All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:33 pm

In every phase of our hero's career he seemed sometimes not too well prepared. He often started songs that crossed his mind and therefore I don't mind a forgotten line of "Such A Night" in 1976. It was a spontanious performance and it's fine to me.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:17 am

Dan_T wrote:Didn't he also forget the lyrics in Hawaii '61?
Yes! And do not blame him for not doing this song on a regular basis....I mean really... every night having an orgasm at the end of the song??!! OOUUUUUOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:00 am

I like the version of this song. Yeah he does mess up on the lyrics but i'm in my early 20's, can i remember word for word a bedtime song that i may have sang when i was 4? I like how he did his little dance at the end too. It was fun to watch.

SAN

Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:51 am

Hot Damm, love it.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:15 am

rockerman wrote:I like the version of this song. Yeah he does mess up on the lyrics but i'm in my early 20's, can i remember word for word a bedtime song that i may have sang when i was 4? I like how he did his little dance at the end too. It was fun to watch.

Interesting rationalisation. Can't say I remotely agree.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:28 am

of course he wasn't at his best, that goes without saying

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:44 am

This is a first! So much about the performance of a mediocre song that was rarely sung and never got nailed including the MASTER. His timing is off a little at the beginning. Or it sounds like it anyway to me. Always bothered me. No complaints about fumbled lyrics from 61, 70(Stranger In The Crowd) and these were more important events than the 76 one which was only meant for Atlanta! It would have been a sexy song for me if the ooos and aaaaassssss were echoed by a FEMALE backup group not humping Jordanaires... :lol:

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:57 am

Elvis himself said of his appearance in Hawaii in 1961, he hadn't played with the band since 1957, and they hadn't rehearsed, and he sang the same lyrics over and over. Yes I suppose this is all true, but I still love this show.

Alot of you criticize Elvis because he didn't rehearse and prepare every thing he did on stage, but you are missing one of the main draws about Elvis and that is, you never knew what he was going to do or say on stage any given night.

That's why people came and saw his show over and over. Each concert was a little different. I would not have wanted Elvis to be this perfect robot singer that never made mistakes. It's all in the feel of the performance not the technical parts of it.

"Such A Night" is one of my top ten favorites of Elvis.

Very cool song, sung expertly in 1960. No way he could top it.

There are a lot of lyrics to this thing too.

I think he did good to remember what he did in 1976.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:08 am

ekenee wrote: It's all in the feel of the performance not the technical parts of it.
I agree with that and very much respect your opinion of the song.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 am

I actually missed some of these comments previously so here goes:

Cryogenic wrote: (Elvis) actually had far more of a reason to go mad during the stand-up sessions for the Comeback Special. That orchestra was awful! Yet he kept his cool from beginning to end. The fact that he could go mad over tiny errors years later, errors brought on by his own laziness and unwillingness to rehearse, shows how far he'd fallen by 1976/1977.

I don't think the rather accomplished and in some cases legendary musicians who made up the orchestra in '68 were "awful," but they haven't aged as well and were all over the map in spots. Personally, I like the distinctiveness of the sound on some cuts but agree it's easy to jump on. (I certainly am wary of playing some of the audio of these versions for a novice fan.) . If nothing else, they are loud and punchy in a way that will bring a smile to fans of the old "Batman" TV show of the '60s. :lol: "Over-the-top" has it's redeeming features. :D

Otherwise, I respect your opinion on this, Cryo, but must question your overall take on on his voice in '76-77, where he was still (many of us argue here) capable of singing as great as ever (not so much here), albeit in a new voice.

I don't really have a problem with his tossed-off version here at all, save for his "Casper the Friendly Ghost" appearance in the footage ! (With thanks to Chris for his comment in Pete Dube's recent thread on the same subject...!)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

So the notion that this version is "brutal" as Brad calls it is a bit much. Maybe I'm crediting the novelty of him singing a fresh "catalog" song too much, but it's no more brutal than the way too many of his late versions of "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock" sound to some ears....

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Damn we can be critical. A few lines may have been fluffed in Atlanta but there is enthusiasm and fun in that rare performance. He even manages a fun wiggle during the `climax'
enjoy it
Rick

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:13 am

Yes he misses a few lines in the Atlanta version, but it was spontaneous. In other words unrehearsed. It was a more (relatively) complete rendition than the one from a couple weeks previous in Vegas, and more importantly he's into the Atlanta version, there's genuine vocal sparkle!

As for the "ghostly" image, it's super 8mm amatuer footage so the quality is a bit blurred. Look at the photos from this gig, he's not lean, but he's not fat and seemed to be well down the road to being physically fit.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:24 am

How about this one?http://youtube.com/watch?v=XhzQPugUP2Y&mode=related&search=

Mike in WV

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:13 am

You mean this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XhzQPugUP2Y& ... ed&search=

Well, at first glance, one thinks "why bother" and "yuck, another impersonator," but I have to say that Kurt Russell remains one of the best, visually anyway. I never saw this late '90s flick but it's neat that he came back to a role that he did so well back in '78.

Having sat through the video, I eventually came to enjoy it, especially the ending. :lol: He's pretty good at it, or was.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Yeah that's it...sorry for the bad link. I bet Russell doesn't even consider himself an impersonator. Another thing about that video, although off topic, is that Courtney Cox looks sexy as hell. She's one of those women who to me can look just OK at times but at other times WOW! I didn't think that I'd like that movie but it's pretty good.

Mike in WV