All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Yes, the King Of Spades suit was kinder to him from the same tour.

but the whole "hair thing" as well - what was that all about ?

I thought Elvis looked pretty okay on the face of things when he got out of the car. The candid surprise he seemed to express to the camera made him appear relaxed and very natural.

The restictive sound of his voice in the dressing room and the strange look as if he was clueless as to what was going on became exagerated by having to see / hear all that whilst he looked so hideous.

Elvis in CBS' EIC shouldn't be released because of the rumoured reason "we see an ill man with 6 weeks left to live," but instead because we see a horror movie made by CBS where they've dressed up Elvis to look like he'd already been dead for 6 weeks - even the make up had a green hint to it !

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 am

[quote="Kylan"]no I do not agree that Aloha was flat and unexciting. so the EIC footage is inspiring and exciting? hardly! He can barely move, bloated, looking like warmed over death standing there passing out scarves to grannies? his "if you think im nervous, you're right" in that scared, weak childlike voice is incredibally heartbreaking to watch for those who care anything for the man. Elvis may not have moved much for Aloha due to circumstances that have been discussed ad nauseum but it wasn't due to being unhealthy. Elvis delievers a powerful dynamic show. You call "American Trilogy" flat and unexciting? Big Hunk? What Now My Love? Im So Lonesome I Could Cry? You Gave Me A Mountain?[/quote

What Were the circumstances for Elvis not moving much for Aloha. I am new to this board, so I dont know all these stories. I find it all very interesting. I am sorry for rehashing things that ya'll already know, but I appreciate your patience.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:29 am

Larry Dickman wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:The behind-the-scenes footage alone is heartbreaking. After Elvis receives the Medallion of Life from Monique, and considering how tired he looks, it's very uncomfortable watching him being dabbed and almost prodded by the makeup guy, again and again. It's like they were worried about his face cracking and falling off. The whole mood in that dressing room is so different to anything shown in TTWII. The contrast is evocative of a Shakespearean tragedy. Yet that footage is oddly compelling. The meeting between Elvis and Monique is interesting on a cultural level alone. And he is extremely sweet with that girl. Ultimately, the footage is what it is, and very sad at that.

Never thought I would see the day when I agree wholeheartedly with you.......but......some very poignant
words Cryo.......same goes for your first post on this topic......well said.

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Cryo, ever since you joined this board, you have been a true asset to it . Thoroughly enjoyed your informative posts. Well done mate :wink:

Thanks, guys!

It's really warmed my heart to see four people coming out and agreeing.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:35 am

Cryo, you are more than welcome :)

e76, welcome to the board. The reason that Elvis did not move that much in Aloha From Hawaii is because it was a HUGE event. Elvis was the first ever performer to be broadcast worldwide via satellite on television, a possible audience of 1.5 billion people, A QUARTER OF THE WORLDS POPULATION, could have been watching it. So Elvis was extremely nervous (would'nt you be), and was very careful with his voice and his movements, and always kept in mind the possible T.V audience.

Also, the rehearsal show from the night before shows a more losse and fun going Elvis, taking really not all that much care. Some still say he was not hiself, which is true. He had performed 100s of concerts, was tired of playing the same showroom in Las Vegas, and his inspiration was running thinner

But as Aloha stands my friend, it was his greatest triumph, and he met it head on and did it brilliantly.

PS: Am very envious that you got to see Elvis in concert, even in his not so good period.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:24 pm

"Bonus points if you can guess the source of my quotation."

Is George Lucas involved?

:lol:

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Yes, the King Of Spades suit was kinder to him from the same tour.

I do prefer that suit, but the pictures from Kansas City are even worse that the CBS shows :(

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:45 pm

I have footage from the Kansas City show and he looks horrible...

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:I have footage from the Kansas City show and he looks horrible...

I would suggest that that is down to the quality of the footage looking horrible not Elvis, or rather the multi generation derived from a VCD of a VHS transfer of what was originally only 8mm in the first place.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Kansas City performance June 18, 1977

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Steve_M wrote:Well I think there is a mystery. It is as follows:

Why did they make Elvis look and act worse for stage than when he was off it ?

