All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: American has landed...

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:03 am

Mike S wrote:For any who have not yet noticed, there is a new and additional review for this release now showing (under Latest Import Review)

It's an interesting read and provides a detailed overview of this period. Not often a release attracts TWO reviews on this site eh?

Great stuff Mike, thanks again!

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:13 am

Mike S wrote:For any who have not yet noticed, there is a new and additional review for this release now showing (under Latest Import Review)

It's an interesting read and provides a detailed overview of this period. Not often a release attracts TWO reviews on this site eh?

Hi all,
maybe i'm being really dense.... but where is the "Latest Import Review" section?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:20 pm

Pseudonym wrote:

Hi all,
maybe i'm being really dense.... but where is the "Latest Import Review" section?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Go to the Home page of this site, and in the centre of the screen there is a big blue box with several options. The top one is cunningly disguised as "latest import review" - just click on there and Bob's your Uncle!!

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:10 am

It looks like there is a new review of "The American Way, Vol. 1" on the "Elvis in Norway" site now, but unfortunately not a very enthusiastic one...

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:18 am

thenexte wrote:It looks like there is a new review of "The American Way, Vol. 1" on the "Elvis in Norway" site now, but unfortunately not a very enthusiastic one...

are there ever any enthusiastic reviews on the Norway site???

american has landed

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:47 am

... thenexte, on a scale of 1 to 5 , the Norway site is rating 4 for

contents, 5 for sound and 6 [ ! ] for artwork.

By the way, is there any truth to the rumor, you and Tony are

headlining in that new play "The Old Bitches" in London's West End?!

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:45 am

I thought the Norway site review was fair. I can see how this release would not be as exciting for fans that already have American Crown Jewels and Finding the Way Home, luckly I don't have the latter so I am enjoying this cd greatly! As matter of fact I find it hard to get past the takes of In The Ghetto because the are so damn good! I keep hitting that replay button! 8)

JEFF d
EAP fan

American has landed...

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Kylan wrote:

Most definitely.

This site fuelled my interest in writing reviews and I am proud to have been a contributor.

In addition, it is an extremely well designed site and Oven Egeland deserves considerable praise for all his work in maintaining it, along with his no nonsense reviews. Try spending some time there---it's a rewarding experience.

Regarding his recent review, as Ger has observed, the scores he gives this release speak for themselves.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Mike S wrote:Kylan wrote:

Most definitely.

This site fuelled my interest in writing reviews and I am proud to have been a contributor.

In addition, it is an extremely well designed site and Oven Egeland deserves considerable praise for all his work in maintaining it, along with his no nonsense reviews. Try spending some time there---it's a rewarding experience.

I couldn't agree more. Oven's reviews are always interesting, and I, too, like the design very much. Elvis In Norway is an essential Elvis site. Along with this one, it's the only one I visit regularly. There is so much stuff to read and enjoy there...

Keith Richards, Jr.

american has landed

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:07 am

... A few questions regarding the fall out between Chips and Elvis,

after the vocal sessions were completed... Why did he choose not

to go back to American Sound, but back to Nashville, more than

a year later?... Both the June and September Studio B sessions

didnt give Elvis the worldwide hits he had hoped for, You Dont Have

To Say, Rags To Riches, Where Did They Go, Lord, as singles,

dont compare to the Majestic Suspicious Minds and Ghetto.

... where did things go wrong between Chips and Elvis?

And... Did Chips & co produced any 'classics' , after the sessions

with Elvis, in 69? When, and why did the studio closed its doors,

in the early seventies? ... Anybody?

Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:18 pm

There's a chapter about the '69 sessions in the Memphis Mafia book that sums it up fairly well, saying that the hits that resulted from these sessions were created right there and then in the American Sound studios, with Chips, the musicians and Elvis, pushing each other to the limits, trying out new arrangements, rather than aping what was on the demo (which is how Felton Jarvis produced most of Elvis' sessions). It seems this was more of a battle between Felton and Chips that ensued after the sessions, rather than Elvis and Chips. But in the end it's pretty obvious that in 1970 Felton had won out, and Elvis simply went back to his standard way of recording, "aping what was on the demo"...

For more info see also: http://www.elvispresleynews.com/ChipsMoman.html
Last edited by thenexte on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:52 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Mike S wrote:Kylan wrote:

Most definitely.

I couldn't agree more. Oven's reviews are always interesting, and I, too, like the design very much. Elvis In Norway is an essential Elvis site. Along with this one, it's the only one I visit regularly. There is so much stuff to read and enjoy there...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Oven's site is among the finest Elvis sites on the Net, and I'm not saying that because I'm a Norwegian!

Many different Reviewers from all around the World (in addition to Oven's own reviews) is making this site essential to visit.

Oh, and those (few) releases that get thumbs down, for the most deserves it...

ps There are enough of those sites that praises every damn release that comes along, making it very hard to determine if a product is worth the money or not...

Br
Kristian

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:46 am

I received "The American Way" CD, and previously played just the "Suspicious Minds" tracks.

Just got done listening to the entire CD - from beginning to end.

If anybody was on the fence about getting it or not - I'll tell you right now, it's a MUST HAVE.

If the next 4 volumes are like this, it's gonna be a great series. Sound quality is a 9.7 out of 10.

