All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

DVD question for Tom in NC

Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:24 am

It's been a while that we had some info about the last batch of Elvis films to be released by Warner Bros. It's most likely that we got This Is Elvis in 2007 but there are still a few more left in the can. I know that if you have any kind of info, you're not the guy who'll release them but i think you're purdy close to the fire. So can you tell us anything about the progress. I mean do they have good transfers of the films (like the latter ones) and is there any progress in streetdates. It's unbelievable that old movies as they are still not are released. While Warner has a fantastic line of old movies like: 3 or so Humphrey Bogart set's, Hitchcock signature set, James Stewart and Cary Cooper and Robert Mitchum set's and so on. Or do they have a problem that these pictures are not real good movies? And that they are not buck making dvd's? Last time you told us that they will come, i hope i live to tell. Tom we all here are Elvis fans, we're not gonna tell WHV that you told us anything.

Re: DVD question for Tom in NC

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:28 am

philobeddo wrote:It's been a while that we had some info about the last batch of Elvis films to be released by Warner Bros. It's most likely that we got This Is Elvis in 2007 but there are still a few more left in the can. I know that if you have any kind of info, you're not the guy who'll release them but i think you're purdy close to the fire. So can you tell us anything about the progress. I mean do they have good transfers of the films (like the latter ones) and is there any progress in streetdates. It's unbelievable that old movies as they are still not are released. While Warner has a fantastic line of old movies like: 3 or so Humphrey Bogart set's, Hitchcock signature set, James Stewart and Cary Cooper and Robert Mitchum set's and so on. Or do they have a problem that these pictures are not real good movies? And that they are not buck making dvd's? Last time you told us that they will come, i hope i live to tell.


It has been widely reported that a multi-disc special edition of This is Elvis is in the works and is hopefully set for release next year. Beyond that I am not at liberty to deny or confirm anything. I can tell you that the studio has the absolute best quality prints (as well as the negatives) of all of the films in question and that they are being strongly considered for release, perhaps on a special anniversary or some time like that. As far as old films being released, as much as we hate to hear this, Elvis' catalog is not a high priority at all. Sales of Elvis' movies on DVD has been abysmal at best and sales are what drive the studios into releasing older films from their libraries. I would just recommend that you stay tuned, be patient and look at my signature below.

P.S.
philobeddo wrote:Tom we all here are Elvis fans, we're not gonna tell WHV that you told us anything.


What makes you think that Warner doesn't visit this site?? They do. :wink:

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:13 am

Quote: Sales of Elvis' movies on DVD has been abysmal at best.

********************************

But do they rent well? The rental business is there too.

I have never bought any Elvis movies on DVD or VHS.

The reason: no outtakes or extras.

I am content to rent them if only the movie is on the disc.

I don't want to get into another debate on this Tom, but those studio's are partly at fault as to why there is low sales of Elvis movies.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:11 am

ekenee wrote:But do they rent well? The rental business is there too.


DVD rentals figures are miniscule and pretty much insignificant as far as the studios are concerned. Sales are where the money is.

ekenee wrote:I have never bought any Elvis movies on DVD or VHS. The reason: no outtakes or extras.


I agree completely about the extras being non existant, but I still own most of the movies on DVD. To not own them and then bitch about all not being released is simply hypocritical, in my opinion.


ekenee wrote:I don't want to get into another debate on this Tom, but those studio's are partly at fault as to why there is low sales of Elvis movies.


I agree to an extent. Sure the studios could do a much better job marketing this film or that film when it's released on DVD. Unfortunately, they don't have that kind of money and throw most of their resources at newer movies being released. The Internet has also become a huge sounding board for studios to get the word out about their releases. Just look at all of the ads on any major DVD site. Word of mouth (via the Internet) is another source of information about upcoming releases and the studios do use "plants" to get those balls rolling. Think about it...most of us just bought the Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show DVD set, but did anyone see an actual ad for it anywhere???

Tom

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 am

Another reason that the studios may be reluctant to buy Elvis movies is that even the fans on message boards go out of their way to complain about them and say that they never should have been made and shouldn't be watched.... people can have their opinions, but if I heard that stuff from the fan base I was potentially shooting for and didn't personally have a passion for Elvis, I sure wouldn't feel like releasing that material.

There are counter points against that one I'm sure, but it would still hold water, I imagine. Am I hitting on anything right with that, Tom? Just wondering. :)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:21 am

Perhaps it will be the original theatrical version on one and the extended version on the other. Now that would be cool!

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:49 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote: The Internet has also become a huge sounding board for studios to get the word out about their releases. Just look at all of the ads on any major DVD site. Word of mouth (via the Internet) is another source of information about upcoming releases and the studios do use "plants" to get those balls rolling. Think about it...most of us just bought the Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show DVD set, but did anyone see an actual ad for it anywhere???

Tom


Well-- for what it's worth, I did. Image Entertainment put one in Rolling Stone. :)

-Kevin

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:03 am

JamieAKelley wrote:Am I hitting on anything right with that, Tom? Just wondering. :)

More than you know!


General Sarnoff wrote:Well-- for what it's worth, I did. Image Entertainment put one in Rolling Stone.

That's cool. I totally missed that ad.

Tom

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:42 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
JamieAKelley wrote:Am I hitting on anything right with that, Tom? Just wondering. :)

More than you know!


General Sarnoff wrote:Well-- for what it's worth, I did. Image Entertainment put one in Rolling Stone.

That's cool. I totally missed that ad.

Tom


I did too, in the Mail On Sunday a few weeks back,

it was being advertised with three other DVDs by

HMV.

8)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:06 pm

It has been widely reported that a multi-disc special edition of This is Elvis is in the works and is hopefully set for release next year. Beyond that I am not at liberty to deny or confirm anything. I can tell you that the studio has the absolute best quality prints (as well as the negatives) of all of the films in question and that they are being strongly considered for release, perhaps on a special anniversary or some time like that. As far as old films being released, as much as we hate to hear this, Elvis' catalog is not a high priority at all. Sales of Elvis' movies on DVD has been abysmal at best and sales are what drive the studios into releasing older films from their libraries. I would just recommend that you stay tuned, be patient and look at my signature below


Thanx Tom, clear story but not surprising. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long. By the way i didn't know that Warner is spying over the internet. By the thought i can imagine it, and i think it's first because of piracy things and that''s a good point though. And i'm sure not wanna get you in to troubles. Oh and another thing (off topic) still no sight on a Martin & Lewis collection here in Europe, guess i have to wait some more.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:14 pm

I think a nail in the coffin for quality Elvis DVD's was the disaster involving the release of TTWII SE.

They start well by giving it a Theatrical release, whetting the appetite, and promising that all of the material available in the original movie will be on the DVD, when it's released.

In the laws of supply and demand, theyve done well - they've certainly created demand for a quality product, and we're all clamouring for this release. Then, they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

In an age when nearly everyone has a VCR, and some a DVDR, they manage to broadcast the film on TV, including extra songs that won't be on the DVD! The immediate demand has then been satisfied. Then, they decide not to include the bonus material, despite the expense has aleady happened in terms of the production of it, and remove a couple of the songs from the version that's already been shown on TV!

This is a catalogue of schoolboy marketing errors, and they are then suprised that the DVD didn't do as well as expected! To be fair, despite all this, the DVD did do fairly well here in the UK, remaining on chart for a while.

Hopefully, the expanded TIE, with complete performances, may repair some of the damage.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom, that if we want to see more, and better quality releases, we MUST support product when it comes out. Those who complain, but don't buy the product, are part of the issue. It's all about sales at the end of the day.

Re: DVD question for Tom in NC

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:26 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
philobeddo wrote:It's been a while that we had some info about the last batch of Elvis films to be released by Warner Bros. It's most likely that we got This Is Elvis in 2007 but there are still a few more left in the can. I know that if you have any kind of info, you're not the guy who'll release them but i think you're purdy close to the fire. So can you tell us anything about the progress. I mean do they have good transfers of the films (like the latter ones) and is there any progress in streetdates. It's unbelievable that old movies as they are still not are released. While Warner has a fantastic line of old movies like: 3 or so Humphrey Bogart set's, Hitchcock signature set, James Stewart and Cary Cooper and Robert Mitchum set's and so on. Or do they have a problem that these pictures are not real good movies? And that they are not buck making dvd's? Last time you told us that they will come, i hope i live to tell.


It has been widely reported that a multi-disc special edition of This is Elvis is in the works and is hopefully set for release next year. Beyond that I am not at liberty to deny or confirm anything. I can tell you that the studio has the absolute best quality prints (as well as the negatives) of all of the films in question and that they are being strongly considered for release, perhaps on a special anniversary or some time like that. As far as old films being released, as much as we hate to hear this, Elvis' catalog is not a high priority at all. Sales of Elvis' movies on DVD has been abysmal at best and sales are what drive the studios into releasing older films from their libraries. I would just recommend that you stay tuned, be patient and look at my signature below.

P.S.
philobeddo wrote:Tom we all here are Elvis fans, we're not gonna tell WHV that you told us anything.


What makes you think that Warner doesn't visit this site?? They do. :wink:


Man, do you really work for WB? :shock:

Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:10 am

I love my job.

Tom

Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:33 am

off topic question for tom in north carolina.
do you know why warner hasn't release any of the allied artists films like snowfire from 1958 or any other film from the allied artists catalog?

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:02 pm

I think there is something beyond unpopularity of Elvis' films if they don't sell. While few people are clamoring for a DVD of Stay Away Joe, there is an audience for movies like Girl Happy and the already released Blue Hawaii, Fun in Acapulco etc. If there weren't there wouldn't be a marathon twice a year on AMC. Think about it, you think AMC doesn't care about selling air time those days just so they could honor Elvis??? Plus, I have seen so many specific niche' DVDs these recent years that appeal to a far smaller audience than Elvis' movies. I mean who are the thousands buying Putney Swope for instance? I know it has a cult but that cult is not nearly so large as Elvis'.

My other frustration is that if the majors don't want to release this stuff why don't they license it to a smaller company that does? A lot of the smaller companies release movies just due to the names of the people involved and Elvis is a name. A DVD on Alpha video is not the best presentation but it's better than no presentation at all.

That said the second round of Paramount releases was kind of an insult to fans. No trailer, crummy scene break up, no extras and (initially) released at full price.

I think we'll see the final MGM/Warner movies. They'll probably remaster Jailhouse Rock or Viva Las Vegas in a special edition and toss in some of the lesser titles into a box only. This is what they did with most of their stars from Brando, Gary Cooper, even Bogart etc.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:19 am

Just slap 'em all in a 20DVD box set with a bonus disc of rare material like they did with Laurel and Hardy's Hal Roch films. That'd do me!! :D

Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:55 am

ritchie valens wrote:off topic question for tom in north carolina.
do you know why warner hasn't release any of the allied artists films like snowfire from 1958 or any other film from the allied artists catalog?


Did you know that Allied Artists' first successful release as a studio was none other than Tickle Me. Plans are in the works to release some of the Allied Artist/Monogram films in the not-too-distant future. Stay tuned.

Tom

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:34 pm

Tom,

Can you confirm or deny the existence of any outtakes from Elvis' films? I, like many others, would love extras on an Elvis movie DVD, but theres no sense in hoping for it if all the unused footage was destroyed or lost...

Axe

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:51 pm

Axeman wrote:Tom,

Can you confirm or deny the existence of any outtakes from Elvis' films?


I really don’t mean to cause any offence, but I can’t work out why everyone here assumes that Tom might have inside information like this. His posts only appear to contain speculation or news from press releases. Your average Blockbuster employee would have the same level of knowledge from reading industry flyers and postings at sites like http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

Like any news provider, it is important to understand the credibility of the source. Tom has nothing to prove, but I am curious to know if his comments carry any authority.

Chris

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks for that site ChrisM

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 am

Tom you made some good points.

I never saw a single ad for the Sullivan set either. Plus none of the retailers put it in there Sunday ad circular, so other than fans, who would know its even out?

When the Beatles Sullivan set came out, I saw tons of promotion and most retailers put in on sale in their ad circulars.

Tom one more added note: My policy is to only buy movies on DVD when there are extras. Otherwise I only rent.
This is my policy on non-Elvis films as well.

My reasoning is: I have seen the pattern. I have noticed many of my favorite movies released barebones, then re-released with special editions. I don't think its hypocritical in the least. It is smart and it saves money. I don't wanna buy the same movie over and over again.
I am patient as well. I will wait it out. My feeling is, these outtakes and extras will come on Elvis films one day.

PS. I have a friend that is really pissed off because he bought all 11 seasons of MASH, and it had no extras. Now they come out with a box set of all 11 seasons with extras. He is not going to spend $180 and re-buy all 11 seasons just to get 3 hours of extras. You can see how frustrating this all is. So with every release that comes with no extras on it, I am predicting that one day it will and then I will buy. THe people that are making the Seinfeld box sets are doing it right and getting my business because these sets are packed with extras. All I am saying is the studios need to give us value for our money.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:27 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:off topic question for tom in north carolina.
do you know why warner hasn't release any of the allied artists films like snowfire from 1958 or any other film from the allied artists catalog?


Did you know that Allied Artists' first successful release as a studio was none other than Tickle Me. Plans are in the works to release some of the Allied Artist/Monogram films in the not-too-distant future. Stay tuned.

Tom


Are you saying that -

Papillon
Cabaret
El Cid
Invasion Of The Body Snathchers
Friendly Persuasion

- were not commercial successful :D

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:34 am

ChrisM wrote:
Axeman wrote:Tom,

Can you confirm or deny the existence of any outtakes from Elvis' films?


I really don’t mean to cause any offence, but I can’t work out why everyone here assumes that Tom might have inside information

Chris


Because he seems to have known,or met,every celebrity that dies,or he plays Golf with the rest of Hollywood.

That's why !!!!

:lol:

PS..Yeah..thanks for the link ChrisM.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:00 am

Axeman wrote:Tom,
Can you confirm or deny the existence of any outtakes from Elvis' films? I, like many others, would love extras on an Elvis movie DVD, but theres no sense in hoping for it if all the unused footage was destroyed or lost...

Axe


There are some outtakes and alternate takes from a few of Elvis' films floating around or at least there were 20 years ago. However, the quality varies from fair to borderline unwatchable. I have seen some of these in private and I even saw some at a Something for Everbody convention back in the 80's.
It was the Colonels policy that all unused footage from Elvis' films be destroyed. Plus in most cases they simply didn't keep outtakes the way they do now. We all know pretty much what is out there for TTWII and On Tour, but my guess is that we will never see much in the line of outtakes from Elvis' other films, but then again what do I know?? (see below)


ChrisM wrote:I really don’t mean to cause any offence, but I can’t work out why everyone here assumes that Tom might have inside information like this. His posts only appear to contain speculation or news from press releases. Your average Blockbuster employee would have the same level of knowledge from reading industry flyers and postings at sites like http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

Like any news provider, it is important to understand the credibility of the source. Tom has nothing to prove, but I am curious to know if his comments carry any authority.


How in the world could I possibly take any offence (sic) at that??

Tom

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:05 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:How in the world could I possibly take any offence (sic) at that??

Tom


Surely you can take a step back and appreciate that your revelations such as the existence of movie out takes and your continued hints at forthcoming releases are bound to be received with a little scepticism. I am genuinely interested to know what position you hold in the movie industry. It is a shame that you continue to evade the question.

Incidentally, how do you spell ‘offence’ or what do you think ‘sic’ means? That one went straight over my head.

Chris