All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:16 am

elvislennon wrote:As for Bud Glass seeing the Jailhouse Rock scenes that wasn't used. Why is he the only one to see them and no one else. If he says yes they do exist. One question How in the world does he know they exist? Has he been to the salt mine. Has anyone on here seen that place? You know how likely to find a outtake from a Elvis movie. Very silm but there is a chance. It took years and years to get the TTWII outtakes and EOT outtakes on the black market. The one who was part of the recreation of TTWII SE even said it was a hard process to find film that wasn't label to see if it even a chance a outtake from that movie. I wouldn't believe Bud on that comment. If some does exist it would be very very little. Maybe the alternate guitar smashing scene might exist. I would say that would be it.

No idea how he has seen them. Perhaps they slipped into the hands of a private collector. It would be a strange thing to just make up though. If he's a member of this board, perhaps he can clear it up. Or maybe someone knows him and can ask?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:19 am

Drew Barrymore has just signed up to Warners - they've delayed the release of her first 2 films 'Music & Lyrics' & 'Lucky You' the later has been put back several times. Any idea why?

(Sorry big puzzled Drew fan who can find no answers)

Is it any suprise that sales of Elvis films on DVD are low knowing the way things are copied by fans and the way the films ( barring the more dramatic vechiles) have been dismissed out of hand through the years.

Vanilla edition DVDs with no extras and soundtracks in MONO - they're not making the most of the films or the format. They think fans are still in Betamax land and play Elvis 78's on gramaphones.

A lot of the films are shown for free on TV channels like TCM and most fans have the films on video anyway. I have all the films that are available on DVD- the picture quality is better than video but that alone is not incentive enough for most people to buy.

If Warner or whoever aren't making money from the Elvis films - why not sell everything the footage and the rights on to a company that could make money out them and do Elvis justice on DVD?

Its kinda sad that Elvis merchandise and tat sells better than Elvis films on DVD.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:27 am

paulwood wrote:If Warner or whoever aren't making money from the Elvis films - why not sell everything the footage and the rights on to a company that could make money out them and do Elvis justice on DVD?

Paul,
While I agree with most of your post, your statement above puzzles me. If a major studio, with its monumental PR department can't make any money off of these DVD's, what in the world makes you think a smaller distributor would? Also, the price for the complete rights to one film (much less an entire artist library) would be astronomical. Far too expensive for anyone less than another major studio.

Tom

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:36 am

I think EP.com is on the right track with their new limited edition set, even though it's still horribly overpriced. But if they could work out a deal with Warner to release the final 6 films, I would gladly shell out $120.

The fact that there are so many titles, with few real standouts, obviously does not make it easy to market these films. And even if they wanted to add bonus content, they would largely have to create it themselves.

However, the most logical incentive would be an added commentary track for each film. Most fans would probably be interested in hearing Elvis recollections directly from the cast and crew (especially from the leading ladies).

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:44 am

paulwood wrote:'Lucky You' the later has been put back several times. Any idea why?

(Sorry big puzzled Drew fan who can find no answers)

Because it sux. The film has had to go through re-shoots and has been moved to a weaker time of year (March) where it has a slightly better chance of finding an audience.

(Sorry not a Drew fan who knows how to use Google).

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:18 am

I don't necessarily agree that they're not making money. Maybe That's the Way it is didn't make money because they spent a lot on it but nearly all the Elvis movies that have been released are still in print to my knowledge. It may be the case that they haven't been moneymakers but it doesn't seem likely.

I think we're ignoring here the fact that DVD is still in its relative infancy. It took years to get everything out on VHS. What's more in DVD we're still waiting for official releases on certified classics like The African Queen. More and better Elvis releases could be on the way.

Tom- I think smaller companies could make money because they are satisfied with lower profit margins. There are not tons of shareholders to satisfy. They also have operating expenses. Look at the mail order company Collector's Choice Records, they make money on their releases selling half the CDs of a major label. Their CDs do sell at retail but they don't bust a gut on getting shop placement and promotion. Look at the import record labels like Ace. They do great work and their stuff surely doesn't move 10,000 copies worldwide. It's niche stuff.