All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:45 pm

Interesting thoughts Shane, I for one was always against the release of Elvis In Concert until a friend sent me a copy of "Love Coming Down" which has been edited into a "Best of Elvis In Concert" with all the embarrasing bits cut out, as you state you can see Elvis is actually enjoying himself, rolling his eyes several times at members of his backing singers and having fun with Kathy at the end of Hawaiian Wedding Song", It's made me change my outlook on the subject and believe that, with the correct editing, Elvis In Concert could be made into a great DVD

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:04 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Interesting thoughts Shane, I for one was always against the release of Elvis In Concert until a friend sent me a copy of "Love Coming Down" which has been edited into a "Best of Elvis In Concert" with all the embarrasing bits cut out, as you state you can see Elvis is actually enjoying himself, rolling his eyes several times at members of his backing singers and having fun with Kathy at the end of Hawaiian Wedding Song", It's made me change my outlook on the subject and believe that, with the correct editing, Elvis In Concert could be made into a great DVD

I dont think it was the idea for a ''Best Of Elvis''. Star edited it in the most complete way.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:04 pm

I have written my opinion on this subject before.
Of course EIC could be a very, very good DVD.
A lot of the songs are performed well, some of the songs are even my personal favorites (My Way, Hurt, I Really Dont Wanna Know, I Got A Woman, Trying To Get To You, Unchained Melody).
I think a EIC-DVD that is made in the right way certainly could be a favorite DVD of mine.

That Elvis is looking tired doesnt matter...it kind of fits in the to Elvis-story now. A DVD would at least show people that Elvis still could sing and entertain people - even right up to the end.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:26 pm

If you watch "Elvis In Concert" in a good quality, you can easily notice that Elvis didn't look yellow or something like that. He is quite pale and plastered with makeup, but he didn't look nearly as bad as the bad picture quality of the outtakes makes you believe. I guess if EIC was edited well and presented in a perfect picture and sound quality most fans would be surprised how much better Elvis looked than we all thought he would.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:10 am

With the proper editing, this show can be salvaged. It by no means compares to anything he was doing from 1969 to 1973, buts the concert's exceedingly negative reputation clouds the better moments, of which there are plenty. "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" is actually a very tender recitation, complete with acoustic guitar (and yes, there is a microphone to capture his playing). Or am I thinking of Omaha? One of them is a disaster (the one with Charlie Hodge holding a mike); the other is not. Elvis deliberately fluffed the spoken bridge and had fun with it. This goes all the way back to the 1968 Comeback Special! That said, one has to wonder if his medication/poison exacerbates his feined forgetfulness and inarticulate manner, particularly on the "ppppp.... plus tax" moment. There are other assured performances. "Hawaiian Wedding Song" is a noted favourite of mine. "Unchained Melody" is simply magnificent. Elvis' actual appearance throughout the concert is skewed by and a product of lighting, poor makeup, sweat, terrible sideburns, messy hair, weight, bloatedness, ill health and his eye op. The result ain't pretty. I am very sorry to say, but Elvis almost looks monstrous in some angles. Repeat: some. Other angles are more flattering. But this isn't exactly flattering or comforting material. A sharp juxtaposition in a recent video I was watching between a late 60's/early70's Elvis and the EIC Elvis as he was performing "My Way" nearly knocked me out of my seat. He looked bad. Worn, weary, tired, wanting a break. All of which he was and needed.

Ultimately, the arguments are valid on both sides, I've come to realise. Omaha is the big stinker. Rapid City is a little more tolerable, at the very least. With tasteful and careful editing, the two could be fused and a good product could be born. The editing itself could even be a little artistic, but not too ornate, bringing some weaker moments to life in a new way. That said, I don't like the idea of hiding and sweeping away the truly bad moments, for that is a denial of history, and strips the Elvis Aaron Presley story of the scope and context it needs. If the darkest moments are not embraced and forgotten, then you have nothing to contrast the good against, and no roadmap for charting the decline of EP or the personality that shaped his music. A person's life is a complex tapestry, and while it can't all be celebrated, it should all be recognised and studied. I'll finish with a quotation from my favourite philosophical source: "If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects..."

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:19 am

Incredible that so-called fans still speak as EIC is 1 concert....
it is a huge difference between Omaha and Rapid City....!

You should all know this by now!!!!

Rapid City is in fact a pretty good '77 concert.
Omaha was a disaster, but Elvis still made some good performances.
And his humor was great in Omaha :D

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:52 am

Shane and Cryogenic - thanks for your posts. Some good points.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:01 am

Some interesting posts here, gentlemen! I find the In Concert tapes heroic and tragic, ugly and beautiful, great and catastrophic, all at the same time. No one can watch it without being moved in one way or the other, that's for sure

dl wrote:If you watch "Elvis In Concert" in a good quality, you can easily notice that Elvis didn't look yellow or something like that. He is quite pale and plastered with makeup, but he didn't look nearly as bad as the bad picture quality of the outtakes makes you believe. I guess if EIC was edited well and presented in a perfect picture and sound quality most fans would be surprised how much better Elvis looked than we all thought he would.

