All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Since Cincinatti

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:19 am

Anybody know when this is due out? The original release was one of the first cd imports i purchased and the sound is fantastic for an audience recording. Its reported that the sound has been upgraded but dont know what else they can do with it to achieve this.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:30 am

I agree with you Kelvin, why improve the sound when really it's not needed, but hopefully they will get round to fixing some of the worst sounding releases that are around.

As for the release of this one, I dont know the date but hopefully it will be soon
:D

Re: Since Cincinatti

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:06 am

Kelvin wrote:Anybody know when this is due out? The original release was one of the first cd imports i purchased and the sound is fantastic for an audience recording. Its reported that the sound has been upgraded but dont know what else they can do with it to achieve this.

I will be very surprised if the sound is improved much - this is definitely one of the absolute best audience recordings already.

Damn shame the tape turn came in the middle of Unchained melody, but hey, you can't have everything!!!

I hear that this one will escape in about 2 weeks time.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:11 am

Well this is the same story like "upgrading sound" of - lets say HEATBREAK HOTEL. Anyone can say: hell WHY to improve the sound of it, my 1956 vinyl sound already very good :-).

But - you can improve the sound EVERYTIME if you know what you are doing. The change can be small, but still noticeable and if it is BETTER result, then why to complain? Personaly, I like releases with improved sound, when these old CDs are eventually re-released... POWER OF ZHAZAM vs. ONE NIGHT ONLY, Elvis 50s Masters box vs. the same tracks restored by Kevan Budd etc...

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:26 am

deadringer wrote:Well this is the same story like "upgrading sound" of - lets say HEATBREAK HOTEL. Anyone can say: hell WHY to improve the sound of it, my 1956 vinyl sound already very good :-).

But - you can improve the sound EVERYTIME if you know what you are doing. The change can be small, but still noticeable and if it is BETTER result, then why to complain? Personaly, I like releases with improved sound, when these old CDs are eventually re-released... POWER OF ZHAZAM vs. ONE NIGHT ONLY, Elvis 50s Masters box vs. the same tracks restored by Kevan Budd etc...

Power of Zhazam -> One Night Only - well that is the only one I would say that the improvement has been phenomenal. But I think that is because Zhazam was sh#t sound to start with.

Other recent boot upgrades have been tweaking at the margins IMO in terms of sound. The Fort baxter Classics have been notable much more for the booklets than any quantum leap in aural pleasure!!

If something on the scale of Zhazam -> ONO can be done with Since Cincinatti I will be AMAZED :shock: Especially as it is an excellent audience recording!!

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:33 am

And when does anyone ever hear that...? :lol:

They usually get a bad rap from people who need to put down their "Audiphiliac" ears...

I welcome this re-release!

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:33 am

BIGREDG wrote:
deadringer wrote:Well this is the same story like "upgrading sound" of - lets say HEATBREAK HOTEL. Anyone can say: hell WHY to improve the sound of it, my 1956 vinyl sound already very good :-).

Power of Zhazam -> One Night Only - well that is the only one I would say that the improvement has been phenomenal. But I think that is because Zhazam was sh#t sound to start with.

Other recent boot upgrades have been tweaking at the margins IMO in terms of sound. The Fort baxter Classics have been notable much more for the booklets than any quantum leap in aural pleasure!!

If something on the scale of Zhazam -> ONO can be done with Since Cincinatti I will be AMAZED :shock: Especially as it is an excellent audience recording!!

Its still a big question to me how you can improve something that was recorded from the audience. If the new ''Since'' is indeed better, it must be a other source. Wich is unlikely, the old ''Since'' is already that good for a AR.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:49 pm

Its still a big question to me how you can improve something that was recorded from the audience.

?????????????

You can do the noise reduction, you can equalise the recording to get completely different sound picture, you can enhance the vocals or some instruments bz compressors, you can erase any clicks or dropouts, simply you can work with the sound just like with studio tapes or soundboards.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:33 pm

re-releases, re-releases, re-releases....pffffff....

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:54 pm

deadringer wrote:Its still a big question to me how you can improve something that was recorded from the audience.

?????????????

You can do the noise reduction, you can equalise the recording to get completely different sound picture, you can enhance the vocals or some instruments bz compressors, you can erase any clicks or dropouts, simply you can work with the sound just like with studio tapes or soundboards.

I look forward to hearing the results!!

One Night Only was a better tape source rather than Remasterinbg work right??

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Only taking out excess echo can dramatic results be obtained from that source.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Ton Bruins, are you complaining about millions of BMG re-releases too?

BigRed: me too...

