All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:01 pm

How the heck can you really expect me to recall that ? I do not know when I heard it. Maybe 1998 sometime I think for the first time and many subsequent times thereafter.

You think i see and hear only what I want to see and hear ?

Well I'll have to believe you on that to a point for only you would know what it is you think, me nor anyone else would have a clue as to what it is you think. You might be thinking something else though and just telling me that you think that hence I'll believe you to a point. You might think the world is flat as well, but again only you would know what you think and also it shows that no matter what anyone thinks, just because they think it doesn't make it factually correct.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:56 pm

Steve_M wrote:How the heck can you really expect me to recall that ? I do not know when I heard it. Maybe 1998 sometime I think for the first time and many subsequent times thereafter.

You think i see and hear only what I want to see and hear ?

Well I'll have to believe you on that to a point for only you would know what it is you think, me nor anyone else would have a clue as to what it is you think. You might be thinking something else though and just telling me that you think that hence I'll believe you to a point. You might think the world is flat as well, but again only you would know what you think and also it shows that no matter what anyone thinks, just because they think it doesn't make it factually correct.



I just asked you when Elvis sounds so great before entering the changing room?
You wrote that he sounded better so I'll guess you must have some kind of evidence to back up this fact with??
My question should be pretty easy to answer if you know what you are talking about.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Xaykev wrote:
Steve_M wrote:How the heck can you really expect me to recall that ? I do not know when I heard it. Maybe 1998 sometime I think for the first time and many subsequent times thereafter.

You think i see and hear only what I want to see and hear ?

Well I'll have to believe you on that to a point for only you would know what it is you think, me nor anyone else would have a clue as to what it is you think. You might be thinking something else though and just telling me that you think that hence I'll believe you to a point. You might think the world is flat as well, but again only you would know what you think and also it shows that no matter what anyone thinks, just because they think it doesn't make it factually correct.



I just asked you when Elvis sounds so great before entering the changing room?
You wrote that he sounded better so I'll guess you must have some kind of evidence to back up this fact with??
My question should be pretty easy to answer if you know what you are talking about.


It is very easy to answer any question. whether the answer is satifactory depends on the person who asked. My guess is that with you it won't ever be.
You didn't just ask me that, you suggested other things as well as asking other things.

You also did not ask me when Elvis sounded better. you asked:

And when did you hear him before he went into the dressing room?


You clearly asked me when it was that I heard him, not when it was that he said it.
Just to provide you with the evidence you seem to crave I've posted it for you.

I did write that he sounded better and the evidence would be his voice. Just realied that if i had to point that out to you then I have a feeling I'm wasting my time so in order to just patronize you:

I'm sure you're 110% right on whatever it is you say, whatever it is you're going to say and also you are right even if you aren't saying something or aren't going to say something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, quite, absolutely, yes indeed and that spotlight on Elvis backstage in the softer lighting as well as the non softer lighting most likely had the diesired effect on Elvis' voice and Dr Nick was merely a trophy and carried an empty bag around.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi everyone,
I've often wondered what the woman, whose interview clip they play during Are You Lonesome Tonite, thought of the show? She saw the Omaha show, and had described nearly catching him Dec 27, 1976, but having to miss that show. It's a shame because Elvis was on fire in late Dec of 76 (relatively speaking of course)

Mike

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:52 pm

I've often wondered what the woman, whose interview clip they play during Are You Lonesome Tonite, thought of the show?

She probably loved it. Most fans supported Elvis with blind devotion. Most were shocked when he died.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
Steve_M wrote:How the heck can you really expect me to recall that ? I do not know when I heard it. Maybe 1998 sometime I think for the first time and many subsequent times thereafter.

You think i see and hear only what I want to see and hear ?

Well I'll have to believe you on that to a point for only you would know what it is you think, me nor anyone else would have a clue as to what it is you think. You might be thinking something else though and just telling me that you think that hence I'll believe you to a point. You might think the world is flat as well, but again only you would know what you think and also it shows that no matter what anyone thinks, just because they think it doesn't make it factually correct.



I just asked you when Elvis sounds so great before entering the changing room?
You wrote that he sounded better so I'll guess you must have some kind of evidence to back up this fact with??
My question should be pretty easy to answer if you know what you are talking about.


It is very easy to answer any question. whether the answer is satifactory depends on the person who asked. My guess is that with you it won't ever be.
You didn't just ask me that, you suggested other things as well as asking other things.

You also did not ask me when Elvis sounded better. you asked:

And when did you hear him before he went into the dressing room?


