Elvis and Jerry Lee-where did they meet for the first time?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: re

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Joe Car wrote:Hey Doc, any idea when EP and JLL first met? Was it the MDQ sessions?
It's almost certain the first meeting was indeed at 706 Union on December 4, 1956, and the last on August 15, 1969 in Las Vegas at the International. Anything in-between is unconfirmed.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Marko »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:Did you know that EP & JLL played together in graceland for 2 hours !! ?
I don't think even George Klein knew until he needed to "certifiy" that piano. Sam Phillips visited Graceland, but it's doubtful Jerry Lee did.
Isn't that story in a book by one of MM? I think Alan Fortas told the story. If I remember correctly he said that after Jerry left MM were saying how great he was. Elvis got a little bit upset and said something like: "If his that great, why don't you go work for him?"

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

drjohncarpenter

The Fortas memoir is apparently worthwhile -- done with Alanna Nash, IIRC -- but I've never seen a copy. Can you post the quote?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rich Holt
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Rich Holt »

Are the photos from the MDQ session poses for the camera or were they actually singing when the pictures were taken? It looks to me like the four participants are singing in the pictures. Could this be the pre-recorded portion where Cash was a singing member of the 'quartet'?

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvislennon »

For those, who been listenign to the MDQ. I just listen to Peace In The Valley and that is Johnny Cash. I have tried to tell people he was there. Even three sources confirmed that - one from Cash's autobiography and the other one was from Jerry Lee Lewis during a interview. You can't tell the people who was there that they are lying because they was there and you wasn't. I have a Elvis book also that clearly says that Cash was at the recording sessions but had to play in a different key. But some big fans of Cash bought the new edition of the MDQ and he reported to the Cash family that he can be heard on some songs. Mostly on Peace In The Valley. Some of the family members of Cash's family even said that they have more of the recording of the MDQ than what is release but will not release it to the public. There is a bootleg of Johnny Cash that has five more tracks of the MDQ that is NOT on the cds. That bootlegs is call Cash Sessions. It is a double cd that came out about two months ago.

drjohncarpenter

"elvislennon" -- most all of your comments are littered with inaccuracies and downright falsehoods, but I can address one point specifically:
elvislennon wrote:I just listen to Peace In The Valley and that is Johnny Cash.
For those keeping score, please add this FACT to the other comments I wrote above: the other rough-edged voice is Snearly Ranch Boys keyboardist / session musician "Smokey Joe" Baugh (see SUN 228).

Nighty-night!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Marko »

drjohncarpenter wrote:The Fortas memoir is apparently worthwhile -- done with Alanna Nash, IIRC -- but I've never seen a copy. Can you post the quote?
Sorry, no can do. I don't have the book myself even though I've seen it. Anyone else?

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Topic author
Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The Fortas memoir is apparently worthwhile -- done with Alanna Nash, IIRC -- but I've never seen a copy. Can you post the quote?
Sorry, no can do. I don't have the book myself even though I've seen it. Anyone else?
I've definitely seen that quote, I just can't remember where. Tommorrow I'll look around in some old books to see if I can find it, it's now getting past my bed time. To quote the Doc, "nighty-night."

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

I have two books. One that tells about everything Elvis. I just got a book from my friend yesterday after I typed what I have said that came out by the EPE a few years ago. It is call Elvis From A To Z. It clearly says that Cash was at the recording sessions from the beginning and left during it. It also lists all of the songs that was played and that cd the just came out is NOT the Complete MDQ Session. Next, I got another book that I have had for three years now and I bought it when it came out. Elvis Day By Day. This is alot different than the other two books by the same name. It also clearly states that Cash was at the recording session and that Cash had to play a different key. It then reference to Cash's autobiography about this session. Next, Cash said in his autobiography that he was at the session reguardless what people thinks. He should know because he was there. Also, Jerry Lee Lewis said in a interview which I have on tape somewhere. He was asked about the MDQ and who was there. He names himself, Perkins, Elvis, and Cash and that history thinks he wasn't there at all just for the pictures. He said he was there most of the time playing with the rest and that he had to be in a different key than what he is normally plays. So that is two people from that session said that he was there. Why would they lie? They was there and I don't think you all was or is there something you are not telling us.

drjohncarpenter

elvislennon wrote:Elvis From A To Z. It clearly says that Cash was at the recording sessions from the beginning and left during it. It also lists all of the songs that was played and that cd the just came out is NOT the Complete MDQ Session ...

