Desert Storm - The Shattering of a myth

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by joshferrell »

is that the photo from that concert? if so he looks good there...any more pictures from the concert?

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rickeap »

thanks for the responses
rick

Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

EXCELLENT review of this book on EIN....

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_desertstorm_2005.html

A poignant comment from this review, although quoted here in isoaltion, I think it is spot on.........'Unfortunately the critics exhibit exactly what they criticise Darrin Lee for...a lack of balance and substance. Their vitriol is misguided and their selective use of issues is very transparent.'

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

just read the review of desert storm on Elvis Info Network.

darrin lee you can kiss my ass!

robt has spoken

Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

Robt wrote:just read the review of desert storm on Elvis Info Network.

darrin lee you can kiss my ass!

robt has spoken
Obviously another graduate of the 'Doctor' John CARPenter School Of Charm.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

ouch ouch Larr,

I'IIIII'mmm sooo hurt....!!

Did Elvis really perform "fever" on closing night, september 2 1974
at Las Vegas? Ain't on my copy! What was it edited out of the CD, wow!!
And what of the "source" that overheard Priscilla attack Elvis' man hood
during a song that never was even sung! If she made such a reference against his "manhood" howcome the source waited 32 years to conveniently surface
from the woodwork and supply that startling piece of information to the author
of "desert storm"? it's pure and simply crapola.

robt has spoken

Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

Robt wrote:ouch ouch Larr,

I'IIIII'mmm sooo hurt....!!
Don't be.

Did Elvis really perform "fever" on closing night, september 2 1974
at Las Vegas? Ain't on my copy! What was it edited out of the CD, wow!!...This is possibly an error.....we ALL make them, some people even make errors in books! :wink:
And what of the "source" that overheard Priscilla attack Elvis' man hood
during a song that never was even sung! If she made such a reference against his "manhood" howcome the source waited 32 years to conveniently surface
from the woodwork and supply that startling piece of information to the author
of "desert storm"?.... Won't know until I have read the book..... it's pure and simply crapola......your humble opinion...

robt has spoken....quite obviously, as your name is attached to this post

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

hey Larr, Larr!

You got me confuesed here. If you acknowledged that Desert Storm is errorneous then why would you want to spend a lot of $$$ buying it or
any other Elvis book that's erroneous? Its a waste of hard earned and saved money.

For those reasons, I personally gave up on Elvis books years ago and have no desire
to ever buy another Elvis book again.

Out of interest didja also get the other book that the same author
has put out prior to this one?
If so how bad was it?

robt has spoken

Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

Robt wrote:hey Larr, Larr!

You got me confuesed here. If you acknowledged that Desert Storm is errorneous then why would you want to spend a lot of $$$ buying it or
any other Elvis book that's erroneous? Its a waste of hard earned and saved money.....quite possibly, but I enjoy reading and am yet to have read a book that does not contain an error......For those reasons, I personally gave up on Elvis books years ago and have no desire
to ever buy another Elvis book again....your prerogative....

Out of interest didja also get the other book that the same author
has put out prior to this one? ....No...
If so how bad was it?

robt has spoken ......Larry has replied.....

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Marko »

rickeap wrote: However, as Ginger has said, I think his drug use may have been exaggerated by those who would have you believe he was constantly comatose for the final years of his life.
rick
Well, he certainly wasn't totally stoned 24/7 even during his last days. The man was driving a car just hours before he died. He frequently drove a motorbike during the last months of his life. You can't drive a car or a motorbike without an accident if you're totally waisted on drugs.
Last edited by Marko on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Xaykev

Post by Xaykev »

To me Elvis sounds fine on "Desert Storm".
Honestly.
To me he doesn't sound stoned at all.
When Elvis speaks his speech is not slurred, and he is not mumbling.
He seemed pissed and mad because of certain things, and he talks about it in a very aggressive way.
But still, during the monologue, he is polite...saying "don't get offended, ladies and gentleman...."
Of course we can question if he should talk about personal stuff on stage.
But personally I have absolutely no problems with Elvis speaking out in the way he did.

Joern
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joern »

Xaykev wrote:To me Elvis sounds fine on "Desert Storm".
Honestly.
To me he doesn't sound stoned at all.
When Elvis speaks his speech is not slurred, and he is not mumbling.
He seemed pissed and mad because of certain things, and he talks about it in a very aggressive way.
But still, during the monologue, he is polite...saying "don't get offended, ladies and gentleman...."
Of course we can question if he should talk about personal stuff on stage.
But personally I have absolutely no problems with Elvis speaking out in the way he did.
Yeah, you're right. Everything's fine and Elvis is doing alright.

God almighty. Open up your eyes, guys...

Joern

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Marko wrote:
rickeap wrote: However, as Ginger has said, I think his drug use may have been exaggerated by those who would have you believe he was constantly comatose for the final years of his life.
rick
Well, he certainly wasn't totally stoned 24/7 even during his last days. The man was driving a car just hours before he died. He frequently drove a motorbike during the last monts of his life. You can't drive a car or a motorbike without an accident if you're totally waisted on drugs.
At a high speed yet. How many car accidents or any kind of vehicular accidents for that matter, did he get in? Does the number 0 ring a bell!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

With Elvis' addiction the days he was not "wasted" were the days he consumed the minimum an addict needs to be "normal" which is enough to kill anyone because of the degree of tolerance years of abuse (does not matter willingly or not ...abuse nevertheless) ....And Elvis died because of just that...Too much tolerance and as time went by no way of calculating what was enough to kill cause he was already dangerously close to the flames...IMO.....Ger is as much a fan as any of us but the love for our man does that to some people....Anger because it was so stupid at 42!!!! and you sometimes hate someone for dying on you....nothing to do with compassion...he is dead already!! and not suffering!...compassion should go to the main thing that got Elvis depressed...knowing he would not see his little girl grow up!!!! and the next time you criticize her.... feel some COMPASSION for a kid that lost his FATHER who happened to be EP and all the crap(worlds eyes on you etc..) that went with it!!!

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

JLGB wrote:With Elvis' addiction the days he was not "wasted" were the days he consumed the minimum an addict needs to be "normal" which is enough to kill anyone because of the degree of tolerance years of abuse (does not matter willingly or not ...abuse nevertheless) ....And Elvis died because of just that...Too much tolerance and as time went by no way of calculating what was enough to kill cause he was already dangerously close to the flames...IMO.....Ger is as much a fan as any of us but the love for our man does that to some people....Anger because it was so stupid at 42!!!! and you sometimes hate someone for dying on you....nothing to do with compassion...he is dead already!! and not suffering!...compassion should go to the main thing that got Elvis depressed...knowing he would not see his little girl grow up!!!! and the next time you criticize her.... feel some COMPASSION for a kid that lost his FATHER who happened to be EP and all the crap(worlds eyes on you etc..) that went with it!!!
What's wrong with being sympathetic towards a tortured soul? Let see, my father died 6 years ago, so I shouldn't feel compassion for how brutal his last days were, especially when we get together as a family and talk about how he suffered. With EP, his last few years get rehashed over and over, he gets slammed repeatedly, yet I should "hate" him because he had an illness that led to his premature death, that would make me one sick person if you ask me. Should I hate Hendrix, Cobain, Morrison or just countless of people who died before their time? Should I hate Joe Frazier or Ken Norton or the dozens of other boxers who are punchy, victims of their professions.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Joe Car wrote:
JLGB wrote:With Elvis' addiction the days he was not "wasted" were the days he consumed the minimum an addict needs to be "normal" which is enough to kill anyone because of the degree of tolerance years of abuse (does not matter willingly or not ...abuse nevertheless) ....And Elvis died because of just that...Too much tolerance and as time went by no way of calculating what was enough to kill cause he was already dangerously close to the flames...IMO.....Ger is as much a fan as any of us but the love for our man does that to some people....Anger because it was so stupid at 42!!!! and you sometimes hate someone for dying on you....nothing to do with compassion...he is dead already!! and not suffering!...compassion should go to the main thing that got Elvis depressed...knowing he would not see his little girl grow up!!!! and the next time you criticize her.... feel some COMPASSION for a kid that lost his FATHER who happened to be EP and all the crap(worlds eyes on you etc..) that went with it!!!
What's wrong with being sympathetic towards a tortured soul? Let see, my father died 6 years ago, so I shouldn't feel compassion for how brutal his last days were, especially when we get together as a family and talk about how he suffered. With EP, his last few years get rehashed over and over, he gets slammed repeatedly, yet I should "hate" him because he had an illness that led to his premature death, that would make me one sick person if you ask me. Should I hate Hendrix, Cobain, Morrison or just countless of people who died before their time? Should I hate Joe Frazier or Ken Norton or the dozens of other boxers who are punchy, victims of their professions.
Of course not! But it is ok to get real mad ( so substitute mad on my previous post).....nevertheless with loved ones it gets to be love/hate at certain times when you wish things were different and you feel impotent about not being able to change a thing.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Xaykev wrote:Of course we can question if he should talk about personal stuff on stage. But personally I have absolutely no problems with Elvis speaking out in the way he did.
Well, I have a huge problem with it.

I am an Elvis fan in every sense of the word and often support him on many shows and recordings that others here do not. However, the Desert Storm show as well as the College Park show on September 28, 1974 are two that I have to make myself listen to (which is once every couple of years).

Elvis was paid to get on stage and perform. He was not there to discuss personal issues about himself and Priscilla. He wasn't there to publicly insult Mike Stone and it is nothing less than humiliating when he goes into his drug rage near the end of the show. It was totally unprofessional and should not have happened.

I'm extremely happy that I was an Elvis fan long before I heard the closing show in Las Vegas on September 2, 1974.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Rob wrote:Elvis was paid to get on stage and perform. He was not there to discuss personal issues. It was totally unprofessional and should not have happened.
I can understand our hero...
Elvis never gave interviews and by the mid '70's was one of the most attacked persons in showbizz.

Maybe unprofessional, but the concert stage was obviously his stage to spread his word.
Don't forget Elvis prepared a speech he wanted to use during the August'77 tour after the bodyguard book release.
(He was affraid the audience would turn against him!)
I think he was entitled to defend himself the way he wanted!
Elvis made bad desicions in his life, but was treated extremely disrespectful in his lifetime.
And unfortunately, things continued after he died.

Cheers, RJ

Xaykev

Post by Xaykev »

Don't even compare Desert Storm to College Park.
Huge difference.
In College Park Elvis is certainly was drugged, you can hear that by the way he talks and also about what he's saying.
No doubt.
But in Desert Storm I can't seem to hear that he is high.
Yes, he is mad, and said things he never did in earlier shows....but high as a kite...don't think so.

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

my friend,

re College Park:

Were yu aware that the college park concert as released by
fort baxter was playing in a slower speed than what it was!

To listen to College Park in it's corrected speed certainly puts this show
in a different light! Hi and thanks Mr Panasonic!!!

robt has spoken

rickeap

Post by rickeap »

Of course Elvis had the right to discuss matters, both personal and political, from the stage if he chose.
How many of today's acts, U2 and Steve Earle for example, use the stage for political grandstanding?
I concede that some of his personal statements during '74 were off-kilter but speaking out on drug rumours and general gossip should have been a poisitive step for hiim.
I am pleased Elvis ranted against the rumours but I am saddened that he wasn't able to break the cycle.
As Joe Car rightly said, we should be showing compassion for the man not trying to constantly belittle his problems.
rick

Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

hey rickeap,

your spot on!

i'm not as bothered or offended as apparently other fans seem to be
bout the desert storm and college park shows. In fact
they're amongst my favourites. too many tennis fans seem to
lose sight that those releases were only released to us the
purists/collectors and not for the general public.

What is the point of being offended, ashamed or angry when
he's been dead nearly three decades. Those shows from august/sept
1974 helps give us an insight asto where he was at.

If anybody in the U.S. has any article and reviews of college park maryland or indeed other shows during this period,
i sure would appreciate it if you could scan over a copy of it!

Larry Dickman

Post by Larry Dickman »

Astute words, Rick and Rob.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Robt wrote:my friend,

re College Park:

Were yu aware that the college park concert as released by
fort baxter was playing in a slower speed than what it was!

To listen to College Park in it's corrected speed certainly puts this show
in a different light! Hi and thanks Mr Panasonic!!!

robt has spoken
WTF?
I always thought Elvis himself acted in slowmotion that evening.
Can you be more specific about the technical aspect of your statement?

Thanks....

Rob

Post by Rob »

Xaykev wrote:Don't even compare Desert Storm to College Park.
Huge difference.
In College Park Elvis is certainly was drugged, you can hear that by the way he talks and also about what he's saying.
No doubt.
But in Desert Storm I can't seem to hear that he is high.
Yes, he is mad, and said things he never did in earlier shows....but high as a kite...don't think so.
Who compared them? I simply said that they are two shows that I hardly listen to -- plain and simple.