All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:33 am

deadringer wrote:You are trying to persuade that CDR copy is identical to the original CD. I wrote that this is not true

What you are all forgetting is that CDR's are used to transfer music BEFORE it's remastered. As someone else (JLGB?) mentionned earlier, it's not a case of getting a bad CDR copy of a bootleg, it's a case of what would you rather have? - an 'Original' bootleg taken from dubious sources, or an EXACT (Digital) CDR copy of the 'ORIGINAL' session?

I know what I'd rather have!

Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:36 am

Keith F wrote:
deadringer wrote:You are trying to persuade that CDR copy is identical to the original CD. I wrote that this is not true

What you are all forgetting is that CDR's are used to transfer music BEFORE it's remastered. As someone else (JLGB?) mentionned earlier, it's not a case of getting a bad CDR copy of a bootleg, it's a case of what would you rather have? - an 'Original' bootleg taken from dubious sources, or an EXACT (Digital) CDR copy of the 'ORIGINAL' session?

I know what I'd rather have!
Thanks ...exactly what I have tried but failed to comunicate to other(s).

american has

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:34 am

... Having stayed away from the mb for a day, and this topic has

turned into cdrs and the sound quality of American Rejects, from

ages ago?! Thank you all for explaining things that has nothing to

do with The American Way.

... Please continue! Especially the guys who not even have heard

the cd in the first place....

... The original tapes, with the recorded acetates, have been in

my boss' collection when some of you were still in kindergarten...

And these tapes are not the ones used for Rejects.

They've been around LONG before the age of pcs/ websites.

I like you to have a look at page 15 of the TAW booklet...

... The original Dont Cry Daddy acetate is pictured there...

Thank you very much.

Next please!

Re: american has

Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:02 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Having stayed away from the mb for a day, and this topic has

turned into cdrs and the sound quality of American Rejects, from

ages ago?! Thank you all for explaining things that has nothing to

do with The American Way.

... Please continue! Especially the guys who not even have heard

the cd in the first place....

... The original tapes, with the recorded acetates, have been in

my boss' collection when some of you were still in kindergarten...

And these tapes are not the ones used for Rejects.

They've been around LONG before the age of pcs/ websites.

I like you to have a look at page 15 of the TAW booklet...

... The original Dont Cry Daddy acetate is pictured there...

Thank you very much.

Next please!
!!!Love ya HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY BIRTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHDAAAY MIIIIIIIIIISTER TALLLLLLLLLLHAIR 8) :) I am humbled before you!!!! :smt113 :)

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:35 am

OK, I’ll give up the hopeless task of trying to explain why you can have read/write errors on a CD-R and still have it sound identical.

I don’t think I’ve seen the release pace for this series mentioned anywhere. When is Volume 2 out?

Chris

american has

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:45 pm

... when the next is due?

January 8. Title: The American Way- volume Two, The CD-R tapes.

And a happy sunday to you all!

Next?

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:54 pm

::: What you are all forgetting is that CDR's are used to transfer music BEFORE it's remastered. As someone else (JLGB?) mentionned earlier, it's not a case of getting a bad CDR copy of a bootleg, it's a case of what would you rather have? - an 'Original' bootleg taken from dubious sources, or an EXACT (Digital) CDR copy of the 'ORIGINAL' session?

--

Well Keith F and JLGB, there is not too much to argue about that. If i will be able to get real digital first generation copies of certain session tapes, I will throw my import CDs with x-generation copies of the same material into garbage. I am not collecting CDs like stamps or coins. I am not interested in 2nd pressing of anything if the sound is the same as 1st one, just because of diffrent cover etc...

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:12 pm

::: OK, I’ll give up the hopeless task of trying to explain why you can have read/write errors on a CD-R and still have it sound identical.

ChrisM: well you are trying - hopelessly - explain something that is obvious but it seems that you did not noticed that I was discussing something else.

You can play some badly copied CDR with errors or discs with scratches or also degraded CDs like "HURT" with holes in the aluminium layer due to CIRC code and they will still play fine or almost fine on your CD player. But CIRC will not save everything. If there are many errors, CIRC will not help anyway and you will hear small clicks. And this is certainly NOT IDENTICAL to the original sound.

Anyway... I prefer to have all my CDRs copied corretly, on 1st class discs, of course without any scratches and dirt. In other words, such CDR copies where is not neccessary to correct anything during playing.

... I am not speaking about creation of correct CDR masters for pressing plant. This is another chapter...

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:09 am

To add slightly to this annoying side conversation, having done quite a few copies of my original FTDs and imports for use in my car only, I did notice that on occasion some discs did not copy right....

In any event, is there any doubt (JLGB?) that "The American Way" series is a must-have?

It's going to make those CD-R versions look awfully junky "right quick" as they say down south...

Applaud when a release like this comes down the pike and spare us the CD-R chatter! :roll: :lol:

TONY wrote:Just got "The American way" and noticed that part of the rehearsal of "Suspicious minds" as included on the FTD "Memphis sessions" isn't included!?

Not sure about this, but I think I recall the part you mean.

Also, after listening to the sound on the FTD release, it is far and away superior to this new "import" and in stereo. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Really? Are all the sessions tapes in stereo? I'm not sure but there is a reason why these are in mono. And besides, mono did rule back then. I'm not sure if stereophonic suddenly means that FTD had the final word on these sessions. They don't. I won't be chucking my FTD (why would I ? :lol:) but I'm as pleased as punch with this fine release.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:36 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:To add slightly to this annoying side conversation, having done quite a few copies of my original FTDs and imports for use in my car only, I did notice that on occasion some discs did not copy right....