I've said so before, and I'll say it again - even though Elvis looked pretty bad in June '77, most non-fans or even casual fans think he looked even worse. A 300 pound cheeseburger monster. So a DVD release wouldn't damage his reputation one bit. Because, as Shane Brown said, he was working hard, and was giving more of himself than he was in "Aloha", where he was giving us the myth, the legend. Not the man.

What I can't understand about the original production is why the stage (and auditorium) had to be so brightly lit. "Aloha" and especially "Elvis On Tour" were a lot darker. And why o why did they slap that orange makeup on the poor man? If they were worried about how he looked, why didn't they use softer lights instead?

Last but not least, next year will see a 2-disc release of This Is Elvis, which means we'll get two EIC tracks, and maybe more as bonus material. Today it feels almost unreal to think that I once watched "My Way" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight" on a huge cinema screen. It wasn't easy to watch, but it was Elvis at the end of his life, singing his heart out for us, as he always had.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:44 am

Every few months, this topic rolls around. There are those who want it released officially and those who do not. The boot DVD's are fine with me.

There are no new thoughts here. Everything has been discussed before and this will turn into a huge debate. It won't be too long before another thread comes out with more "new thoughts."
Last edited by Rob on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:00 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Some interesting posts here, gentlemen! I find the In Concert tapes heroic and tragic, ugly and beautiful, great and catastrophic, all at the same time. No one can watch it without being moved in one way or the other, that's for sure

dl wrote:If you watch "Elvis In Concert" in a good quality, you can easily notice that Elvis didn't look yellow or something like that. He is quite pale and plastered with makeup, but he didn't look nearly as bad as the bad picture quality of the outtakes makes you believe. I guess if EIC was edited well and presented in a perfect picture and sound quality most fans would be surprised how much better Elvis looked than we all thought he would.

I've said so before, and I'll say it again - even though Elvis looked pretty bad in June '77, most non-fans or even casual fans think he looked even worse. A 300 pound cheeseburger monster. So a DVD release wouldn't damage his reputation one bit. Because, as Shane Brown said, he was working hard, and was giving more of himself than he was in "Aloha", where he was giving us the myth, the legend. Not the man.

What I can't understand about the original production is why the stage (and auditorium) had to be so brightly lit. "Aloha" and especially "Elvis On Tour" were a lot darker. And why o why did they slap that orange makeup on the poor man? If they were worried about how he looked, why didn't they use softer lights instead?

Last but not least, next year will see a 2-disc release of This Is Elvis, which means we'll get two EIC tracks, and maybe more as bonus material. Today it feels almost unreal to think that I once watched "My Way" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight" on a huge cinema screen. It wasn't easy to watch, but it was Elvis at the end of his life, singing his heart out for us, as he always had.

oh give it a rest dude!!! so because he looked relatively good and healthy for Aloha, and was an amazing one time concert event, he's supposed to be chided because he was shortchanging giving us just image and myth? but he's applauded to come out looking like near death when he should have been in ICU?? seriously get a grip!!! sorry fella but comments like that send me up the wall!!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 am

I knew it would lead to this. I tried to tell you.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 am

Rob wrote:I knew it would lead to this. I tried to tell you.

lol well i cant help it! that kinda stuff drives me bananas!!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:23 am

yeah i know what he's saying and i strongly disagree.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:36 am

no I do not agree that Aloha was flat and unexciting. so the EIC footage is inspiring and exciting? hardly! He can barely move, bloated, looking like warmed over death standing there passing out scarves to grannies? his "if you think im nervous, you're right" in that scared, weak childlike voice is incredibally heartbreaking to watch for those who care anything for the man. Elvis may not have moved much for Aloha due to circumstances that have been discussed ad nauseum but it wasn't due to being unhealthy. Elvis delievers a powerful dynamic show. You call "American Trilogy" flat and unexciting? Big Hunk? What Now My Love? Im So Lonesome I Could Cry? You Gave Me A Mountain?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:02 am

shanebrown wrote:I am not in any way sticking up for the fact that Elvis in Concert should be released or is the best way to see Elvis - or one that I would prefer to see. But Aloha was the opportunity for Elvis to prove was he could do as he did in 68. I see little cause for excitement except for the flashiness of the event. There is nothing there which wasn't in any other show during the year before. He didnt change his act, didn't learn new songs. Cruised through too many of them. Yes, there were the highlights you mention, but the rest is uninspired.

Is EIC inspired? Of course not. All I was saying was that, under the circumstances, he was making more of an effort than he was 4 years ago.

I have to disagree with your notion that Aloha was somehow to prove he could do the same as he did in 68. I kind of know what you mean but by Jan 73 he was a different kind of performer. He didn't have to prove anything at that point in his life I don't believe. where is the effort in the 77 footage? other then if u call effort just trying to put on some kind of show in that condition? to me, thats not to be applauded, its unwise at best. I appreciate that he still wanted to be out there, and entertain and get paid as well, take ur pick his motivation for being out there but he should have not been out there. He just didn't take care of himself.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:38 am

What was IS... history has spoken...

