All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 pm

Kuenzer wrote:
sid wrote:Yes I am sure. I had bid on the item but lost out at the last minute, later on in the day I got an email saying I could have it as a second chance, the seller gave no reason as to why but I declined the offer. It may have been a genuine case I dont know.

Relatively easy to distinguish. If it appears on your MyEbay page as a second chance offer, then it's to be seen as as normal as any other Ebay offer. See http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/personal-offer.html
However, also such official second chance offers can be abused. But then the buyer can use the normal Ebay processes.

See also http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Electric-35 ... 0057612843

I always try to judge a second chance offer on the liklihood that the seller would have 2 or more of the item. If the answer is no, then I would not take it up, because in all liklihood, they artificially bid up the price, won it themselves, and now want you to pay just below the inflated price!!

Second chance has it's place on ebay, but it must always come through the ebay my messages section, as must any ebay communication. If not, it is scam & spoof. People trying to steal your details and or hard earned cash!!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:10 pm

I see Box 00008 has appeared on Ebay now.

More established seller though, but how can anyone have confidence in these "numbers" now??

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:20 pm

This turned into a good thread after all. :)

Sum great info shared here!!
1. Ebay tips :wink:
2. Dumb Crook news :shock:
3. Math 101 :idea:
Thanks everyone!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:28 pm

Some Art History for you Elton. :)

The premium put on the low numbers of an edition comes from the world of print making. Prints made by hand would supposedly deteriorate in quality as the printing plate became worn. Therefore, earlier prints were more highly prized for being crisper and clearer.

But in these days of mass production, number one of a 'limited edition' should be exactly the same quality as number 10,000 whether it's a CD, vinyl record, book etc. So, it's difficult to understand why some people get so excited about low numbers when the item will be identical to all its brothers and sisters.

Still, whatever floats their boat .... :wink:

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:13 pm

Thanks "Gang", just add it to da list.. :wink:

as i said, good info, tips, ect. wound up on here
....and it just keeps on gettin' better!!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Elton wrote:This turned into a good thread after all. :)

Sum great info shared here!!
1. Ebay tips :wink:
2. Dumb Crook news :shock:
3. Math 101 :idea:
Thanks everyone!

You're welcome. By the way, could you ask the initial author of this thread to rename it to "Ebay fraud II: everybody deserves a second chance"?
BIGREDG wrote:Second chance has it's place on ebay, but it must always come through the ebay my messages section

And it has to appear in a category of its own on the MyEbay page - to get it as a message via Ebay is not quite enough, as Ebay themselves point out (cf. link above):
Ebay wrote:5. eBay will never send a Second Chance Offer email with the subject line "Message from eBay Member." If you receive an email pretending to be a Second Chance Offer with that subject line, it's a fake. Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:44 pm

Kuenzer wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:Second chance has it's place on ebay, but it must always come through the ebay my messages section

And it has to appear in a category of its own on the MyEbay page - to get it as a message via Ebay is not quite enough, as Ebay themselves point out (cf. link above):
Ebay wrote:5. eBay will never send a Second Chance Offer email with the subject line "Message from eBay Member." If you receive an email pretending to be a Second Chance Offer with that subject line, it's a fake. Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com.

Matthias, are you trying to teach me about ebay!!!!! :wink:

Outrageous!!

If the message appears in your ebay messages on ebay then it is a message from an ebay member sent via ebay.

BUT, you are quite right in this respect. I get about 12 emails a week pretending to be from ebay members. Some are outraged that I have not paid for some item I never bought, others deperately want to buy anything I have, etc etc!!!!

These so called spoof emails can be very dangerous. Once my account was hijacked, and before I knew it I was selling a very nice Mercedes car that I had never seen before!! Lucky I spotted it quickly before I was compromised further!!!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:15 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Matthias, are you trying to teach me about ebay!!!!! :wink:

I learn quickly, you see :wink:. I had to.
BIGREDG wrote:If the message appears in your ebay messages on ebay then it is a message from an ebay member sent via ebay.

What I meant was that still, it could be just an ordinary ebay message containing an offer, avoiding the official Second Chance procedure. (And I think the passage quoted from the ebay help pages refers to such a message.)
BIGREDG wrote:These so called spoof emails can be very dangerous. Once my account was hijacked, and before I knew it I was selling a very nice Mercedes car that I had never seen before!! Lucky I spotted it quickly before I was compromised further!!!

:shock: But a Mercedes must have looked suspicious to your usual customers. If it would have been a pink Cadillac, they probably would have started to bid...

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:17 pm

Kuenzer wrote: :shock: But a Mercedes must have looked suspicious to your usual customers. If it would have been a pink Cadillac, they probably would have started to bid...

Good point my friend, good point!!! :lol:

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:37 am

Second Hand offers are not always scams. It's an ebay option, as a seller if you have an item duplcated, you can use the second hand offer, the buyer will receive an email and it looks like a regular auction on ebay but only the buyer can bid on that. The transaction is covered by ebay like the others.

Francesc

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:11 am

great topic but ........what happened to the brad ????????????

guess you guys saw hmi off :lol:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:59 pm

no i'm still here :P

just looking around