All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

They should treat elvis like they treat johnny cash

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:45 am

I've notice that about every 4 -6 months there's a "live" johnny cash dvd released with complete uncut concerts and tv specials,I think it would be cool if every 4-6 months they release a complete elvis concert on dvd,we have concerts from TTWII and ELVIS ON TOUR,that can be released as their own induvidual releases ,for example if they recorded 6 or 7 complete concerts in 1970 and another 6 or 7 in 1972 then they have enough stuff to release to the public for years to come...like the releases that they have been releasing for johnny cash,,,

Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:50 am

I may be wrong but I think Cash was filmed in concert a lot more than Elvis. In the 1970s he even had his own weekly tv show. Still it'd be nice to have all of Elvis' movies on video.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:04 pm

that's true...but at the same time there are so many concerts from 1970 and 1972 and even 1977 filmed professionally that if they release each induvidual complete concerts plus back stage footage and fan footage as bonus features and sell them for $10 (like the johnny cash dvds) then they would have enough footage for at least 5 years at 6 months per release,I'm also afraid that if we get an "ELVIS ON TOUR" box set that it would be too expensive to pay at one shot and cut up to pieces while single releases would be complete with alot of bonus features.....and a TTWII box set might even be the same way,when they could release the complete concerts uncut........just no more 68'comback and aloha dvds for at least 10 years,they should focus on other stuff.....also induvidual releases would be aimed at the population (as opposed to box sets that would be released just for the fans)....which we need more population releases for the casual buyers or the new fans....
Last edited by joshferrell on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:07 pm

bythe way does anyone know if there's any concerts that johnny cash did in the mid-late 90's where he just sings his american recordings? if so I think that would be cool to see....

Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 am

Treat Elvis like Johnny Cash?

Let's see......will there be new mainstream releases by JC in 30 years.

Will there be a dedicated FTD type label for JC in 30 years.

Let's not treat Elvis like Johnny Cash :D

Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:36 am

let me reword it.........
they should stop focusing on the fan base and focus on the general public like they do with johny cash.......
I hate to say it but as a younger generation elvis fan (31) I can see how much more the younger gen like johnny cash more than Elvis......I hate to say it but the younger gen (not all of them but most of them) don't think Elvis is "hip" so the fact is that with the older fans "dying out" BMG/EPE need to change how they handle and promote Elvis because I see it,the older people may not realize how elvis (sadly) seems to be fading with the younger gen,people may yell at me but those who do need to take off your rose colored glasses and face reality if elvis doesn't get the proper promotion to make him cool wit the younger gen in30 years he may not have any realeses......that's the facts I see it all the time I talk to people of the younger gen about Elvis and I find most people age 12-25 simply don't like him,but over half the people I talk to who are aged 12-30 like johnny cash,so there's something to how they're promoting JC to the public that seemd to be working.....so that's the way it is,I know it's shocki g to most fans what I just said but it's true I see it all the time,even younger people are liking Garth Brooks more then elvis (although not as much as JC) so they need to stop with the fan releases and do more mainstream releases........

Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:49 am

Let's see......will there be new mainstream releases by JC in 30 years.

there isn't any mainstream stuff by Elvis now it's all FTD and the same stuff over and over without any promotion,at least they give JC promotion.

Will there be a dedicated FTD type label for JC in 30 years.

now as far as FTD goes I don't really think it's a GOOD thing (let me explain before you yell at me) because nobody in the younger gen knows about these releases,these are aimed at the hardcore older fans who are now age 50-80 and who are (sadly) dying out,so FTD may be good for th hardcore fans but what about those in the youger gen who must keep his legacy alive,this is a way for BMG to make as much money as they can before the fan base all pass away because they know they are having trouble with the younger gen.....

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:16 am

now as far as FTD goes I don't really think it's a GOOD thing (let me explain before you yell at me) because nobody in the younger gen knows about these releases,these are aimed at the hardcore older fans who are now age 50-80 and who are (sadly) dying out,so FTD may be good for th hardcore fans but what about those in the youger gen who must keep his legacy alive,this is a way for BMG to make as much money as they can before the fan base all pass away because they know they are having trouble with the younger gen.....

You are one misguided dude.

EP--JC

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:16 am

Keep in mind Johnny Cash hit a lot of stages around the world, that Elvis never did.

I Walk the Line helped Cash

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 am

I may be wrong, but I think the "I walk the Line" movie really helped young fans like Cash more. I have two sons who are 19 and 13 and after seeing the movie, they seem to really like Johnny Cash a lot more. The songs kick ass in that movie. Elvis on the other hand, doesn't have any great movies made about him. While Kurt Russell did a good job playing Elvis in the "Elvis" movie made around 1978/1979, the movie really wasn't that great. The character in that movie seemed mean and was either fighting with Priscilla, fighting with the boys, or cheating on his wife, or taking drugs. Somehow, Cash was shown doing the same thing in his movie, but somehow it was presented in a cooler fashion. Perhaps getting married to June Carter made the movie a "happy ending" to movie goers. We all know what happened to Elvis after his comeback. Folks like a happy ending.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 am

joshferrell wrote:Let's see......will there be new mainstream releases by JC in 30 years.

there isn't any mainstream stuff by Elvis now it's all FTD

True...if you forget about ELV1S
Second To None
Hitstory
Elvis By The Presleys

Plus 4 DVD releases over the last 18 months.