If there is a relevant answer to that then you're right, there's no mystery. But whilst I and others find it mysterious then I think there must be a mystery for it to be mysterious.

Drugs (injected, injested or otherwise), his complexion was pale and the fact that he had a hair stylist (Geller) and a makeup artist (?) who didn't know what the hell they were doing... no mystery.

Also, for someone to claim that Elvis' habitual drug habit had nothing to do with his constant change in appearance knows little or nothing about how different medications react with the human body... (this comment is not directed at you Steve)

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Xaykev wrote:We must not forget that the stage lightning has a lot to say when it comes to how Elvis looked on stage compared to off stage.
Please don't try to create a myth here...like Dr. Nick fed Elvis with some pills etc :roll: ..and that's why he looked better off stage than on.

I think it is as simple as that...the stage lightning weren't as forgiving as the light backstage. Elvis was also a bit more relaxed.
People at this forum have some strange opinions sometimes...like they want things to be a mystery :lol:

Stage lighting ? The whole arena was lit for the CBS taping, this wasn't stage isolated stage lighting. He was better lit on the stage than he was having just got out of the car.

I don't want to create a myth that Dr Nick fed Elvis pills I want that to be a known bloody fact that Dr Nick fed Elvis pills. Dr Nick is on record as well confessing to having fed Elvis pills.

I don't have an opinion on why Elvis and those around him chose for him to look worse on stage than off it, strange or otherwise.
I would like to form an opinion on this but in order to form a calculated opinion i need to find some answers to something that mystifys me, why did they operate this policy ? not just for CBS (so that throws the "lighting theory out the window) but for many shows especially in 1977.

Next I'll be hearing that the man who at times couldn't barely move on stage in front of the public in 1977 without wincing in pain was able to run around playing football in private whilst on vacation in Hawaii. Bah-ha-hah, I know, I have a vivid imagination, maybe it was the Hawaiian lighting....

So you believe that Elvis had the same spotlight on him as the audience :D ???
You must be joking...
Look at Elvis in the middle of I Really Don't Wanna Know....look at the spotlight....is that the same light as in the rest of the hall??
Look how the spotlight make Elvis look different.
The light backstage is much softer, much more forgiving than the spotlight on stage.

And yes, I DO know about the drugs.
But I don't think Dr. Nick fed Elvis with drugs during the minutes the door is closed backstage.
Don't let your imagination become the truth.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:47 pm

But I don't think Dr. Nick fed Elvis with drugs during the minutes the door is closed backstage.

So he did it back at the hotel? Either way, don't be foolish, Elvis' drug intake was an essential pre-concert ingredient in 1977.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:25 am

Xaykev wrote:
Steve_M wrote:
Xaykev wrote:We must not forget that the stage lightning has a lot to say when it comes to how Elvis looked on stage compared to off stage.
Please don't try to create a myth here...like Dr. Nick fed Elvis with some pills etc :roll: ..and that's why he looked better off stage than on.

I think it is as simple as that...the stage lightning weren't as forgiving as the light backstage. Elvis was also a bit more relaxed.
People at this forum have some strange opinions sometimes...like they want things to be a mystery :lol:

Stage lighting ? The whole arena was lit for the CBS taping, this wasn't stage isolated stage lighting. He was better lit on the stage than he was having just got out of the car.

I don't want to create a myth that Dr Nick fed Elvis pills I want that to be a known bloody fact that Dr Nick fed Elvis pills. Dr Nick is on record as well confessing to having fed Elvis pills.

I don't have an opinion on why Elvis and those around him chose for him to look worse on stage than off it, strange or otherwise.
I would like to form an opinion on this but in order to form a calculated opinion i need to find some answers to something that mystifys me, why did they operate this policy ? not just for CBS (so that throws the "lighting theory out the window) but for many shows especially in 1977.

Next I'll be hearing that the man who at times couldn't barely move on stage in front of the public in 1977 without wincing in pain was able to run around playing football in private whilst on vacation in Hawaii. Bah-ha-hah, I know, I have a vivid imagination, maybe it was the Hawaiian lighting....

So you believe that Elvis had the same spotlight on him as the audience :D ???
You must be joking...
Look at Elvis in the middle of I Really Don't Wanna Know....look at the spotlight....is that the same light as in the rest of the hall??
Look how the spotlight make Elvis look different.
The light backstage is much softer, much more forgiving than the spotlight on stage.

And yes, I DO know about the drugs.
Don't let your imagination become the truth.

Oh dear.

The spotlight used in I Really dont Want to Know was used sparingly and not all the time during the show. See the long shots during the show to see that there is no spotlight on the stage most of the time.

Dr Nick was there as Dr Nick no matter how long the door was closed for. Must have been some time, maybe 30 minutes or so for all that make up to be applied at least. Dr Nick has confessed to giving Elvis pre show drugs. Whether he did or not only Dr Nick and elvis would know. all i know is that Dr Nick confessed to doing so.

The lighting backstage is much softer ?

Okay, I'll but that.

Why did Elvis look much better BACKSTAGE in the SOFTER LIGHTING before he went into the dressing room than he did BACKSTAGE in the SOFTER LIGHTING after he came out of the dressing room ?

Why did he sound so much better (can't wait to hear how this lighting affected his voice) before he went into the dressing room than after he was stage dressed for the concert ?

And that'll be £100 GBP or the equivelant in Euros or $US for the last bit please. Though if I was to comply with your deamnd (I usually consider requests only unless the price is just too good to turn down) I'd faind it hard as I imagine one day to have an On Tour SE release from Turner. You are telling me to not let my imagination become the truth ? Oh dear, I think you'll upset a lot of fans with that kind of approach.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:46 am

Let's not get too carried away regarding conspiracies and dark doings. While there is a shady side to EIC, there is a shady side to almost anything, especially involving the rich and famous. EIC is a sad, but fascinating, document, featuring a man in decline. But how much decline is unclear. While nothing can be ruled out, only a handful of things are actually true. We all know Elvis had a severe drug addiction, a weight problem, which was at least partially tied to the drug addiction, clinical depression and other conditions and ailments. But the EIC footage is also inadvertently unflattering in a number of other respects. I am going to explore these aspects, to a limited degree, through a kind of "picture essay". Come join the ride.

Firstly, every image here comes from the final chapter on Disc 1 of "Elvis By The Presleys". Although this documentary is heavily skewed, if you haven't got it, get moving! It's very thorough, if still superficial, and features lots of great footage, photos and various excerpts of one kind or another. You'll probably have seen and heard many of them before, but some are new, and the way it's all put together makes for fascinating, if flawed, viewing.

Secondly, every image has been downsized to a more reasonable 400 pixels width for easier viewing.

Thirdly, all editing/enhancing was done in Paint Shop Pro 7. I'll talk more about this last point as we go.

OK. Let's begin. Here are eight shots from EIC. They have all been tweaked to some extent using Paint Shop Pro. I have not altered any aspect of the pictures in isolation; in other words, all the filters I have applied have been applied to the entire image. Nothing has been painted in, cut out or modified. These *are* the original images -- just enhanced for clarity and aesthetic appeal. I am sure you'll agree that there are some great shots here...

... and maybe some not-so-great shots. You'll have noticed that Elvis looks a little "orange" in shots #4, #5 and #6. This is where Steve's makeup charge comes in. Whatever was applied to his face was deeply ineffective. But they probably wanted to avoid his face looking pale. He didn't look great in EOT for this reason, though he certainly appeared in better shape, and better health, than EIC. Would he have appeared better with less makeup in EIC? Almost certainly. It was a question of "how much?". They went too far.

Unfortunately, the EIC footage has a sickly greeny/brown tint to it, which when combined with pinky fleshtones, produces some unpleasant results. Let's take a look at that.

Here is Elvis psyching himself backstage. The first image is completely unaltered; the second has been enhanced in Paint Shop Pro. I altered contrast, brightness and saturation values in the second. I also changed the color balance and the channel mix. I basically swung the image from green into both a warmer red and cooler blue feel. It looks more modern and more natural this way. The red look on the wall is *certainly* more consistent with EPE's Deluxe Editions of Aloha and the Comeback Special. But we'll get to that later.

Question: Whose skin looks worse there? Elvis' or Joe's?

Now we'll move on to a more significant example regarding colour tone. The first shot is unaltered; I have applied a "One Step Photo Fix" on the second. A "One Step Photo Fix" is a meta-filter in Paint Shop Pro that changes a load of things in one go: contrast, brightness, saturation, color balance. It even sharpens the image slightly. I have modified this filter ever so slightly by taking out "edge smoothing". That's not really important to the discussion, but if anyone wants to copy my results, they need to bear that in mind. The "One Step Photo Fix" makes images far more impactful. I used it earlier on those first eight images I presented. But it can also result in a video-ish look. In other words: the image on the bottom is a better approximation of how Elvis looks in many poor quality bootleg copies out there.

His skin is horrible. He looks like he's been dead for a week. His skin is almost *green*. This is what affects people's judgement of EIC. They say they see a "dead man" on stage. Well, no crap: Elvis did die, afterall. But they clearly mean he *already* looks dead. And it's hard to disagree.

But his skin is a combination of that horrible makeup and the nature of the source material. Watch what happens as I swing the footage round. The top image is the same as the previous "One Step Photo Fix" with a change in colour balance. There is now less green in there. The bottom image is the same as the top with an additional change in colour mix. There is less green still. Am I cheating? Not really. The *whole* image has been filtered, not just part of it. And, as you can see from my comments on the "backstage" photo with Elvis and Joe Esposito, the source material is "green heavy". I have simply introduced more natural tones.

We're getting somewhere. But shots like this are destined to remain unflattering. Technically, I think the unaltered image is actually the *best* in this case, even though the footage, because of the green tint, makes everything and everyone appear boring and drab. Now, just out of interest, I decided to "paint" over Elvis and see what he'd have looked like with a better makeup job. This isn't a perfect piece of work from me, but it should give you some idea. Incidentally, this is an example of me altering a specific part of the image. So I literally *have* tampered with the image in a "cheating" way. But remember: it's just for show.

Don't shoot me: he's still a little brown. It still looks like makeup. But I couldn't get a complete match. My skills are limited. Unfortunately, the makup man's were *more* limited. So this image is not amazing, but there is a change. Now go back and compare *that* to the very first unaltered image of this shot. Well, no. Elvis actually *doesn't* look too bad in that unaltered image. So go back and compare this to the one to the bottom of that: the first "One Step Photo Fix" image that I said approximates the awful video copies out there. Elvis is *way* different.

I want to go back to the "backstage" image now. How did Elvis change over time? It's useful to bring in an image of his younger self: his twenty-years-younger self.

There's not actually a profound difference. Not beyond what twenty extra years of being alive typically does to a person. Elvis' neck and shoulders are hardly any bigger in the EIC image. Well, OK, his neck is somewhat bloated, but he's hardly a beefburger. He has certainly gained weight, but it isn't a catastrophic amount. Not for a 42 year old man suffering problems. The reality does not match the myth. If anything, Elvis' shoulders have stayed the same or even shrunk! His jumpsuit really does him no favours at all. It's a hideous, sagging mess. Look how it droops off his shoulders! Look how creased it is. With or without my enhancements, it also looks damp and dirty. It's a visual slur. Though it appropriately matches the man wearing it. There is a poetry to it. But it *is* awfully kept. Compare this to the "American Eagle" of Aloha. There is a world of difference!

