -- even if his passion is 100% there.

This comment really sums you up John Boy......you say yourself he gives 100%, then you cut him down for his vocals........your real hero, Springsteen is not known for his perfect pitch, but he does perform with PASSION, are you going to heap sh*t on him too?
This is an off the cuff performance...totally unrehearsed, Elvis obviously felt inspired!
Do you think Elvis was aware a lo-fi recording of this performance was being made for a fan release 30 years later, so the likes of you could dissect it note for note?

NURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's wonderful that Elvis pulled this one out for a unique performance, but to call it "brilliant" is simply untrue. His vocals aren't quite up to the task -- even if his passion is 100% there.

A "wide public release" of this track wouldn't receive the acclaim you imagine it might -- and not just because it was a quiet album cut from a 1967 gospel LP.

I agree with this 100%. Its a rare heartfelt performance but Elvis' vocal is pretty weak. It does give it a delicate, emotional impact but certainly not one for a "wide public release".

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:26 am

skjernaa wrote:This performance of 'Where No One Stands Alone' is on a par with the undubbed 'Unchained Melody' - actually a little better!

Probably Elvis' greatest '77 performance, whatsoever.

I prescribe a dose of How Great Thou Art from Elvis In Concert. 8)

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:27 am

This will be my favourite FTD. The february tour was the best tour in '77 (IMO),Elvis was in great mood and sang many rare songs. Just listen Coming On Strong and other imports. A big plus that the sound quality will be great!
On this tour he was better than anytime in '73.

It is sensational in the sense that Ernst is known not to be a big fan of Elvis' 1977 work, yet he is producing another full-scale FTD release from the era.

I don't care what he likes or dislikes. He is just an employee who serves us.

This will be a big seller, you can already sense the enthusiasm from fans.

I agree.

... OK, well, maybe I'll skip a Softly As I Leave You recitation once in a while.

He performed that song very beautifully,i love that.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:57 am

Matthew wrote:

I agree with this 100%. Its a rare heartfelt performance but Elvis' vocal is pretty weak. It does give it a delicate, emotional impact but certainly not one for a "wide public release".

Thanks, Matthew. There is truth, and there is myth. It's cool you choose the former, too.