You clearly asked me when it was that I heard him, not when it was that he said it.
Just to provide you with the evidence you seem to crave I've posted it for you.

I did write that he sounded better and the evidence would be his voice. Just realied that if i had to point that out to you then I have a feeling I'm wasting my time so in order to just patronize you:

I'm sure you're 110% right on whatever it is you say, whatever it is you're going to say and also you are right even if you aren't saying something or aren't going to say something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, quite, absolutely, yes indeed and that spotlight on Elvis backstage in the softer lighting as well as the non softer lighting most likely had the diesired effect on Elvis' voice and Dr Nick was merely a trophy and carried an empty bag around.


In other words...you have no back-up at all for the "facts" you were telling....
Case closed! 8)

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 pm

Xaykev wrote:In other words...you have no back-up at all for the "facts" you were telling....
Case closed!


I'm sure you're 110% right on whatever it is you say, whatever it is you're going to say and also you are right even if you aren't saying something or aren't going to say something.

Elvis' voice would normally be good enough as evidence for his voice. But that's not good enough for you and it's not required it seems. You are above evidence to the point you don't even see it and rule the heavens with your ways. Yes, you are God, carry on believing as you surely won't be told otherwise, or is that that you won't hear otherwise ?

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:01 pm

midnightx wrote:Most were shocked when he died.


Midnight... in all honesty who was NOT shocked when Elvis died... simply because it was Elvis...

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Slightly off the track but I wonder our perceptions of Elvis, as fans, would have differed had the special not have been filmed. We would base our perception of the last few months on the photos and recordings from that period. Despite the tragedy of the whole thing, it's an integral part of the Elvis story and I for one am pleased that we have the chance to view it, uncomfortable as it is.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:03 am

IMO an edited-together show would work well, sourced mostly from the Rapid City show, but with a few others (like Fairytale) brought in from Omaha. But I still think this should just be for the fans. In my experience, when the media get a hold of anything negative they thrash it and present it negatively to the general public.

Gotta run now, here comes Ger Rijff to tell us how pathetic we are for enjoying anything from Elvis in the 70's.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:52 am

Slightly off the track but I wonder our perceptions of Elvis, as fans, would have differed had the special not have been filmed. We would base our perception of the last few months on the photos and recordings from that period. Despite the tragedy of the whole thing, it's an integral part of the Elvis story and I for one am pleased that we have the chance to view it, uncomfortable as it is.

The footage would have been leaked out in the bootleg market. Fans would have seen the footage and the same argument would be taking place as it is now. The same group of people would be begging for an official release baffled that CBS never aired it.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:34 am

midnightx wrote:
Slightly off the track but I wonder our perceptions of Elvis, as fans, would have differed had the special not have been filmed. We would base our perception of the last few months on the photos and recordings from that period. Despite the tragedy of the whole thing, it's an integral part of the Elvis story and I for one am pleased that we have the chance to view it, uncomfortable as it is.

The footage would have been leaked out in the bootleg market. Fans would have seen the footage and the same argument would be taking place as it is now. The same group of people would be begging for an official release baffled that CBS never aired it.


Would have been a bit hard for CBS to have released it, "had the special not have been filmed."

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:49 am

Would have been a bit hard for CBS to have released it, "had the special not have been filmed."

Good point. :wink:

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:01 am

midnightx wrote:
Slightly off the track but I wonder our perceptions of Elvis, as fans, would have differed had the special not have been filmed. We would base our perception of the last few months on the photos and recordings from that period. Despite the tragedy of the whole thing, it's an integral part of the Elvis story and I for one am pleased that we have the chance to view it, uncomfortable as it is.

The footage would have been leaked out in the bootleg market. Fans would have seen the footage and the same argument would be taking place as it is now. The same group of people would be begging for an official release baffled that CBS never aired it.

Either you misunderstand, or I didn't present my point my point clearly enough. By had the special not have been filmed I am equating to what if there was no special and if Elvis had simply gone on another tour, which just happened to have been his last tour and there was no filmed evidence of the tour apart from a few ropy 8mm cine clips.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:16 am

elvis-fan wrote:
midnightx wrote:Most were shocked when he died.


Midnight... in all honesty who was NOT shocked when Elvis died... simply because it was Elvis...


