All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:15 am

An exciting release to be sure, and killer material. But unfortunately yet another case of selling us disjointed bits and pieces through the years before finally offering us a complete version in order to tempt us to pay for it all yet again. BMG and EPE aren't the only ones who know how to screw the fans over.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:21 am

dannyboy1 wrote:An exciting release to be sure, and killer material. But unfortunately yet another case of selling us disjointed bits and pieces through the years before finally offering us a complete version in order to tempt us to pay for it all yet again. BMG and EPE aren't the only ones who know how to screw the fans over.

Don't buy it then! :roll: :roll:

Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:19 am

dannyboy1 wrote:An exciting release to be sure, and killer material. But unfortunately yet another case of selling us disjointed bits and pieces through the years before finally offering us a complete version in order to tempt us to pay for it all yet again. BMG and EPE aren't the only ones who know how to screw the fans over.

I wouldn't quite see it this way, with boots this is a very different story, as they are manufactured in quantities of maybe 5-10,000. And I would bet there is a whole new generation of Elvis fans out there that never had access to the original titles from ten years ago, that would very much welcome such a release. And besides, we're talking about the crown jewels of the king here, that made him finding his way home...

revisiting American

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:20 am

... 5 t0 10 thousand?! Youre talking FTD numbers here!

Ive been around long enough to give you some realistic sales figures...

Howzabout 500 to one thousand?! Ive known the people who gave me

the information, since the 80s... They is not bullsh*tting. Believe me.

... The golden years, were the years of American made vinyl...

Pittsburgh 76, Burbank Sessions, Behind Closed Doors...

But that's a long, long time ago, amigo!

Re: revisiting American

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:58 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... 5 t0 10 thousand?! Youre talking FTD numbers here!

Ive been around long enough to give you some realistic sales figures...

Howzabout 500 to one thousand?! Ive known the people who gave me

the information, since the 80s... They is not bullsh*tting. Believe me.

... The golden years, were the years of American made vinyl...

Pittsburgh 76, Burbank Sessions, Behind Closed Doors...

But that's a long, long time ago, amigo!

Not only the golden years.......................it was more exciting too.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm looking forward to this CD, love the artwork, and I'm sure the sound will be superb.
It's one of the best studio sessions Elvis did, and it's deserving a good CD set.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:21 pm

Doc - the official BMG 1999 comp "Suspicious Minds: The Memphis Anthology" used an August 1969 live Vegas performance shot of Elvis sitting on a stool to represent a collection of Jan/Feb 1969 studio recordings where the basic tracks were recorded in in Memphis!! How silly is that?

I scratched my head as certainly BMG had more appropriate high quality portrait/publicity negatives to work with that were closer in time frame to the actual sessions. I think that is a drawback of the official BMG package.

The American Crown Jewels you mention gets closer with their cover pic, featuring a RCA Elvis movie pubilicity pic circa late 1968. Kind of sad that the bootleggers do a better job than BMG!!

It's unclear why BMG doesn't use photos from (or closer in time frame to) the actual sessions for their cover material.

Some of it may be rights-related issues--or technical issues as they may deem the candids from the 69 sessions to be of inferior quality. Many designers like to drum scan the actual film negative to achieve a high quality image. Perhaps the negatives have not survived? Only old small prints?

Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:19 am

I only have one thing to say to this news. And it's gonna sound British:

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC! :lol:

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:00 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:The golden years, were the years of American made vinyl... Pittsburgh 76, Burbank Sessions, Behind Closed Doors...

Ger, how many LPs are we talking here?

monkboughtlunch wrote:Doc - the official BMG 1999 comp "Suspicious Minds: The Memphis Anthology" used an August 1969 live Vegas performance shot of Elvis sitting on a stool to represent a collection of Jan/Feb 1969 studio recordings where the basic tracks were recorded in in Memphis!! How silly is that?

Not that silly -- Elvis looked wonderful, and the title cut was not completed until some August 1969 overdubs were done by Bill Porter at his Las Vegas studio.

revisiting american

Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:23 am

... going by memory, Vic Collona mentioned sales over 15000 for

Pittsburgh. Thats the all time bestseller. Some of the others: Burbank,

Rockin' Rebel, Plantation Rock, etc, did around 5 to 10, at the time

when we was buddies... and that was back at the end of the seventies.

... When things started to bloom in Europe, numbers went down to

1 - 2 thousand per good title. The same goes for some of the classic cd

titles, so the guys tell me. Nowdays, its going downhill, thanks to

cdrs... and what I hear, some of the guys behind the better imports,

will sign off, after the 30th anniversary...

Re: revisiting american

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:32 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:
... going by memory, Vic Collona mentioned sales over 15000 for

Pittsburgh. Thats the all time bestseller. .

Cotten/De Witt list The 68 Comeback as the best selling album..
Do you have figures for it..Ger..?

revisiting American

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 pm

... The 68 one came out before Pittsburgh 76, didn't it? No, I dont

know any exact sales numbers on Vic's releases. He'd mentioned

Pittsburgh 'cause it had surprised him an audience recording would

outsell his real gems by a mile! And to this day, lots of fans still

rate the artwork on this double album as one of the finest...

... Vic himself said it was crap. So do I.

But were a minority... I know that to. I can drool over some real

strange foreign ep and 10 " artwork... because its different from

the standard Elvis releases. For example the French 10" 1st

pressing of Good Rockin' Tonight... so fifties! While most will

favour the 2nd pressing, featuring the portrait shot borrowed

from the back of 50 000 000 fans...

Take a look at the majority of 70s covers, both RCA and imports,

there all the bloody same... But thats what most fans prefer...

