All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:50 pm

General Sarnoff wrote:Show #3 is a little variable in terms of brightness (though I took care a fair amount of it)-- there was a power instability somewhere in the orginal kinescope chain that January evening, which actually caused the film recorder to lose image a couple of times over the course of the hour.

-Kevin

Kevin - would this be the reason why the third show appears to be from an inferior source to shows 1 & 2?

While all shows are far better picture and sound to anything before I would rate the shows in terms of picture quality: Show 2 - first, Show 1 - second and Show 3 - third ..... for what it might be worth.

Also - can you give us any early indications of the success of this DVD set and if it is likely to lead to more???????? i.e. the 4th and 5th shows being released :wink: SERIOUSLY though??

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:41 pm

I just watched the whole deal.

Fantastic package for the most part. Soft areas of soft focus or out of focus and ghost images at some points, but still very good.

The box design and booklet are excellant.

The menus are easy to navigate and the extras are interesting.

Just a note: One of the Jerry Shilling interviews was borrowed from another documentary. And as stated before, it is puzzeling as to why the interviews were all done over a decade ago.

I must confess, that other than Elvis, it seemed like amatuer hour, and I couldn't help but skip thru some of it. Way too many novelty acts and broadway songs for my taste.

And lastly the set could've easily fit on 2 discs and maybe even one.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:02 pm

ekenee wrote:I must confess, that other than Elvis, it seemed like amatuer hour, and I couldn't help but skip thru some of it. Way too many novelty acts and broadway songs for my taste.

And lastly the set could've easily fit on 2 discs and maybe even one.
Dear god there's no pleasing some people. :roll:

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Just realised that this whole DVD package 3 discs and great packaging is actualy less money than a single FTD!!!!!!!!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:16 pm

I'm so mad about this...

Beautiful boxart, great price... this thing is really tempting me! But I'm waiting. Waiting till Christmas Day. Someone might have already bought it for me. How frustrating is that? (Not that I'm trying to sound ungrateful!). Whatever happens, this thing will be mine by the end of the month. Mine. All mine! MWAHAHAHAHA.

I will give Kevin and everyone else my full feedback by the New Year.

Just a FYI: I can't see my having any complaints. At all. And that's why this wait is so frustrating. A thing of perfection is sitting out there. AARRRGH!

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:46 pm

ekenee wrote: I must confess, that other than Elvis, it seemed like amatuer hour, and I couldn't help but skip thru some of it. Way too many novelty acts and broadway songs for my taste.

Not counting Elvis' performances, the third show was the most entertaining for me. I had no idea until I watched it that Carol Burnett was on the show (guess I didn't read it clearly enough).

I was thoroughly entertained by the January 6, 1957 show.

Cyrogenic wrote:I'm waiting till Christmas Day. Someone might have already bought it for me.

Don't count on it. I've heard you've been bad this year. You'd better just go and buy it yourself.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:25 pm

Gareth wrote:

Dear god there's no pleasing some people.

The next time you quote someone, do so without doing it out of context.

I was pleased with the set. So you are completely wrong.

When I give an observation of a project, I give an unbias observation as a fan, not someone tied to the industry in any way.

Excuse me for not liking broadway musicals.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:46 am

ekenee wrote:Gareth wrote:

Dear god there's no pleasing some people.

The next time you quote someone, do so without doing it out of context.

I was pleased with the set. So you are completely wrong.

When I give an observation of a project, I give an unbias observation as a fan, not someone tied to the industry in any way.

Excuse me for not liking broadway musicals.
You are right i shouldn't have qouted out of context and for that i apologise :wink:

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:26 am

Cryogenic wrote:I'm so mad about this...

Beautiful boxart, great price... this thing is really tempting me! But I'm waiting. Waiting till Christmas Day. Someone might have already bought it for me.

OK, here's what you do. Go out tomorrow, buy the set and enjoy but keep your receipt. That way if you get a copy for Christmas, you return that one with the receipt from the first one. You get the set now and the $$$ for the secon one. If you don't get one for Christmas, you've been able to enjoy yours all this time. You can't lose! Gad, how do I do it??!!

