All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

The King & The Internet Movie Database

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:12 pm

One day I was reading posts in http://www.imdb.com message boards for Elvis Presley. There was hate messages like "Elvis was a racist, Elvis was a gay, Elvis had incest with his mother" and other disgusting messages like that. I reported it to forum admin who is working on with it.

This user has at least 4 different accounts. He post hate messages with those, and votes 1/10 for (propably all) Elvis productions. Seems like he is Beatles fan, because he talks about Beatles. Beatles is okay to me but clearly Elvis is not okay to him!

So, I would recommend you Elvis fans to register (for free) in IMDB, and vote for Elvis productions. I don't ask you to vote 10/10 for Harum Scarum, but vote like you want.

Few examples:
'68 Comeback Special has 9.0/10 (only 314 votes)
Aloha from Hawaii has 7.9/10 (only 216 votes)
Reherseal Aloha concert has 5.8/10 (only 35 votes)
Not even close what those deserves.

:(

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:22 pm

Thanks for the link :wink:

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:29 pm

Didn't you know the site? :D

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:14 pm

No I didnt, prefer Music to the Big Screen or TV :oops:

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:43 pm

:cry: I've only one word for you: Vote :D

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 pm

The messageboards on that site can get abit outta hand... I mean EVERY actor you look at there is always at least one post of "WORST ACTOR EVER" or something like that. :roll:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:27 pm

A more worthwhile activity would be to correct and update the listings on the IMDB.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:01 am

JEFF d wrote:The messageboards on that site can get abit outta hand... I mean EVERY actor you look at there is always at least one post of "WORST ACTOR EVER" or something like that. :roll:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Yes I know that, but I'm more worried about the votes :(

Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:42 pm

Still only 5.8 for Alternate Aloha concert :cry:
:D

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:26 pm

My dear fellow fans. I know this is the place for this message.
In IMDB's forum there is one "troll user" who has several, maybe tens different accounts and he keeps voting 1/10 to Elvis and also says in the forum very bad things about him, including "he slept with his mother". And he is Michael Jackson fan, just for the record.

I ask you guys and girls to go http://www.imdb.com, register for free (here's straight link to registration http://www.imdb.com/register/login) and vote for Elvis. YOu have to log in to vote. But, after you have vote for main elvis productions, there is lot's of documentaries about elvis, including the definitive elvis, which have only 3/10 :roll:

Let it be christmas gift for Elvis to vote his movies for good.

Re: The King & The Internet Movie Database

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:39 pm

changeofhabit wrote:Few examples:
'68 Comeback Special has 9.0/10 (only 314 votes)
Aloha from Hawaii has 7.9/10 (only 216 votes)
Reherseal Aloha concert has 5.8/10 (only 35 votes)
Not even close what those deserves.

How is a "9" not even "close" to what the "Comeback Special" "deserves" when you can only go one whole number higher? "Aloha From Hawaii" is verging on an "8", which is a very respectable and reasonable rating, especially compared against the superior "Comeback Special", and the rehearsal show is closing in on a "6", which I would say is one whole number (i.e. "7") from what it deserves.

As for the trolls: Ignore them / report them / combat them with superior knowledge. The more extreme a troll is, the less likely any person with even a modicum of intelligence is to believe them -- or, for that matter, pay them any attention at all.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:43 pm

You got point.
Okey, but I don't actually care much about that troll users post but I do care if ratings goes down because of it. If it's a bad production, then I don't care. Like Harum Scarum.

But it's a stupid thing that I do care things like this and those things are annoying me all the time when I'm alone and lissenning Elvis, you know. Stupid but true.

But did you vote, Cryogenic, or are you going to vote? :P

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Unfortunately for the most part I think 3/10 would be rather kind to Elvis' movies.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:45 pm

changeofhabit wrote:But did you vote, Cryogenic, or are you going to vote? :P

I'm not in the "habit" of voting ... but ... I might just click for some of these Elvis concerts / films. :D

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:53 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
changeofhabit wrote:But did you vote, Cryogenic, or are you going to vote? :P

I'm not in the "habit" of voting ... but ... I might just click for some of these Elvis concerts / films. :D

Good, good :D
And to Eddie; I did mean documentaries about him. Only Stay Away, Joe has rating under 4/10, it's 3.8/10.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:45 am

IMDB is a great resource, but its message boards are largely a cesspool for kids. Want to know what the best movie ever made is (according to their ratings anyway)? Here's a hint: It was probably released within the last year or so. And since anyone can update a film's info, the site is full of inaccuracies (which are usually taken at face value).

I wouldn't lose any sleep over their Elvis ratings. For one, it would take a tremendous amount of votes to raise them higher. And if someone doesn't consider Elvis movies to be very good, an IMDB poll is not going to change their mind.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:58 am

James77 wrote:IMDB is a great resource, but its message boards are largely a cesspool for kids. Want to know what the best movie ever made is (according to their ratings anyway)? Here's a hint: It was probably released within the last year or so. And since anyone can update a film's info, the site is full of inaccuracies (which are usually taken at face value).

A perfect summary.

I love IMDb -- but it's far from infallible. For every great member and great set of comments ... there are ten idiotic ones. The substance is there; you just have to work to find it.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:03 am

Well, all info ain't wrong. You know, IMDB's workers have brains too :lol:
I've tried to remove that tagline of GI Blues which says "Elvis as the gay, singing sensation" for several times but they won't remove it.