JLGB: well I agree, there is a lot of echo on this recording, sound is a bit muddy... too litle of heights...

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:48 pm

Yes, I do sometimes. Is that a huge problem ?....lol. Just my opinion.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:54 pm

No problem... but usually I am not complaining, IF the re-release can offer me something new, I mean added value, better sound etc...

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:59 pm

I all ready have this show since the early 90's. And I don't believe in a better sound while this is an audience recording. Besides we see many re-releases like this...better sound, better cover, well how about something new ?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:42 pm

Let's all learn to spell the town correctly. Cincinnati is the correct spelling. They finally have it right on the re-release.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:55 pm

Such perfectionists out there! Im excused cause i took the spelling from the original release. :lol:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:19 pm

Rob wrote:Let's all learn to spell the town correctly. Cincinnati is the correct spelling. They finally have it right on the re-release.

Look's like Cincinn80 with one t.

Damn Americans can't spell anything right!!! :lol: :wink:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:27 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:I all ready have this show since the early 90's. And I don't believe in a better sound while this is an audience recording. Besides we see many re-releases like this...better sound, better cover, well how about something new ?

DITTO :D

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Bigred: well now this I call THE UPGRADE, correct town - CINCINNATI 8)

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:25 am

deadringer wrote:Ton Bruins, are you complaining about millions of BMG re-releases too?

Ton Bruins wrote:Yes, I do sometimes. Is that a huge problem ?....lol. Just my opinion.

Ton Bruins wrote:I all ready have this show since the early 90's. And I don't believe in a better sound while this is an audience recording. Besides we see many re-releases like this...better sound, better cover, well how about something new ?

Ton, from your crankiness about the new "Fit for a King" FTD to your complaints here, I really wonder how many more avenues you think their are to explore? The can is getting empty, be it official RCA/BMG/Sony outtakes or new, unreleased import recordings.

You don't have to believe there is better sound, but there is. Just as surely as the Steve Hoffman or Japanese or FTD releases often "tweak" the sound of familiar recordings, there is always slight improvements to make. Not every can hear it or care to, but as Deadringer points out, it's not a lie. And the packages are being upgraded, big time.

I don't blame anyone who already paid good money for sitting out such upgrades but on the other hand, why not applaud any effort to add value to existing recordings, etc.? Not every cares about improved audio, but surely more fans might enjoy these sets if they missed them, no? And more than a few have been wowed by the deluxe packaging.

He's gone since 1977. That's some almost 30 years since he last had magnetic tape record his voice. There's nothing more coming so let's not beat up on those who reissue and upgrade existing sets.

Since Cincinnati

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:59 am

Gregory Nolan wrote
He's gone since 1977. That's some almost 30 years since he last had magnetic tape record his voice. There's nothing more coming so let's not beat up on those who reissue and upgrade existing sets.

Well said Greg, my thoughts exactly. After all, no one's forcing anyone to purchase an upgrade. Indeed we should be grateful that effort has gone into any improvement of the source material available. Long may it continue!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:05 am

It's been a while since the first boots came out.
There's a new generation of fans who are also interested in stuff like this,
and don't have the original releases...

I do have the original Cincinatti boot, and will only get it if the sound is improved as promised..

Cheers, RJ

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:33 am

Robert wrote:It's been a while since the first boots came out.
There's a new generation of fans who are also interested in stuff like this,
and don't have the original releases...

Very true. I am not interested in this particular release, but I've bought all three releases in the Fort Baxter Classic Series. I didn't care about Elvis when the original Profile releases came out. There are still a few shows from the past I don't have yet ("Just Pretend", "Walk a Mile In My Shoes", etc) but I am gonna wait until someone - hi, Mr. Baxter! - re-releases them with better sound and artwork.

A straight re-print of "Hello Memphis!" would be cool, too. That is a beautiful cover and a CD I would like to own, but I've only seen it once and it was just too gotdamn expensive! Seems to me like that CD only exists in a very limited edition. :wink:

You can find CD-R copies with "original artwork" for 10 bucks but I refuse to deal with that sh*t. I want original CD's only. And I don't want to support people who get rich by ripping off other people's work. :twisted:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Re: Since Cincinnati

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:32 am

Mike S wrote:no one's forcing anyone to purchase an upgrade.

You're right.

The last I heard, the purchase of an upgraded CD is still optional. If there is indeed an improvement, I'm all for it. The original CD of this show is supposed to be one of the hardest imports to get your hands on (I've had it for years though). For those who may have missed it the first time 'round, here is another chance for you.

You'll have to get in line behind me though.