All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Desert Storm - The Shattering of a myth

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 pm

Just read the new post for this book. How can you try and justify this Elvis' performance (available on the Fort Baxter release 'Desert Storm')? It is well documented that this was a period in which Elvis' medication consumption took a sharp increase. Although listening to the CD is very interesting for the Elvis collector/ Historian it is also makes you cringe in parts and at the same time wonder how it got to this stage. One snippet reads:

The Drugs Dialogue is dissected over a number of chapters and Fort Baxter’s “Desert Storm” 2 CD set receives an incredible 30 pages of exhaustive analysis.

You’ll be intrigued with the context in which Elvis’ ex-wife yelled out (from The Presley booth) a reference to his manhood! Show tapes reveal Cilla was actually the aggressor! Some folks think Elvis embarrassed her with The Priscilla Dialogue; the fact is he acted honourably with a touch of humour to defend her reputation against vicious fan gossip

I do not claim to be an Elvis expert but this sounds like a long term Elvis fan who was there that night trying to defend his actions.

What do you think?

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Priscilla shouted out "Elvis has a small dick!"

She was of course speaking of Dick Grobe, who stood a mere 5feet 8 inches!

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:23 pm

Very good! :lol:

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:36 pm

I have (unfortunately) bought the first book of this guy wich dealt with the ELVIS IN CONCERT special. It's a complete white wash of history, this guy just claims that everything was, is and will always be alright and how great Elvis was, how good he looked and how well he sung. The author is not only deaf, he is also blind and seems to have lost every touch of the real life. If you listen to "Desert Storm" you can clearly hear that Elvis was strung out that night. His voice never failed him and some songs where performed well, but he was definitely out of controll. Even if Priscilla shouted something about Elvis having a small dick, the king should have lived up to his name and ignore such comments or making a joke about it. He made a complete fool out of himself that night. All those Elvis freaks on this board may think something different, but just play "Desert Storm" to a non-fan and ask him about that show. If I had been in the audience that night, I certainly would have been impressed with this show. But not because I would have been able to judge what I saw properly, but simply because I am a fan and I would be impressed to see my hero live in front of me. Nothing else. It would just have been blinders that I would wear and certainly no proper few on the things that happend on that stage that night.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 pm

One thing is for sure, DJC is a staunch fan of this author.

:lol: just teasin ya Doc!

desert storm

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:10 pm

My Good friend polk salad (annie) saw shows from 30th aug to closing night aug/sept 74, she was sat right at the front centre stage for 2 or 3 shows she at the show (night fever in vegas) when elvis got heckled in which he replied with F YOU,, she told me it really didnt seem bad how elvis stated it in the showroom that night , also many fans commented this fact to her after the show!!
as per desert storm closing show of this season, psa also stated that in the room that night it didnt in her opinion seem as shocking as we all hear now on cd, sure ep had a lot on his mind, but she says he was fun and sounded great, and yes got a few things off his chest but in the showroom that night it didnt seem too bad , but listening to the show now theres lots of different opinions about it and some not all bad.
imo if only he had a swipe at the colonel things may have changed for the better.
just thought id share this with you as psa told me! its also a real thrill to hold the white scarf she got on closing night sweat stained to boot, 8) knowing its authenticity also is a bonus in a dodgy dealing area of elvis memorabillia
Anyway psa is currently typing up her concert experiences and if shes ok with it as soon as i get myne ill share with you all too as its a joy to hear concert experiences from those who were lucky to have had the ear rejoicing pleasure :)

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 pm

She is so lucky, I for one cant wait to hear her reviews :)
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: .

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:29 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:One thing is for sure, DJC is a staunch fan of this author.

Heh-heh.

Oh yes, in the Elvis literary canon, that fellow is a real miracle worker.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:38 am

One listen to the show and you can hear very clearly that Elvis is high. 30 pages of excuses won't alter that. The uppers have really kicked in to the point where he just can't be quiet. It's the reason he talks so much and the reason he oversings - with poor results for the most part. It's not a fun show to listen to, unless you like hearing a legend losing his way.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:53 am

I`ve only heard parts of the "Desert storm" but I think he got aware that the public was aware of his drug abuse and then he feelt that he had to defend himself, trying to make the public think otherwice. What I don`t understand, is WHY it just got even worse after that :?:

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:02 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Priscilla shouted out "Elvis has a small dick!"

She was of course speaking of Dick Grobe, who stood a mere 5feet 8 inches!

...and six year old Lisa was present!

desert storm

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:21 am

... are they saving Vegas, dec 76, for their next volume?!

And Hollywood? ... and... ? Nah, everything was just hunky dory.

:roll:

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 am

GREAT!

I see it from a different angle.
Did Elvis ever behave strange in the years before? He didn't just start to pop pills at this time then.

He fliped his lid, talked himself in a rage. So what!

I'm not on dope and do silly things like that sometimes if things get on top of me. (Oh dear, yes, Elvis fans are nutcases, but they are loveble ones :wink: )

And geeeee... they really where giving him hell with all that heroin cra*** by the press. I'm glad Elvis didn't have to read what came from the press in the last 29 years!

I've never seen someone staying calm for such a long spell and he always had critics around. He survived all that drug- and "We wont play Elvis in our white radio"- stuff of the 50s, he took the hard hard punches of "Silly movies-no more Elvis that we knew" in the 60s and ended up with the stupid heroin articles in the 70s... hello? I'm more surprised, that a man with that kind of temperament didn't blast the hell out of the press before. He was very calm all his career.

To take that example as a comment of a druggy is not very plausible for me at all. It lowers it down not to see the man behind an image.

I see a person strongly hurt and making a statement. Maybe the closed look into Elvis personality he ever allowed in public. Things today get a wee bit out of propotion with all the wonderful "information" of "friends" we had.

I can't remenber, that Elvis was a braindead junkie as what he is indicated by specially by "real fans". That's sometimes the same "fans" that tell us how bad Elvis concerts have been in the 70s...

Anyone with that kind of pressure on him cast the first stone...

8)

desert storm

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:02 am

... HEROIN?!

Are all members of DER CLUB so well informed as you... Back to

the kitchen, lady.

Re: desert storm

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... HEROIN?!

Are all members of DER CLUB so well informed as you... Back to

the kitchen, lady.

Are you joking? The monolog was about him being "strong out on heroin", have you never listened to it? That is what the tabloids wrote. Elvis was hurt by it. Don't discuss something you don't know about is the first rule in my kitchen, he he... now back to your story. Let us in on your version.

So much for knowing what I talked about, bro. Reading first helps a lot there. :wink:

But it's okay. I'm just a little girl in this men's world...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm

Whats the excuse for College Park in Sept '74? He certainly had this rage for a while!

desert storm

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:30 pm

... Have I ever listened to that Baxter release Desert Storm?

Heh, heh, lady, if you only knew... But yes, youre right, raging bull

is mentioning heroin, in his pep talk on stage... No, he wasnt on

heroin... but he did use so many other drugs, just as deadly.

... and just how much do you know about drugs? Its ever so sweet

and naive to defend him, but you should at least have knowledge

on what it can do to you, your behaviour, your speech, your bodily

functions, etc.

Whats for lunch today? Bratwurst...?

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:39 pm

If nothing else, it should have some good pics......
Actually, I'm inclined to cut the guy some slack, at least he is investing alot of his time (and I would pressume, money) on a project, that whilst maybe misguided, at least it is of a positive nature.......
So, if you think it is horseshit, don't buy it....... it is a free market economy after all.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Sadly I know all too well the side-effects of anti-depressants (such as fast and garbled speech) and it is clear that Elvis is under their spell in this concert.
I don't want to white-wash his drug problem, as the author seems to have done in his book, but I just wish people would show a little sympathy for those who fall victim of depression/stress and the other problems that beset Elvis in the 1970s, which were clearly magnified by the incredible position he found himself in.
Have a heart guys - it's not easy to break out of the merry-go-round of prescription drug use when your doctor is suggesting you should take them and sadly for Elvis he was clearly unable to control it.
However, as Ginger has said, I think his drug use may have been exaggerated by those who would have you believe he was constantly comatose for the final years of his life.
rick

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:10 pm

rickeap wrote:Sadly I know all too well the side-effects of anti-depressants (such as fast and garbled speech) and it is clear that Elvis is under their spell in this concert.
I don't want to white-wash his drug problem, as the author seems to have done in his book, but I just wish people would show a little sympathy for those who fall victim of depression/stress and the other problems that beset Elvis in the 1970s, which were clearly magnified by the incredible position he found himself in.
Have a heart guys - it's not easy to break out of the merry-go-round of prescription drug use when your doctor is suggesting you should take them and sadly for Elvis he was clearly unable to control it.
However, as Ginger has said, I think his drug use may have been exaggerated by those who would have you believe he was constantly comatose for the final years of his life.
rick

Sincere words rick, thank you.....unfortunately many here lead such perfect lives they are well positioned to sling sh*t at one of the greatest entertainers of our time.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:18 pm

rickeap wrote:Sadly I know all too well the side-effects of anti-depressants (such as fast and garbled speech) and it is clear that Elvis is under their spell in this concert.
rick

Well said! Don't be discouraged or swayed by the Goldman club and it's infamous leader, they are what they are.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:36 pm

rick

BRAVO......Well said

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:46 pm

Oh, an expert. Sorry, but I don't pray in your direction. I don't know, what you didn't understand, Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff. And your silly remarks towards me are not really impressing anyone. It's rather the opposite. I looked up to people like you. But that behaviour is taking the glamour out of you. Has someone spat on your cheese today? :wink: :lol:

Now we got that out the way, can we just try to talk like we admire Elvis? Or do I have to be sorry, to do so? 8)

I'm proud to be an Elvis fan. So what!
:D

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Just listened to the famous drug dialogue, and couldn't help but laugh..

Just after the words: "I'll pull your tongue out by the roots!"
Elvis gets cheers from the audience and replies rather cool:
"Thank you very much" :wink:

Elvis obviously wanted to be heard, he never gave interviews and this was his way to do it.
It must have been very painful to be called a heroin addict, when you're not.
Elvis hated street drugs, and in '74 he thought he was still in full control.

By '76/'77... he knew he was finished though.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:30 pm

Robert wrote:Just listened to the famous drug dialogue, and couldn't help but laugh..

Just after the words: "I'll pull your tongue out by the roots!"
Elvis gets cheers from the audience and replies rather cool:
"Thank you very much" :wink:

Elvis obviously wanted to be heard, he never gave interviews and this was his way to do it.
It must have been very painful to be called a heroin addict, when you're not.
Elvis hated street drugs, and in '74 he thought he was still in full control.

By '76/'77... he knew he was finished though.

:smt023 :smt038 I rest my case 8)