All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: Dear Sweet Jesus ...

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:You are correct in your assertion of me being a respectful poster, and I thank you for your kind words.

I thought you were an expert at sarcasm, you must've misplaced your degree.

As for your search effort -- nice try! But wrong.

That comment simply laments the fact that there are too many here who completely miss the goals and hard work of the FTD team, and that they are obviously better suited to a more simple, uncomplicated MB.

Again, it has nothing to do with what I think, it's just a statement of FACT.

Nighty-night, Einstein! You may issue your apology tomorrow.

It was not much of a search - I just had to go back 3 pages.

Your intolerance is shockingly obvious to everyone. Don't try and dress it up as something it is not!!

We all understand what FTD is all about, and appreciate the label immensely. But nothing is beyond criticism. You yourself are forever criticising vast chunks of Elvis work - and that is a FACT!!

Nighty Night????? It's luch time here!! Wrong again Dr. Mengele.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:43 pm

jak wrote:Anybody who purchases these cd's, at the fairly steep price I might add,has the right to express themselves.

That's true. I'm not 100% satisfied with every single FTD release, and even Ernst makes some weird descisions from time to time, just like everybody else does. I just feel that the some of the outrage and negativity displayed in this particular thread is very unfair and hard to understand. Constructive, respectful critizism is a good thing, though. A very good thing.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:53 pm

I'm looking forward to finally having the 8/11/70 Dinner Show version of YLTLF, the one from both editions of TTWII and used in Elvis Presley In Concert. I've always loved that version for the great vocaliztion of the "love me like you used to do" line and have always wanted to include it in a concert compilation. The "encore" version from the Midnight show used in the TTWII CD set is great but at over 6 minutes it eats up a lot of CD time. I plan on making some live compilation CDs from '69 & TTWII for the drive to Memphis next August so it's great to finally have this version to include.

Better believe it's on my Christmas list now!

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:05 am

PEP wrote:Latest photo of what the cover might end up looking like
for this exciting project...
PEP 8)

This is a fantastic cover!

Now, I may not be completely sober right here where I'm sittin' (heck, it's Friday!), but can someone state the date and location this brilliant photo was taken?

Thanks, and cheers! :lol:

Best Regards
Kristian

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:01 am

Why is anything that involves Ersnt or FTD above this?It's true that if you express any negative feelings concerning them you are pounced upon.Does the amount of effort behind a project or the intentions behind it put it beyond criticism?

jak, it is a good and obvious point. Overall Ernst and FTD do a solid job. Some releases have been fantastic while others have been duds, but their commitment to the archives should be embraced by fans. That being said, certain ideas they come up and the adoption of RCA's philosophy to reissue previously released material over and over again definitely merit constructive criticism.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:03 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
jak wrote:Anybody who purchases these cd's, at the fairly steep price I might add,has the right to express themselves.

But people who repeatedly and loudly sound off that Ernst shouldn't do this or that regarding the many projects that a large number of us have clearly expressed a desire for are being awfully ungracious -- the implication being that you'd rather deprive all the rest of us so you can have things exactly your way.

If there's a project that doesn't meet my precise individual specifications, I don't feel obliged to noisily demand that everyone else be put in a position of doing without.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:52 am

elvissessions.com wrote:The truth is, Ernst can't win on this issue. I guarantee you -- and you know it's true -- whatever he does with a project like this will be criticized.

But remember, Ernst gets to do only those FTD projects for which he can offer reasonable assurances to the execs they will not lose money. The fact that this is the fourth book/CD combo tells us that the concept is successful enough to justify another release.

I think you're right on this. When I first read the tracklisting I was shocked too - or better: I was suprised! I don't really know what I expected from this release but I was looking forward to it.

In my mind this release was made up with session outtakes mixed with masters. Something like documenting the working process in such as presenting the demo and then presenting some outtakes from the sessions. I didn't expected to hear a complete new CD of Elvis outtakes. In fact, I expected something like the demo of "His Latest Flame" compiled with the great (!) rehearsal outtake from the "Elvis For Everybody" album ... and the Heartbreak Hotel demo followed by an alternate from the EP-album and so forth ...... I was hoping for more "rough" masters like the "All Shook Up" with the count-in one from the LOVING YOU release ....

That we are going to get live recordings from Las Vegas is a dream coming true - although I have to admit it seems to be little out of place here.

But I know that FTD can only refinance the production cost (which I suppose to be one of the highest ever with a book of 400 pages) in releasing the book that way because the live material is what sells. And I expect that the next few FTD releases will be soundboards - because they have to contribute to this project too.

What I want to say is: this is not was I was dreaming of, but it is a good portion of it. So: get it on, FTD :P

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:09 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Yes indeed you truly can get value for money this time aroud. Christmas comes closer every night.

Please don't forget to leave Santa some milk and cookies before beddie bye time if you want any FTD's in your stocking.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:20 am

Matthew wrote:
Rob wrote:I'll take these great live cuts from Vegas any day.

So would I...in their correct context.

I'll take unreleased live multi-track cuts from Vegas in 1969 and 1970 any way I can.
Context be damned.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:09 pm

Rob wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Rob wrote:I'll take these great live cuts from Vegas any day.

So would I...in their correct context.

I'll take unreleased live multi-track cuts from Vegas in 1969 and 1970 any way I can.
Context be damned.

Unfortunately for me and I am sure others too, cost cannot be dammed. £15 for a standard FTD of this material v the cost of an FTD book to get this material is a big factor. We don't all have limitless purchasing funds (I am not suggesting that you do). I absolutely love multitrack live Elvis material and this CD would be next on my hitlist of FTDs to get as I am a few titles due to fanancial priorities.

I stand by my opinions on the inclusion of the live material with this project, it doesn't fit here, is out of context, and should be a separate disc release. It would be different if this were a book documenting Elvis' Vegas '69-'72 period when he was at his live peak, that would be awesome. Here though it is like 2+2=5.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:15 pm

Matthew wrote:Unfortunately for me and I am sure others too, cost cannot be dammed.

Understood.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:21 pm

Matthew wrote:
I stand by my opinions on the inclusion of the live material with this project, it doesn't fit here, is out of context, and should be a separate disc release. It would be different if this were a book documenting Elvis' Vegas '69-'72 period when he was at his live peak, that would be awesome. Here though it is like 2+2=5.

This is exactly how i feel about this release, live recordings are totally out of context. I, like most of you, had expected studio recordings from Elvis as this was where he was given these songs and it was in the studio that these songwriters would attend to give whatever help they could to Elvis.

The paying public (us Elvis fans) are intitled to voice our opinions (good and bad) about ANY Elvis product that we don't think is good enough. We have been getting substandard material for so many years now i think we are entitled to it.
After all, most of us have given Ernst the funds to produce the FTD's by buying the previous book's & cd's.