All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

If this suit wasn't 2 tight!- Does this ruin YLTLF?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:52 pm

Elvis's performance of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is one of the highlights of Elvis That's The Way It Is.

His 'aside' of "if this suit wasn't too tight" is part of the performance, part of Elvis's type of humour, but do you ever wish he had not inserted this musical ad-lib ? Without the visuals I think it tends to spoil a powerhouse performance and stops it being an all-time classic listening experience of a wonderful song. I still think it is streets ahead of any other version I have heard. I just wish he had dispensed with the humour (which he tended to use in most performances of this song) on this occasion.

Steve Morse

Re: If this suit wasn't 2 tight!- Does this ruin YLTLF?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Without the visuals I think it tends to spoil a powerhouse performance and stops it being an all-time classic listening experience of a wonderful song.

Without the visuals?

The folks sitting in the audience had the visuals. When Elvis sang that line from Suspicious Minds, he wasn't singing to those of us listening to it years later. He was trying to entertain those in attendance....in which he certainly did.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:12 pm

I agree with Rob he was just entertaining the crowd. I would have loved to have been there for any of the TTWII shows, even now I cant believe I am hearing things right when Elvis says 'shove it up your nose' while he is singing Suspicious Minds :D

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:06 pm

It`s just Elvis in a nutshell and I love it :lol:

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:40 pm

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:24 pm

I love it, Elvis had such a quirky sense of humor. He always cracks me up with his little adlibs.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:47 pm

By NO means does it spoil it
...It's Just Elvis being Elvis!!!

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:16 am

Steve Morse wrote:Elvis's performance of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" is one of the highlights of Elvis That's The Way It Is.

His 'aside' of "if this suit wasn't too tight" is part of the performance, part of Elvis's type of humour, but do you ever wish he had not inserted this musical ad-lib ? Steve Morse

Personally Steve I think it added to the song and by default
gave a visual of what was going on if that makes sense... :wink:

PEP 8)

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:43 am

I just gotta love the song with "if this suit wasn't too tight" or not.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:44 am

BTW, Elvis says "if this suit weren´t too tight".

At least to my ears.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:14 am

It's my favourite part of the song 8) 8)

Rob wrote:The folks sitting in the audience had the visuals. When Elvis sang that line from Suspicious Minds, he wasn't singing to those of us listening to it years later. He was trying to entertain those in attendance....in which he certainly did.

When did he sing this during Suspicious Minds??

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:14 am

Promocollector wrote:It's my favourite part of the song 8) 8)

Rob wrote:The folks sitting in the audience had the visuals. When Elvis sang that line from Suspicious Minds, he wasn't singing to those of us listening to it years later. He was trying to entertain those in attendance....in which he certainly did.

When did he sing this during Suspicious Minds??

I guess he's referring to the "I hope this suit don't tear up baby" ad-lib

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:16 am

Have you heard the rehearsal version of this track first released on the Elvis Aron Presley box set? He uses the correct lyrics.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:57 am

The aside doesn't really ruin the performance for me, although I must say the rehearsal version Matthew mentioned has always been my favourite version of the song.

Baby, baby, I'd get down on my knees for you... I'd do it for you!!!

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:59 am

i think there is a live 1971 version with the correct lyrics too.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:03 am

i like the joke lyrics...often it is elvis' ad-libs and quirky phrasings that become my favorite parts of these songs...

for example, when he comicly lowers or heightens his voice, plays with the microphone (swallowing it or doing oral on it for example), adds an ad-lib, does some psychotic little dance move, etc...

elvis was a funny guy...and i believe he had this side to him from day 1, and it was just waiting to burst out.

i mean, let's face it--show of hands...who doesn't love elvis laughing his ass off all the way through are you lonesome tonight? who has played that to their friends to find that they just start laughing along with it?

i mean, i love beautiful music as much as the next bloke here. but at this point, my brain thinks there's something missing in the song if i don't hear "shove it up your nose", "i hope this suit don't tear up baby", or "if this suit weren't on too tight!"

just like how i can't get the visuals out of my head of his stage moves. even when you listen to some concert recording that there's no visuals to, you can still imagine exactly what he's up there doing on stage.

his personality was one of the biggest things that separated him as a performer--besides of course that *voice* that's been blowing the fish out of the water for more than half a century.

that's why people who watch his concert videos can appreciate him yodeling or singing in a high voice on an itty bitty baby guitar, and then in the same mood, listen to his renditions of the great ballads.

elvis music wouldn't be elvisy without the funny or absurd asides.

elvis was approachable--that's why so many people claim him to be just "one of us"--almost as if he were a close family member, rather than some stuck-up artiste performer. he's like america's quirky [rather attractive] uncle plus a godly talent.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:10 am

Just to clarify (as others have spotted), my post was to do with You've Lost That Loving Feeling - NOT Suspicious Minds.

Also, I was thinking about how others (not we Elvis fanatics) might view the overall audio performance.

Steve Morse

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:25 am

When a friend of mine heard some of the live stuff for the first time, she said " WAW, I did`nt know that Elvis was like that" she actually got hooked on Elvis by hearing him on live recordings :D

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:33 am

Steve Morse wrote:Just to clarify (as others have spotted), my post was to do with You've Lost That Loving Feeling - NOT Suspicious Minds.

Yes, I see that now. However, my answer is still the same.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:55 pm

great line from Elvis - the type that made his such a great entertainer and not just a singer
rick

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:03 pm

It spoiles the song for me.... :cry:

When I was younger, I didnt understand what Elvis said, and liked the "emotinal outburst" But now when I understand what he's saying. It spoils the song... Should've been edited when RCA released it.

Dunny too watch though...

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:27 pm

I was listening to TTWII SE on Thursday and when YLTLF came on it grated on me just a bit.

Such ad libs are an integral part of the EP show, but on a "master" it is a bit of a shame that a pure, straight version could not have been found IMO.

Having said that the TTWII album was a semi soundtrack in a way, and I think the version works well on screen!!

You Lost That...

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Most performers change the songs a bit to make the song even stronger or different . Elvis changed them for the worst(boredom) until he dropped song altogether from set list. Other songs like HD etc..suffered many years and Elvis made sure people knew that it was something to get out of his way. Elvis lightened this serious performance for whatever reason and my guess is it was a little too close for comfort...

suit too tight

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:15 pm

My sister laughed out loud when she first heard Elvis' ad-lib on YLTLF. She's not a fan, but I think she quite admires Elvis. When we watched the deluxe DVD of the 68 Special together, she commented "You just can't take your eyes off him." Unfortunately, my brother in law can't stand Elvis, so my sister doesn't make a point of listening to his music. I was playing a compilation of Elvis' live concerts in the car the other day, which included the laughing version of AYLT. My sister commented, "Was this when he was getting puffy?" I told her no - he was still lean, mean and magnificent and having a ball on stage. The 'fat Vegas' image still clouds people's perception of Elvis, unfortunately.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:44 pm

:o on many occasions this DOES ruin that serious song, therefore i prescribe you lie down and listen to Elvis's magnificent serious version from chicago 16,6,72.... then you'll feel 'satisfied'; and better! :wink: :roll: