All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:54 am

Does this thing ever end? I am starting to think they'll tear down the Garden before the polls close.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:30 am

We must vote and vote and vote, Elvis is number 8 now. Are we starting to get tired? We must go on.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:13 pm

Do you all think if we win it could generate enough publicity to re release a remixed version of the original album on the main label? BTW, I just voted and it got up to number 7

Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:01 am

Now he got back to 3, jjjjust a little way to go, back to the very top :wink:
Yes frus, I don`t think that they can just ignore it if he ends up at number 1.
I got a feeling in my body, that the voting will soon end, maybe december 31 :!:

Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:38 pm

I just voted. Elvis is number 3 at this time.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:42 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Elvis' historic moments at MSG are on tv Tuesday night Dec 26th, this according to the New York Post.

Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:53 pm

Thank you for the information. I wonder if anybody are able to do a recording of the program? it would be great to be able to watch it :wink:

Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:29 pm

Tuesday nights schedule is for #11-15 so I guess EP didn't finish as high as we thought.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:34 pm

The latest results from this Poll last night show that Elvis is ranked No.1 by the Voting Public and No.15 by MSG themselves. Surprisingly The Concert For Bangladesh is rated No.9 by MSG. How this concert can be ranked above Elvis' shows there remains a mystery to me. Obviously The Beatles, and 60's stars in general, still have a lot of pull in New York - more so than in other parts of the U.S.A. Anyone care to explain the New York bias?

Brian :roll:

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:29 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:The latest results from this Poll last night show that Elvis is ranked No.1 by the Voting Public and No.15 by MSG themselves. Surprisingly The Concert For Bangladesh is rated No.9 by MSG. How this concert can be ranked above Elvis' shows there remains a mystery to me. Obviously The Beatles, and 60's stars in general, still have a lot of pull in New York - more so than in other parts of the U.S.A. Anyone care to explain the New York bias?

Although I voted for Elvis, I would have cast my second-place vote for The Concert For Bangla Desh. It was the first large-scale benefit concert (long before Live Aid, Farm Aid, etc.). Not only that, it was the first time two Beatles played together post-break-up as well as being the first time ANY former Beatle played solo on US soil (the last Beatle concert was 1966). And Harrison wwas on a roll after releasing arguably the best solo Bealte album, All Things Must Pass.

In addition to two former Beatles, you had Bob Dylan whose live appearances were virtually non-existant post 1966. Add to that mix Eric Clapton, Pete Ham of Badfinger, Ravi Shankar, Billy Preston and Leon Russell, as well as back-up musicians like drummer Jim Keltner and bassist Klaus Voorman and you have a formula for a great show, IMO.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:22 pm

It`s just great to see that he is no 1 again :D (I hope he`ll stay there)

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:05 pm

Why have public voting if they won't honour it?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:08 pm

I don`t know :? Maybe they will in the end somehow.....whenever that will be :?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:33 am

Brian Quinn wrote:The latest results from this Poll last night show that Elvis is ranked No.1 by the Voting Public and No.15 by MSG themselves. Surprisingly The Concert For Bangladesh is rated No.9 by MSG. How this concert can be ranked above Elvis' shows there remains a mystery to me. Obviously The Beatles, and 60's stars in general, still have a lot of pull in New York - more so than in other parts of the U.S.A. Anyone care to explain the New York bias!

Who's to say? This native-born New Yorker thinks its just a generational bias, plus probably a bunch of all-sports, all-the-time lunkheads. There are (were?) a lot of Elvis fans, but unfortunately what I'll call the baby-boomer ascendency means that he doesn't compute with many of that generation. Let's face it, for many, he was a '50s nostalgia act (certainly '72 at MSG was heavy -on that) so therefore not "important" enough to such "serious" music fans.

Who knows what other entertainers will be ahead of him in the top five...Billy Joel? Bruce Springsteen? These acts will also fade in memory, if such "historians" let Elvis get dismissed like that.

:roll: They're okay, but as usual, the older stuff gets forgotten.

Those behind this show just couldn't see Elvis ranking that high ("wasn't he 'fat' and wearing a jumpsuit?") and didn't just knock him to number five but all the way to 15, behind Marilyn Monroe (admittedly a moment so often mentioned), and an ex-Beatle do-gooder concert ("has to be more important than a nostalgia show").... :roll:

In fairness, I don't think the broad public recalls or is as reminded of this Elvis gig as much as some of the others, outside of just locally in N.Y. (When he died, the MSG-era press conference was the photo-era of choice locally.) "Aloha" dwarfs it as a career hightlight in that time period, anyway.

I do hope the segment turns up on video or DVD eventually as I'm curiuous about it. It's a rather small, regional cable network with little distribution...

http://www.msg50.com/index.jsp

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:28 pm

It`s now been 2 weeks since I checked this out and it`s good to see that he`s still no 1, but I wonder if anyone actually saw the tv show, DEC 26 I think it was?? It would be nice to know what they actually showed on the show :D
It seems that the"Elvis sells out the Garden" show will be re-broadcasted
February 4th 9 pm
-----"-----7th 3 pm
-----"----18th 9 pm
-----"----21th 3 pm

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:04 pm

elvisa wrote:It`s now been 2 weeks since I checked this out and it`s good to see that he`s still no 1, but I wonder if anyone actually saw the tv show, DEC 26 I think it was?? It would be nice to know what they actually showed on the show :D
It seems that the"Elvis sells out the Garden" show will be re-broadcasted
February 4th 9 pm
-----"-----7th 3 pm
-----"----18th 9 pm
-----"----21th 3 pm

I'll see if I can watch it this time elvisa.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:11 pm

Joe please do, I can`t watch it from Denmark, but I`m curious to hear how they actually showed him on the program.