All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:44 pm

I don't think that Ernst has mentioned anywhere, that the Elvis CD would consist of studio out-takes....
Also, if one were to compare the demos with Elvis' versions, you would need to compare them with the masters - not some out-take.

The way I see it is that we get a great book with a cd of demos - which we can compare to the Elvis versions that we already have. Oh... and as a special bonus we get a full cd of unreleased multitrack live recordings !

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:51 pm

Mike DK wrote:I don't think that Ernst has mentioned anywhere, that the Elvis CD would consist of studio out-takes....
Also, if one were to compare the demos with Elvis' versions, you would need to compare them with the masters - not some out-take.

The way I see it is that we get a great book with a cd of demos - which we can compare to the Elvis versions that we already have. Oh... and as a special bonus we get a full cd of unreleased multitrack live recordings !

Yes, but when the title of the book is Writing for the King, and the concept is demos supplied to Elvis for studio recordings, it makes no sense to include a cd of live material..!?

Best Regards
Kristian

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:54 pm

rezident wrote:if fogerty and mccartney was interviewed because of elvis performed songs they wrote live, why not interview dylan? i know elvis version of dont think twice wasnt performed live but i think dylan would have a lot more interesting things to say about elvis. proud mary, i dont think its the creedence version of this song elvis is really covering, and yesterday/hey jude is probably the only songs i have heard elvis perform that i didn't think he made into an elvis song or a song he made into his own. i hate that medley and use the skip button whenever i hear a 69 show

Since they went after "big" names like McCartney and Fogerty, I would be very surprised if Dylan wasn't asked... although he (almost) never gives interviews. But it would have been interesting...

Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:59 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Yes, but when the title of the book is Writing for the King, and the concept is demos supplied to Elvis for studio recordings...

That is not true, exactly. The title is perhaps a bit misleading. Many of the people interviewed in the book never supplied a demo to Elvis. But they all had their songs covered by him, either live or in the studio, so in a sense they all DID write songs for The King. And I for one am looking forward to hear their opinions about those covers.

I kind of agree with Mike DK:

Mike DK wrote:Also, if one were to compare the demos with Elvis' versions, you would need to compare them with the masters - not some out-take. The way I see it is that we get a great book with a cd of demos - which we can compare to the Elvis versions that we already have. Oh... and as a special bonus we get a full cd of unreleased multitrack live recordings !

And all the live recordings are not totally out of place. The songs by John Fogerty, Paul McCartney, Joe South - all interviewed in the book - were recorded live only. Those live recordings do belong here. A live version of "Suspicious Minds" do belong here, because it was an important song in Elvis' live reportaire and the writer, Mark James, is interviewed in the book. Perhaps all the songs do belong here. We don't know yet because no one has seen the book. Let's not trash the damn thing before we've even seen it. It ain't fair, man!

About the Dylan thing... Why don't you track down Bob Dylan, rezident, and get him to do an interview about Elvis? I'm sure that is the easiest thing in the world! :shock:

By the way, the Freddy Beinstock interview alone makes the book an essential purchase, trust me... :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
... and as a special bonus we get a full cd of unreleased multitrack live recordings !"

I'm looking forward to the live cd - but it's with mixed feelings.

I feel approx the same as when the Close Up box set was released.

Back then I was thrilled to finally get a complete show from Elvis On Tour released officially - but why the heck did they put it on a box set otherwise filled with alternate studio takes..?

I'm beginning to see a pattern here...! :lol:

Best Regards
Kristian

RE

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:11 pm

I don't know why you all complain.
So maybe the live track are a bit of topic, but come on people, we'll getting many unreleased multi-track recordings here, plus a great book and a cd full of demo's.
Please, let us be greatfull, there will be a time when all this is over.
FTD doesn't excits forever.

keep coming those special cd's as long as they hold unreleased material.

LET'S STOP COMPLAINING. !!!!
It's Elvis,
Let's enjoy it.

ALWAYS ELVIS ON MY MIND.
Eddy KHB
Holland

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm

Quote: But Ernst has clearly stated that they must include a CD or two with the books because otherwise they don't sell.

This is very telling. People that read are in the minority.
Why not at least market the cd seperately for those that don't want the book?

I am sure there are fans that want the book and the cd's, but its obvious many more want the cd's. I would have been fine with a book-let. Perhaps a page or so written about each song. 20-24 pages long.

I have bought the Ernst session book, the Tunzi session book, a book on ghosttowns, a book on nutritional healing, a book on photography, and many other books, and none of them included a cd.

In fact if you go to a book store 99.99 % of them do not include a cd.

I am not against it, but market it differently please.

I say to Ernst take a break from books, and find a way to market dvd's.
The fans want dvd's that is for sure.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:48 pm

ekenee wrote:I say to Ernst take a break from books...

Don't listen to this man, Ernst! :D

I say to Ernst give us more books! "Flashback" is arguably FTD's finest release ever.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:53 pm

I am sure that this live CD will be great, and would have made an interesting and worthy stand alone FTD project in the future (after they give us the Nashville '71 Outtakes!!).

But it really seems out of place in this project. I hate to moan about FTD, because I truly believe that FTD is the best thing since sliced bread!!

I hope I am proved wrong, and that the set sells well. But I fear the worst. I can almost hear the CDr merchants cranking up their burners to copy the Cd for the hundreds of fans who won't pay the price of entry for this one!! Shame on them if this happens :evil:

A big loss maker now could mark the end of FTD - I sure hope they got it right!!

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:42 pm

I had reservations about this particular FTD (even though I still would have bought it) until I saw the tracklisting. All of these great live cuts from 1969, '70 and '72 changed my mind about it very quickly.

Why would anyone prefer a re-release of studio cuts to compare with the demos? We already have them on various CD's. The sound of those should be embedded in your mind forever. You can compare the two just by listening to the demos themselves.

Why in the world would anyone want another compilation of what you already have?

I'll take these great live cuts from Vegas any day.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Keith Richards Jr. .......If books are so great why can't they be sold without cd's? That is all I ask. Give the fan a choice. Why "force" them to buy a book when all they want is the cd's.

I was already on the fence with this release so why would I want to spend all that money on a book, when all I really want is the cd's.

I stand by my previous post. 99.99% of all books don't have cd's with them. ever wonder why?

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Why isn't the Proby demo of 'Slowly But Surely' on there ?

That was one track I really was eager to hear.

Given that particular demo's reputation, surely that would have made for a fascinating listen !

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 pm

i havn't gone through the 'unreleased' studio outakes of the songs on cd2, but how many do you think their would be to put on cd1 if that's all they used? 5 or 6!! :roll:

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:15 am

BIGREDG wrote:Well I hate to be "down" on a release before having seen or heard it ...

BIGREDG wrote:I hate to moan about FTD ...

And yet -- you do -- over and over again.

The cynical attitudes and ignorant, misguided conclusions of some is just pathetic.

Why don't you people go discuss poetry and ETAs on another MB, and leave this one for those who GET what Ernst, Roger, Ken and FTD are struggling to accomplish?

Wouldn't it be nice ....

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:18 am

of the demos disc, only 9 titles are likely to exist in an elvis unreleased version, and the ones marked * are very risky bets, for meybe there are no more outtekes of them.

POCKETFUL OF RAINBOWS
NO MORE
MY DESERT SERENADE *
THE LOVE MACHINE
WEARIN’ THAT LOVED ON LOOK
I’VE LOST YOU *
tHE NEXT STEP IS LOVE *
MARY IN THE MORNING *
RAISED ON ROCK *

so what do you want? a reduced cd with 4 alternate takes? a compilation of masters?

I do prefer the live cd. Strange choice but it brings diversity!!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:52 am

Excellent posting Frus...... now maybe people will shut up complaining and realise we're in a win, win situation here anyhow! :lol: you want to hear the original master tracks then compile your own cd from the masters we ALREADY HAVE! :roll:

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice ....
Beach Boys off topic here!! :) :lol:

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:25 am

Rob wrote:I'll take these great live cuts from Vegas any day.

