All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:20 am

Just picked this up at Wal-Mart. I had thought that it came out the 28th, glad I logged on here!

I work at Best Buy, and we didn't even have it in stock. Had to go to the competitor.

Can't wait to give it a watch later tonight!

NUMBER ONE!

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:34 am

I've been watching a bit of this every single night -- Elvis is, quite frankly, awesome.

His October 28 rendition of "Hound Dog" is so bad-ass! Man, he knew what he had going on, didn't he?

There's a GREAT moment after the song's done where he stops, points at the balcony and grimaces. They scream, he laughs. And the world would never be the same.

What is so clear is that although Presley was more aggressive and edgy on much of the Dorsey and Berle shows, with Sullivan he simply claimed his right to rule. And so he did. Man, oh man.

Kevin Segura, please "LFVI" the rest of the 1956 programs, ASAP!!!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:02 am

Quote: I'm quite stunned by the faces he pulls and the way he slurs some of the lyrics. Would anyone else have gotten away with it, or even tried it?

the slurring of lyrics is typical of many of the rhythm and blues performers.
Must be where he got from?
It was a wild scene back then.
Dig that crazy music daddy-o.

Re: NUMBER ONE!

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I've been watching a bit of this every single night -- Elvis is, quite frankly, awesome.

His October 28 rendition of "Hound Dog" is so bad-ass! Man, he knew what he had going on, didn't he?

There's a GREAT moment after the song's done where he stops, points at the balcony and grimaces. They scream, he laughs. And the world would never be the same.

What is so clear is that although Presley was more aggressive and edgy on much of the Dorsey and Berle shows, with Sullivan he simply claimed his right to rule. And so he did. Man, oh man.

Kevin Segura, please "LFVI" the rest of the 1956 programs, ASAP!!!

Well said Doc, we really start to see the connection build with his audience during these Sullivan shows. That Oct 28th performance of Hound Dog was so frickin amazing, the best of the three, and more like his concert appearances I would imagine.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:03 pm

just got mine today at hmv and watched all the dvds on the set they are awsome it just blew me away.the medley on disc 2 made the hairs stand on the back of my neck. :D :D :D

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:27 am

Rob wrote:Only $17.99 for three discs? I thought about stopping tonight on my way home from work, but didn't think it would be there yet.

Tomorrow, that baby is mine!

Cost 35 euros in here :evil:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:31 am

I got mine yesterday , echoing what others have said great packaging and what a picture ! . I can't believe the change in Elvis as a person from September 9th to October 28th , In the first you seem to have a hillbilly who's thrilled to be on the show , in the second you a star who knows only too well they're the ones who are thrilled to have him on . With his hair dyed black and the eye lashes thick he looks every inch a matinee idol .All this in about 6 weeks , and he never looked back !!

Well done Kevin , I never thought I'd see 50's Elvis that clear , who knew that green jacket had a fleck in it !

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:40 am

Is this available in Australia yet?

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:Is this available in Australia yet?

I think it was available since Monday!!!

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/790790

8)

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:20 pm

The waiting is over! I've got it today and it totally blew my mind! Thank God it's christmas! It can't get any better than this. This is what it's all about!

Thank you, Kevin - you and the people behind you have done a tremendous job!

Now I'll get back to watch it over again...

Joern

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:04 pm

I also got it today, and I must say, it's AMAZING, this is like seeing it for the first time, I now can imagine what an impact he must have had in those days, especially if you look at the other 'tame' acts.
Even the well known clips are like new, look at his crazy facial expressions – even the commercials are great to see. If you don’t have this set, go get it now ! This is the best Elvis’ dvd in a long, long time!! Long live the Life feed processing !!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 am

memphisflash wrote:I also got it today, and I must say, it's AMAZING, this is like seeing it for the first time, I now can imagine what an impact he must have had in those days, especially if you look at the other 'tame' acts.
Even the well known clips are like new, look at his crazy facial expressions – even the commercials are great to see. If you don’t have this set, go get it now ! This is the best Elvis’ dvd in a long, long time!! Long live the Life feed processing !!

I got my set, too.

memphis....you're so right about the impact he had. Those other acts are 'tame' indeed!! Holy cow - what a difference!

Just like everybody said - this is one awesome box set.

Kevin - you're da man :smt041

Rich

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:04 am

Wow-- thanks, everyone. Just wanted to polish everything up as best I could... I'm **very** glad you've enjoyed the shows, and I appreciate the feedback. Believe me, your comments are being seen where it matters, and they **do** make a difference!

And, I got quite a laugh out of being called "...a real decent fine boy"-- I didn't realize Ed Sullivan himself had bought a set of the DVDs!! :D

-Kevin

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:54 am

The DvDs are FANTASTIC, i can't stop watching them!

OK.... now its time for ya'll to give whomever owns the Dorsy Bros, Milton Berle and Steve Allen Shows a call! :wink:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:11 pm

If you do not own this set, you are cheating yourselves in the worst kind of way.

Definitely Elvis at his very best.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:40 pm

I will be getting it within the next few days!!! :D

8)

sullivan set

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:52 pm

Normally with official releases we wait to find out what is missing or what has been left out/edited. With this set its incredibly comprehensive, right down to the little promo clips/Elvis related segmants. A job well done. But I'm wondering if there will be a single dvd of this released next year with a minute's worth of extra footage and just the Elvis performances?!?!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:56 pm

My 16 year old Daughter and her friend,also 16,were so impressed with Elvis,and the incredible picture quality!!!

"Dad,that looks like that's now!!!!"

What a fantastic release,even the packaging is 1st Class.

Bring on the rest !!!

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:26 pm

I had to wait four days to get mine.I'll never shop with woolworths on-line again :x .But the wait was worth it. 8) 8) 8)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:29 pm

I got this from amazon two days ago. I got through the September show... and the extra interviews. God Elvis looked great and in total control of each performance... even Love Me Tender is a pleasure to watch. What a fantastic package they have put together for this set... beautiful pictures both in quality and presentation. I look forward to the next two shows... this is as close to perfection as we could possibly imagine so I BETTER NOT HEAR ANY COMPLAINTS OR ELSE!!!

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 pm

You tell 'em, Brad!

:lol: (I'll tell you to tell 'em and you tell 'em!) :lol:

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:38 pm

elvis-fan wrote: I BETTER NOT HEAR ANY COMPLAINTS OR ELSE!!!

I got this the other day!!! Have watched it all!!!
Don't know whay all the fuss is about!!!
It's crap!!!!!!

Only joking!!!! :lol:

1 disc!

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Bring on the single disc version with a minute's extra footage "recently discovered"!!!

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:37 pm

I got mine a couple of days ago and I've watched all three discs.I think this is one of the most interesting releases in a long time.It really is a time capsule of that time period.Just a joy to watch the complete shows intact.I picked my copy up at wal mart for just under $20.What a great deal for such a quality release.That goes for the content and nice packaging.I think it's a shame you dont hear it being advertised.I think this could have been a missed chance to really push a quality item and spark some decent sales to people who ordinarily might not buy it.
Jak

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:55 pm

What I love about it, was not just obviously Elvis' performances, but the fact that it almost transforms you back to that era. Performers back then were multi-talented and the commercials advertising the 1957 big M, who wouldn't be fascinated by the beauty of those cars, along with there features. It was a simpler era, people seemed happier, especially the kids. It wasn't about school shootings, or other problems so much, it was about playing records and grooving to rock & roll, waiting for the next "hot release" with our guy leading the way. Boy, I would have have loved to have been a teenager in that era!
Last edited by Joe Car on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.