All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

KISS / Elvis Presley

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:47 pm

Theories like ''whats the use of filming shows'', ''too expensive'', and other bla, bla reasons from joker Parker is bull-s*hit.

Ordered the new ''KISSOLOGY vol.1'' 2DVD(1974-1977) and recieved it this week. It contains so much rare footage and 4 concerts. There's an oppurtunity to buy this with third bonus dvd containing again a concert, wich you can choose from 3 different concerts. Lucky bastards, those KISS fans.

I mean, how in the world is it possible while there is so much pro-filmed footage from a band who began in 1973, while there's so little from a established singer at that time from a guy called Elvis Presley?

Opening Night 69, MSQ, Memphis 1974, Pittburgh 1976, and on and on and on..........in fact, no matter what date.

And the footage that excists, is still unreleased, like it should these days with all this technology/sound. (On Tour, EIC)

For legacy, there should have been more pro-filmed concerts. Unlucky bastards, those Elvis fans.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:02 am

elvis had the video equiment to have his other shows filmed wonder why he never did?

kiss

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:45 am

... why nothing was ever filmed? Simply because Elvis never planned

anything himself, never looked in to the future... There was always enough

money to burn... why worry? He was a superb singer and performer...

but never took control over his artistic carreer. He couldn't care less,

so it seems...?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:06 am

Kiss are in the minority when it came to filming lots of that stuff back then.

But there were still quite a few of Elvis's shows filmed. The 6 for TTWII. 4 for On Tour. 2 aloha shows and on In Concert shows.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:41 am

Yes, but question is though are they complete? And why has it taken over 30 years for any of these complete shows to be released

Re: kiss

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:05 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:He was a superb singer and performer...

but never took control over his artistic carreer. He couldn't care less,

so it seems...?

I'm re-reading Ernst Jorgensen's ultra-classic "A Life In Music" now and as you know Elvis was in COMPLETE control during the '50s! He produced his own records, he picked his own singles, and if he was disappointed with a performance, he kept RCA from releasing it. In short, he was the boss. The damn kid did everything right! What a little genius...

Also, if everyone here read this book, there would be fewer "Tom Parker ruined Elvis' career!" posts. He did not. When Elvis really cared about his music, he did exactly what he wanted to do. Parker didn't interfere with the music. (Except for when he kicked Leiber & Stoller out of the picture... :wink: ) Parker trusted and supported Elvis. Elvis was the boss. Which was cool until he started to loose interest in his music and is career.

Elvis did change after a couple of years. He didn't care as much about his music as he used to. But to be fair, that happens to most artists.

But again you can't blame Elvis' decline on Mr. Parker. If Elvis had said to Parker in the '60s that he wanted to record an album of Bob Dylan songs, it's not like Mr. Parker would have stopped him.

Keith Richards, Jr.

kiss

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:24 am

... he didnt know what his next movie would be about, what his

next record release would be, when his next tour would take place...

... "Ask the Colonel..."

Yes, he was in control in the recording studio... but hardly ever

came prepared...

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:11 pm

ritchie valens wrote:elvis had the video equiment to have his other shows filmed wonder why he never did?

He depended way to much on that talentless manager of his, that's why, a gifted conman who could care less about his client's artistic credibility, and who wanted total control. Elvis is the only artist that could have survived under the Colonel's helm because of his talent and genius, anybody else would have been ruined.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:41 pm

It's no question that Parker lacked any artistic vision for his boy.However I think Elvis is the one who waved the white flag and gave up.How many times did Elvis try to actually get involved with the creative descions being made?Unfortunately I think Elvis stopped growing as an artist and must have became satisfied with the way things were.I think any artist that has a passion for what they are doing would not sit idly by and just watch their manager run the whole show.
Jak

kiss/elvis

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:06 pm

... damn frikkin' right, Jak!

Its so easy to take the pizz out on his manager, for all the wrong

doings in Elvis' carreer... He could have made a world tour... he

could have talked to some big Hollywood producers... he could

have sat down with other greats, from the 70s, and record a

different/ brilliant album.... he could have done a lot o'things.

... But he didn't. Manager or no manager! He just didnt have an

artistic view on his carreer... and he lacked b*lls.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:14 pm

jak wrote:It's no question that Parker lacked any artistic vision for his boy.However I think Elvis is the one who waved the white flag and gave up.How many times did Elvis try to actually get involved with the creative descions being made?Unfortunately I think Elvis stopped growing as an artist and must have became satisfied with the way things were.I think any artist that has a passion for what they are doing would not sit idly by and just watch their manager run the whole show.
Jak

You make some good points Jak. Who is to say that had he lived, that he wouldn't have recaptured his creative hunger. You hear about artists taking long breaks from the studio, from touring, just to recharge their batteries so to speak. After 1975 our guy needed and deserved some significant time off, and I don't mean three months, perhaps a year or two. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

Re: kiss/elvis

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... damn frikkin' right, Jak!

