All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis' wedding ring for sale

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:31 am

Presley's wedding band to be auctioned
14th November 2006, 21:38 WST

Elvis Presley's diamond and platinum wedding band from his marriage to Priscilla will be sold at an auction of Hollywood memorabilia.

The auction of more than $US2 million worth of memorabilia will be held on December 14 and 15 in Beverly Hills, California.

"The marriage of Elvis and Priscilla Presley was the most significant wedding of the 20th century," said Joseph Maddalena, an owner of Profiles In History, a world-renowned live internet auction company which will host the auction next month.

"There was Charles and Diana and, of course, Paul and Heather. But there was only one Elvis Presley.

"This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a piece of pop culture history."

Elvis' famous wedding band is decorated with eight baguette-cut diamonds within a border of 16 full-cut diamonds, which is expected to be sold for between $US100,000 to $US150,000.

The King of Rock and Roll wore the band at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas on May 1, 1967, when he wed Priscilla.

Other auction items include James Dean's switchblade featured in the well-known knife fight in Rebel Without a Cause, and Jerry Lewis's Dr Julius Kelp costume from the 1963 classic comedy 'The Nutty Professor.

Additional information about the auction can be obtained from the company's web site http://www.profilesinhistory.com.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:14 am

carolynlm wrote:Is this the wedding ring that was lost at the Circle G or was that Priscilla's.....
In any case, if it wasn't lost, how did it end up in collectors hands.....?

This smells like a fraud. Yes, it was Elvis' ring that was reportedly lost at Circle G. You don't suppose someone is claiming it was found by . . . three guesses. Nah, the auction company wouldn't be that dumb, would they?

Hey, I did get an auction company earlier this year - or was it last year? - to yank several tickets to a Cincinnati "Elvis" concert, on the grounds that (1) There was no such concert in Cincinnati or anywhere else on the date printed on the tickets. and (2) All three tickets had the same EXACT seat and row number!

Someone should investigate this.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:51 pm

I wondered what PL was doing with that Metal detector :lol:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:48 pm

PL? :roll:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:50 pm

sid wrote:PL? :roll:

Not my first thought but not a bad guess, not bad at all.

Glad to see you guys have a sense of humor. Er, maybe it wasn't meant to be humorous.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:52 pm

No i am not saying its PL I am asking who is PL?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:01 pm

sid wrote:No i am not saying its PL I am asking who is PL?

Oh, sorry. Paul Lichter.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:01 pm

sid wrote:No i am not saying its PL I am asking who is PL?

Paul Lichter

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 pm

Memphis Flash wrote:
sid wrote:PL? :roll:

Not my first thought but not a bad guess, not bad at all.

Glad to see you guys have a sense of humor. Er, maybe it wasn't meant to be humorous.

On advice from my attorney I say - it was humorous!! :lol:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:16 pm

I don't ever remember seeing his wedding band at Graceland... does anyone else? I was thinking maybe he had given it away after the divorce... and now whomever is selling it.

Kinda surprised me that this wouldn't be in the Graceland archives nontheless.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:22 pm

JEFF d wrote:I don't ever remember seeing his wedding band at Graceland... does anyone else? I was thinking maybe he had given it away after the divorce... and now whomever is selling it.

Kinda surprised me that this wouldn't be in the Graceland archives nontheless.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Jeff, Elvis lost his wedding band at the Circle G...........that's why it's not in the archives.

That's also why it's likely NOT in this auction.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:31 pm

"On the advice of my attorney...."

That was pretty funny!

I'll tell you a real story that shows how clever Paul is. Some friends in the collectibles business bought some Elvis photos from Wild in the Country and wanted to write a book about the making of the film.... we interviewed Director Philip Dunne at his house, Hope Lange at an L.A. Airport lounge, and I talked by phone to John Ireland (who said Elvis remained in character all day [wtf? what about the pranks?] and compared his acting to Sean Penn (which was supposed to be a compliment).

Anyway, they wanted to use more of MGM's photos but MGM wanted $500 for every photo they used.

Forget now why we happened to be talking to Paul by phone, but I'll never forget his advice: He said that he never bothered getting permission to use any photos but in the Foreword he would write, "I would like to thank the following for their courtesy and cooperation in the production of this book" - and then just list every studio! He said he never got into any trouble. If anyone at a studio bothered to look at his book, they probably thought someone else at the studio had approved it.

At least that's what I dreamed. On the advice of my attorney, that is not a real story.

Didn't know when we interviewed Hope Lange that she had dated Elvis. Joe Esposito told me that when I told him we had interviewed her. She told us Elvis was homesick for southern food so she cooked him okra and grits. She had never cooked either before.

And she remarked how afraid Elvis was for his life: "Why he kept a gun in the glove compartment!" I broke the news to her that Elvis liked guns his whole life.

Also, she had disliked Elvis so much before she met him that she nearly went on suspension rather than do the movie with him. "I am a serious actress!" she said. But the Director, Philip Dunne, assured her that Elvis was a fine and serious actor too and convinced her to take the part. So she did.

She commented that when Elvis performed he seemed to just toss off moves. But she watched him practice them again and again and again. So what seemed tossed off was actually a product of a lot of hard work. She admired that very much.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:42 pm

WHO ARE YOU????

Show yourself LOL :shock: :shock:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:47 pm

sid wrote:WHO ARE YOU????

Show yourself LOL :shock: :shock:

WTF kind of question is that?

Dammit, man, you could at least be polite.

Right?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:53 pm

I am being polite honest
Sorry you took offence. Its obvious by your posts you are someone who has lots to tell and I want to know everything there is about Elvis.......that's all.

It was meant as a joke sorry to offend...............and make it LADY :(

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:02 pm

sid wrote:I am being polite honest
Sorry you took offence. Its obvious by your posts you are someone who has lots to tell and I want to know everything there is about Elvis.......that's all.

It was meant as a joke sorry to offend...............and make it LADY :(

You're a lady? Great, so am I. And no offense, I was joking too.

Actually I don't have all that much to tell. As I like to say, my Elvis knowledge is a mile wide and an inch deep. But I bumped into a bunch of insiders, nearly all by accident or through friends, and not until after Elvis had already been dead 10 years.

Hey, I'll PM you tomorrow, okay? In case PL or his attorney is scanning this board, I want to lay low. Just kidding... maybe.

Where are you from? (As Ann-Margret said to me when I met her.) She's a lovely lady, by the way, so much in common with Elvis.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 pm

Good that's cleared that up

Yes you can PM me then I can tell you where I am from.......i am laying low too :wink:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:59 pm

Memphis Flash wrote: She told us Elvis was homesick for southern food so she cooked him okra and grits.

Yuk!!!

Nice story. In fact one of the "nicest" stories I have ever heard about Mr L. :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:15 pm

jak wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:
Memphis Flash wrote: She told us Elvis was homesick for southern food so she cooked him okra and grits.

Yuk!!!

Nice story. In fact one of the "nicest" stories I have ever heard about Mr L. :lol: :lol:

You dont know what youre missing!!Fine southern cuisine.

Tried grits once in Memphis - "nearly threw up".

and Okra? :smt078

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:27 pm

Okra is fine if it's mixed in gumbo - heck, can't even taste it then but the little pods always look interesting - but grits is the main thing I remember Hope Lange saying she cooked for Elvis. He missed grits.

Those are easy to get anywhere, aren't they? And taste kind of bland unless you put butter on them.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:08 pm

jak wrote:It's very hard to find grits or okra unless youre in the south.It's a regional thing.Just like brewed sweet tea.

Agree with you about okra, but we've had grits at different restaurants in southern California that were just regular restaurants, not southern or anything. I'll have to start looking at breakfast menus and see if they are still available.

I gotta say, though. Elvis had cooks that could make shoe leather taste good. We have had meals in Memphis and L.A. in Mary Jenkins' and Alvena Roy's own homes, and that was some of the best food I have ever had anywhere. I don't even remember what it was, although it was a lot of different dishes, but everything just tasted so good. It's a wonder Elvis didn't weigh 300 pounds.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:05 am

Has anyone figured out who is actually selling it, and what the story is they are giving to go along with it?

Seems like an odd item one would just find on the ground so to speak... but I guess its possible. :?

JEFF d
EAP fan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:18 am

JEFF d wrote:Has anyone figured out who is actually selling it, and what the story is they are giving to go along with it?

Seems like an odd item one would just find on the ground so to speak... but I guess its possible. :?

JEFF d
EAP fan

Okay, Marty Lacker has weighed in and here is what he wrote on AEK:

Those of us on the ranch the day he lost it knew he did it on purpose
because he didn't want to wear it.

We looked for it for awhile but that was a big ranch and he really didn't
want us to find it, we did it for show because Priscilla was there.

Supposedly, according to David Stanley, Elvis years later gave her the ring when
she and David were either going to be or were married.

Whether it's the real thing or not, I have no idea but I doubt it.

Marty

So I am not going to worry further about it. May the purchaser enjoy their ring.
Last edited by Memphis Flash on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:46 am

Yea, the whole thing rings bogus as hell... still I would like to hear the story of how the ring was found when they were mowing or something! Talk about hitting the jackpot... I could use a good laugh too. :lol:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:27 pm

JEFF d wrote:Yea, the whole thing rings bogus as hell... still I would like to hear the story of how the ring was found when they were mowing or something! Talk about hitting the jackpot... I could use a good laugh too. :lol:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Jeff, evidently the lost-in-the-grass story was a cover for Elvis not wanting to wear the wedding ring. Marty Lacker explained the situation on AEK - see my post above - and says that while the guys spent some time looking for it, they realized Elvis did not want it found, so just went through the motions.

Some time later, David Stanley reported that Elvis had given the ring to him and his wife Angie during a difficult time in their marriage, and Marty related that Angie later sold the ring to Jimmy Velvet for $10,000. Jimmy Velvet resold the ring to someone else for $40,000.

Now I do remember David writing about that in one of his books. However, since I have personally witnessed David telling audiences that he "discovered" Elvis' dead body - among other untruths - his word by itself is not enough for me. But the story does sound like something Elvis might do, and I am inclined to believe it.

That said, I don't know that I'd want it - the symbol of a man forced into marriage who didn't even want to wear the ring, hid it in his jewelry box for years and then gave it to another badly-matched couple who also ended up divorced. To some collector, however, the ring's checkered history might just add to its appeal. It's certainly a unique item and should command a pretty good price.