All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

hawaii benefit 1961 to be released on FTD....why?

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:39 pm

new source???

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:00 pm

I would imagine it would be to take advantage of digital editing and all that follows which did not exist when the "silver" album appeared.

I am willing to wager that the all the TV 50's tracks will accorded an upgrade treatment for the 2006 box.

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:03 pm

Maybe the well is running dry and Jorgensen is trying to spread things out as much as he can. It's interesting that, in recent months, an audience recording and three soundtracks of mostly previously released material have been major FTD projects.

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:14 pm

Ahh here we go again with the nails grating the chalkboard. Hey Mr Bike, the audience recording u allude to is the famed Pittsburgh concert that nearly everybody and their mama was whining and bitching begging for it to be released, then when it was, people didnt like it. how unusual! And the FTD soundtracks were bonuses above the usual releases, the well isnt running dry, get a grip please!

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:59 pm

Ernst and BMG are quite entitled to put this show out on the FTD label if they wish to do so. If they have found a new source tape, or managed to improve on the sound of the 1980 release, this will be a welcome bonus for the fans that have everything. If this is not the case, lets not forget that there are new fans discovering Elvis’ music all the time, and some of these recordings are becoming extremely difficult to track down.

The March 25, 1961 benefit concert is an essential live Presley recording, and should remain available for those that wish to buy it. As Kylan points out the movie soundtrack albums were extra releases, and didn’t jeopardise the steady flow of previously unissued material from the FTD label. If you are happy with your Double Features CD’s or your existing recording of the 1961 benefit show, you don’t need to buy these releases, but I don’t think it is fair to knock BMG for making them available when we already get so much new material through both the mainstream label and FTD, from an artist who hasn’t been with us for the last 26 years.

When I started collecting Elvis albums, many titles were deleted, and a number of others were only available on import, and this made building a decent collection a somewhat difficult task. Ernst and BMG are now catering to the needs of the fans both old and new, and in my opinion this should be commended, not criticised.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:28 am

Count me in!

I'm looking forward to the TV shows and to perhaps a lesser extent the "61 concert in improved sound.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:38 am

Is this "true" or just a joke? If it's true: GREAT!!! I always stated that this is one of Elvis' best concerts ever and people looked at me and said: "Are You allright??!" I stick to it! Just like rockinrebel said this is an essential recording. On the one hand Elvis wouldn't perform live in the 1960ies until his return to live performing eight years later. On the other he also hadn't performed live for four years.

This concert not only features a great tracklisting and some of the finest musicians around at the time but also an outstanding performance by Elvis. He's absolutely at ease, relaxed, prepared to face the audience and in fact enjoying it! This is probably the only time the interested listeners gets to hear and feel the excitement of an Elvis concert years before the - sorry to say it, I hate it myself - "Vegas-Elvis" of 1969/70. If FTD should be able to release a version of this concert that is superior to the one feat. on the Silver Boxset (and I'm sure they are) this would be wonderful, great, amzing, outstanding ...!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:39 am

Count me in as well. I do not have this release and would love if FTD would release it. :D

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:29 am

Should this historic concert be released somehow in superior sound, compared to its earlier release (mediocre sound), it would only enhance
its stature as one of Elvis' very greatest live documents. This concert gave an indication how Elvis would have evolved had he not stopped making live appearances in the 60s.

It was an interesting time period. Somewhere between the adventurous, raw performer of the early days and the more polished and experienced entertainer of the later years. The set material also benefitted from Elvis' great 1960 session, while old war horses were revisited with panache.

Would it be too far-fetched to hope for some kind of superior prof. recorded tape? Well...any improvement would be welcomed and cause for celebration..

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:34 am

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention properly, but just where does this 'news' come from ?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:41 am

I'm sure FTD will make a very nice presentation booklet illustrated with photos, tickets and adverts, etc.

Remember how the 1980 Silver box simply called it:
AN EARLY BENEFIT PERFORMANCE
How generic can you get.

This time, this will be the definitive product for this concert. I look forward to it.

I played a portion of this show for a male cousin (who's into bands like Sublime) and he was very impressed with Elvis' vocals, the band, the sax, the screaming crowd. "And," I added, "this was four years before the Beatles ever came along."
He said, "Dude, Elvis rocks."

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:08 am

Just like ColinB asked: From where does these "news" come? Have I completely missed out on somtehing that I really should have noticed? :?:

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:02 am

The news is on (deleted - see guidelines #9) site.

8)

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:04 am

:oops: Now that's not what I typed.... :lol:

:shock:

Elvis Aron Presley

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:28 am

It might be worth mentioning that the Elvis Aron Presley "Silver" box set is out of print, too. Which is a shame, because it's a great compiliation of tracks.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:58 am

I would be curious to see just how well RCA could improve the sound on this recording. After seeing how they did w/ improving the Pittsburgh 76 show, I, myself, am skeptical.

However, it would be an awesome tret for all of us fans if they could actually "improve" the sound, or obtain the show from a better source.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:55 am

Among other things, these are the reasons I hope Ernst and Roger have slotted an FTD release of the 25 March 1961 Honolulu gig:

1) improved, complete source tape
2) unissued color photos from the show
3) "bonus" tracks, like the pre-show press conference ... or other 1961 live cuts

God bless!

Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:55 am

You know guys
it would be nice to see if the other show from that 61 hawaii show
i think he did two shows, that day.

Curtis Simpkins

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:08 am

Not possible -- it's <u>two</u> 1961 shows in <u>Memphis</u>, one in Honolulu.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:22 am

Scotty Moore's set list lists "Doin The Best I Can". I wonder if Elvis played this, and if so...does RCA now have a tape that includes it? It will be an interesting release to look forward to.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:47 am

Honolulu, 1961 - unpublished pics would be most welcome ..........

(Perhaps EPE does have some, compliments of "The Col.'s Collection" ........)

N8
... just a fan ....

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:51 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Scotty Moore's set list lists "Doin The Best I Can". I wonder if Elvis played this, and if so...does RCA now have a tape that includes it? It will be an interesting release to look forward to.

Not likely for the Hawaiian Benefit -- that set list was prepared by Scotty for the 25 February 1961 <u>Memphis</u> shows at Ellis Auditorium, not Honolulu.

Elvis performed "Doin' The Best I Can" at the afternoon gig. Ernst claims no tapes of either Memphis concert have been located.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis performed "Doin' The Best I Can" at the afternoon gig. Ernst claims no tapes of either Memphis concert have been located.

Hey Doc
Let's Hope They Can Fine This Tape,It Might Be Out There,
Maybe in the "The Col.'s Collection"

Curtis Simpkins

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:13 am

I wasn't criticizing, just speculating on why a previously released performance would be put on FTD. Maybe for new hardcore fans. Most old hardcore fans either have this on the box or on bootleg.

I don't consider it Jorgensen's fault if he runs out of material. It has to happen someday. I think it is perfectly reasonable to think that these, relatively conservative, FTDs are preparing for that day. That's fine with me.

Somebody pointed out that the soundtrack FTDs were extras and you might want to point out that there are a lot of FTDs this year. But as to why they are putting a previously released show out one theory is as good as another.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:11 am

Kylan wrote:Ahh here we go again with the nails grating the chalkboard. Hey Mr Bike, the audience recording u allude to is the famed Pittsburgh concert that nearly everybody and their mama was whining and bitching begging for it to be released, then when it was, people didnt like it. how unusual! And the FTD soundtracks were bonuses above the usual releases, the well isnt running dry, get a grip please!

You're right! It's always the same: complaining and complaining. It's never good enough!