Tom

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:53 am

LesterB wrote:Also - can you give us any early indications of the success of this DVD set and if it is likely to lead to more???????? i.e. the 4th and 5th shows being released :wink: SERIOUSLY though??

Well, seriously, Elvis only did the three Sullivan shows.

There isn't a 4th or a 5th show..............[but you knew that]

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:02 pm

ColinB wrote:
LesterB wrote:Also - can you give us any early indications of the success of this DVD set and if it is likely to lead to more???????? i.e. the 4th and 5th shows being released :wink: SERIOUSLY though??

Well, seriously, Elvis only did the three Sullivan shows.

There isn't a 4th or a 5th show..............[but you knew that]

Sadly I do - still bags more LFVI kinescope to come ....... potentially???

When I win the EURO lottery!!!!!!!!! mmmmgh

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:...OK, here's what you do. Go out tomorrow, buy the set and enjoy but keep your receipt. That way if you get a copy for Christmas, you return that one with the receipt from the first one. You get the set now and the $$$ for the secon one. If you don't get one for Christmas, you've been able to enjoy yours all this time. You can't lose! Gad, how do I do it??!! Tom

Well, having a (borderline) criminal mind helps! To be honest, in all the years I have received Elvis-related gifts which I already had in my possession, I am disgusted at myself for never having thought of that!

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Rob wrote:
Cyrogenic wrote:I'm waiting till Christmas Day. Someone might have already bought it for me.

Don't count on it. I've heard you've been bad this year. You'd better just go and buy it yourself.

LOL!

Tom in North Carolina wrote:OK, here's what you do. Go out tomorrow, buy the set and enjoy but keep your receipt. That way if you get a copy for Christmas, you return that one with the receipt from the first one. You get the set now and the $$$ for the secon one. If you don't get one for Christmas, you've been able to enjoy yours all this time. You can't lose! Gad, how do I do it??!!

Tom... how do you sleep at night? :D

In all seriousness, doing something like that ain't my style. Not long to go. Dec 25th will soon roll around.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 am

Best thing on the whole set for me is Charles Laughton's adapted version of RED RIDING HOOD. It's as funny as fook and I've never stopped thinking about it since I first watched it! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! :P

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:44 am

Yes! Just watched the September 9 episode and it sure was fun! Don't care too much about those Elvis performances, but I am getting a new Mercury car right now!! :shock: :D

Nah, as much as I adore the Mercury comercials, the tap dancers and the acrobats, I do prefer Elvis's last performance. "Ready Teddy" is so cool, especially that shoulder roll at the end! And "Hound Dog" made me laugh too. Fantastic!

I am kind of looking forward to watching disc 2 and 3 also. This is wonderful DVD set. Thanks to all involved!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:56 am

You've really been coming into it lately, Keith. I'm proud of you.
Keep up the good work.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:20 am

Rob wrote:You've really been coming into it lately, Keith. I'm proud of you.
Keep up the good work.

Hehehe. You mean I'm slow? It's not true, not all the time. Sure I bought "Out In Hollywood" this week. And sure I bought a "Double Feature" CD from 1995 on eBay yesterday. But the Ed Sullivan DVD was a Christmas present, that's why it took me so long to comment on it.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:13 pm

The 57 show is totally entertiaing!!! The hilariously acurate Ed Sullivan impersonater is great, the frantic ballerina is cool, the bloke who balances on his finger blows me away - and that Elvis bloke is ok too!!! 8)

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:29 pm

A few observations.

Its looks like Elvis is impersonating Ed while Ed is talking to the audience just before Elvis sings, "love me tender", on the 2nd show.

After reading the liner notes and planned songs, I would have preferrred,
"anyway you want me" to "love me tender" on the first show, and it would have been cool to see, "paralyzed" instead of "Blue moon turns to gold", on the 3rd show.