... Like the old saying: never change a winning RCA concept...

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote: I can drool over some real

pressing of Good Rockin' Tonight... so fifties!

Amen brother!

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:11 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:But were a minority... I know that to. I can drool over some real

The 2nd pressing of Good Rockin' was my very first 10" album and it still is special to me.
It realy got me hooked on 10" Elvis albums, right now I've collected close to 100.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:37 am

Man I just loved the "whole package" on Pittsburgh 76 - awesome in the extreme!!

It was a Golden Age with Rockin' Rebels, Awesome Hawaii 61 LP, and many many more!!

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... The 68 one came out before Pittsburgh 76, didn't it? No, I dont

know any exact sales numbers on Vic's releases. He'd mentioned

Pittsburgh 'cause it had surprised him an audience recording would

outsell his real gems by a mile! And to this day, lots of fans still

rate the artwork on this double album as one of the finest...

... Vic himself said it was crap. So do I.

But were a minority... I know that to. I can drool over some real

Take a look at the majority of 70s covers, both RCA and imports,

there all the bloody same... But thats what most fans prefer...

... Like the old saying: never change a winning RCA concept...

You are a REAL artist Ger. An honor for me to be on same MB with you.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:03 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Nowdays, its going downhill, thanks to

will sign off, after the 30th anniversary

Say it ain't so! As a long-time Elvis fan but someone who somehow missed the whole hard-core "Import" releases until not that long ago, I'm eating up all these reissues, as in most cases the original versions are not only long gone, but in 2006, we are seeing from Madison, Fort Baxter (and others) improved sound, and terrific booklets that put to shame the original releases, which are long gone anyway.

"One Night Only," "Kansas City Blues," "Holding Down The Fort" and the fortcoming reissue of "Since Cincinnati" are just some examples.

Speaking of which, while I do think CD-R's (and Mp-3's) must have dented and even killed the record industry, it's not always a given that CD-Rs have always been bad, although this is surely an exception.

In such a case, the music (and lack of real artwork) alone motivates one to "upgrade." The release is never just about the audio anyway. Anyone with a lonely disc of with no artwork quickly learns it's a half-empty possession. I myself have been upgrading constantly.

So here's hoping the 'leggers keep the releases (re-issues and otherwise) coming! I think the audience is still there. ....Aren't we...? :shock: :D

Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:So here's hoping the 'leggers keep the releases (re-issues and otherwise) coming! I think the audience is still there. ....Aren't we...? :shock: :D

I don't think so. As ger said, a good release sells 1000-2000 copies. My guess is that a "normal" release sells 700-1000.
Would you spend a lot of time and money (not to talk about the risk of being caught) for those numbers and than see CDR-dealers sell a lot more than you do?
I don't think so.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:26 am

KempoDick wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:So here's hoping the 'leggers keep the releases (re-issues and otherwise) coming! I think the audience is still there. ....Aren't we...? :shock: :D

I don't think so. As ger said, a good release sells 1000-2000 copies. My guess is that a "normal" release sells 700-1000.
Would you spend a lot of time and money (not to talk about the risk of being caught) for those numbers and than see CDR-dealers sell a lot more than you do?
I don't think so.

That was the thing with vinyl - they had to be pressed, and not just copied as is the case with CD's, where they are just copied onto CDR and re-released these days.

At least with vinyl. you knew you had an original copy, and the buyers were always there for them!

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:47 am

Keith F wrote:At least with vinyl. you knew you had an original copy, and the buyers were always there for them!

Keith, I think that's a myth, there were plenty of counterfeit copies out there even in the LP age as far as I can tell, 2nd, 3rd, 4th pressings, etc. all with slight modifications.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:55 am

thenexte wrote:
Keith F wrote:At least with vinyl. you knew you had an original copy, and the buyers were always there for them!

Keith, I think that's a myth, there were plenty of counterfeit copies out there even in the LP age as far as I can tell, 2nd, 3rd, 4th pressings, etc. all with slight modifications.

Yes, I agree, but at least the Bootleggers at that time HAD to get the vinyl pressed.

My point is, now someone on a home pc can make as many copies of a CDR as they like, and sell them - It's Not the same thing, in my eyes!

Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:13 am

Good points.

KempoDick wrote:

I don't think so.

I'm just trying to encourage them, Kempo. I don't deny that CD-R's haven't helped matters as well as, let's face it, an aging fan-base.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:03 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:. Nowdays, its going downhill, thanks to

will sign off, after the 30th anniversary...

I have heard this too from reliable sources, it seems that the great labels will "sign off" next year.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:24 pm

spectacle Carver wrote:I have heard this too from reliable sources, it seems that the great labels will "sign off" next year.

So the cheap CD-R people have ruined the bootleg business? Well, that is truly depressing. I know we have FTD and everything, but I prefer to get new soundboards on bootleg labels. (Yes, I buy all FTD soundboards, too, and I like them a lot. I'm just saying that the booklets and the nice artwork Madison and Fort Baxter produce make it more fun and exciting to be a sounboard fan.)

I guess another reason is that there ain't so much material left to release?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 pm

i hope the imports keep coming i also like the nice booklets etc they are a cut above in that deparment but it makes sence when you think ftd is now releasing almost complete sessions in fantastic sound it will not be long before the older import cds become worthless to name a few

surrender by elvis
loving you sessions
something complete

are all now covered by ftd have ftd won the battle ? i think there is room for both and the importers have brought some real gems out over the past 15 years or so but i understand they spend the money to get us the goodies then people start to cdr them that means less sales for them less income to buy more even better tapes etc.. we loose in the end , unless ftd release everything in the vaults but that would take years and we are not getting any younger :(

jess