Rich

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:18 am

There's no doubt, this is a quality import releases. Booklet, sound and song listing - all fantastic. But why didn't we get the master takes to 'Ghetto, Suspicious and Kentucky'? Which would mean we would get
the 'undubbed masters' to these legendary songs. Can someone please
explain this to me ?
But overall, a great listen and very much looking forward to Vol 2 :smt023

Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:01 am

Rob V wrote:There's no doubt, this is a quality import releases. Booklet, sound and song listing - all fantastic. But why didn't we get the master takes to 'Ghetto, Suspicious and Kentucky'? Which would mean we would get
the 'undubbed masters' to these legendary songs. Can someone please
explain this to me ?
But overall, a great listen and very much looking forward to Vol 2 :smt023

I would assume that the "Master" takes were 'cut' from these tapes before being transferred to Mono and then leaked to the bootleggers!

All the same - This is a fantastic release, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:37 am

thenexte wrote:There's a chapter about the '69 sessions in the Memphis Mafia book that sums it up fairly well, saying that the hits that resulted from these sessions were created right there and then in the American Sound studios, with Chips, the musicians and Elvis, pushing each other to the limits, trying out new arrangements, rather than aping what was on the demo (which is how Felton Jarvis produced most of Elvis' sessions). It seems this was more of a battle between Felton and Chips that ensued after the sessions, rather than Elvis and Chips. But in the end it's pretty obvious that in 1970 Felton had won out, and Elvis simply went back to his standard way of recording, "aping what was on the demo"...

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed reading that. It's nice to know how those fantastic tracks were ''born''. The American Sound Session's set is one I listen to more than any these days.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:21 pm

thenexte wrote: But in the end it's pretty obvious that in 1970 Felton had won out, and Elvis simply went back to his standard way of recording, "aping what was on the demo"...

Not strictly true, at least not exclusively so. The Burning Love demo bears no relation to what Elvis, Felton and the band came up with.

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:35 pm

TJ wrote:
thenexte wrote: But in the end it's pretty obvious that in 1970 Felton had won out, and Elvis simply went back to his standard way of recording, "aping what was on the demo"...

Not strictly true, at least not exclusively so. The Burning Love demo bears no relation to what Elvis, Felton and the band came up with.

Maybe that's why he hated it, too damn complicated ... "Hey Charlie, what was on that demo again man ?!" ... :lol:

american has

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:41 pm

... Im not sure if all master takes were cut out of the session tape,

and landed on a seperate reel. In many cases it did happen that way.

On all 50s and 60s sessions, released on imports, in the past, the

master takes were missing... look at the ones done for Something

for Everybody, Pot Luck, etc, etc. Same must have happened on

the 69 sessions... Ive been told though, vol. 5 will contain quite a

few undubbed masters, but if they are all there, that I dont know?

... Im still hoping, someone will be able to shed some light on

what went on at American Sound after Elvis' recording work...?

Did the hits dried up after the first few months of 69...?

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:33 pm

I doubt if the master tapes were cut out of the reels as common in the 50's and 60's.

This being a multitrack session I would have thoght that they would reduced the 8 tracks down to 2 and used the result as the recording master. I really can't see a studio cutting and joining a 2' tape.

We know that the 8 track tapes from the variuos RCA releases over time.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:32 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:
If the next 4 volumes are like this, it's gonna be a great series. Sound quality is a 9.7 out of 10.

Rich

APART FROM THE WHOLE THING IS IN MONO!!! Compare these with the material on FTD's "Memphis sessions" cd. That is 10 out of 10.

American Has Landed....

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:10 pm

TONY wrote:
THE WHOLE THING IS IN MONO!!!

Tony, this is not quite true.

If you had read my review for this release, you would know that this was the case for all selections APART from Rubberneckin' which is in stereo.

Moreover, despite being mono the sound quality is crystal clear, proving to be sensational throughout.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:15 pm

Mono be damned. This is an excellent release and anyone passing it up is depriving themselves of a great CD.

Re: american has

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Im not sure if all master takes were cut out of the session tape,

and landed on a seperate reel. In many cases it did happen that way.

On all 50s and 60s sessions, released on imports, in the past, the

master takes were missing... look at the ones done for Something

for Everybody, Pot Luck, etc, etc. Same must have happened on

the 69 sessions... Ive been told though, vol. 5 will contain quite a

few undubbed masters, but if they are all there, that I dont know?

... Im still hoping, someone will be able to shed some light on

what went on at American Sound after Elvis' recording work...?

Did the hits dried up after the first few months of 69...?

Let's see if I can shed some light on this for you Ger. I am sure you are aware that Elvis never returned to American Studios because of the publishing fiasco around "Suspicious Minds" and Felton's overdubbed endning on that track seeking to replicate Elvis' on stage treatment of the song. For some reason, Elvis went along with this decision, though it is unclear why....perhaps out of loyalty to Felton.

As for what happened to American Studios, Chips wrote and produced a few more hits after Elvis left, including Aretha Franklin's "Do Right Man-Do Right Woman" and james Carr's "Dark End of the Street". But, by January 1971, the hits were over. Chips decided to pull up stakes and head to Atlanta and than Nashville - he and the house band were simply tired of Memphis.

Jerry Wexler, who used American Studio's frequently in the 60s, noted that the shift away from Memphis and Muscle Shoals, Alabama was in part traced back to assisination of Dr. King. Before the assisination, white musicians and black singers worked hand in hand, but after 1969, many black performers sought new sounds and wanted black players on their records.

Hope this helps Ger and that you are well.

Mike C

P.S.: Do you when Volume 2 of the American Way is set for release and what may be included on it?

Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:16 pm

Just gave this disc a spin....fantastic sound... awesome job..

But again some takes are missing..
In The Ghetto
take 13 (availible on Memphis Session FTD)
take 20 (on Today, Tomorrow And Forever)
take 23 (undubbed/unrepaired master as released on American Rejects)

But anyway..fantastic release..