But all of that may seem like a white-washing. Elvis *was* in a weakened mental and physical state. He truly *did* have health problems. Unfortunately, he also had eye surgery that he was advised against. Anything to make himself feel better. Unfortunately, it didn't actually make him *look* better. Elvis' eyes were some of the most distinctive eyes on the planet. And a person's identity rests very much in their eyes. Change them and you change the person. Or the outward perception by others *of* that person. Same with Elvis. His eyelids no longer curved downward and his eye sockets appeared hollowed out. They matched the man, but they destroyed the natural beauty that gave rise to the *image*. After the surgey, sometimes, he looked good, and other times, he looked bad. But he *never* quite looked like ELVIS PRESLEY ever again. This alone gives off the impression of watching a "different person", which is more or less synonymous with a "dying person", simply because it's Elvis, and simply because he *did* have problems and *did* overdose shortly after. A very unfortunate occurence. Like his makeup job. What is going on here?

It looks like Elvis' eyelashes are growing about an inch below his actual eyes. Or that someone put the mascara in the wrong place. Or that it ran. I decided to do another paint job. The image on the top is unaltered, except for the fact that it's only *part* of the image (i.e. I cut it out/cropped the rest) and a basic "One Step Photo Fix" filter was applied, which are two things I did to the above images. The image on the bottom features a little tweaking. I replaced the faulty mascara shadow (or whatever it actually is) with proper skin. Judge for yourself.

Here is a shot from Aloha. This ain't quite right, either. I don't know if you've noticed, but both the Aloha and the Comeback Special 2004 DVDs have reddish tints (the Comeback Special is ridiculous in many parts). However, the jumpsuit is considerably more striking, not only for the design, and not only because Elvis is in better shape, but because it's in pristine condition. The EIC jumpsuit had already been worn several dozen times that year. Look how rumpled it is along the shoulders. It had really taken a battering! And it showed in the captured footage. Elvis just didn't care about that, unfortunately, just as he didn't care about a lot of things. There is certainly a tragic element to EIC, and only a fool would deny that, but I beg to differ with those who say it shouldn't be released. The following images are unaltered.

Can you see what I mean about the sickening green tint? It's almost as if EPE left it that way deliberately. Maybe the cameras weren't calibrated for backstage, maybe there was a strange lighting rig, maybe the footage has decayed, or maybe it simply needed colour-correcting all along. Trust me: EPE *ruined* the transfer of the Comeback Special. It certainly looks sharp, as sharp as Snazzy Pants Presley himself, but the colour balance is terrible. The PAL version is also vertically stretched. And that's meant to be their pride and joy. There is precedent. But that's another discussion. Anyway, if you still think I'm white-washing, let's pose a question: would the man at the top recognise the man below? There was a clearly a significant change, even between 1973 and 1977, when he had already slid into depression. It's a sad tale, but sad tales deserve to be told. EIC is the final chapter in an incredible legacy. Some of Freddie Mercury's finest and most moving work came out of Queen when he was dying of AIDS. John Wayne gave a brilliant performance as a man dying of cancer in "The Shootist" when he was... dying of cancer. You may say that John Wayne was an old man, but Freddie wasn't. Some legends die before their time. But they're legends because they put on an incredible show while they were here. Freddie sang "the show must go on". And that was Elvis' thinking. Right to the bitter end.

That about wraps things up.

eye surgery

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:06 am

When did Elvis have the surgery? Was it cosmetic or for medical reasons, because I know he did have alot of eye problems. But I agree, he did have beautiful eyes before he got so sick.

Re: eye surgery

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:17 am

e76 wrote:When did Elvis have the surgery? Was it cosmetic or for medical reasons, because I know he did have alot of eye problems. But I agree, he did have beautiful eyes before he got so sick.

He had his surgery done in 1975. Cyrogenic, your contributions to this thread have been not only magnificent, but compassionate as well.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:42 am

Robert wrote:

The dialogues are struggling in Rapid City, and Elvis noticed that too.
(I can sing but i can't talk, just like Mell Tellis-whoever that is :wink: )

No, that's Mel Tillis that Elvis referred to, a country and western singer who had some major chart success at the time. Tillis was famed for his stutter when tried to speak (best seen for comic effect on variety TV shows at the time) but he could sing the hell out a song in a deep mournful way akin to the legendary George Jones. I think he's still around.

