All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Writing for the king-Tracklist

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:08 pm

Writing for the King - Book & 2-CD Set – Release Date: December 1, 2006 11/6/2006
Ken Sharp’s book includes more than 140 interviews with songwriters like John Fogerty, Paul McCartney, Leiber & Stoller, Pomus & Shuman, Phil Spector, Tommy Durden, Red West, Mark James, Tony Joe White and publisher Freddy Bienstock. "Writing for the King" is a fascinating behind-the-scenes story of politics, money, inspiration and great trivia about Elvis and the songs he turned into classics.

Included is a CD of previously unreleased RCA recordings of Elvis performing live in Las Vegas (1969 through 1972) plus a second CD with a selection of the original demos submitted to Elvis. The demo CD takes us from “Heartbreak Hotel” through classics like “Teddy Bear,” “Trouble,” “Burning Love” and “Way Down.”

400-Page Book and 2 CDs!

DISC 1 - THE RECORDINGS - ELVIS PRESLEY

All selections on this disc are live recordings from Elvis concerts at recorded at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, a.k.a. The Las Vegas Hilton.

M = Midnight Show
D = Dinner Show

August 1969:

BLUE SUEDE SHOES (24th/M) 2:51
(Carl Perkins)

I GOT A WOMAN (24th/M) 2:36
(Ray Charles)

ALL SHOOK UP (24th/M) 3:06
(Blackwell/Presley)

LOVE ME TENDER (24th/M) 2:46
(Matson/Presley)

JAILHOUSE ROCK / DON’T BE CRUEL (24th/M) 2:38
(Leiber/Stoller) / (Blackwell/Presley)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (24th/M) 4:05
(Axton/Durden/Presley)

HOUND DOG (24th/M) 1:26
(Leiber/Stoller)

WORDS (25th/D) 2:41
(Barry, Maurice & Robin Gibb)

YESTERDAY/HEY JUDE (25th/D) 4:34
(Lennon/McCartney)

IN THE GHETTO (25th/M) 2:43
(Mac Davis)

February 1970:

DON’T CRY DADDY (16th/D) 2:50
(Mac Davis)

POLK SALAD ANNIE (16th/D) 5:38
(Tony Joe White)

KENTUCKY RAIN (17th/D) 3:16
(Rabbitt/Heard)

WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES (16th/D) 2:50
(Joe South)

August 1970:

SOMETHING (11th/D) 4:45
(George Harrison)

YOU’VE LOST THAT LOVIN’ FEELIN’ (11th/D) 4.45
(Mann/Weil)

I JUST CAN’T HELP BELIEVIN’ (13th/D) 3:13
(Mann/Weil)

February, 1972:

NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN (14th/M) 3:30
(Hoyt Axton)

LOVE ME (14th/M) 1:55
(Leiber/Stoller)

(LET ME BE YOUR) TEDDY BEAR / DON’T BE CRUEL (14th/M)1:52
(Mann/Lowe) / (Blackwell/Presley)

A BIG HUNK O’ LOVE (14th/M) 2:04
(Schroeder/Wyche)

August, 1969:

SUSPICIOUS MINDS (24th/M) 6:56
(Mark James)

CAN’T HELP FALLING IN LOVE (24th/M) 2:09
(Peretti/Creatore/Weiss)

DISC 2 - THE DEMOS – VARIOUS ARTISTS

HEARTBREAK HOTEL
(Axton/Durden/Presley)
Singer: Glenn Reeves

(LET ME BE YOUR) TEDDY BEAR
(Kal Mann/Bernie Lowe)
Singer: Otis Blackwell

DON’T ASK ME WHY
(Fred Wise/Ben Weisman)
Singer: Jimmy Breedlove

HARD HEADED WOMAN
(Claude DeMetrius)

TROUBLE
(Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
Singer: Unknown

WEAR MY RING AROUND YOUR NECK
(Bert Carroll/Russell Moody)
Singer: Gus Coletti

POCKETFUL OF RAINBOWS
(Fred Wise/Ben Weisman)

NO MORE
(Don Robertson/Hal Blair)
Singer: Don Robertson

(MARIE’S THE NAME OF) HIS LATEST FLAME
(Doc Pomus/Mort Shuman)
Singer: Mort Shuman

