All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Writing for the king - not for me

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:24 pm

I just saw the price for the upcoming Writing For The King book/cd. Amazon US - $ 160. My local dealer asks 70 euro's. Even 70 euro's is way too high. I mean maybe a 400 page book with 2 cd's could be a fair price. For me only the Elvis live cd is what i would like to have. De demo cd is maybe good for one turn in the car. And the book i will read once and it ends up on the shelf.

What's next for FTD Screenwriting for the king, Making album covers for the king, Directing the king, costaring with the king, and so on. I know this is bullsh**. But my point is i if Ernst wants to sell books , he's free to go, if he wants to sell cd's then split them from the books.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:27 pm

glad you shared your opinion with all of us!

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:40 pm

I agree, FTD should keep to publishing cd's. I, for one, will not be buying the books from FTD

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Writing For The King book/cd. Amazon US - $ 160. My local dealer asks 70 euro's.

That's laughable. With projects like this Ernst will kill FTD. I wouldn't pay more than 50 $ for this. Demos and stories by other artists for 160 $...that's simply laughable:) To me only the live CD would be interesting,but Ernst screwed up even that. Why he didn't release the complete aug. 24 th M/S at least? The songs from the feb./aug. '70 and feb. '72 shows will appear on later projects. Probably fans will rebuy the aug. '69 recordings,too,when they will release the complete shows one day. So there's no reason to me to buy this. I'm sure a few hundred fans can afford this,but most of us can't. They will delete this book/CD set from the catalog within a few years,just like the other dubious book.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:49 pm

Kylan wrote: glad you shared your opinion with all of us!

Somehow, I don't think you are.

Re: Writing for the king - not for me

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:58 pm

philobeddo wrote:Writing for the king - not for me.

Jth wrote:I, for one, will not be buying the books from FTD.

Johanesson wrote:So there's no reason to me to buy this.

Oh, that's just great! Now you guys tell me since I've already pre-ordered mine!

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:59 pm

ive Bought every ftd And i like them all And ernst / roger have been doing a first class job But i will not be buying the book and cds im not to happy about missing it has i wanted the whole collection but this has no interest to me at all the live cd would have been a good stand alone release.

Jess

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Oh yeah, that's right. Just keep rubbing it in!

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:06 pm

I'm definitely buying it - more for the 2 CDs than the book, but it may be interesting. The demos are another way to see Elvis' studio mind and how he shaped a song. I wish there'd be a whole collection of his demos to buy - I'd have the whole thing.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:52 pm

I said this on a previous thread on this subject, but I will restate it here.
I wish I could just buy the book.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:28 pm

Friends, if you scroll down a little bit, you will find that there is a 43 pages long "Moaning about Writing For The King before it's even released" thread already. :wink:

Hopefully, Ernst and his team will recover eventually. I am a big fan of the FTD books and would like to see many more in the future.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 pm

I will buy this book/2CD without any hesitation. The unreleased live tracks from '69 s worth the price alone for me. The rest is just a grate bonus.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:35 pm

That is one cool avatar, man. I wonder when FTD will release a book about that first Vegas season?

:smt055

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:57 pm

quote: The unreleased live tracks from '69 s worth the price alone for me.

One cd worth $160!!??

This is insane. I will sell you any of my cd's for $160.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:32 pm

ekenee wrote:quote: The unreleased live tracks from '69 s worth the price alone for me.

One cd worth $160!!??

Well, Amazon may sell this book / CD project for $160 but that is irrlevant. If you buy "Writing For The King" from this site or Now Dig This, you'll get it much cheaper.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:02 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Friends, if you scroll down a little bit, you will find that there is a 43 pages long "Moaning about Writing For The King before it's even released" thread already. :wink:

Hopefully, Ernst and his team will recover eventually. I am a big fan of the FTD books and would like to see many more in the future.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Well said, at least the first half...! C'mon, people. They're doing up the project to the hilt. I've cried poverty about FTD's in the past, but sooner or later, I catch up and get them all. There can only be so many projects about such a subject, although I agree more might have been done to keep the price down. All the FTD book/Cd projects have been worthy (and for the patient, you could find them cheaper in time) so a lot of us will have to just wait and see if we can get it cheaper later.

This whole "I don't read books" thing is not the most complimentary thing someone can say about themselves... :lol:

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:58 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Friends, if you scroll down a little bit, you will find that there is a 43 pages long "Moaning about Writing For The King before it's even released" thread already. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Well said, at least the first half...!

Wot? You didn't like the second half? I was just trying to say that I hope the FTD guys don't get too depressed over the unfair and negative feedback they have received for this project. Yes, FTD is a business. But Ernst and his team are also genuine fans like the rest of us, and I know that if I was in their shoes now, I would be seriously depressed. But then again I always was a sensitve guy. :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 am

Interesting....

Will those of you baulking at the latest offering from FTD be doing the same for the SUN bonanza we are waiting for?

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:55 am

The spirit of Col. Tom Parker is alive and well in Denmark!

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:01 am

Although unscientific, the elvisnews.com polls are usually a reasonably good snapshot of the world of hardcore Elvis fans.

Given the noise of the complainers about Writing for the King, I had expected that site's recent referendum to be a landslide against the project.

Instead, the support topped 80 percent. That showed me once again that the detractors may make more noise, but Ernst and FTD have the numbers behind them.

I'm looking forward to this project, and I'm glad to see most diehard fans are, too.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:42 am

ekenee wrote:quote: The unreleased live tracks from '69 s worth the price alone for me.

One cd worth $160!!??

Well if you have unreleased Reel-reel recordings from Vegas '69 we have a deal. 8)

And giving more cash to FTD is something i have zero problems with, they have allready given(sold) me hours upon hours of joy.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:53 am

Quote: Well if you have unreleased Reel-reel recordings from Vegas '69 we have a deal.

Food for thought: Within the next few weeks, the 1969 recordings on

the writing for a king set will no longer be unreleased.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:38 am

Keef, in my great haste, I misread the intent of the second part of your post. So right on...with apologies!

And Elvissessions makes a great point!

The title of this post and other gripes risk sounding like, well, sour grapes!

I struggle as much as anyone to keep up with and / or afford FTDs (let alone imports, DVD or CD) but far be it for me to tell the E world to "slow down" or to resort to putting down the project.

I defy any serious fan to sit down with this "Fit for a King" project (if they're lucky enough to have it) and say: "Boy, this sucks!"

Having eventually gotten all the FTD book/CD projects, I've never said to myself: what a piece of crap." They all are (overall) must-haves for serious, hard-core fans.

We can all free to take ourselves out of that category at times. I've done it myself. Life has a way of "calling." But it's great to know that there are such quality projects still coming out. Bravo, I say!

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Well said, at least the first half...!

Wot? You didn't like the second half? I was just trying to say that I hope the FTD guys don't get too depressed over the unfair and negative feedback they have received for this project.

OK, I'm coming clean. I'm sure no one noticed, bit I was being unusually sarcastic with my posts, which is something that is normally not my nature.

By the way, I have paid more than $160.00 for a single disc before. I also had a dirty thought while sitting in church a few weeks ago. I once put an expensive baseball in a cheap box and paid for it. I broke a date with a girl once and told her I was sick so I could go out with another one.

I also like Three Corn Patches. All right, I've told everything now and feel so much better.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Since I am interested in the original versions of songs later recorded by Elvis and also demo's, I will buy this book without hesitation.
It is very interesting to hear how Elvis copied the original version or demo note for note on some songs, while on others he completely changed the song.
The list of original versions I am still looking for is on my website. Exchange material available. :D