All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Revisiting American Studios, 1969

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:26 am

On the "import news" page is a new listing, called The American Way:

Image

It promises to be super, with unissued material in great sound from one of the peak studio moments in Elvis' career!

One small question -- why a Jun '68 studio portrait on the cover? Yes, I know the 45 sleeve for "In The Ghetto" used another shot from this June date, and it's lovely!

However -- Elvis did nice formal studio work in Oct-Nov '68 for "The Trouble With Girls" -- American Crown Jewels (Bilko) used one -- and there are plenty of great informal shots from Jan-Feb '69, when the sessions took place.

Maybe the subsequent volumes of The American Way will employ some shots closer to the time frame!

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 am

Hopefully this time we'll finally get the session material without the dreadful noise reduction that was applied on "Finding the way home" and the rough draft mixes in their original quality (and not as heavily processed as on "American Rejects"), but who knows maybe they're only recycling what we already have...

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:57 am

This is going to be a keeper! Very much looking forward to these series of CDs... a total dream project for the fans!

JEFF d
EAP fan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:38 am

Fantastic! Agree with the Doc about the cover though. Some of the 1969 photos are amazing - really no need to us a photo from a year earlier!

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:25 am

New should be the complete In The Ghetto sessions and take 6 (FS)
from Kentucky Rain sessions..
Hopefully they`ve done their maths and researched well..

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:27 am

It's a fair point by Doc and not too late to change! Or is it?

Also, thenexte reminds us that we have audio expectations as well....

This is a long hoped-for series come true.

revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:36 am

... Ghetto, Daddy, Kentucky... From Elvis In Memphis, From Memphis

To Vegas, The American Way, all spot a 68 photo cover.

I guess thats the idea behind it...?

There will be a special hiss/ crackle edition for those [ like one of the lads

above] who prefer cdr's made from sh*tty old cassettes, so Ive

been told...

Re: revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:59 am

Good point about the art!

I'd take this on junky cassettes at this point :lol:

Re: revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:06 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Ghetto, Daddy, Kentucky... From Elvis In Memphis, From Memphis To Vegas, The American Way, all spot a 68 photo cover.

Well -- as mentioned, the 45 of "In The Ghetto" sported a shot from the June 1968 portrait session, and The American Way, Vol. 1 is an homage, of sorts.

As for the others:

"Suspicious Minds" - November 1968 (portrait session)
"Don't Cry Daddy" - June 27, 1968 (live, Burbank)
"Kentucky Rain" - June 1968 (portrait session)

From Elvis In Memphis - June 30, 1968 (taping opening sequence, Burbank)

From Memphis To Vegas (Elvis In Person) - June 27, 1968 (live, Burbank)
From Vegas To Memphis (Back In Memphis) - August 1969 (live, Las Vegas)

---

So, does this mean we'll see a Nov '68 and Aug '69 cover images on future volumes?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:08 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's a fair point by Doc and not too late to change! Or is it?

Also, thenexte reminds us that we have audio expectations as well....

This is a long hoped-for series come true.


Change it ???? No f**king way ! This is one of the best cover shots used in a loooong time, it's like Ger pointed out, these promo photo's meant to be used for singles and albums beyond the year they were taken in ... Excellent choice, beautiful picture, and no puffy sleeves or jumpsuit ! All I can say is 'WOW' ! And Dr. John, if you wait long enough, I am sure Ernst is coming with the complete session, with a 'real' '69 cover .. :D :D
Last edited by memphisflash on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Fom Elvis In Memphis, From Memphis

To Vegas, The American Way, all spot a 68 photo cover.

I guess thats the idea behind it...?



Since you explained it that way Ger, I can maybe live with it... :lol:

My first reaction was the same as the others.....sure nice picture
an all.....but still it would have been maybe nice to have a 69' shot
instead....

Nevertheless I'm sure this is going to be some release... :wink:

PEP 8)

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 pm

Don't want to get greedy, but will it be in stereo? :smt020

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Kuenzer wrote:Don't want to get greedy, but will it be in stereo? :smt020


I think that's the whole idea behind this release this time, if I'm not mistaken...

PEP 8)

revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:37 pm

... What I understand from the makers of this 5 volume series is

to get all the available stuff, from 10 years ago, when Crown Jewels

was released, in the best possible sound quality. As stated in the press

release [ snowed under already by the latest news on Joe Tunzi...

our moderators favourite son, so it seems...?] this 69 material has

been out on home made cdrs, copied from mediocre hissy cassettes.

... The original tapes [ now used for The American Way] once "got out",

were quickly copied, and made their way in to the collectors world.

First on cassettes, and more recently on cdrs.


However... the first generation tapes of old, are now repaired,

cleaned up and re- mastered for this new project.

... If you people want a string of "new" material in true stereo, Id

advice you to go shopping at your local supermarket... This, and

the coming week, all sorts of unreleased Elvis studio outtakes are

being sold by the pound... at bargain prices!


... No false promises... you get what is advertised : a great sounding

cd with uncut songs and studio talk. And if thats not enough for

some of you, please skip this series and go for yet another run

of the mill soundboard... with an awesome jumpsuit shot that

"covers" the cd contents perfectly.

Yes, indeed. The producers are already feeling a wee fokked by

the positive feedback, here on the mb. They asked me to thank

you all. They are "dying" to start working on volume two...

Re: revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:04 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Yes, indeed. The producers are already feeling a wee fokked by

the positive feedback, here on the mb. They asked me to thank

you all. They are "dying" to start working on volume two...


Ger more or less I think the comments were positive...

Weren't they?

The comments about the cover really wasn't
a put down on the disc it self....

Again No one was saying it was a bad picture or
cover, just that we couldn't understand why the 68'
picture instead of an 69' picture....

At the same time in the way that you explained the
reason for the choice in picture, I personally can see
maybe the artistic reason for the choice then....

This material has been milked shall we say....

However if it comes our way in better form
one can't ague for wanting more.....

An I guess that's the bottom line....
on a release of this nature....

PEP 8)

Re: revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:44 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... What I understand from the makers of this 5 volume series is

to get all the available stuff, from 10 years ago, when Crown Jewels

was released, in the best possible sound quality. As stated in the press

release [ snowed under already by the latest news on Joe Tunzi...

our moderators favourite son, so it seems...?] this 69 material has

been out on home made cdrs, copied from mediocre hissy cassettes.

... The original tapes [ now used for The American Way] once "got out",

were quickly copied, and made their way in to the collectors world.

First on cassettes, and more recently on cdrs.


However... the first generation tapes of old, are now repaired,

cleaned up and re- mastered for this new project.

... If you people want a string of "new" material in true stereo, Id

advice you to go shopping at your local supermarket... This, and

the coming week, all sorts of unreleased Elvis studio outtakes are

being sold by the pound... at bargain prices!


... No false promises... you get what is advertised : a great sounding

cd with uncut songs and studio talk. And if thats not enough for

some of you, please skip this series and go for yet another run

of the mill soundboard... with an awesome jumpsuit shot that

"covers" the cd contents perfectly.

Yes, indeed. The producers are already feeling a wee fokked by

the positive feedback, here on the mb. They asked me to thank

you all. They are "dying" to start working on volume two...


Thanks for the info Ger!

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:16 pm

Yes, looking forward to the 5 Volumes. E was simply amazing in 1969. :smt023

Re: revisiting American

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:39 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... What I understand from the makers of this 5 volume series is to get all the available stuff, from 10 years ago, when Crown Jewels was released, in the best possible sound quality. As stated in the press release [ snowed under already by the latest news on Joe Tunzi... our moderators favourite son, so it seems...?] this 69 material has been out on home made cdrs, copied from mediocre hissy cassettes. ... The original tapes [ now used for The American Way] once "got out", were quickly copied, and made their way in to the collectors world. First on cassettes, and more recently on cdrs.

However... the first generation tapes of old, are now repaired, cleaned up and re- mastered for this new project. ... If you people want a string of "new" material in true stereo, Id advice you to go shopping at your local supermarket... This, and the coming week, all sorts of unreleased Elvis studio outtakes are being sold by the pound... at bargain prices!

... No false promises... you get what is advertised : a great sounding cd with uncut songs and studio talk. And if thats not enough for some of you, please skip this series and go for yet another run of the mill soundboard... with an awesome jumpsuit shot that "covers" the cd contents perfectly.

Yes, indeed. The producers are already feeling a wee fokked by the positive feedback, here on the mb. They asked me to thank you all. They are "dying" to start working on volume two...


Read "mono" :lol:

(Don't get me wrong, mono is good as well.)

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:39 pm

This looks like killer release for sure! Personally I have no complaints about the cover. It fits perfectly with the original releases. "One Night Only!", "Let It Roll", and now "The American Way". This is a good year for bootlegs.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Just to have the "Suspicious Minds" recording session alone, will be worth it BIG TIME.

That will be awesome :P

Rich

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 pm

To get this straight, this new series uses the same "original" import tapes that were previously used for "Crown Jewels" and "Finding the way", but they are just a little bit more complete, better generation and spread on five discs and will include some rough draft mixes?

We've already seen a major upgrade to 1969 session material that first appeared on the "There's always me" series on two discs (vol. 2-2, 3-2) and which was later rereleased on the "Unsurpassed Masters" box set on three discs (vol. 13, 14, 15) in upgraded sound quality.

What strikes me as odd is the inclusion of "Rubberneckin'" on the first volume of "The American Way" as it already appeared on the "Unsurpassed Masters" set in upgraded sound quality. So it seems very likely that the new series will lift a lot more 1969 session material straight from UM. Or not?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:00 pm

I think the idea isnĀ“t bad...why not all together in top notch sound
with the sessions of each song in one piece and not spread all over.
All with16 page booklets..

....well done..!!

This should be the definitive collection..

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:31 am

Without Love was released on finding the way home in mono but on let it roll it was stereo maybe these new cds will be in stereo if they are it will be fantasic set of cds but either way im looking farward to them :D

Jess

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:13 am

Hopefully FTD will someday release a lot of outtakes from these sessions in crystal clear sound and stereo on the classic album releases of From Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:57 am

Mike DK wrote:Hopefully FTD will someday release a lot of outtakes from these sessions in crystal clear sound and stereo on the classic album releases of From Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis.


I'm much less interested in the outtakes themselves at this point (considering that most of them have been released officially anyways), I want the original albums as DSD remasters, or perhaps even a DSD upgrade of the "Suspicious Minds" set. Now that would be something...