All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:38 pm

I've ordered the book and take the CD's for what they are.
After so many releases of live '69 material, what can one expect of what's left in the can?
And for the demos, they are what they claim to be, demos!
Lucky for Elvis who manage to stumble over more than a hundred Billboard Hot 100 entries with his renditions of demos?!?
I should have known he tricked us with his artistry all the way! :?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:10 am

Hi folks!

I'm listening to the Demo cd for the third time as I write this, and I must say it's quite a fascinating listen!

Heartbreak Hotel is nowhere near the electrifying Elvis version. No big difference in the actual arrangement, though.

Teddy Bear is almost a different song. I don't fancy this version...

Don't Ask Me Why is a nice surprise. This demo is great! I'm almost beginning to think that Elvis didn't get the best out of this! Best so far.

Hard Headed Woman lacks the powerful drive in Elvis' version. Otherwise a good version. The piano playing reminds me of Jerry Lee...

Trouble - well, what can I say? This demo isn't bad, but it's certainly not great either! Compare with Elvis' version, and you'll spot the difference...

The Wear My Ring Around Your Neck demo reminds me of Ricky Van Shelton's version a few years back.

Pocketful Of Rainbows is very similar to Elvis' version, both tempo and arrangement is not far off.

No More is similar to Elvis' version in some parts, but Elvis didn't do a complete "raw copy". Nice harmony vocals, and a good version.

Marie's The Name Of His Latest Flame - I can't listen to this. This sounds very much like the early Elvis takes of the song, but I understand why he changed the arrangement after a few takes. Sounds a bit like Tom Jones, actually!

Good Luck Charm shows that Elvis almost copied the demo. The big difference is the quality of the demo singer vs Elvis... :wink:

The Devil In Disguise demo is neither "dirty" or catchy, compared to Elvis', to put it that way. Enormous difference, although the arrangement actually is almost equal!

Viva Las Vegas - The alternate take of this song on Silver Screen Stereo is very similar to this demo! Good version!

Come On Everybody is also very much the same as we're used to with Elvis' version. I like this song, and also this demo!

Kissin' Cousins is once again a good demo. I also spotted a few differences in the lyrics..? Was the lyrics changed for Elvis, or did he himself change the words at the session..?

The My Desert Serenade demo shows that Elvis could've done more with this song, which isn't bad at all! Great vocal performance and arrangement!

The Could I Fall In Love demo made me almost speechless when listening to it for the first time! This is in fact a good ballad! Too bad it was used for the Double Trouble soundtrack, when things obviously was rushed a bit...

The Love Machine - Never liked this song when sung by Elvis, and don't fancy the demo either. It's not that bad, but it certainly ain't classic 60s material either.

Clambake - Now, this was interesting! An alternate song, considered (?) for use for the movie soundtrack! This song is far better than the one(s) actually used, in my humble opinion! Then again, they weren't exactly masterpieces, either...

Wearin' That Loved On Look - Wow! Here we can spot a HUGE difference in the arrangements! Elvis' version is faster. This certainly ain't a bad demo, but Elvis made miracles with his version!

I've Lost You - this demo is beautiful! Fantastic version! Compared to Elvis' version, this is a bit different - more slow tempo. They're both great, though!

The Next Step Is Love - Not far off Elvis' version in the arrangement, but Elvis' version is superior by far!

Mary In The Morning - I can't help but thinking of Glen Campbell when hearing this song. This demo is somewhere between Glen's and Elvis' versions.

Burning Love - Man, I thought it was John Fogerty singing on this! Immediately made me think of Creedence! :wink: This shows that Elvis still had the ability of improving and putting his own mark on songs when working in the studio in the 70s!

T-R-O-U-B-L-E This is possibly the best example of what I just wrote regarding Burning Love! This demo is plain country - Elvis' version ROCKS! Enormous difference.

Raised On Rock - The songwriter has said in interviews that he thought Elvis' didn't get the best out of this song. This demo proves that the song had potential.

Way Down closes the disc - and it's close to Elvis' version. Once again I feel that the demo is the "nice" version, while Elvis' version is more intense and kicks ass!

Well, that's just a quick run-through by me. Hopefully it was a little bit interesting to read... :wink:

Finally, I would say that WRITING FOR THE KING is a great book, with a great Demo cd and (a not so great, sound wise) live cd (why put a live cd on a project like this in the first place?).

Bottom line: Highly recommended!

Best Regards
Kristian

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:15 am

Fascinating info, thanks Kristian!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:17 am

Sounds very interesting reviews on the demo disc- sounds most interesting, however concerned about etp and the comment about 2nd disc- this is a 'worry' and hopefully i'll read a more lengthy review before buying it? :roll:

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 am

Kristian -- your thoughtful track-by-track analysis of the "Demos" disc proves Writing For The King (FTD) is a most worthy project for the deep Elvis fans, the ones who want to know HOW the magic happened. Thanks!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:39 pm

I've had the chance to listen to the records once. I must say, that the demos are very interesting - though perhaps a litte overweight of inferior (+) movie songs, Burt still it is very interesting. The live cd is ok, burt like some others here I think it is out of place. It would have been much more interesting to hear Elvis' versions of the songs - perhaps with outtakes - of the ones presented on the demo disc, I think

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:17 am

The live disc sounds great to my ears ! I have actually only listened to it once (been playing the demo disc a lot more and have been buried in the book). But nothing wrong with the sound, in fact, the 69' tracks sounds much better than the ones feautered on FTD All Shook Up which has a strange mix/sound that I'm not too fond of (still better than a soundboard though).

