All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis and Jerry Lee-where did they meet for the first time?

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:16 pm

Did they meet at Sun for the Dec 4/1956 million dollar session for the first time? I thought I heard Jerry say to EP, "it was nice meeting you" when Elvis said goodbye. Just a note, I thought I heard Cash singing when they were doing Peace In The Valley.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Can you tell us where in the song you can hear Cash? I've listened a couple of times just, and at the start of the chorus there's a Cash like voice for sure (it's around 1.30 on my disc, but it's not the latest issue). On the "there will be peace in the valley" line.

Also, someone at the start says "you should start a quartet".

In Cash's biography he says he IS on the tape if you listen close.

Hmmmmm. . . is old JC there after all?

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:10 pm

Swithin StCleeve wrote:Can you tell us where in the song you can hear Cash? I've listened a couple of times just, and at the start of the chorus there's a Cash like voice for sure (it's around 1.30 on my disc, but it's not the latest issue). On the "there will be peace in the valley" line.

I believe I hear Cash in the first chorus, "There will be peace" and then Cash comes in for "In the Valley for me," at the 48 second mark.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Swithin StCleeve wrote:Can you tell us where in the song you can hear Cash? I've listened a couple of times just, and at the start of the chorus there's a Cash like voice for sure (it's around 1.30 on my disc, but it's not the latest issue). On the "there will be peace in the valley" line.

I believe I hear Cash in the first chorus, "There will be peace" and then Cash comes in for "In the Valley for me," at the 48 second mark.

lol hey Joe, i just played it and i do hear it! never would have unless it was pointed out!

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:09 pm

Kylan wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

lol hey Joe, i just played it and i do hear it! never would have unless it was pointed out!

It certainly sounds like J.C. to my ears!

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:37 am

Well I've camped in the camp that says JC sang in these sessions and I know and respect the Doc who says he didn't.

Doc, given the above comments where are you currently camping ?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:31 pm

I've listened to the disc and I don't hear what you guys are hearing. I wish I did, as I would like to believe Johnny Cash sang as part of the MDQ.

The other thing is, "Peace in the Valley" comes pretty deep into the festivities. By most, if not all, accounts, Johnny was not present at Sun Studio for very long that day. Would he have still been there that deep into the "session"?

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:26 pm

KHoots wrote:I've listened to the disc and I don't hear what you guys are hearing. I wish I did, as I would like to believe Johnny Cash sang as part of the MDQ.

The other thing is, "Peace in the Valley" comes pretty deep into the festivities. By most, if not all, accounts, Johnny was not present at Sun Studio for very long that day. Would he have still been there that deep into the "session"?

Going by the cd, it's number 17 so it's perhaps almost 40 minutes into the session. I wasn't really listening for Cash in particular, it was when I got to this part that I described, that his voice seemed to jump out at me. I could be wrong no doubt.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:10 am

It remains a mystery...The bigger question, Joe, is whether Michigan can win at Ohio State??? :D

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:27 am

KHoots wrote:It remains a mystery...The bigger question, Joe, is whether Michigan can win at Ohio State??? :D

I hope so!

MDQ -- Can You Get A Clue?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:19 am

Steve_M wrote:Well I've camped in the camp that says JC sang in these sessions and I know and respect the Doc who says he didn't.

I suggest you move camp -- Cash is not on the MDQ recording.

Use your LOGIC -- if it is Johnny on "Peace In The Valley," are we to believe he says absolutely NOTHING either before or after this performance? Or anywhere else on the definitive, Kevan Budd-mastered, 2006 BMG edition? Johnny possessed a unique and distinctive SPEAKING voice as well as when he sang.

You don't hear a spoken word from Johnny Cash in nearly 80 minutes of that new CD.

You don't hear a SINGLE acknowledgement of Johnny's presence by anyone there.

You don't hear Johnny, a great lover of gospel, make a single suggestion when the group is jamming on anything they can remember from their church days.

Is that enough clues for y'all? It should be.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 am

And you don't hear the songs that JC claimed to have been performed on the session (This Train Is Bound For Glory and Vacation In Heaven).

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:40 am

The reason that Cash could be on the tape on this song (I don't hear him but I haven't listened in a month or so.) is that we don't know what's missing from what part of the tape. Maybe "Peace in the Valley" if Cash is on there, is connected to a missing fragment of tape. I'm not saying that's the case but it's possible since when it came out in 1990 we thought that was the complete tape. Then they found "Reconsider Baby". Then they found the songs were in slightly the wrong order. Then they found those instrumentals that now lead off the session. I'm not saying that's the case but it's possible because this apple cart has been upset before.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Judging by what everybody told me, I just assumed Cash wasn't there. Like I said earlier, when I was listening to Peace In The Valley, his voice, (which we all agree was unique), jumped out at me, like wait a second, that's J.C.!

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:48 pm

likethebike wrote:The reason that Cash could be on the tape on this song (I don't hear him but I haven't listened in a month or so.) is that we don't know what's missing from what part of the tape. Maybe "Peace in the Valley" if Cash is on there, is connected to a missing fragment of tape.

According to Mr. Budd, the 2006 edition was taken from complete reels. So the gospel section does not have a "missing" segment. And since we hear no Johnny input at any point during that particular section, it seems beyond reproach that he is simply NOT THERE.

re

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:41 am

Elvis and Jerry Lee-where did they meet for the first time?

it was discussed months ago but can t find the topic :(

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 am

Thanks Doc that I did not know. However, there is an odd moment early on in the tape when somebody says to the singers "You ought to get up a quartet". I know that the MDQ members were not the only musicians present during the session but it's an odd comment for say Elvis, Jerry Lee, Perkins and a studio hand. Shortly after this Elvis says goodbye to someone leaving the studio and after that Marilyn Evans refers to the group as a "Rover Boys Trio". The lack of Johnny's speaking voice is a major hole in any theory related to his presence. However, even now the tape is not of superior audio quality and we don't know how good the mike was in picking up everything in the room. The preponderance of evidence is that he was not in the studio for this tape but it is not beyond a reasonable doubt to me.

I would note though that it is more than possible that Johnny joined in the jam session. The songs listed in the original newspaper article were songs mostly not on the MDQ tape that we have. It is probable that Johnny was there and jammed but left before Phillips got the tape going. I say probable because of the songlist and because of Cash's own insistence of his participation.

As I said, you never what can happen to disrupt our conceptions in the future. As late as 1978, Dave Marsh wrote that we would probably never hear the MDQ or as it turned out MDT. When I was in high school, Elvis' audition demos were thought to be lost. Now we've heard them. In the 1980s, RCA told us the vaults were empty. When Ernst took over he found a slew of material from "A Hundred Years from Now" to "I'm a Roustabout" to the long bootlegged "You're the Boss" and "You're The Reason I'm Living." You never know.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:36 am

likethebike wrote:When Ernst took over he found a slew of material from "A Hundred Years from Now" to "I'm a Roustabout" to the long bootlegged "You're the Boss" and "You're The Reason I'm Living." You never know.

If you look closely, you'll note that all of these were discovered and issued within 20 to 30 years of their recording date.

With the MDQ virtually all of it was out by 1990. It's now almost 50 years to the day of the event, and all three reels are on a superb CD release in EXCELLENT quality.

How many more years do you expect to wait for "more"?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:18 am

I'm not waiting for more. I'm happy with the MDQ as it is. IMO it's both entertaining and informative.

However, historians discover lost material all the time even older than the MDQ. Recently MGM Warner unearthed a screen test that Marlon Brando, fresh from Streetcar Named Desire on Broadway did for an early configuration of Rebel Without a Cause in 1948/1949. A lot of fans didn't even know this stuff existed until it fell out of the sky in a studio vault examination a year or so ago. Even in Peter Manso's mammoth bio the fact that Brando was being considered for a role in the movie but not that there had been a screen test.

So you never know what you're going to find.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:33 am

likethebike wrote:So you never know what you're going to find.

Well, you know that Brando find was a one-shot. I wouldn't put any money on Cash MDQ tracks surfacing in our lifetimes.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:54 pm

I know it's not a JLL board - but his new CD `Last Man Standing' is a killer
rick

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:00 pm

rickeap wrote:I know it's not a JLL board - but his new CD `Last Man Standing' is a killer
rick

I wouldn't call it a killer, it's certainly not my favourite JLL album (especially the song with Rod Stewart :smt078 )

re

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:07 pm

Did you know that EP & JLL played together in graceland for 2 hours !! ?

http://www.freesell.com/makethumb.php?p ... w=700&sq=Y

Re: re

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:46 am

tcb4 wrote:Did you know that EP & JLL played together in graceland for 2 hours !! ?

I don't think even George Klein knew until he needed to "certifiy" that piano. Sam Phillips visited Graceland, but it's doubtful Jerry Lee did.

Re: re

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
tcb4 wrote:Did you know that EP & JLL played together in graceland for 2 hours !! ?

I don't think even George Klein knew until he needed to "certifiy" that piano. Sam Phillips visited Graceland, but it's doubtful Jerry Lee did.

Hey Doc, any idea when EP and JLL first met? Was it the MDQ sessions? Thanks in advance!