I tend to agree that this subject is totally flogged but I did enjoy some of the comments of Shane and Cryo. It's gotten to the point where a few key thread topics ought to be made "sticky" (up top) so that anyone having random thoughts on this or that subject (say, the top 5 most popular subjects over time) rather than start anew each time....

Steve, I'd like to check out your clips again sometime. The work you had shown us here some time ago was to be applauded. I assume some of it is still on your site.

I have a so-called "Special Edition" re-edit boot of EIC that succeeds the way some have said and I assume the "Love Coming Down" DVD by Star is also-a-must buy. I'm just satiated for awhile in seeing this sad footage...

For those who've missed it, in addition to the widely-available bootleg sources of all of the tapes, you can download the "EIC" special's footage courtesy of Jordan's excellent site:

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/video/

"Elvis In Concert - CBS Special 2006 Edition"

Source is apparently direct from the CBS master copy. The best quality that has ever been seen! Crystal Clear!

File Size: 86MB Length: Over 50 minutes
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:48 am

Fantastic, thoroughly insightive post Cryo. Some people make themselves worse as they stay on this board longer(me included), but it looks like with your contributions, you can only go up from here. Very well done, i salute you 8)

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:56 am

Cryo wrote:

The behind-the-scenes footage alone is heartbreaking. After Elvis receives the Medallion of Life from Monique, and considering how tired he looks, it's very uncomfortable watching him being dabbed and almost prodded by the makeup guy, again and again. It's like they were worried about his face cracking and falling off. The whole mood in that dressing room is so different to anything shown in TTWII. The contrast is evocative of a Shakespearean tragedy. Yet that footage is oddly compelling. The meeting between Elvis and Monique is interesting on a cultural level alone. And he is extremely sweet with that girl. Ultimately, the footage is what it is, and very sad at that.

And it was used to a similiar, great effect in "This Is Elvis."

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:10 am

Image Just add blue...but not as much as I did and will counter balance .....

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:24 pm

Thanks Cryo for all your work on this topic. It is also a fascinating subject that comes up here often and always elicits wide and varied opinion.
rick

Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Don't add blue JLGB.

It's the green that needs subtracting not another color adding, it makes it over staurated.

You need to take green down by 6% to correct it. (If your color settings are set mid range to 50 take it down to 47. If at 0 take it down top -6.

Those shots weren't where I was coming from Cryo re the make up, it was specificly My Way (think you may have used a screen shot on one occasion from that) where you can see the line on the neck where the scarves have rubbed it away.

The color change you made to try and make Elvis look better is a similar one CBS used for their broadcast in 1977. If you compare the VHS recordings made at the time you will see that CBS were not happpy with this "green look" that they gave to Elvis and they altered the color balance. This is now annoying because so many fans have come to think that this is how Elvis looked when the reality is "worse" which doesn't bode well either for a DVD release.

I have noticed that on some of the clips used on DVD they have over compensated back on the green (too far as some blacks now have a green tint) and they have over staurated the color by up to around 8%.

I have spent a few hundred hours (that's not an exageration) with all of the footage that fans know of shot by CBS to make up the the shows using the best respective clips that have been released. Trying to get the color to be as close from one, say the out takes, to another at the other end of the spectrum, like the DVD quality, is an impossible task.

I took the DVD of Unchained Melody where that yellow CD symbol flashes across the screen giving the title of the song etc and managed to remove it using the out takes footage over it, but only on the lower half to cover the yellow CD symbol up. This was a classic case of needing to get the color to be similar because of the desire to not see the join.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Cryogenic wrote:There's not actually a profound difference. Not beyond what twenty extra years of being alive typically does to a person. Elvis' neck and shoulders are hardly any bigger in the EIC image. Well, OK, his neck is somewhat bloated, but he's hardly a beefburger. He has certainly gained weight, but it isn't a catastrophic amount. Not for a 42 year old man suffering problems. The reality does not match the myth. If anything, Elvis' shoulders have stayed the same or even shrunk! His jumpsuit really does him no favours at all. It's a hideous, sagging mess. Look how it droops off his shoulders! Look how creased it is. With or without my enhancements, it also looks damp and dirty. It's a visual slur. Though it appropriately matches the man wearing it. There is a poetry to it. But it *is* awfully kept. Compare this to the "American Eagle" of Aloha. There is a world of difference!

Agree 100%.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Steve_M wrote:Don't add blue JLGB.

It's the green that needs subtracting not another color adding, it makes it over staurated.

You need to take green down by 6% to correct it. (If your color settings are set mid range to 50 take it down to 47. If at 0 take it down top -6.

Those shots weren't where I was coming from Cryo re the make up, it was specificly My Way (think you may have used a screen shot on one occasion from that) where you can see the line on the neck where the scarves have rubbed it away.

The color change you made to try and make Elvis look better is a similar one CBS used for their broadcast in 1977. If you compare the VHS recordings made at the time you will see that CBS were not happpy with this "green look" that they gave to Elvis and they altered the color balance. This is now annoying because so many fans have come to think that this is how Elvis looked when the reality is "worse" which doesn't bode well either for a DVD release.

I have noticed that on some of the clips used on DVD they have over compensated back on the green (too far as some blacks now have a green tint) and they have over staurated the color by up to around 8%.

I have spent a few hundred hours (that's not an exageration) with all of the footage that fans know of shot by CBS to make up the the shows using the best respective clips that have been released. Trying to get the color to be as close from one, say the out takes, to another at the other end of the spectrum, like the DVD quality, is an impossible task.

I took the DVD of Unchained Melody where that yellow CD symbol flashes across the screen giving the title of the song etc and managed to remove it using the out takes footage over it, but only on the lower half to cover the yellow CD symbol up. This was a classic case of needing to get the color to be similar because of the desire to not see the join.
Thanks Steve..Good advice with video is the same with mixing in sound. It is better (if you can) to lower some instruments to highlight one instead of raising a particular level of a loud (oversaturated in film,video) recording etc....Thanks again :)

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:29 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Oh dear.

The spotlight used in I Really dont Want to Know was used sparingly and not all the time during the show. See the long shots during the show to see that there is no spotlight on the stage most of the time.

Dr Nick was there as Dr Nick no matter how long the door was closed for. Must have been some time, maybe 30 minutes or so for all that make up to be applied at least. Dr Nick has confessed to giving Elvis pre show drugs. Whether he did or not only Dr Nick and elvis would know. all i know is that Dr Nick confessed to doing so.

The lighting backstage is much softer ?

Okay, I'll but that.

Why did Elvis look much better BACKSTAGE in the SOFTER LIGHTING before he went into the dressing room than he did BACKSTAGE in the SOFTER LIGHTING after he came out of the dressing room ?

Why did he sound so much better (can't wait to hear how this lighting affected his voice) before he went into the dressing room than after he was stage dressed for the concert ?

And that'll be £100 GBP or the equivelant in Euros or $US for the last bit please. Though if I was to comply with your deamnd (I usually consider requests only unless the price is just too good to turn down) I'd faind it hard as I imagine one day to have an On Tour SE release from Turner. You are telling me to not let my imagination become the truth ? Oh dear, I think you'll upset a lot of fans with that kind of approach.

I don't know why you think Elvis looked and sounded better before compared to after he went into the dressing room.
You think Elvis sounded better before he went into the dressing room??
Listen to Trying To Get To You then....that was AFTER he went into the dressing room wasn't it??? :wink:
And when did you hear him before he went into the dressing room? You mean the joke about the candid camera...that is when Elvis sounded sooo good??? :D
I can't wait to hear your answer on that question 8) .
I think you see and hear what you want to see and hear.
And that certainly doesn't make it a fact.