Its so easy to take the pizz out on his manager, for all the wrong

doings in Elvis' carreer... He could have made a world tour... he

could have talked to some big Hollywood producers... he could

have sat down with other greats, from the 70s, and record a

different/ brilliant album.... he could have done a lot o'things.

... But he didn't. Manager or no manager! He just didnt have an

artistic view on his carreer... and he lacked b*lls.

Where did you come from?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm

I have serious doubts that Elvis could have pulled himself out of his downward slide but it's a mute point.Looking back at his career and how he handled it is very interesting.It's well known that in his early hungry days at RCA Elvis was in total control of his recording sessions and strived to achieve what he wanted.On how many other occassions can we say this?He gave an awe inspiring performance for the 68 special but he doesnt get credit for the concept does he?Does the same reasoning apply to the Memphis sessions?I guess Im wondering can we point to a great moment and say that was Elvis' baby from start to finish?Seems like Elvis waited for things to happen rather than make them happen on his terms.
Jak

kiss/ elvis

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:38 pm

... where do I come from, Joe? Its the planet Reality. But I doubt

you know where to find it...

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Joe Car wrote:He depended way to much on that talentless manager of his, that's why, a gifted conman who could care less about his client's artistic credibility, and who wanted total control.

That ain't true, man. In the 50's Elvis ran the show in the studio. He decided what to record and what to release. Tom Parker let his boy decide just about everything, he didn't want total control at all. Parker's role was to promote the hell out of the stuff Elvis recorded.

Again, Elvis was the boss. And if Elvis wanted something from RCA, Colonel Parker made sure he got it. Parker was a brilliant manager in the early days. He took care of his boy. And this relationship worked very well until Elvis became disinterested with his career and started to take the easy way out. Elvis probably needed some new friends and advisors, to boost his passion for recording and making albums again. But that wasn't Parker's role and so we shouldn't blame him for that. Parker didn't stop him from recording good songs.

I think there was a genuine affection between Elvis and Parker in the early days. Parker was not The Devil.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: kiss/ elvis

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... where do I come from, Joe? Its the planet Reality. But I doubt
you know where to find it...

Hindsight is always 20/20... shoulda woulda coulda... wasn't it you that quite enjoyed the December '76 concerts... but then later on in years changed your mind about them?

It does make one wonder why you would waste your time on someone that you obviously have such little respect for? Elvis was not perfect... that is well documented... but to say he had no balls is... :roll:

Oh yes.... you have contributed so much to the Elvis legend by your photo books... I amost forgot there for a minute... because you forgot to mention it, and try to act like your the big daddy of the messagboard/elvis world :roll:

JEFF d
EAP fan

kiss/ elvis

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:19 pm

... grow up, Jeff.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:37 pm

jak wrote:I guess Im wondering can we point to a great moment and say that was Elvis' baby from start to finish?

How Great Thou Art fits to that description.

I would also name the Jungle Room sessions. At least in the studio, he quit being the guys' rock'n'roll star, he quit being the girls' troubadour, and recorded almost exclusively songs that touched him. (I once read a quote from the 50s, where he says that Don't is his favourite, but that people expect him to do rock songs.)

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Kuenzer wrote:
jak wrote:I guess Im wondering can we point to a great moment and say that was Elvis' baby from start to finish?

How Great Thou Art fits to that description.

I would also name the Jungle Room sessions. At least in the studio, he quit being the guys' rock'n'roll star, he quit being the girls' troubadour, and recorded almost exclusively songs that touched him. (I once read a quote from the 50s, where he says that Don't is his favourite, but that people expect him to do rock songs.)

Elvis cut some great tracks but I cant call that session a truly great moment in his career.He was only there because he was to lazy to record properly in the studio which is a sad statement in its own right.
Jak

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:52 pm

What are you talking about????????

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:55 pm

sid wrote:What are you talking about????????

The only reason Elvis recorded in the jungle room was that he was to lazy to go into the studio.RCA had to bring their equipment to him to try and get material out of Elvis.
Jak

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:05 pm

Sorry Jak but I think you are on a piss taking mission today, and quite frankly I think Elvis has enough ''non fans'' doing that for him already. Now if you want a debate on a concert you think he sounded awful on.........I will give you a run for your money..........but not something like that

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:12 pm

sid wrote:Sorry Jak but I think you are on a piss taking mission today, and quite frankly I think Elvis has enough ''non fans'' doing that for him already. Now if you want a debate on a concert you think he sounded awful on.........I will give you a run for your money..........but not something like that

If the Jungle Room sessions are a pinnacle in Elvis' career for you then more power to you.You must be upset at the reason I gave for Elvis recording at Graceland.You do know that's true dont you?
Jak

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:25 pm

In my fantasy world Jak I would like to think they came about because of an informal jam session............am I wrong???

kiss/elvis

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:31 pm

... sorry, Sid, but its the truth. RCA had to move the recording

equipment to Graceland, simply because he didnt wanna leave

his house to do a proper studio recording... and no, he didn't have

the flu, he had much more serious problems...