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:22 pm

[quote="spectacle Carver"]

I think the best book by far this year is Elvis at 21, this is a monster and twice as cheap, twice as big, 10 x times better.[/quote

Has "Elvis at 21" actually got any "new" or previously unpublished photos in it or the same ones he has been using/pedalling for years? The preview showed nothing new.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:26 pm

[quote="JeroenNL"]

''Raised On Rock'. I hope we get this song in a better remix from Ernst one day as the Master is a bit messy.

Listen to "ROR" on the Japanese 1999 remaster; it certainly aint "messy" on there and sounds as clear and fresh as anything I've ever heard.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:36 am

TONY wrote:Has "Elvis at 21" actually got any "new" or previously unpublished photos in it ...

It has a bunch, and the layout and printing are top-notch. A few double fold-open pages here and there are really effective. There's a great shot of Presley on Allen, from stage right, during Elvis' first few minutes on the air.

If you like Elvis in 1956, this one is essential.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:57 am

Well i havn't actually got this release yet, but friday WAS allowed to hear the 2 discs and browse the book- i must say now I WILL be getting this set, the books layout and chapters are a fascinating insight! a REAL book to treasure and read with cotton gloves!...wouldn't want to de-value THIS BOOK with a bacon sandwich grease would we!!! :oops:
The live cd is 'ok', but because most of the 69 tracks i already have it's only the 70's ones that are new...and a few of those are pretty stuffed up versions too. So bit an odds & ends cut and paste performance sounding cd actually.The demo disc is EXACTLY as Kristians brilliant review says...why i might even listen to it more than once-great insight into how Elvis changed HIS versions of the songs!!! I would say the sheer quality of the thick book makes it a fantastic read and for sure i'm buying this package- really tremendously put together! :lol:

Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:45 am

YDKM wrote:Well i havn't actually got this release yet, but friday WAS allowed to hear the 2 discs and browse the book- i must say now I WILL be getting this set, the books layout and chapters are a fascinating insight! a REAL book to treasure and read with cotton gloves!...wouldn't want to de-value THIS BOOK with a bacon sandwich grease would we!!! :oops:
The live cd is 'ok', but because most of the 69 tracks i already have it's only the 70's ones that are new...and a few of those are pretty stuffed up versions too. So bit an odds & ends cut and paste performance sounding cd actually.The demo disc is EXACTLY as Kristians brilliant review says...why i might even listen to it more than once-great insight into how Elvis changed HIS versions of the songs!!! I would say the sheer quality of the thick book makes it a fantastic read and for sure i'm buying this package- really tremendously put together! :lol:

But in another thread
YDKM wrote:Yes i just listened to this release and i wasn't too impressed that (most) of the 1969 tracks i already had, however a few different 1970 and 1972 ones made it 'worthwhile' but it's certainly NOT an essential release!:

Come on, man. Which is it? I think the book is worth the price alone. The demo disc is interesting to hear what Elvis heard and the Vegas disc is also a nice listen. I think it is an essential release and am glad I went for it (like I would have passed on it).

All of the books that FTD has released are very good and this one is no exception.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:18 am

i think the book is fantastic and it is very nice to hear what Elvis has done with The Demos, most of the time Elvis versions are much better
but i like Pocketfull of Rainbows, i think this version is better than the version Elvis did.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:25 am

Rob-don't know how you cannot understand my 2 posts about 'writing for the king' basically i'm saying the 2 discs have 'limited' lasting interest-yet the book DOES ... ok? :roll:

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Received this book today, doing a little catch up....
I personally like a lot of things about this release from FTD

First, the two disc's included, one being a demo disc made
up of the song writer demo's that Elvis heard, I thought was
pretty cool to hear.

Actually I liked some of the versions an
do plan on listening to this disc more than a few
times I'm sure....

One thing I will say is, it would have been nice to hear
Elvis' version right after each demo to compare....

But of course any of us could make up our own
CD that would do this for us....if we wanted it
laid out that way...

Other than that I'm glad FTD made this disc available to us...

For the 2nd disc, well what can one say, cool stuff 69-72

A disc that will get many plays in my car....as I never
seem to have the time anymore to listen to this stuff at home...

Another thing I will say here is, it's funny but then again not,
but it almost seemed that when Elvis felt he did his job
on any particular song and he knew it prior to singing
whatever song it was again, I think if he knew he had
a perfect version in the "can" so to speak,
It appeared sometimes he wouldn't go out of his
way to take some songs too serious again.
Like for example "Don't Cry Daddy" or
"Just Can't Help Believing" as examples
on this disc, Elvis ends up laughing a little bit or ends
up being distracted where really none of these versions on most
of what is on this disc would have been released as actual masters
back in the 70's...if that makes sense....

Sad but true, still for the Hardcore still great to listen too...

When it comes to the book, I'm pleased, if there was any disappointment
I would have like to have seen more pictures of Elvis, however the
book does provide many en site full interviews by the writers of
the songs Elvis did end up recording....

I like the idea for every chapter given to each writer, the list
of songs that each writer had his material recorded by Elvis
is listed....

Over all I would say, I once again am pleased with this
FTD release.

I would recommend it, especially if your the type of person
who wants the inside scoop by the writer as to how their song
came to be recorded by Elvis.....

PEP 8)