He touched me
No votes
Today
8%

Total votes: 131

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Today was a nice surprise considering that Elvis was downhill then...It was a great effort on his side; although, From Elvis In Memphis gets my vote. I hold you in my heart has a haunting feeling to me I have yet to see in another song.

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Today was a nice surprise considering that Elvis was downhill then...It was a great effort on his side; although, From Elvis In Memphis gets my vote. I hold you in my heart has a haunting feeling to me I have yet to see in another song.
The "Today" album has many great songs, lots are my personal favorites.
Great album indeed.

BTW, i just love that avator!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

rockerman
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rockerman »

the elvis is back and form elvis in memphis sessions are really the same. the music is different but its elvis once at the beginning of the 60's saying i'm king and elvis at the end of the 60's saying i'm king. It's a toss up for me.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Including "Today" in a list of Elvis' best albums is out of place. There were some fine performances on the album and it was one of Elvis' better later career efforts, but it doesn't exactly possess anything that can legitimately compared to titles such as Elvis Presley, Elvis, Elvis Is Back!, Something For Everybody, How Great Thou Art, From Elvis In Memphis and Elvis Country.

Eddie
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Eddie »

From Elvis in Memphis.

The man at his very best.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

midnightx wrote:Including "Today" in a list of Elvis' best albums is out of place. There were some fine performances on the album and it was one of Elvis' better later career efforts, but it doesn't exactly possess anything that can legitimately compared to titles such as Elvis Presley, Elvis, Elvis Is Back!, Something For Everybody, How Great Thou Art, From Elvis In Memphis and Elvis Country.
Given the historic importance, your statement is 100% true.
But of course it's possible for EP fans to rate Today their favourite album..
Just a matter of taste.

I for example, prefer Today over Elvis Country big time..

Cheers, RJ

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Yeah.

I enjoy "Today" a great deal, but a part of me finds its popularity bewildering. It's a solid effort, but by no means spectacular. Even though it's my favourite post-1970 album, it lacks anything to truly take it over the edge, which Elvis actually achieved later on with "Danny Boy" and "Hurt" on his "Boulevard" album.

My vote here goes to "Elvis Is Back!". But a large part of me thinks that the Doc is correct. "Elvis Presley", "Elvis", "Elvis Is Back!" and "From Elvis In Memphis" are the true-blue classics listed there. I venture to add "Elvis Country", too. But the list itself is flawed. Why include two gospel albums and not all three? And why isn't "That's The Way It Is" on there?

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

I would easily have the His Hand In Mine LP as one of Elvis' finest studio efforts.

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Yeah Today is kind of an off-beat choice as the best Elvis album. It's a solid effort with some spectacular moments but it lacks a coherent vision, adventure and too much of it is workmanlike.

I am with Dr. Carpenter in that it is too tough a choice. Placing Elvis is Back, his most ambitious album, over From Elvis in Memphis, his most emotionally intense album, is kind of arbitrary. The second album is a dry run for EIB in its diversity passion and vision. The debut broke all the rules but is a little schizophrenic.

I would say that Elvis Country is his most self-definitive record. Not only does it explore an important part of his roots but it also shows the way he effected that music and his own personal interpretation of that music. It's not a strict country album. It's country through the Elvis filter of blues, rock and pop. It's also quite an emotional statement. The mood of regret and remorse and sometimes rage ("Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On") that permeates almost every song gives an insight into the way Elvis has been changed by his success and the little boy in the cover photo. The "I'm 10,000 Years Old" interlocing theme works perfectly. The Elvis on this album has seen everything. And for us as fans, it does seem as if Elvis has been here forever. Everything else in the world has changed and sometimes not for the best but Elvis is still a part of their lives spiritually if not physically.

His Hand in Mine is a gorgeous album and deserves mention on any list of Elvis classics.

VOC

Post by VOC »

At this particular moment From Elvis In Memphis gets my vote but they are all great albums.

It's more than just which record has the best songs, it's about where you were when you first heard it. While i do not think Moody Blue is Elvis' most outstanding effort i can clearly remember buying the LP and playing it for the first time, then recording it on cassette tape and wearing that out in car and my walkman. You cannot compete with that kind of nostalgia, it's part of your memories and life forever.

So it depends on many things, certain albums as individual tracks might not get your spirits high put put together they simply click. There's many albums in Elvis' back catalogue like that. You remember a moment in time, how you felt and what you were going through and songs speak through those feelings. Putting them in order is impossible for me. How can you rate your memories and experiences?

- Whisky Woman, Don't You Know That You Are Driving Me Insane -

Topic author
jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by jeanno »

I´m with likethebike. ELVIS COUNTRY is, to my point of view, Elvis´ most coherent album. Great look (back?) at his musical roots with beautiful vocals. The link effect (I was born about 10.000 years ago) works pretty well for me. But it is surely also a matter of taste.

Sorry not to list HIS HAND IN MINE. I just forgot it... :oops:

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Cryogenic wrote:And why isn't "That's The Way It Is" on there?
I would hazard a guess its because 4 of the 12 tracks are live recordings and this poll is for best studio album. Whilst TTWII contains studio recordings it can't qualify as a studio album.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

i voted for FEIM but Country, Elvis is Back, Elvis Presley and Today would probably round out my top five
rick

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

Elvis Country.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Matthew wrote:
I would hazard a guess its because 4 of the 12 tracks are live recordings and this poll is for best studio album. Whilst TTWII contains studio recordings it can't qualify as a studio album.
I have to disagree Matthew. I think TTWII is a studio album in principle. 2/3 of the lp are studio recordings, and the 4 live tracks blend well with the studio numbers. Personally, I think they could've used the studio versions of I've Lost You and Patch It Up instead of the live versions with no drop in the album's quality.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Pete Dube wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I have to disagree Matthew. I think TTWII is a studio album in principle. 2/3 of the lp are studio recordings, and the 4 live tracks blend well with the studio numbers. Personally, I think they could've used the studio versions of I've Lost You and Patch It Up instead of the live versions with no drop in the album's quality.
I agree with I've Lost You and Patch It Up, they are both heaps better than the live versions. Still, to be a studio album in my opinion it has to contain only studio recordings, which TTWII doesn't. Now, if this were a soundtrack poll......

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Matthew wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
Matthew wrote:
I agree with I've Lost You and Patch It Up, they are both heaps better than the live versions. Still, to be a studio album in my opinion it has to contain only studio recordings, which TTWII doesn't. Now, if this were a soundtrack poll......
Patch It Up, the studio recording, is terrible... can't you hear the out-of-tune brass during that cut??? That is not a song meant for the studio (IMO)... it's way too repetitious and the visual is half the performance... the live version (from the Aug 12 DS that is) surpasses it by a long shot!!!

Captain Marvel Jr

Re: Best studio album

Post by Captain Marvel Jr »

From Elvis in Memphis!!!!!
Masterpiece!!!!!

TheKingisthething
Registered for: 10 years

Post by TheKingisthething »

Captain Marvel Jr wrote:From Elvis in Memphis!!!!!
Masterpiece!!!!!
You really making an effort to catch up with the older threads!!!

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

TheKingisthething wrote:
Captain Marvel Jr wrote:From Elvis in Memphis!!!!!
Masterpiece!!!!!
You really making an effort to catch up with the older threads!!!
I noticed to same.

Captain Marvel Jr

Complete Album!!!!!!integrating soul, country, gospel and rural and electric blues!!!! Recorded at American Sound Studio in Memphis in January and February 1969.
2- Elvis is back (great performance vocal)
::rocks

Captain Marvel Jr

Love old movies( Felini, bergman, visconti,antonioni, chaplin)
Love!!!!
Boxers old ( Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano, Ali, Ernnie Shavers, Ken Norton ,jack Dempsey, Forerman, Carlos Monzo, Gene Tunney, Willie Pep )
Actor Marlon brando , Laurence Oliver, Spencer Tracy, Paul Muni , paul newman, John Gielgud, john Barrymore)
Autor Hemingway , Tolstoi , Dostoiévsk,Gabriel José García Márquez, Kafka,Shakespeare,Louis-Ferdinand Céline)

GOSTO DO QUE É BOM( I breath Culture)!!!!

Captain Marvel Jr

Re: Best studio alb

I am Brazilian .!!! Only I thingui force is english( Not 100%)!!Rock Roll and Peace.

Cheers Friends !!!

Topic author
jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by jeanno »

I don't remember starting too many threads here. Still fun to rediscover that one almost 10 years later, with people like Cryo and Likethebike participating on it. Even the Doc was already here!

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

How could Fool Love Letters and Now be omitted. A miscarriage of justice.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward