All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 am

I've watched the first disc, infrickincredible! what a tremendous job you've done Kevin. I can't believe the talent on this particular show as the singing was great. EP was unbelievable to say the least, what a stunning performance given the stakes involved. Even the car commercials were fascinating

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:00 am

Joe Car wrote:Even the car commercials were fascinating

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Damn it. I was excited over this release already, but now I'm about to go crazy with anticipation! I'm not gonna have my copy until early next week. :cry:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:22 am

Quote: Also, one letter mentioning "Anyway You Want Me," presumably for the October 28th show?

That is strange you mention this, since the original TV guide magazine listed the songs for the sept. 9th show, and that song is one of them listed as being planned for the night.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:48 am

General Sarnoff wrote:Now Lester, that's not very nice.

I **do** thank you for your suppport through your pre-orders, but every unauthorized copy is one less reason for producers to commission this sort of restoration in the future. And believe me, they're well aware of the bottom line profit on these projects.

Just my two cents worth...

-Kevin

:oops: :oops:

Well I will be buying 3 copies of the NTSC as well just incase the quality is different. I do promise its only a temporary copy which is desparetely needed for Saturday and will not take away from the bottom line.

Who on earth would want a copy instead of an original :?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 am

LesterB wrote:Who on earth would want a copy instead of an original :?

Lots of cheap bastards, unfortunately! :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:44 am

kevin you and your team did a oustanding job!

I would like to add, the packaging of this set
was well done, the 3D type of effect for the dust
jacket was a pretty cool idea an welcomed.....

Price wise very competative as well....

Out of curiosity if this were available on either the
Blue Ray or HD format would it make any difference
in the quality?

Or is this pretty much as far as things can go in improving
quality of this type of material which the regular DvD format
shows?

All in all this package was well thought out an put
together....except for one small little error, I noticed
in the booklet on page seven at the bottom right hand
corner of the page, the poster pictured was a fake....
Since Elvis didn't have the Gold lame' suit
until 57".....

Nevertheless we will live.... :lol:

PEP 8)

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:11 pm

LesterB wrote:Who on earth would want a copy instead of an original?

We have more of them here than you might think.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:22 pm

PEP wrote:kevin you and your team did a oustanding job!

in the quality?

shows?

until 57".....

PEP 8)

Another big give away to the poster being a fake is that Elvis was an EVEN 6ft and not an EVEN 5ft as pictured :D

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:36 pm

Matthew wrote:What is the audio like on this release. I notice the blurb mentions mono tracks and 5.1 tracks. As the original recordings are mono, does this mean fake surround sound processing or simply the mono signal though all speakers?

Well, mono in all channels wouldn't really qualify as a Dolby 5.1 track, would it?

The 5.1 track is a surround sound mix artificially created by reprocessing the original mono. It is a common, but totally pointless feature.

Chris

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:42 pm

At least there is no monkey talking over Elvis like on the "Elvis the greatest performances"
That was an stupid thing! :twisted:

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Yeah, baby!!! I got my set yesterday, and it is very cool. I watched the first disc all the way through, including the extras, and portions of the other discs, as well. Still a lot more to see.

It's awesome to finally be able to put Elvis's performances on the show into context. Man, he looked like a caged tiger--dangerous and vulnerable at the same time.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:02 pm

KHoots wrote:Yeah, baby!!! I got my set yesterday, and it is very cool. I watched the first disc all the way through, including the extras, and portions of the other discs, as well. Still a lot more to see.

It's awesome to finally be able to put Elvis's performances on the show into context. Man, he looked like a caged tiger--dangerous and vulnerable at the same time.

You know what's amazing, is even back then EP would play the audience. If you watch the other singers, they were great, but Elvis connected directly with the audience. These videos make you feel like you're right there!

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Was there a link to explain how this "Live Feed" video imageing work? How in the world did they get this to look so amazing!?

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:56 pm

Jeff:

Well, just like in the movies: I could tell you, but then my patent lawyer would have to shoot you.... :)

Glad you're impressed, though!!