GOOD LUCK CHARM
(Aaron Schroeder/Wally Gold)
Singer: Robert Moseley

DEVIL IN DISGUISE
(Bill Giant/Bernie Baum/Florence Kaye)
Singer: Bill Giant

VIVA LAS VEGAS
(Doc Pomus/Mort Shuman)
Singer: Mort Shuman

C’MON EVERYBODY
(Joy Byers)
Singer: Bob Johnston

KISSIN’ COUSINS
(Fred Wise/Randy Starr)
Singer: Malcolm Dodd

MY DESERT SERENADE
(Stanley Gelber)
Singer: Kenny Karen

COULD I FALL IN LOVE
(Randy Starr)
Singer: Malcolm Dodd

THE LOVE MACHINE
(G. Nelson/F. Burch/C. Taylor)
Singer: Gerald Nelson

CLAMBAKE – alternate song
(Winfield Scott)
Singer: Winfield Scott

WEARIN’ THAT LOVED ON LOOK
(Dallas Frazier/A. L. Owens)
Singer: Dallas Frazier

I’VE LOST YOU
(Howard/Blaikley)
Singer: Peter Lee Sterling

THE NEXT STEP IS LOVE
(Evans/Parnes)
Singer: Paul Evans

MARY IN THE MORNING
(Cymbal/Rashkow)
Singer: Johnny Cymbal

BURNING LOVE
(Dennis Linde)
Singer: Dennis Linde

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
(Jerry Chesnut)
Singer: Jerry Chesnut

RAISED ON ROCK
(Mark James)
Singer: Mark James

WAY DOWN
(Layng Martine Jr.)
Singer: Layng Martine Jr.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:28 pm

Whoa! This is NOT what I expected for the Elvis versions. Did anyone? I expected studio recordings for sure. No complaints (yet because I've got to study this and think about it), but big surprise! I don't know, guys, does this make any sense? I'll take any unreleased recordings I can get, but these seem a little incongruous conceptually.
Last edited by elvissessions on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:04 am

elvissessions.com wrote:I don't know, guys, does this make any sense.

Well, no. The Las Vegas recordings don't seem to belong there. However, IF the book contains interviews or whatever with Ray Charles, Carl Perkins, and all the other songwriters on CD 1 it all does make sense and I congratulate the FTD team for coming up with the brilliant idea of including live recordings on that disc! :D

But the soundboards from 1974 and 1976 didn't belong on "Rockin' Across Texas" either. This I guess is the only way for FTD to make it financially worthwhile. Live material from the '70s sell like crazy. Books don't. Personally, I want the book (and the demos) first and foremost but many, many people will buy this FTD mainly to get the unreleased live recordings. That's the way it is.

Nevermind. This book will be a classic. The interview with Freddy Beinstock was included in the latest issue of Elvis: The Man And His Music and it was so entertaining, so interesting, so fascinating... and I'm sure the other interviews will be great, too. 400 pages! This looks like the most exciting Elvis release in years. Bring it on!

Speaking of books, I'm re-reading Ernst Jorgensen's "A Life In Music" right now. A true masterpiece and the best and most important Elvis book ever written, bar NONE! No fan should be without that book.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 am

can't wait for this one!

Only gripe so far is why Fogerty and McCartney are interviewed - they never wrote or even asked to write for Elvis.

Notice the "new" Clambake song.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:53 am

what do you guys think of the list of demos? not bad, but i was hoping to hear that P.J. Proby demo of Slowly But Surely the Doc kept raving about! :lol: and finally thought id get a chance to hear Mark James' version of Suspicious Minds. oh well.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:01 am

Only gripe so far is why Fogerty and McCartney are interviewed - they never wrote or even asked to write for Elvis.

True. But Elvis did appreciate their work and covered some of their songs. So, being that they are two of the most prolific and revered songwriters in Rock, and with Elvis having covered their songs, it just adds value to the book having their opinions and thoughts expressed.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:08 am

Kylan wrote:finally thought id get a chance to hear Mark James' version of Suspicious Minds. oh well.

Mark James' version has been released on a cd. It is a needle-drop but the sound is o.k.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:21 am

Quote:

True. But Elvis did appreciate their work and covered some of their songs. So, being that they are two of the most prolific and revered songwriters in Rock, and with Elvis having covered their songs, it just adds value to the book having their opinions and thoughts expressed.

So why not include a Fogerty song on the Elvis disc. Is there not anymore
live versions of Proud Mary in the vaults from early '70?

I too was surprised by the track list of the Elvis disc. I thought the demo of Otis Blackwell's "Make Me Know It" with a couple of the unreleased Elvis outtakes (there are still some left) on disc 1.

Or even a demo of "Fame and Fortune" with an unreleased outtake of Elvis'.

Oh well.

RKS

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:32 am

acording to tunzi proud mary was recorded in february 72, along with see see rider....would have loved to have these..

anyway, great release!

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:41 am

I'm just dying to hear the Heartbreak Hotel demo by Glenn Reeves !

I wonder how much Glenn's singing style influenced the Elvis version ?

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 am

Wow - what a surprise :D I think it is just great that the book will include a whole cd of unreleased multitrack live recordings by Elvis.
Including a cd with Elvis's versions of the demo songs would just mean that we would get a cd with stuff we already have, so I am all for the live cd instead.

