All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:53 am

maybe they found a better tape, the old one is 23 years old

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:57 am

elvis_king wrote:maybe they found a better tape, the old one is 23 years old

I thought any tape of this show would have to be 42 yrs old. ???

:?

Strange.....

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:12 pm

Hi,

I find it a strange coincidence that Ernst mentions that a 'New Unreleased - Unheard song' will be released next year.......and in the next statement from FTD we get the 'Benefit Performance' re-release......makes you wonder how the two are tied together.....

Over to you Doc.......by the way always enjoy your posts Mr Carpenter, are you sure you are not Ernst or Roger ?

Regards

e.

Re: Strange.....

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:17 pm

e. (Sheffield Uk) wrote:.......by the way always enjoy your posts Mr Carpenter, are you sure you are not Ernst or Roger ?

If he is Ernst or Roger, my appologies to him as I respect them immensely. :wink:

:lol:

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:00 pm

The Doc mentioned meetings with Joan Deary (spelling??) in the eighties, concerning future Elvis projects. Is this a clue?

The mystery grows!

HAWAII '61 SHOW MYSTERY!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:17 pm

If this show IS to be relased again on the FTD label, and it is not in improved sound, BMG could kill future sales of the "Silver" box set, as most of the rest of the stuff on there is available elsewhere now.
Also, I thought the idea of the collectors' label was to showcase previously unheard / unreleased material for the collectors? All collectors should already have the Hawaii '61 show!
TONY DOBB

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:23 pm

e -

To suggest that the Doc is Roger or Ernst is a rather savage thing to say isn't it ?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:09 pm

A quick point -

If Ernst happened to find a "better" tape of this concert - wouldn't Ernst/BMG want to re-release this on a future boxset or single release to the public - since it's such a good show?

It could be because the new tape is an "improvement" - but still not good enough to re-release again on a future boxset (?)

We'll have to wait for more info from Ernst, I guess.

Rich

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:13 pm

Carpenter has never even been near these two gentlemen. As for Deary, all he claims that he sent her some letters... Well, most of us have I think.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:16 pm

I'm sure I remeber he talked of meeting with Joan Deary. Although, yes I agree I think most of us have written to various RCA/BMG people in our time.

I'd write now, but I've run out of green ink! :wink:

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:43 pm

obviously this 1980 release will sound better if bmg is using modern
digital mastering but it is the same for anything from 1980 or beyond !

and guess what ? the very same show will sound better in ..... 2026 !!!!

we have to face that the original recording was very very poor and there is not much to expect

in the other hand there are other recordings with room for improvement
( the memphis 74 show )

I am not discussing about the historic value or the music value
but talking of the listening value and the "honest consumer point of view"

if it is a real new source I am in !
if not it is the endless rererereleasing story of rca bmg and may be now ftd ?

they stated that they have to release the deleted soundtracks on ftd

but who deleted the doublefeatures soundtracks ?
BMG of course to get the oportunity of a rerelease them
( same original producer named ernst jorgensen )

the doublefeatures are not so rare and easy foundable on second hand market or even new at cheap prices !

the small fistfull of new outakes could be fit on one cd ( silverscreen stereo the revenche ! ) instead of three

I fully support FTD and own nearly all the releases but I notice a slight
change in the policy with more previously released tracks (sometimes even previously on FTD ! )

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:05 pm

Likethebike even explains he's not making a criticism and yet Albert can not resist getting one more shot in.

Do you think it's possible for you guys not get in a pissy defensive mood everytime someone expresses something other than the way you see it?

I didn't take likethebike's comment as criticism, even Ernst has said many times there are harsh realities as to the limits of what can be released.

Would I like to see the '61 show reissued? If it is upgraded in ANY way, I'd love to get this, it's an amazing and unique show. But if improvements/additions are minimal as they may be, it could well be a sign that the well is running dry.

Which is not a complaint by the way.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:07 pm

Well this is weird, the likethebike, kylan and albert posts I was responding to seem to have vanished. I'm not going nuts, am I?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:18 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:A quick point -

If Ernst happened to find a "better" tape of this concert - wouldn't Ernst/BMG want to re-release this on a future boxset or single release to the public - since it's such a good show?

It could be because the new tape is an "improvement" - but still not good enough to re-release again on a future boxset (?)

We'll have to wait for more info from Ernst, I guess.

Rich

Good point Rich,

You would think that an improved version of the 1961 Hawaii show would be showcased on a future BMG Heritage release, but if it is issued through FTD, it will not be the first time that material suitable for a wider audience has been issued through the collectors label. Maybe the fact that BMG have issued the concert before is influencing their decision here.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:44 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Carpenter has never even been near these two gentlemen. As for Deary, all he claims that he sent her some letters...

One wonders why you felt compelled to respond, as you are mistaken on both counts.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:56 pm

One wonders why you don't bother to react when people think you're Jørgensen or Semon - and we both know that you're not - but still feels compelled to react to my posting. One gets the impression that you are a narcissistic egomaniac.
Now, doc.... please tell us more about all your meetings with Deary, Jørgensen and Semon. This should make for an interesting posting! :wink:

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:17 am

speaking of live shows i wonder if you r'e lonesome tonight? i'm only kidding. i'd like to know if anymore shows from 54-57 exist still unreleased?
sharif hanna have anything not released besides little mama which has yet to get released will we ever hear it?

:?:

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:33 am

It is not beyond comprehension that some 1957 shows survive, although they may not be in very good quality.

Snippets of the Empire Stadium gig in Vancouver on August 31, 1957 were issued on a 1976 import LP called Got A Lot O' Livin' To Do. There's been virtually nothing since.

Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:19 am

sam wrote:
elvis_king wrote:maybe they found a better tape, the old one is 23 years old

I thought any tape of this show would have to be 42 yrs old. ???

:?

maybe the originaltape is 42 and the one they use to silverboxset is younger ??

Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:44 am

I have the import of this show and the previous BMG release of it.
Unless it is in much better quality (new source) I can think of other releases I'd much prefer.

8)

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:33 pm

Excellent, excellent concert, maybe even the best ever! Hopefully Ernst has been able to clean up the original tape. I got faith in you Ernst! Can't wait to see.............
JEFF d
EPFAN