And this doesn't count the annual "Love" and "Christmas" annoyances :D

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:24 am

I agree I don't think the older fans understand that Elvis fame is dissapearing with the younger gen of people while Johnny Cash,the Beatles,Garth Brooks and the Beach Boys seem to be growing among the younger gen,it's unhip being a youger Elvis fan in fact most people under the age of 30 who I talked to about Elvis 80% of the time will put me down make fun of me or make fun of him,it's almost like I have to be a closet elvis fan....but I hear people under 30 talking about JC and the beatles all the time,so that says something........

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:27 am

You are one misguided dude

lol..,well ask the younger gen what a FTD is and they'll ask what the heck you're talking about.....if you ask what a johnny cash "hurt" is they would tell you.......

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 am

Meeting ane eventually marrying June Carter helped Johnny straighten out, and by extension saved his life. Unfortunately, Elvis wasn't as "lucky".

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:33 am

True...if you forget about ELV1S
Second To None
Hitstory
Elvis By The Presleys

And this doesn't count the annual "Love" and "Christmas" annoyances

I agree that there are some mainstream but where's the promotion? for these ,except fpr 2nd to none these releases weren't even promoted..while I see posters of JC all over the place I walk into walmart and see JC shirts being sold and videos being displayed and c.d.s being displayed,and I see commercials for almost every release that is released by him.Why aren't we seeing more promos for ED SULLIVAN when it's one of the most famous appearances of all times,we got promotion when the beatles E.S. shows were released....

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:38 am

I agree I don't think the older fans understand that Elvis fame is dissapearing with the younger gen of people while Johnny Cash,the Beatles,Garth Brooks and the Beach Boys seem to be growing among the younger gen,it's unhip being a youger Elvis fan in fact most people under the age of 30 who I talked to about Elvis 80% of the time will put me down make fun of me or make fun of him,it's almost like I have to be a closet elvis fan....but I hear people under 30 talking about JC and the beatles all the time,so that says something........

What makes a fan? Yeah, it may be "cool" for someone in their teens or early twenties to say they dig Cash, but how much Cash does a young casual fan actually own? A hits comp or one of his American recordings. A lot of these younger so-called fans like saying they are fans of Cash because they think it is a cool position to take, but their fandom does not necessarily translate into big sales. The cool factor doesn't necessarily translate into large catalogue sales. Don't overrate your so-called Cash youth movement. His brand of Country is an aquired taste and a lot of young music fans will listen to that a little bit, but they are into other much more progressive things.

The Beatles will always have the "cool" factor. Look at the sales of "1". It has monster sales, it is a one-stop shop for casual fans. The youth in society that say they are fans will most likely enjoy owning "1" and a t-shirt. It is about perception. Yes, there will be some that dive into "Sgt. Peppers" and "Revolver", but most will not spend the time and effort. The Beatles aren't gaining a youthful following, they have always had it and always will. And again, The Beatles music is not comparable to Elvis' music. In terms of fame, success and cultural impact, you can start making comparisons, but they are worlds apart musically.

Garth Brooks hip? Attracting young fans? What planet are you from? The man holds no musical or cultural credibility, especially with young music fans.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:42 am

Garth Brooks hip? Attracting young fans? What planet are you from? The man holds no musical or cultural credibility, especially with young music fans.

well walk into walmart and see how much garth brooks stuff they have,yes he has a huge country following with the younger gen,maby not so much with the rock fans...but his country base is big enough.....why can't EPE make a deal with walmart?

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:48 am

well walk into walmart and see how much garth brooks stuff they have,yes he has a huge country following with the younger gen,maby not so much with the rock fans...but his country base is big enough.....why can't EPE make a deal with walmart?

You think the younger generation music fan thinks Walmart is hip? Where, in Alabama or Oklahoma? Oh, Garth has a big presence in some Walmart in Iowa, that truly represents the youth of America.

Who cares if EPE makes a deal with Walmart or not? All they can do is sell Elvis lampshades and the Aloha and 68 Comeback DVDs. They do not control the Elvis Presley music catalogue.

Sony/BMG can make an Elvis deal with Walmart and don't be surprised if they do when they unleash their 2007 30th Anniversary of Elvis' passing campaign.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:57 am

shanebrown wrote:
joshferrell wrote:True...if you forget about ELV1S
Second To None
Hitstory
Elvis By The Presleys

And this doesn't count the annual "Love" and "Christmas" annoyances

These may be mainstream but they are only compilations.