-Kevin

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:39 pm

Well it looks great how ever ya'll did it!!

My next request is for the rest of Elvis' 1950s TV apperances, and the 1950s TV appearances of dramas featuring James Dean and Joan Crawford! :D

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:40 pm

Plan on getting my set this weekend...would get it now, but want have the money 'til Friday. I can not wait now, after reading all the great stuff that is being said about it! :D

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:14 pm

Well, Brad, look at it this way:

If you ask for $5 from 4 people, or for $1 from 20 people.... :lol:

Seriously, though, it's awesome - I can't stop watching it. :D

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:50 pm

LesterB wrote:
PEP wrote:kevin you and your team did a oustanding job!

in the quality?

shows?

until 57".....

PEP 8)

Another big give away to the poster being a fake is that Elvis was an EVEN 6ft and not an EVEN 5ft as pictured :D

And the Love Me Tender single wasn't even released at this date!

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:03 am

I've told myself I'd put this on my christmas list instead of buy it myself.. but by God it's proving very difficult to abstain!!!

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:31 am

Just got mine from Amazon today...looks fantastic!

And having received MDQ today as well, it was so great hearing Elvis talk about Jackie Wilson's version of Don't Be Cruel and then watching Elvis mimic Jackie on the Sullivan DVD!

Axe

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:36 am

Axeman wrote:And having received MDQ today as well, it was so great hearing Elvis talk about Jackie Wilson's version of Don't Be Cruel and then watching Elvis mimic Jackie on the Sullivan DVD!

And the great irony here is Elvis may have never known it was Jackie Wilson's Elvis impression he was emulating.

At the MDQ jam he just calls him a member of Billy Ward's Dominoes. When they became friends in the early 1960s, there was never any indication that Elvis and Jackie compared notes on what went down in Las Vegas back in Nov '56. For sure one of them would've mentioned it.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And the great irony here is Elvis may have never known it was Jackie Wilson's Elvis impression he was emulating.

At the MDQ jam he just calls him a member of Billy Ward's Dominoes. When they became friends in the early 1960s, there was never any indication that Elvis and Jackie compared notes on what went down in Las Vegas back in Nov '56. For sure one of them would've mentioned it.

My girl and I were discussing this a little...I figure that once Elvis and Jackie became friends, Jackie must have mentioned that he used to do Elvis songs in his set at some point.
Surely Elvis would have recognized that it was Jackie he saw way back when in the course of conversation. Heck, maybe Jackie even saw Elvis on the Sullivan show imitating his version of Don't Be Cruel?
Elvis even says on the MDQ disc that he went back and saw him for three or four nights in a row. I'd imagine that Elvis, being a star in 1956, could have easily gotten backstage and met Jackie back then. Perhaps he just didn't remember Jackie's name when he was telling Jerry Lee and Carl about it.
It's all speculation on my part of course...

Axe

SULLIVAN

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:47 pm

Just as a side note, I just watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan shows to sort of get a feel for that time, and has anyone noticed that Ed Sullivan himself doesn't really seem to have much of a personality, or indeed, during the shows with The Beatles, actually did very little. I also get the impression that rock n roll artists were only featured as a ratings puller, when I believe that Mr. Sullivan's tastes were much more conservative. How did he get this job when he appears to have no personality and a feigned interest in his "modern" guests??!!?

Re: SULLIVAN

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:54 pm

TONY wrote:Just as a side note, I just watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan shows to sort of get a feel for that time, and has anyone noticed that Ed Sullivan himself doesn't really seem to have much of a personality, or indeed, during the shows with The Beatles, actually did very little. I also get the impression that rock n roll artists were only featured as a ratings puller, when I believe that Mr. Sullivan's tastes were much more conservative. How did he get this job when he appears to have no personality and a feigned interest in his "modern" guests??!!?

Ed's job was to show what people wanted...and yes, get ratings. Name one TV show host who would actually be a fan of every performer they have on?

Axe