I've added over 100 films in there, lot's of them are new, now in production Finnish films and some old. So you know, I know what they will release. :wink:

Good night to you all!

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:08 am

Arbitrarily upping the Elvis ratings will only do the same thing the trolls do in reverse. The IMDB polls are useless for that reason and because you don't have to have any knowledge of the subject matter to vote and really you don't even have to seen the film to vote.

Eddie unless The Godfather and Citizen Kane are the only movies you've ever seen, your assessment of Elvis' movies is way too harsh.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:16 am

likethebike wrote:Eddie unless The Godfather and Citizen Kane are the only movies you've ever seen, your assessment of Elvis' movies is way too harsh.

Well, given the fact that Elvis was a movie buff, and since he was known to be extremely unhappy with the route his career took and the movies he was saddled making, I don't think he'd disagree with Eddie's assessment. Most of them charitably deserve 3/10. He certainly made some near-greats, like "Jailhouse Rock", "King Creole" and "Flaming Star", but these are the exceptions; the rule is very different.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:27 am

Here we go again! :lol:

Oh, I totally disagree and defer to LTB in putting Elvis' flicks in perspective on numerous threads.

Here's one:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ight=movie

ChangeofHabit: I've seen that moron before. Occasionally they pop up on Amazon.com, too. I'll vote at one point, okay? :lol:

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:22 am

And Elvis would be too harsh in making such an assessment. Of the 31 proper movies Elvis made, only maybe five or six are legitimately bad movies. There's a lot of middling stuff and some good stuff at the very top. That's not a three.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:41 pm

Im sorry but thats my opinion, Ive seen waay more movies than the Godfather[though ashamed to admit to never having watched Citizen Kane] with the exception of the afore mentioned King Creole, Jailhouse Rock etc[and of course TTWII & OnTour] I think for the most part Elvis movies unwatchable. Comparing them as Elvis movies and against each other there may be a case for boosting a couple of them a little higher but that is not the case, they are being voted as movies in the general publics view. Im sorry they just do not stand up, bad acting, bad directing, bad writing, simple 'bubblegum movies' They have their place in history no doubt about it, but on the whole I stand by my opinion.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:55 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'll vote at one point, okay? :lol:

You're the man, Greg. 8)

I think Elvis was fantastic actor in King Creole, Wild in the Country, Flaming Star and Follow That Dream. In some movies like Love Me Tender, Loving You, Jailhouse Rock, G.I. Blues, Kid Galahad, Charro! and Change of Habit he was good. Then in movies like Double Trouble and Clambake he didn't even try anymore and you can clearly see that.

He was worth of an Oscar for his roles in KC and FS.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Can anyone logically tell me why Blue Hawaii is inferior to a bit of engaging pop fluff like Pretty Woman? Can anyone logically believe that Girl Happy is inferior to Tarzan and the Leopard Woman? Can anyone logically tell me that something like Plan Nine From Outer Space is even close to being of the same quality as second or third tier musical like Girl Happy?

The idea of rating a movie's star career is ludicrous anyway. What do you say about the career of Marlon Brando? Could any movie be worse than Island of Dr. Moreau or Columbus: the Discovery or Free Money? He made many indifferent movies just beyond that bottomless pit. However he made six or seven of the greatest movies ever made. Does that make him a five?

And if Elvis is a three what does that make Arch Hall Jr.? If Elvis is a three what does that make Steven Seagal?

With the exception of some super cheapies like Harum Scarum and Kissin' Cousins I think technical incompetence is a totally false charge to throw at Elvis movies. Even a bad movie like Easy Come Easy Go had a competent director- John Rich- at the helm. Rich didn't make much of a name in movies but he was one of the best tv directors of all time. He knew what he was doing behind the camera. For the most part Elvis' movies were professional studio product filled with choice actors- Barbara Stanwyck, Burgess Meredith, Walter Matthau, Vincent Price, Arthur O'Connell, Angela Lansbury, John McIntyre, Dolores Del Rio, Arch Johnson, Dabney Coleman, LQ Jones, Ann Margaret, etc etc. Not all were stars but all were recognized competent character actors or better. The directors on Elvis' movies were also at the least competent or better. These are not just names like Don Siegel and Michael Curtiz, these is guys like George Sidney, Phil Karlson, Richard Thorpe, Gordon Douglas, Rich and Robert Webb. All recognized for their assured direction. They may not have been artists but they were solid craftsman. And although I am not a fan of director Norman Taurog's directorial style, until his health started failing in the late '60s he was at least known for his professionalism which at one point even yielded him an Oscar. Even a guy like Charles Marquis Warren had made his name in the extremely literate TV western "Gunsmoke" and worked in the '50s with Gary Cooper.

And Elvis' formula films for Paramount especially had decent budgets. When Elvis stands outside working on a boat in Girls Girls Girls or sings on the beach in Blue Hawaii, that's not a backdrop. That's really Hawaii back there unlike in Bing Crosby's much beloved Waikiki Wedding.

Some Elvis movies had solid source material that was going to be made into a movie anyway. King Creole, Flaming Star, Follow That Dream, Trouble With Girls, Wild in the Country, Kid Galahad (which had already been made twice before). The great Charles Lederer wrote the script for Follow That Dream. Clifford Odets, the great playwright, wrote the script for Wild in the Country. You can't get any classier than that. He was a drunk when he wrote it, but the producers were looking to make a class product.

Of all the things you can say about Elvis' movies, incompetence is generally not one of them. There was money behind them. The people who made and acted in them for the most part knew what they were doing.