And again, with the Beatles, they have much better managed catalogue than Elvis and their material is much more of a consistantly higher standard - although not to my taste.

You miss the point...will even compilations of Johnny Cash be issued in near the number as Elvis 30 years after his death.

I think not :D

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:58 am

"Sony/BMG can make an Elvis deal with Walmart and don't be surprised if they do when they unleash their 2007 30th Anniversary of Elvis' passing campaign."

I sure hope so......... and as far as garth brooks,something must be working because walmart has been doing this promotion for the last three years.....and again I would say that he has a big country following....which is a big business.......
Last edited by joshferrell on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:05 am

"Who cares if EPE makes a deal with Walmart or not? All they can do is sell Elvis lampshades and the Aloha and 68 Comeback DVDs. They do not control the Elvis Presley music catalogue"

lol.I agree about that but they could sell elvis tshirts,posters, and maby even create a whole line of elvis clothing.....

Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 am

there is a bootleg of a new york show from 1996 from soundboard where johnny does most of the songs from the unchained cd which is from the american sessions. only one i know of.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:22 am

there are a few others floating around from 94-96 where he does some of the American recordings if anybody wants a list please pm me,

personally as a fan of both artists having been brought up on Elvis i was always a fan, i got into Johnny Cash through an ex girlfriends dad when i was 19 that was 20 years ago and i actually got ot see him live 3 times something as already mentioned due to the fact he toured the world and gave us the opportunity to see him something Elvis never did the lasttime i saw him in Leicester UK on his mystery of life tour i was lucky enough to meet both Johnny and June and i can still remember it clearly to this day it seemed like he was 100ft tall, but was so friendly and signed an lp for me.
On a music level it depends what mood i am in if i want just to listen to music without having to think about it, its Elvis everytime as so many of his songs are just "love songs" and i say that very loosely his work is great and i love it but if i want to listen to something that tells a story then Johnny wins hands down, just listen (if your lucky enough to have them) his Ridin the rails sections from the Johnny Cash Show import cds and you'll learn more about american history than any book will teach you.

that said i am a huge fan of both and the main reason for me that Johnny is popular now is because of "walk the line" and also because he covered and worked with many great current artists U2 amongst them and his story in many ways is more intriguing than Elvis but what really really amazes me it that if it wasn't for Elvis there wouldn't have been a Johnny and the fact that they both recorded pure magicout of that little studio on 706 union avenue in Memphis.

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:29 am

I think there are a lot of misconceptions floating around here.

Johnny Cash is more a of a "hip" taste now because unlike Elvis his death was fairly recent. He had been recording a popular series of albums at the time of his death. That gave Cash a great visibility at the time of his death which is again was only three years ago. Elvis has been dead almost ten times as long. Ten times. The newest Cash note is only three years old, the newest Elvis song is again ten times as old. There is simply no person under the age 30 who remembers a time when Elvis Presley was alive. That's a big deal.

Because Cash died in an up period, when he was 30 years older than Elvis at his death, his legend is enhanced in a way it wouldn't have been 30 years. I guarantee if Cash had died in say 1990 things his "hipness" and reputation would have been much different. He was a caricature for many people for years and years.

Also the good music at the time of his death made people forgive and forget his indifferent work. It's a little much to say he released no embarrassing albums. Even someone immersed in the American Recordings and the Sun stuff would have been knocked for a loop by
The Junkie and The Juicehead Minus Me. He was considered lost for a far longer time than Elvis' tenure in Hollywood.

I do believe that people will be listening to his best work 30 years from now because he is one of the seminal country acts. However, the scales seem in his favor now because of his recent demise.

I don't know what hipsters and mass popularity means. Both guys made important music that will continue to speak to those willing to listen. Will it always sell as well as the latest Britney or no-talent to catch the public's fancy but it will still be meaningful nonetheless.

Also the main assaults on Elvis' 70s work and image- the Jungle Room, the stage wear, the countrypolitan production- were not because Elvis kept up with the times but because he did.

I don't think there is any problem with Elvis's songs being just love songs. The most embarrassing cringe inducing music I have ever heard in my life is usually an attempt to "say something".

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:40 am

i didnt mean there was a problem with them being love songs that was probably the wrong expression, for me it depends on my mood i supppose as to what i choose to listen to every artist releases "bad" stuff if they have a long career and alot of new artist nowdays release garbage stuff and there careers probably only last a couple of years.
i actually like listening to Elvis so called poorer film soundtracks i think alot of the songs serve the purpose they were meant for to support the films which again i like i dont watch or listen to them and analyze why they never won grammy's or oscars lets face it they werent meant to, i also enjoy "everybody loves a nut" lp which makes me laugh because if the Beatles had (did) smake some of the films that Elvis made and recorded some of the songs Johnny recorded when he was high the would have been called geniusus or revolutionary etc etc but here are two guys who were truely revolutionary and others followed.

i have no gripes with either artist and would choose their music over any of todays modern stuff and i agree with what you say about the time differences