In any event, is there any doubt (JLGB?) that "The American Way" series is a must-have?

It's going to make those CD-R versions look awfully junky "right quick" as they say down south...

Applaud when a release like this comes down the pike and spare us the CD-R chatter! :roll: :lol:

TONY wrote:Just got "The American way" and noticed that part of the rehearsal of "Suspicious minds" as included on the FTD "Memphis sessions" isn't included!?

Not sure about this, but I think I recall the part you mean.

Also, after listening to the sound on the FTD release, it is far and away superior to this new "import" and in stereo. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Really? Are all the sessions tapes in stereo? I'm not sure but there is a reason why these are in mono. And besides, mono did rule back then. I'm not sure if stereophonic suddenly means that FTD had the final word on these sessions. They don't. I won't be chucking my FTD (why would I ? :lol:) but I'm as pleased as punch with this fine release.
GET IT! 8)

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 pm

ChrisM wrote:OK, I’ll give up the hopeless task of trying to explain why you can have read/write errors on a CD-R and still have it sound identical.

I don’t think I’ve seen the release pace for this series mentioned anywhere. When is Volume 2 out?

Chris
Not quoting you directly Chris just something about the 0's and 1's.....This is for everyone in general who is really into sound....UPSAMPLE or UPSAMPLING makes the smaller file go through digital filters ,converters etc..and the same on the way down from where you started...The recording will sound better and less digital!!! Because bad bits thrown out and replaced by good ones..so you will have better sounding 16 bit recording for CD. Whatever you may think..Remember you read here first! :) 8)

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

Really? Are all the sessions tapes in stereo? I'm not sure but there is a reason why these are in mono. And besides, mono did rule back then. .

Stereo ruled from circa 1960. However from about 1962 single releases reverted to mono.

However all studio material from Elvis Is Back was recorded in multitrack.

Why the American Way is in mono only we can only surmise.

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:50 pm

If I were (pure speculation) somebody that had access to this material I would (pure speculation) maybe just give to a close "friend"..... "a- made- for- personal- close- "friend"- but- custom- mixed- in- mono- or- one --channel- left- or- right- so- the- son- of- a- bitch- does- not- get- it- all- and- I- will- surely-- know where- it- came- from- if- leaked- and- winds- up- on- a- bootleg- tape"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:26 am

Another speculation is that these mixdowns simply already existed in the archives, so if somebody had access to this material and wanted a copy of the whole session for "home use" it was faster to simply copy these to DAT rather than creating new mixdowns from the original 4-track or even 8-track multitrack masters, which is a very time-consuming thing to do.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 am

Sounds plausible.

But either way, and without anymore hemming and hawing, let there be no confusion: "The Ameircan Way" is automatically in the top five releases of a great bumper crop of Elvis releases in 2006, if not the top three or even number one. (I haven't decided. :lol: )

The disc itself it a keeper, as the "label" is that of the rare acetates. What was that about CD-R's again? :lol:

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:35 am

Geez, that disc in the picture looks like a friggin' CD-R! No wonder we are having this discussion... ;-)

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:35 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
The disc itself it a keeper, as the "label" is that of the rare acetates. What was that about CD-R's again?
Thereis nothing like a real CD with real 0's and 1's....everything else MASTERCARD! :lol:

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:36 am

thenexte wrote:Geez, that disc in the picture looks like a friggin' CD-R! No wonder we are having this discussion... ;-)
Seriously a real CD...

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 am

Just got this cd, brilliant stuff, yes I do have American Crown Jewels, Finding The Way Home & Memphis Sessions FTD. What The American Way is doing is 'fly on the wall' stuff, I listened to about half of the cd at this stage & one thing that stands out is that there are tracks on here that cut off (naturally by the engineer) past releases have had 'fade outs' of some of these tracks.

Look forward to Volume 2.

american has

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:37 am

... thenexte, had you bought a copy of the cd, with the booklet,

you would have noticed the acetate on page 15... the label on

American is a 'spoof ' of that particular label from 1969...

Just as page 16 of the same booklet was inspired by the picture

sleeve of Clean Up Your Own Backyard. You see, these 'American '

guys are always one step in front of you... which in your case

isnt very hard to do.

american has

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:38 am

... thenexte, had you bought a copy of the cd, with the booklet,

you would have noticed the acetate on page 15... the label on

American is a 'spoof ' of that particular label from 1969...

Just as page 16 of the same booklet was inspired by the picture

sleeve of Clean Up Your Own Backyard. You see, these 'American '

guys are always one step in front of you... which in your case

isnt very hard to do.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:58 am

American way is fantastic release and i cant wait to get the other 4 cds in this collection its worth the price for such a great cd and art work and its better imo than finding the way home sound wise im sure in the next few mths there will be a few people selling there american crown jewels and finding the way home and buying these

jess

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:14 pm

Don't Cry Daddy is a fantastic surprise for me! Maybe the hightlight of this CD. A treasury for all collectors.

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:03 am

dougkapp wrote:Don't Cry Daddy is a fantastic surprise for me! Maybe the hightlight of this CD. A treasury for all collectors.

Really, can someone post a sample of this and MLTR on here?

American has landed...

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:52 am

For any who have not yet noticed, there is a new and additional review for this release now showing (under Latest Import Review)

It's an interesting read and provides a detailed overview of this period. Not often a release attracts TWO reviews on this site eh?