Brad, there were a few people who were not surprised.
I think I recall Jerry Hopkins saying that he was asked by his publishers to get cracking on a follow up to his book "Elvis" because it was looking like Elvis was very ill and might not see the end of the year, though whether they were referring to 1976 or 1977 at the time I don't know.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:27 am

I think most people were shocked that he actually died, even if there were a few who really could see it coming. Most people didn't realise the state that Elvis was in. He became an irrelevancy. But people also took his presence for granted. His death must have been like a kick to the stomach.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:09 am

Cryogenic wrote:I think most people were shocked that he actually died, even if there were a few who really could see it coming. Most people didn't realise the state that Elvis was in. He became an irrelevancy. But people also took his presence for granted. His death must have been like a kick to the stomach.


Kick to the stomach does not even come close to describing that day. The only day that I can recall feeling more pain is when my father died.

Back then it was a lot easier to wear the rose colored glasses you refer to at times. It had not been long that I had saved up my allowance to buy Moody Blue. There was certainly nothing on that album that told me my guy was getting ready to kick the bucket. I dismissed the weekly rags akin to the weekly headlines that Ohio woman just gave birth to martian (complete with picture as evidence). Very easy to convince yourself that they were doctoring Elvis pictures to fit their agenda. To be honest I wouldn't have had it any other way. I needed my hero to stay intact even if I had to put on the specs.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:36 am

If the two concerts and the special as shown are ever released, I do not want an edit but the entire thing just as it was recorded. I don't want any spin doctors to get hold of it. Just as it was is just as it should be presented warts and all but only the true fan needs this not the general public. I would prefer that the general public keep the imprint of the image of Elvis as the guy who looked like a Prince from another planet.....thin as a rake.....and twice as handsome.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:40 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:If the two concerts and the special as shown are ever released, I do not want an edit but the entire thing just as it was recorded. I don't want any spin doctors to get hold of it. Just as it was is just as it should be presented warts and all but only the true fan needs this not the general public. I would prefer that the general public keep the imprint of the image of Elvis as the guy who looked like a Prince from another planet.....thin as a rake.....and twice as handsome.


You can pretty much bet the farm on the entire Omaha show NEVER-EVER seeing the light of day...

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:49 am

Hi,
It's interesting to have these back and forths about the release of these shows..however i don't think these will ever see the light of day in anything nearing their entirety except as a last ditch money making effort from EPE.
Mike

Really...they are NOT going to release this stuff past dribs and drabs.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:24 am

elvis-fan wrote:You can pretty much bet the farm on the entire Omaha show NEVER-EVER seeing the light of day...


Well, that's putting it a bit too strongly.

They were 'NEVER-EVER' going to release any Elvis expletives at one time......

What about when the well has run completely dry of all the other stuff....

I may not be around when it happens......... but I might just be watching and listening to the real thing by then !

.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:30 am

Glad to see you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior Colin. :wink:

Re: .

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:59 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Glad to see you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior Colin. :wink:


Well, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek, of course.............

But if heaven should be as good as the PR, you'd be able to time-shift and watch any performance again as it originally happened, wouldn't you ?

Now that would be worth repenting for.....

Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:12 pm

Deke Rivers II wrote:If the two concerts and the special as shown are ever released, I do not want an edit but the entire thing just as it was recorded. I don't want any spin doctors to get hold of it. Just as it was is just as it should be presented warts and all but only the true fan needs this not the general public. I would prefer that the general public keep the imprint of the image of Elvis as the guy who looked like a Prince from another planet.....thin as a rake.....and twice as handsome.


But the dreaded spin version you fear was what we saw when they broadcast the original special as shown. Things like a short clip from Can't Help Falling In Love inserted into the Teddy Bear Don't Be Cruel medley from Omaha just for no apparent reason.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:56 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Deke Rivers II wrote:If the two concerts and the special as shown are ever released, I do not want an edit but the entire thing just as it was recorded. I don't want any spin doctors to get hold of it. Just as it was is just as it should be presented warts and all but only the true fan needs this not the general public. I would prefer that the general public keep the imprint of the image of Elvis as the guy who looked like a Prince from another planet.....thin as a rake.....and twice as handsome.


But the dreaded spin version you fear was what we saw when they broadcast the original special as shown. Things like a short clip from Can't Help Falling In Love inserted into the Teddy Bear Don't Be Cruel medley from Omaha just for no apparent reason.


Yes I know and it was a travesty...I would only want it as a historical artifact.....the whole thing was a shocking sight. Personally I just wish all the pristine usable officially unreleased footage of That's The Way It Is would get a multiple DVD release or a worldwide televised performance with all the hoopla that it deserves! With all the clips I have seen on the net...I would love to have this material to watch.