Hopefully though, FTD will one day release a whole cd with multitrack recordings from Feb. 1972. Will be great to get both See See Rider and Proud Mary (as well as all the other songs recorded) from this Vegas season.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:30 am

Hopefully though, FTD will one day release a whole cd with multitrack recordings from Feb. 1972.

It would be nice to have these fantastic recordings in one place. But, there may not be enough variety for a full-scale release. Haven't looked at Sessions III in awhile....

Now only if there was a demo of Mr. Songman :smt035

Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:32 am

Looks like it'll be a great release, but I too am confused as to the selection of the LIVE material to accompany it. Makes no difference, I will be getting (and enjoying) it anyway with a tracklist of 69-72 multitrack recordings like that.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:15 am

Geez.... i just found out the cost for BOTH these FTD's in Australia!! A$179 :cry: i'll have to save up now!!! :roll:

Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:31 am

midnightx wrote:
Hopefully though, FTD will one day release a whole cd with multitrack recordings from Feb. 1972.

It would be nice to have these fantastic recordings in one place. But, there may not be enough variety for a full-scale release. Haven't looked at Sessions III in awhile....

Now only if there was a demo of Mr. Songman :smt035

If they mixed the material with studio the '72 material they may have enough to fill a whole disc with some alternates. I highly doubt they would have enough for a two disc set.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:21 am

Yeah, they're expensive in Aussie aye YDKM

Still, an exciting release. 400 PAGES, whooooo! I ahve asked mum to put this one on my christmas wishlist

And for the 1972 RCA recordings, we have the first professionally recorded versions of this season of Love me and Teddy bear/Don't be cruel. Can't say the whole tracklist is a real revelation, as they are probably similarly performed to other shows, but with Elvis, you never really know what will happen, so i'll give mum a hand in buying this one for Chrissy. Looking forward to it 8)

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:27 am

midnightx wrote:

During the 70s McCartney publicly voiced(or reported as) his desire to produce an album or session and I could guess some new material was to be provided if it had materialized.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:03 am

ColinB wrote:I'm just dying to hear the Heartbreak Hotel demo by Glenn Reeves !

I wonder how much Glenn's singing style influenced the Elvis version ?

I would hope and predict that it is very little...

These demos in the wrong hands can be used to hang Elvis again among the "What's so Special about Elvis?/ He didn't write any songs" brigade...

After all, some of those PJ Proby demos reveal that Elvis at times was inpersonating the guy who was impersonating him.... :oops: :shock: :evil: :roll: :?

The package sounds okay to me.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 am

Interesting...would love to get of course but i'm afraid the price might be too high for me..we'll see.

But what about those January 1977 Nashville demos (Energy, Let Me On etc.)??? I'm really interested in those, also songs that Elvis rehearsed but never cut like We Had It All? However this is a great release as it is and i'm already rooting for Volume 2. 8)

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 am

just had a bit of a look what we already had from 69-72 'live' and it seems all of the 24.8.69 m/s we had on the bootleg 'here i go again', from feb 1970 though we do get a lot of new tracks unlisted/undocumented from 16.2.70 d/s!, from Aug 70 we get 3 great unreleased tracks and from feb 72 we get again several unlisted/undocumented tracks from 14.2.72 m/s....so a bit of a mixed bag, certainly not all 'unreleased' but nevertheless enough to fill in a few 'gaps' and to be worth looking forward to! some of the 'unreleased' tracks from 1969 might be from either 25th or 26th August as some don't match the track-listing for that day given in sessions 3. :roll:

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:05 pm

This setting is really unexpected, but very welcome. The here i go again show is great, love to have them in proper stereo. I will listen to the demo cd, but i don't think it will make many rounds in my player. For the book there could be some interesting facts written. I have a book called Talking Elvis by Trevor Cajiao in the same style i guess, that one is pretty good.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:28 pm

Sorry guys, but i can't get too excited about this one, given the price.

We already have 3 complete shows from 69, the In Person Album and also the 3rd Collectors Gold CD, so I'm not sure I need to hear another version of Blue Suede Shoes,Hound Dog, All Shook Up, Love Me Tender etc. The new stuff from 72 will be good to hear, but as other have said, why not have Proud Mary, if it exists, rather than another throwaway Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel? In fact, we get 2 throwaways of don't be cruel - one with Jailhouse Rock, one with Teddy Bear.

The demos might be interesting to hear, but not for the cost of the overall package.

I'll pass on this, and catch up with 2 or 3 other FTD's for the same price.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Wow! This is really a surprise! I'm really looking forward to this release. 400 pages full of interesting stuff! I hope, this set will be released in time - because this is going to be my pre-holiday book this year :-)

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am shocked at the track listing for CD1.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:22 pm

Well - what a surprise.

I guess we had been preconditioned to expect some sort of connection between the Elvis CD & the demo CD. But, if there is, it's a bit vague to say the least.

Then again, maybe the rumours we had been fed for so many weeks were inaccurate and there is, in fact, no attempt to link the two CDs.