That book is clearly wrong. Try some other, better books.
elvislennon wrote:Next, I got another book ... Elvis Day By Day...
"Elvis - Day By Day" written by two obscure writers named Peter Guralnick and Ernst Jørgensen states that Cash was at the MDQ for the photo session only. You must have another book. Another not-so-good book.
elvislennon wrote:Cash said in his autobiography that he was at the session ...
Well, that's true, he was -- for the pictures. Then he left to do holiday shopping with his wife.
elvislennon wrote:is there something you are not telling us.
Well, there IS something I'm trying to avoid telling you ...

Books are wonderful things, but in the case of the MDQ, the new 2006 CD is evidence enough that Johnny was NOT there for the taped portion of the jam session. That, coupled with the observations of many through the years that agree with this FACT, should really be the end of this subject.

I hope.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

My Elvis Day By Day book was not written by them. It was written by only one person and it is neither one of those name. It says that he was their for a period of time and sung with the group on some songs. He left at a about a third of the way through the session. Elvis From A to Z is not wrong. There is many sessions books that tells about different sessions of any singer you want to know and they even say the same thing. That he played on the session.

Topic author
Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

This is from that awesome book, (at least in my opinion) Elvis, a Celebration, this is an excerpt about MDQ sessions,

"Elvis stopped by his old recording studio in December, and jammed country,
gospel and rock with Perkins and Lewis, while Johnny Cash never actually appeared in the subsequent tapings, which circulated for years as bootlegs before being offically released as a CD."

Doc, great job, I stand corrected, but boy, does that guy sound quite a bit like J.C. in Peace in The Valley.

drjohncarpenter

Joe Car wrote:Doc, great job, I stand corrected, but boy, does that guy sound quite a bit like J.C. in Peace in The Valley.
Oh, thank you, Joe. You should hear Baugh on that SUN single. He had a pretty rough voice!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

Sam Phillips visited Graceland, but it's doubtful Jerry Lee did.
Wrong Doc! If you get a chance to, talk to Elvis friend Will 'Bardahl' McDaniel, he'll tell you of the times Jerry Lee visited Graceland (at least the visits he was around for) including the Elvis/Jerry Lee jam session.

There is also the infamous 'visit' by Jerry Lee to the Graceland gates in 1976 that resulted in the Memphis Police being called.

As far as the voice at the 'Cashlike' :shock: voice at the 48 second mark of peace in the valley that is actually...drumroll...Perkins singing the bass line.

King Of The Jungle

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff
Registered for: 19 years

elvis and jerry lee

Post by Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff »

... mr. Lennon, youre quoting from the Lee Cotton book, day by day,

correct? It was a great piece of information, back in the 80s... but

time catches up with a lot of things... Lee's info wasnt correct.

... Cotton and deWitt together wrote Jailhouse Rock, the book on

bootlegs... and solo again : Did Elvis Play In Your Hometown?

Heads off for all the research done, by both gentlemen... but its

not always based on facts... but at least they tried their best!

drjohncarpenter

KingOfTheJungle wrote:There is also the infamous 'visit' by Jerry Lee to the Graceland gates in 1976 that resulted in the Memphis Police being called.
"Also"? In Nov '76, Jerry visited the gates of Graceland, not Elvis. Maybe you can write another book, one about those famous folks who were able to have a nice visit with Elvis' gates.
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:mr. Lennon, youre quoting from the Lee Cotton book, day by day, correct?
If so, he should get the title of Lee Cotten's book right -- it's "All Shook Up - Elvis Day By Day, 1954-1977."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

"Also"? In Nov '76, Jerry visited the gates of Graceland, not Elvis. Maybe you can write another book, one about those famous folks who were able to have a nice visit with Elvis' gates.
Good comeback, doc, you're a real son of Al Jaffee.

King Of The Jungle

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

My book is NOT I repeat NOT called All Shook Up: Elvis Day By Day 1954 1977. My book is simply call Elvsi Day By Day. It is a very big book and was written in 2003. On the front cover it shows pictures of Elvis On Tour, Elvis Aloha From Hawaii and Elvis In Concert. The back cover shows Elvis from 1968 special, Elvis in the army, Elvis from the movie Loving You. That is my book. It is about a foot long by a half of foot wide. It is about 4 and a half inches thick. Does that rings a bell with anyone?

It is consider the best source for Elvis info.

drjohncarpenter

elvislennon wrote:My book is simply call Elvsi Day By Day. It is a very big book and was written in 2003.
Did anyone dare give their name as author for such a very big book?
elvislennon wrote:It is consider the best source for Elvis info.
Let me give you a clue: your book is NOT the "best source for Elvis info."

Please, stop already.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

elvislennon wrote:My book is NOT I repeat NOT called All Shook Up: Elvis Day By Day 1954 1977. My book is simply call Elvsi Day By Day. It is a very big book and was written in 2003.
Something just stirred in my memory.

Didn't some chick have out a 'day-by-day' book a few years ago ?

It was promptly condemned in the Elvis world for being littered with inaccuracies !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

VOC

Post by VOC »

^Could be, i remember seeing such a book. Can't recall the writer though.

- Whisky Woman, Don't You Know That You Are Driving Me Insane -

Topic author
Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

ColinB wrote:
elvislennon wrote:My book is NOT I repeat NOT called All Shook Up: Elvis Day By Day 1954 1977. My book is simply call Elvsi Day By Day. It is a very big book and was written in 2003.
Something just stirred in my memory.

Didn't some chick have out a 'day-by-day' book a few years ago ?

It was promptly condemned in the Elvis world for being littered with inaccuracies !
That's why prefer the book 'Elvis, hour by hour', less mistakes! :lol:

tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by tcb4 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Hey Doc, any idea when EP and JLL first met? Was it the MDQ sessions?
It's almost certain the first meeting was indeed at 706 Union on December 4, 1956, and the last on August 15, 1969 in Las Vegas at the International. Anything in-between is unconfirmed.
according to serious JLL fans, it s almost certain they met after august 1969 ( and i don t speak of what happened in 1976 ) :wink:

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

My book was written by Johnny Pressly. It was published back in 2003. I bought it at a local mall. I paid about 15 dollars for it. It is a hard back book and the photos are on the hard cover itself and there is no dust cover on it. It says inside that book that "This is the only Elvis - Day by Day book that is accuate of all the Day By Day books. This is indorse by EPE and Graceland. All info comes from the family and from records during the period of 1955 to 1977.". This book includes the recording sessions that was made by Elvis during the sessions of Sun Records to his last which it includes the famous MDQ. It came with several photos from different periods of his life. Photos are re-prints includes the following - Baby picture that was on Elvis Country, Elvis relaxing during Love Me Tender, Elvis with Shelley Fabares during Clambake, Elvis Live onstage during TTWII, Elvis during Aloha From Hawaii concert, Elvis walking onstage in Rapid City, and Elvis' final performance. It also includes a audio cd that has the Madsion Square Garden Press Conference on it with four other interviews and press conferences.

This makes me having four different Elvis - Day By Day books. From what I gather this book is more accurate than the rest. Inside it shows pictures of several places where Elvis performed at. It tells that some of the places have been torn down before the book was written so they provided old photos of the buildings where he performed at.

drjohncarpenter

elvislennon wrote:My book was written by Johnny Pressly ... From what I gather this book is more accurate than the rest.
Have you read any of my replies above?

Are you being willfully ignorant, or are you really obtuse?

I think we're done here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.