All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:33 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Just to clarify (as others have spotted), my post was to do with You've Lost That Loving Feeling - NOT Suspicious Minds.

Also, I was thinking about how others (not we Elvis fanatics) might view the overall audio performance.

Steve Morse



Sorry.......... I think Elvis singing You've lost that loving feeling and ad-libbing with 'if this suit werent too tight' in no way ruins the performance in my opinion, another one of the highlights and one liners I love is on Suspicious Minds when he says 'shove it up your nose'. :)

SUIT WERE'NT TOO TIGHT

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:24 pm

I guess that Elvis was just messin about and having a good time doing this song . - just like on SUSPICIOUS MINDS .
He liked entertaining the audience and giving 100/00 like he always did.



i guess too that some suits were tight - but my assumption is that he was just messin about .-

b]enjoyable to watch .- great on TTWII .
ONE OF MY FAVOURITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME . :)

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:14 pm

Matthew wrote:Have you heard the rehearsal version of this track first released on the Elvis Aron Presley box set? He uses the correct lyrics.


Yeah, and that is a great version of that song.

Hopefully we'll get some more tracks from this rehearsal on an FTD...??

Rich

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:17 pm

I'm so used to it, that when I don't hear it, it sounds strange.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:25 am

There's a version of this song (on EAP silver box, I think) where he says
"I'd do it for you" if my memory serves. It's been quite awhile since I've listened, so I could be mistaken.

I agree that if Elvis didn't say anything there it just wouldn't sound right.

FYI: I have the multi-disc set "The Legend Lives On" from Readers Digest.
You know where he said "I wouldn't lie to you, No, not much during the bridge of SM? (Aloha version). On the RD set "No, not much has been edited out. Always found that interesting and wondered Why??

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:05 am

e joked a lot in concert listen to i was the one from dec 1956 last hayride show,fool such as i and are you lonesome tonight from hawaii 1961.
speaking of aylt do you think he was joking around on the omaha and rapid city 77 shows too since he joked on the lyrics so much through the years?

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:50 am

I always thought when first listening to that song, he had sung 'To soothe one too tight'

To have it actually included on a master live track on an album though, that line does'nt really suit it

Still, it stands as one of his greatest covers, and one of his greatest live performances ever 8)

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:40 am

Steve- I have to agree, on an audio basis, it does spoil the mood for me ever so slightly. To be caught up in such drama and then let out is a little disquieting. I love the Elvis Aron Presley mentioned by Jerry with the "I'd do it for you" which is a great ad lib.

Even without that, it doesn't kill me like the Righteous Brothers' Philles 45 version. This is no slap at Elvis' recording which is superb but that Righteous Brothers' version is a legit candidate for greatest record ever made.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I always thought when first listening to that song, he had sung 'To soothe one too tight'

What exactly does that mean?

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:53 pm

[quote]Scott Haigh 781990EP Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought when first listening to that song, he had sung 'To soothe one too tight'

Does'nt make sense Scott!! :?

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:23 am

That could mean tense, angry

But put it in a different context, and it becomes something not really good to mention on the board :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:28 am

It does not ruin the performance. It *adds* to it. I really hate Elvis goofing off in certain songs at certain times, especially in parts of TTWII, but I oddly find this single line great. Here he is, delivering a spellbinding performance, and he still has time to ease the mood with a joke.I'm sure Chips Moman would have bitch-slapped him sideways if it was American Sound Studios, but a studio is a studio, and a stage is a stage. He really let you know who was boss with a performance like this, and that casual dropping of a pun just made his vocal prowess that much more compelling, as if he could still find time to spoof himself while singing his balls off, proving he could easily slip in and out of the moment with amazing ease.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:16 am

noone answered me. did elvis joke on are you lonesome tonight in omaha and rapid city 77 or was he really out of it?

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:34 pm

This is the stuff I love to hear from Elvis. He was one of the very few who did those little jokes while singing his songs. To me it's very entertaining.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:22 pm

I am a fanatic when it comes to the Elvis music and I think it ruins a great song and performance. The ad libs are fun to have when there are other more serious versions available or a definitive studio version available e.g. "Suspicious Minds" but in the case of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" the ad lib violates the integrity of the song. Matter of fact, for 30 years now, I cringe when he gets to that line so when the version was released without it, it was a welcome change and relief.