So would I...in their correct context.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The cynical attitudes and ignorant, misguided conclusions of some is just pathetic.

I would be very interested for you to point out the above in my conclusions for they are certainly not ignorant, nor misguided, nor pathetic.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:02 am

While I support FTD the cost and logic of this release leaves me a bit bewildered. If all the live tracks have some connection to the writers' book then maybe there is some sense to their inclusion, otherwise they should not be in this package
rick

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 am

Matthew wrote:I would be very interested for you to point out the above in my conclusions for they are certainly not ignorant, nor misguided, nor pathetic.

Although your comments were not explicitly implied in my statement, your defensive reply is revealing. Um, since you asked, it is -- at best -- ignorant to post a comment like this ...

Matthew wrote:... the live material has absolutely NOTHING to do with the concept of the book. Should it include masters? No, of course not. Alternate takes yes ... If the odd track with this book would have been previously released then so what?

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ht=#313121

... when I previously answered such queries:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ht=#313089

Hope this resolves your evident confusion!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:I would be very interested for you to point out the above in my conclusions for they are certainly not ignorant, nor misguided, nor pathetic.

Although your comments were not explicitly implied in my statement, your defensive reply is revealing. Um, since you asked, it is -- at best -- ignorant to post a comment like this ...

Matthew wrote:... the live material has absolutely NOTHING to do with the concept of the book. Should it include masters? No, of course not. Alternate takes yes ... If the odd track with this book would have been previously released then so what?

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ht=#313121

... when I previously answered such queries:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ht=#313089

Hope this resolves your evident confusion!

My reply, however defensive it may be is a reaction to the attitude evident in the post it references. Explicitly implied or not, my posts obviously contributed to your post by virtue of the fact you were able to expand on your comments by stating above that you believe my statement is ignorant.

Unfortunately your post link doesn't reason well the inclusion of the live tracks with this book. If they are there to keep the project out of the red then one questions how the project got off the ground in the first place. I do not believe that is why they are included, referenced in the book or not.

Yes, studio material is running dry, yes there would have been criticisms if previously released material would have been used where an unreleased take does not exist, but at least it would make a coherent project. FTD are already in the questionable habit of re-issuing material available on other FTDs. Elvis Live in Las Vegas, as awesome as that material probably is - and I do think it will be - it makes no sense with this project.

For your information I am not interested in a flame fest with you, debate for sure, that always makes for good reading and is why most of us on here enjoy the forum as we do.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:30 am

Quote: Why don't you people go discuss poetry and ETAs on another MB, and leave this one for those who GET what Ernst, Roger, Ken and FTD are struggling to accomplish?

Getting it and agreeing with it are 2 different things.

I am not really too interested what they are trying to accomplish.

I am more focused on what I am trying to accomplish.

And that is collect unreleased Elvis material as economically as possible.

For me and others, its as simple as that.

If this type of project is risky financially, maybe they shouldn't be taking these risks.

I had warmed up to this project, but I would have a more economical approach. A bared bones approach. The book will be a 1-read type of thing. Not like a session book where I would go back to again and again.

On the whole I support the FTD stuff. Classic albums, soundboards, and the Sun Box are what I am mainly interested in.

I am sure those that can afford this, will enjoy it.

I do stand by my previous critique and no one has challenged me on that so I am pretty confident that my idea of issuing the cd seperately is a valid one.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:02 am

About the Dylan thing... Why don't you track down Bob Dylan, rezident, and get him to do an interview about Elvis? I'm sure that is the easiest thing in the world! :shock:

By the way, the Freddy Beinstock interview alone makes the book an essential purchase, trust me... :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr

im sure Elvis is one of the few subjects which would actually not be that hard to get Dylan to talk about

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:12 am

ekenee wrote:I am not really too interested what they are trying to accomplish.

Why are you even an Elvis fan?

ekenee wrote:I am more focused on what I am trying to accomplish.

Oh, how heart-warming!

So sad, what Ernst and Roger must deal with in the Elvis world.