All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:17 pm

So I take it the Elvis Collection from 2003 (04?) did not sell very well. I notice it's currently being liquidated for around $20 in stores. (My local Target actually has the same two copies displayed that they've had from the start!)

It's still a shame that the remaining dvds haven't been released, considering there are only a handful needed to complete everyone's collection. Couldn't they release the discs in a very limited run, or sell them exclusively through EP.com?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:26 pm

Elvislennon; Charro! was not part of NBC TV special contract. Change of Habit was. And I mean the movie, not me :lol:

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:04 am

Umm, sir that is wrong. Charro was part of the NBC Contract. I should know this because I have a copy of that contract in my collection. I have some copies of his contracts and I know what they mostly say and I know that one is a fact. I can even should you books that will say the same thing. Even on a video box of Charro that came out a few years ago said told the story that this movie was under the same deal as The NBC Special.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:09 am

James77 wrote:So I take it the Elvis Collection from 2003 (04?) did not sell very well. I notice it's currently being liquidated for around $20 in stores. (My local Target actually has the same two copies displayed that they've had from the start!)

It's still a shame that the remaining dvds haven't been released, considering there are only a handful needed to complete everyone's collection. Couldn't they release the discs in a very limited run, or sell them exclusively through EP.com?

Only that companies that made the movies can release the movies of Elvis that is remaining. The only ones will not be release by it original companies would be Tickle Me and Charro. They was made by two different companies. They are now owned by Warner Brothers. EPE has no say so in that matter even though they are for the release of these movies.

As far as I know the following needs to be release or re-release:
Girl Happy
Kissin Cousins
Tickle Me
Stay Away Joe
Live A Little Love A Little
Charro (only release in the US for a very limited time but it was a region free DVD)
That's The Way It Is (1970) (This was release for a short time but pull of the market.)
Elvis On Tour

Those are the only movies that needs to be release of all of his movies.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:48 am

What wonders me is the fact that sales are so low. Its hard to believe they don't sell enough to justify a proper release. We all know that broadcasting Elvis That's The Way It Is SE was not a smart move, and probably did hurt the DVD-sales. Although I can't imagine there is an Elvis fan around that doesn't own an original copy of the TTWII SE DVD.

Browsing through Amazon shows dvd's from all kind of artists which are not even half as famous as Elvis, and then there is a gem like Elvis on Tour still unreleased. Personally I don't watch his movies that much, and I think they are dated (at least the past army movies), but the releases of the NBC-TV special and Aloha from Hawaii did have impressive sales to my knowledge so there should be a market for the Elvis on Tour material or even the Elvis in Concert footage.

I only hope that when they actually release some concert-material the sound will be less weak. I have the original TTWII dvd and the sound is very poor, and I don't like the sound on the TTWII SE neither. Mixing in the BMG sound from one of the august 1970 concerts released is much more powerfull.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:49 am

The one that mystifies me on the MIA list is Girl Happy. That's always been a popular one among even casual Elvis fans. Is there some legal hangup on that one.

(Kissin' Cousins, too, seems as if it's at least as worthy as a few that have made it to market.)

I have my own personal reasons to want a high-quality transfer of Tickle Me, but that's another matter.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:29 am

elvissessions.com wrote:...I have my own personal reasons to want a high-quality transfer of Tickle Me, but that's another matter...

Hmmm. Could those reasons include the vivacious miss Lane?

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:33 am

:oops:

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:56 am

Sorry if this appears to be a bit dumb of me but here goes anyway.....

Is there no way any of these films can be released to the fan clubs or forums by pre-order in other words can't the companies send out a wish list for instance then they know how many need to be made.

I can understand if it wont be viable for them to release say for instance 100,000 and they made a loss if they didnt sell,but what if they got orders for say 30,000 or more surely it would be worthwhile for them that way....just my opinion :?

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:51 am

Question for tom in north Carolina:

Tom I just thought of a question that is slightly different than the previous query I had for you.

Tom, lets say all the studios thru out the outtakes as per the request of the fake colonel.

First off, an outtake, to me, is a scene that is already in the movie and either one of the actors goofed, or it could have been improved on.

Ok, that said, what about the songs that were filmed and actually made to the theatre but have since were never used on television or video.

I am talking about filmed songs such as "britches", "where do you come from", "wisdom of the ages", "summer kisses", "steppin out of line", and a few others.

You follow where I am going with this? These are not outtakes, per se, but rather deleted scenes, so would they have survived after the initail outtakes were throw out?

Some fans actually have seen these when the films first came out at the theatre. So wouldn't it be possible that these completed "in-takes" still survive in the film vaults?

Curious as to what you think about this.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:53 am

It depends on how much fans of the movies want it release. If they know how much fans want a certain movie release then it would be considered as a possible release. Example: Superman II - This movie was originally directed by Richard Donner. Well, as you see now there is two different Superman II available right now - Superman II and Superman II The Richard Donner Cut. The Richard Donner Cut was release because of the big out cry for the scenes that he shot to be release. One fan even went as far as making his own version of Superman II. Warner Bros threated him of a lawsuit. That version even made headlines on TV and it was a bootleg.

So it really depends on how much fans want a movie to be release. It also depends if the company wants it to be release or not. So how far will a fan go for the movie he or she likes to be release.

There is other reasons to. Maybe they hate the movie so they won't release it. Maybe it might be banned in this country as Song of the South is. So there is several other reasons.

As for fan clubs, They need permission from the company most of the time to release a movie as a fan club project.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:34 am

On the point about throwing out outtakes, maybe it was general practice, but we do know some survived. Short outtakes from Jailhouse Rock have been seen. More interestingly, in an interview with Essential Elvis a couple of years ago, Bud Glass said that hours of Jailhouse Rock outtakes exist. I got the impression that he had seen it.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:31 am

First of all, your definition of an outtake is pretty accurate. Outtakes also include various pick up and coverage shots, what are commonly referred to as "bloopers" (God, I hate that word), multiple takes of a specific shot, and sometimes entire scenes that have been cut for one reason or another, often for pacing. During the editing process, these were trimmed (hence their other name-trims) and in most cases just thrown out as there was no forseeable use for them ever again.
Now, when you're talking about edits that were made for television broadcasts (either for content or for time) then those cuts are made to rental or "broadcast" prints not the original print. In addition, if it's a major network broadcast of a film, then the studio often provides (for a huge fee) additional scenes (Jaws and Superman II come to mind when shown on ABC) to either make them "special" or to fill out a specific amount of time. While all of the is going on, the original negative/print remains intact in a vault somewhere. Thus, from a physical standpoint, the TV version has little to do with the original. To define scenes that were shown in the theatrical release, but not on television as deleted is inaccurate. These are edits, not deletions. I know it sounds comparable, but there's actually a big difference. I have no doubt that all of Elvis' films exist in their original theatrical release form, but most (not all) of the outtakes (as described above) are long gone. I hope that helps.

Tom

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:10 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:In addition, if it's a major network broadcast of a film, then the studio often provides (for a huge fee) additional scenes (Jaws and Superman II come to mind when shown on ABC) to either make them "special" or to fill out a specific amount of time. While all of the is going on, the original negative/print remains intact in a vault somewhere. Thus, from a physical standpoint, the TV version has little to do with the original.

Is this why the tv scenes were not included in the new Superman set? Is it rare for tv footage to be unearthed for a dvd release?

(I'm still holding out hope that a future release of The Jerk will include that guy crying about his airplane's leather seats.)

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:47 am

Tom wrote:
To define scenes that were shown in the theatrical release, but not on television as deleted is inaccurate. These are edits, not deletions.

Right, that makes sense, but wouldn't they be called deletions if those scenes were missing on the VHS or DVD editions?

I understand television in the old days used to cut films to pieces because they wanted to fit the movie in a 2 hours slot and put a bunch of commercials in there.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 am

James77 wrote: Is this why the tv scenes were not included in the new Superman set? Is it rare for tv footage to be unearthed for a dvd release?

A lot of the footage added to the ABC broadcast was made up of alternate takes and deleted scenes. I was very surprised that the majority of these didn't make the Ultimate Superman set.

ekenee wrote:Tom wrote:
To define scenes that were shown in the theatrical release, but not on television as deleted is inaccurate. These are edits, not deletions.

Right, that makes sense, but wouldn't they be called deletions if those scenes were missing on the VHS or DVD editions?

In my opinion, no. I view the theatrical release as the primary cut of a film. If edits are made for TV or (Heaven forbid) for a DVD/VHS release, then it is an edited version of the original.

ekenee wrote:I understand television in the old days used to cut films to pieces because they wanted to fit the movie in a 2 hours slot and put a bunch of commercials in there.

The average movie is 1 hour 36 minutes long and when a network airs a movie in a 2 hour slot, it has approximately 88 minutes to devote to the film (the rest is commercials), so you can do the math. That, of course doesn't even take into consideration edits for content (language/sex/blood). If you'll notice, the major networks have slowly gotten away from showing theatrical movies at all. The main reason for this is that these films cost the networks a hefty chunk of change and considering the availability of them on DVD, the ratings have been increasingly low.

Tom

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Elvis Sessionss- I would guess that Girl Happy is missing because of "Starting Tonight". It was omitted from the video tape for publishing reasons and if Warner can't get an agreement on it, I can see why they wouldn't release it.

I wouldn't take the Elvis box selling at a low price to be indicative of its popularity. Other multi-disc boxed sets I have seen under $20 this holiday season include Gone With the Wind 4 Disc SE, Ben Hur 4 Disc SE, The Steve McQueen Collection (an absolute steal at some Walmarts this week for $17.99), and The James Dean Collection. Pretty good company if you ask me.

Also it wasn't the greatest box in the world. Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock were both stuffed in the box without any upgrades and still in the snap case, blatantly sticking out of the box. Not all the Elvis movies re-released at that time were in the box. And many outlets had the box at something like $70 while other outlets had individual titles for $9.99 completely the opposite of other boxes that were more economic. Plus to get it you had to buy the exact same titles you had before. When the new Bogart set came out, it included a brand new Maltese Falcon. You were upgrading instead of repeating.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Warner has released lot's of good DVD's with good extras but not when it comes to Elvis. Paramount doesn't include extras on classic films either. I did buy few days ago Dirty Dozen 2 Disc Edition (Warner) and it had great extras, including the sequel to the film.

Who ever get those TTWII outtakes from Warner? Big thanks to him/her.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:40 pm

changeofhabit wrote:Warner has released lot's of good DVD's with good extras but not when it comes to Elvis. Paramount doesn't include extras on classic films either. I did buy few days ago Dirty Dozen 2 Disc Edition (Warner) and it had great extras, including the sequel to the film.

Who ever get those TTWII outtakes from Warner? Big thanks to him/her.

Tom and I have both said that there can't be extras due to the fact that stuff that was used in his movies was destroy. Only a theaterical trailer can be on the DVD since there is nothing else that can be put on the DVD. Maybe a photo gallery at best. Loving You DVD contains several entertainment stars who talks about Loving You. That is the only DVD that contains a special feature.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:42 pm

likethebike wrote:Elvis Sessionss- I would guess that Girl Happy is missing because of "Starting Tonight". It was omitted from the video tape for publishing reasons and if Warner can't get an agreement on it, I can see why they wouldn't release it.

I wouldn't take the Elvis box selling at a low price to be indicative of its popularity. Other multi-disc boxed sets I have seen under $20 this holiday season include Gone With the Wind 4 Disc SE, Ben Hur 4 Disc SE, The Steve McQueen Collection (an absolute steal at some Walmarts this week for $17.99), and The James Dean Collection. Pretty good company if you ask me.

Also it wasn't the greatest box in the world. Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock were both stuffed in the box without any upgrades and still in the snap case, blatantly sticking out of the box. Not all the Elvis movies re-released at that time were in the box. And many outlets had the box at something like $70 while other outlets had individual titles for $9.99 completely the opposite of other boxes that were more economic. Plus to get it you had to buy the exact same titles you had before. When the new Bogart set came out, it included a brand new Maltese Falcon. You were upgrading instead of repeating.

Viva Las Vegas that is in the box set is the original DVD. The second DVD that came out looks like the 1997 video box. It is in a regular DVD case.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:09 pm

As fro Superman II, those scenes that Richard Lester film was going to be in the original theaterical version but it was cut because the movie was too long. That is how Lester feel about it. If you can find Superman II - The Restored International Cut that was made by a fan. When you put it on subtitles it will tell you all the was filmed by Lester and what is filmed by Donner. When Lester took over only Christopher Reeve, Miggot Kidder, Marc McClure, Susannah York, Jackie Cooper, and the ones who played the villians was the only ones who came back for Superman II. Gene Hackman, Marlon Brando, Ned Beatty, Valerie Perrine and others didn't want to come back because the way Donner was fired. So any scene that is in Superman II where you can see Gene, Ned, Valerie faces was filmed by Donner. When you don't see their faces it was filmed by Lester using a body double and a bad voice over. But the scenes that was shown on ABC was mostly from the workprint minus the added Donner scenes. Those scenes was inserted into the film to make it longer. So when that was seen back in the 80s. Fans recorded it and gave them to the one fan who made Superman II - The Restored International Cut. That is the longest version of Superman II that is available anywhere. It runs for 146 minutes. So the scenes in the movies wasn't really part of the theaterical release but part of the workprint except for the Donner scenes. They weren't deleted scenes but additional scenes that wasn't used. As for being those scenes not part of the new DVD, I wouldn't know why they are not unless they couldn't find them. At least they found the Donner scenes that was used for that ABC boardcast and used for the DVD Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut.

As for Bud Glass seeing the Jailhouse Rock scenes that wasn't used. Why is he the only one to see them and no one else. If he says yes they do exist. One question How in the world does he know they exist? Has he been to the salt mine. Has anyone on here seen that place? You know how likely to find a outtake from a Elvis movie. Very silm but there is a chance. It took years and years to get the TTWII outtakes and EOT outtakes on the black market. The one who was part of the recreation of TTWII SE even said it was a hard process to find film that wasn't label to see if it even a chance a outtake from that movie. I wouldn't believe Bud on that comment. If some does exist it would be very very little. Maybe the alternate guitar smashing scene might exist. I would say that would be it.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:19 pm

quote: Maybe the alternate guitar smashing scene might exist.

That scene is in the original trailer for everyone to see.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:43 am

ekenee wrote:quote: Maybe the alternate guitar smashing scene might exist.

That scene is in the original trailer for everyone to see.

I am talking about the whole scene itself. Not was shown in the trailer. I mean the scene beyond the trailer. I talking about the whole scene itself. That is what I mean. I was trying to say that since it appears in the trailer that there is a chance that it might exist. Because you need to remember that trailers will have some differences in it and those differences will not be in the movie. Elvis' contract said that all extra footage was to be destroy then that scene is available then the odds of that existing beyond the trailer is a 50% chance. Because the contract doesn't say if the scenes after the workprint to be destroy or after the final theaterical version to be destory. It just says that all extra footage is too be destroy. So if it was order that after the workprint that extra footage is to be destroy then there is a good chance it might survive. But if the extra footage was to be destroy after the final version was done then it is not so good that it exists. it just exists in the trailer and that is it.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:04 am

sorry I misunder stood. If you notice that quite a few scenes in trailers do not include the master take, it shows that the trailers were put together before the actual movie editing took place. I just hope that one day a full on special edition of "jailhouse rock" can be put out with lots of outtakes.
I would buy it for sure.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:08 am

ekenee wrote:sorry I misunder stood. If you notice that quite a few scenes in trailers do not include the master take, it shows that the trailers were put together before the actual movie editing took place. I just hope that one day a full on special edition of "jailhouse rock" can be put out with lots of outtakes.
I would buy it for sure.

Well, I really can ony see that the alternate guitar scene might exist. That is beyond the trailer. As for others I won't bet my life on that outtakes exists on any Elvis movie.

Most trailers are done by using the workprint. But when the final product is release then those scenes are taken out. Well, this day in time their might be a unrated or director's cut. I don't see any Elvis movie except for TTWII and EOT to have any outtakes with the DVDs.