Good post Steve!

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:31 pm

dl wrote:This is the stuff I love to hear from Elvis. He was one of the very few who did those little jokes while singing his songs. To me it's very entertaining.



Elvis was not a comedian...and entertainer yes....but not a comedian....he often wore a good joke out...granted he was supposed to be performing for different audiences but still he violated the integerity of a song he had not performed that often (up till that time that is).

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:37 pm

ritchie valens wrote:noone answered me. did elvis joke on are you lonesome tonight in omaha and rapid city 77 or was he really out of it?


I guess this will open a can of worms; but he was pretty much pissed off, feeling sorry for himself, a little out of it and couple that with his sense of humor and you have what is a very disturbing performance and not a joke at all. Poor Elvis, what a sad state he came to inhabit.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:01 pm

I like it - it shows the non-fan that he wasn't miming :D

I think Polk Salad was spoilt with the "I learnt that in the army" banter. It was good to see that removed from TTWII SE. However - if I had been in the audience then it would have been great ofcourse.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Deke,

I think we're very much on the same wavelength. As you say, there's no definitive studio version of YLTLF as there is with Suspcious Minds and that's a critical point here.

I'm not criticising Elvis, because he wasn't aware that a particular live version would end up being heard so frequently. Inevitably he would repeat the same jokes many times (even going back to the days of "escape . . . err . . . release") and when you become aware of this, it becomes less funny and the illusion of spontaneity is gone.

One of Elvis's qualities, however, was that he could be self-effacing and so I would have no qualms about anyone seeing his rendition of Lovin' Feeling from ETTWII, complete with the 'suit' bit. As an overall performance it proves what a sensational artist he was and how he could raise even what many would regard as a pop standard, to a new level.

Steve Morse

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:13 pm

ritchie valens wrote:noone answered me. did elvis joke on are you lonesome tonight in omaha and rapid city 77 or was he really out of it?


He turned a mistake into joking bit, however if it gets shown out of context, then it can have the appearance that he was out of it, which in fact he was not.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Deke,

I think we're very much on the same wavelength. As you say, there's no definitive studio version of YLTLF as there is with Suspcious Minds and that's a critical point here.

I'm not criticising Elvis, because he wasn't aware that a particular live version would end up being heard so frequently. Inevitably he would repeat the same jokes many times (even going back to the days of "escape . . . err . . . release") and when you become aware of this, it becomes less funny and the illusion of spontaneity is gone.

One of Elvis's qualities, however, was that he could be self-effacing and so I would have no qualms about anyone seeing his rendition of Lovin' Feeling from ETTWII, complete with the 'suit' bit. As an overall performance it proves what a sensational artist he was and how he could raise even what many would regard as a pop standard, to a new level.

Steve Morse


I totally agree with you! I know exactly where you are coming from.

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 am

I'm glad songs like You've lost that loving feeling, I just can't help believing, Polk Salad Annie etc were not recorded as studio masters. they would've really lost the electric atmosphere that only the concerts could contain. I would'nt change that even if i could 8)

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Elton wrote:I always thought when first listening to that song, he had sung 'To soothe one too tight'

Does'nt make sense Scott!! :?


Actually, I bet a lot of us can make sense of that statement.

Re: If this suit wasn't 2 tight!- Does this ruin YLTLF?

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:18 am

Steve Morse wrote:Elvis's performance of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is one of the highlights of Elvis That's The Way It Is.

His 'aside' of "if this suit wasn't too tight" is part of the performance, part of Elvis's type of humour, but do you ever wish he had not inserted this musical ad-lib ? Without the visuals I think it tends to spoil a powerhouse performance and stops it being an all-time classic listening experience of a wonderful song. I still think it is streets ahead of any other version I have heard. I just wish he had dispensed with the humour (which he tended to use in most performances of this song) on this occasion.

Steve Morse


I don't think the phrase if this suit wasn't too tight spoils this fantastic performance at all.

In my humble opinion, this is one of the greatest live performances by Elvis overall!

Nothing (well, almost nothing...) could ruin it! :lol:

Best Regards
Kristian