The CBS Special concerts should be released for fans that want to see it.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:02 am

JEFF d wrote:What was IS... history has spoken...

JEFF d
EAP fan

Hear! Hear!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:36 am

Larry Dickman wrote:
JEFF d wrote:What was IS... history has spoken...

JEFF d
EAP fan

Hear! Hear!

Ill make you a tape and send it to ya! :lol:

Re: Rapid City, June 21st 1977. Some new thoughts

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:37 am

shanebrown wrote:...Yes, the cock-up in Are You Lonesome Tonight is like watching a train wreck...

We've discussed this before, and it's a minor point, I know, but I don't believe Elvis screwed this up as much as he played it up. Sure, he tripped on the lyrics, but we're mostly seeing his self-mockery at work with that song, and not a "train wreck." There were many of those in his final years, but AYLT from EIC wasn't one of them.

Elvis was the consummate performer, and this bit was another example of him playing with the crowd at his own expense.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:36 am

Don't get me wrong, June 21st is not a great show. It is not a great performance.

Good call. At least you are not delusional. Some fans that are pro-EIC will spin that if it was re-edited, you would be watching a high quality special.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:20 am

midnightx wrote:
Don't get me wrong, June 21st is not a great show. It is not a great performance.

Good call. At least you are not delusional. Some fans that are pro-EIC will spin that if it was re-edited, you would be watching a high quality special.

Yeah.

That's never going to happen. Except if people wear their rose-tinted glasses beforehand.

The behind-the-scenes footage alone is heartbreaking. After Elvis receives the Medallion of Life from Monique, and considering how tired he looks, it's very uncomfortable watching him being dabbed and almost prodded by the makeup guy, again and again. It's like they were worried about his face cracking and falling off. The whole mood in that dressing room is so different to anything shown in TTWII. The contrast is evocative of a Shakespearean tragedy. Yet that footage is oddly compelling. The meeting between Elvis and Monique is interesting on a cultural level alone. And he is extremely sweet with that girl. Ultimately, the footage is what it is, and very sad at that.

Re: Rapid City, June 21st 1977. Some new thoughts

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:33 am

shanebrown wrote:Elvis looks as awful as we all know ... Elvis appears to actually be having a good time ... He is palpably nervous near the beginning of the concert, but seems to relax as it moves along ... June 19th show ... is worse than I first thought ... June 21st is not a great show ... the cock-up in Are You Lonesome Tonight is like watching a train wreck ... What I am trying to say is that the Elvis In Concert TV special was a travesty.

Your topic title declares "some new thoughts" -- where are they?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:59 pm

It is worth noting that the 68 Burbank footage that was released on bootleg video in the early 80's when I was 16 years old :D was such poor quality both in picture and sound it was very hard to watch.

Do you remember that KING OF ROCK N ROLL (68 footage) Video by Mountain or something like that? It was really poor quality picture and sound!! This was Elvis at one of his best moments and yet it was still hard to enjoy. Look at the deluxe 68 set - it is hard to take your eyes and ears away from it. The CBS 77 tapes are very poor quality picture and sound.

My point is: with perfect quality footage and sound - editing the embarrassing banter out and, perhaps, zooming in on the more unflattering camera angles showing Elvis' belly from the side then we would have a much better experience of the CBS tapes. Just adding perfect quality audio to this footage makes it a lot better.

Another example the Million Dollar quartet - superb to listen to all the way through - time and time again. Remember the original release - the SUN TAPES ? (can't remember the title) before the superb CHARLIE RECORDS release on the green dollar effect LP. This is fascinating stuff - Elvis really sounds good yet on the original release the sound was so bad I could barely listen to it once!!

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Interesting thoughts Shane

Was they? Hmmm... Deja vu

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 pm

1) the only pieces of footage from these shows that are close to being of interest are How Great Thou Art for such an astonishing performance, and Unchained Melody for its rarity. How Great Thou Art thankfully is available on the album and doesn't need the visuals to be appreciated. Unchained Melody is not a great performance, the version on Moody Blue blows it away, even if you take away the overdubs. Its an interesting piece of history to watch on Great Performances but nothing more.

2) these shows should remain unreleased, period. To release them into the public arena would only serve to damaged a lot of the good work that has been done to repair Elvis' public image over the years. We as die hard Elvis fans can appreciate this material, can be sympathetic towards it. General fans and Joe public would not be as forgiving. 'Release it on FTD' people sometimes say, the likelyhood of FTD releasing ANY DVDs of any nature is slim to say the least. The cost implications for such a small audience capture would rule it out. It isn't going to happen people....thankfully!

3) to say that Elvis gives a better performance in Rapid City than Aloha is laughable to say the least. Rapid City Elvis wouldn't have made it through an Aloha show. Aloha isn't my favourite performance by a long shot, in fact, it bores me sometimes but it is leaps and bounds above anything from 1977 including Rapid City.

:!: