colonel parker about the overweight elvis ?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Drugged

Post by Guest »

jak, you meant that he had him self tucked(DRUGGED) safely away, didn`t you :?:

Post by Guest »

And when he was "clear headed" he took some more drugs just to escape from real life :cry:

Me
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Re: re

Post by Me »

tcb4 wrote:if Parker was aware of E's condition, why he kept booking dates?

maybe because E required the colonel to do so :idea: 8)

Elvis loved performing in front of audiences. And Elvis was doing drugs at that time whether he was on tour or not.

So you have the choice. Do drugs at Graceland and make no money. Do drugs on tour while you are doing what you love to do and making money doing it.

Easy answer.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Elvis and Elvis alone was responsible for his weight issues. Trying to say that anyone else was to blame for not doing such and such is just foolhardy. "Poor Elvis" didn't have friends to help him. C'mon, he was an adult with unlimited wealth and he did what pleased him whenever he wanted to.

The fact is Elvis in the 73-77 period was lazy, plain and simple. It was a great struggle to get him to meet his contactually signed agreements. Yes he toured, money had to be made somewhere. His manager did exactly what any good manager is supposed to do. Get his client work and make him money. It's not like Elvis has a hard working life, he was doing what he set out to do.

No, Elvis' weight was his own doing.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

His manager did exactly what any good manager is supposed to do. Get his client work and make him money.
Well, that is misguided. In terms of money, a good manager isn't just supposed to get the client work to make money, but they are also supposed to help that artist gross maximum dollars and that is something Parker did not do (ignoring and turning down movie offers, turning down and not pursuing lucrative international concert offers, locking in low-paying Vegas contracts, locking in low-paying royalty agreements with RCA, etc were just some of the issues at hand). Parker failed in his role as a manager in many ways and his financial arrangements for Elvis is just one example.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

midnightx wrote:
His manager did exactly what any good manager is supposed to do. Get his client work and make him money.
Well, that is misguided. In terms of money, a good manager isn't just supposed to get the client work to make money, but they are also supposed to help that artist gross maximum dollars and that is something Parker did not do (ignoring and turning down movie offers, turning down and not pursuing lucrative international concert offers, locking in low-paying Vegas contracts, locking in low-paying royalty agreements with RCA, etc were just some of the issues at hand). Parker failed in his role as a manager in many ways and his financial arrangements for Elvis is just one example.
Help the artist gross maximum dollars? I think you'll find he did this on a great number of occasions.

joeroberts
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by joeroberts »

Matthew -

I must say that although you have the basic idea, you are forgetting the one factor that prevents your diagnosis of Lazy: "plain and simple."

Actually, now that makes me angry. You are just as ill informed as the people that blow their trumpets around "dispelling the myth" of College Park.

Yes it was all his fault. Yes he started it. Yes he could have stopped it by himself if he had realized it in 1962 instead of on the bathroom floor in 1977.

However:

It is my opinion that from 1963 on, the addiction was bigger than him. That means yes, in 1968 he was an addict. And in Memphis in 1969 and in Vegas the same year.

This does not mean he was stoned all the time. It just means that he developed a mental disorder that without help, he was incapable of curing. That means maybe he was straight for the last Vegas show of '69 (I have no idea) but he got stoned up in his room that night (also have no idea).

To those who dispute this: How did the Elvis of 1969 become the bloated Elvis visiting president Nixon in 1970 or the slurry voiced space cadet of the Aloha press conference if he wasn't on drugs already?

Do you think that he woke up one day in 1970 and said "Lets get stoned?"

Regardless of his performance, his problem grew every day it wasn't treated -- doesn't matter if he was high or not. It's like an undetected cancer...eventually it will take it's toll on your presentation but not before it's had time to grow virtually undetected for a while...until it's too late.

Some people say that this disease is bullox. Those people either have it themselves or don't know anyone that has it.

So yes, it was totally his fault. Plain and simple? You have a lot to learn my friend. Before you go throwing around your "tough love" could you please at least look into it a bit? You almost had an intelligent response to this thread but you had to turn it into a prime example of the ignorant drizzle that is tearing this Elvis community apart.

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Joe Car »

Matthew wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Help the artist gross maximum dollars? I think you'll find he did this on a great number of occasions.
Yeah, the only problem was, he forgot to tell his client! Yes, Elvis was responsible for his weight gain, that didn't give the Colonel a license to steal, which he did. The minute the Colonel became a degenerate gambler, he then sacrificed Elvis' financial best interests so he could feed his gambling habit. He made various poor deals, underselling his client, knowing that he would make out like a bandit anway.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

By 1972, one can argue that those occasions were becoming less and less visible.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

joeroberts wrote:Matthew -

I must say that although you have the basic idea, you are forgetting the one factor that prevents your diagnosis of Lazy: "plain and simple."

Actually, now that makes me angry. You are just as ill informed as the people that blow their trumpets around "dispelling the myth" of College Park.
I was referring to his work ethic which by his own standards was lazy. Nothing ill informed about that.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

There is a story of Elvis telling or speaking his mind ( weight problem worries) to his manager and supposedly the colonel told him that all he had to do was to make a special jumpsuit and fill it with air so he would look even heavier and during the show slowly let the air out to great dramatic effect!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me

Post by Me »

joeroberts wrote:Matthew -

Yes it was all his fault. Yes he started it. Yes he could have stopped it by himself if he had realized it in 1962 instead of on the bathroom floor in 1977.

However:

It is my opinion that from 1963 on, the addiction was bigger than him. That means yes, in 1968 he was an addict. And in Memphis in 1969 and in Vegas the same year.

This does not mean he was stoned all the time. It just means that he developed a mental disorder that without help, he was incapable of curing. That means maybe he was straight for the last Vegas show of '69 (I have no idea) but he got stoned up in his room that night (also have no idea).

To those who dispute this: How did the Elvis of 1969 become the bloated Elvis visiting president Nixon in 1970 or the slurry voiced space cadet of the Aloha press conference if he wasn't on drugs already?

Do you think that he woke up one day in 1970 and said "Lets get stoned?"

Regardless of his performance, his problem grew every day it wasn't treated -- doesn't matter if he was high or not. It's like an undetected cancer...eventually it will take it's toll on your presentation but not before it's had time to grow virtually undetected for a while...until it's too late.

Some people say that this disease is bullox. Those people either have it themselves or don't know anyone that has it.

So yes, it was totally his fault. Plain and simple? You have a lot to learn my friend. Before you go throwing around your "tough love" could you please at least look into it a bit? You almost had an intelligent response to this thread but you had to turn it into a prime example of the ignorant drizzle that is tearing this Elvis community apart.
Elvis's problem with drugs didn't start to get bad until he got into heavier things in the mid 70's. He was not stoned or fat when he visited Nixon.

He was not stoned in 69 or during the 68 special either.

Me

Post by Me »

Joe Car wrote:
Matthew wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Yeah, the only problem was, he forgot to tell his client! Yes, Elvis was responsible for his weight gain, that didn't give the Colonel a license to steal, which he did. The minute the Colonel became a degenerate gambler, he then sacrificed Elvis' financial best interests so he could feed his gambling habit. He made various poor deals, underselling his client, knowing that he would make out like a bandit anway.
The Colonel had an addiction as well so there should be sympathy for him as well. Even though Elvis wasn't making as much as he should have. Elvis agreed to the 50-50 deal and even with that deal was still making great money.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Me wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Matthew wrote:
midnightx wrote:
The Colonel had an addiction as well so there should be sympathy for him as well. Even though Elvis wasn't making as much as he should have. Elvis agreed to the 50-50 deal and even with that deal was still making great money.
Yes there should be some sympathy for the Colonel as well. What was bad about that situation was, when Elvis needed him the most, the Colonel had his own mess to clean up, and thus had the thinking of a desperado, not a hardline business manager for his client. Those guys in Vegas and the fine people at RCA, pounced on his weakness like ants on rice. Either way, it was a horrific situation. If we can except the fact that EP's drug intake along with his battle with depression effected his personal life, his decision making, his behavior and his work, as much as I hate to say it, we also have to cut the Colonel the same slack. Clearly he made deals that he would have laughed at years earlier.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Joe Car wrote: If we can except the fact that EP's drug intake along with his battle with depression effected his personal life, his decision making, his behavior and his work, as much as I hate to say it, we also have to cut the Colonel the same slack. Clearly he made deals that he would have laughed at years earlier.
Excellent and objective Imo!

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Me wrote:
Elvis's problem with drugs didn't start to get bad until he got into heavier things in the mid 70's. He was not stoned or fat when he visited Nixon.

I guess you're wrong. If you watch those pics in the White House, Elvis appears noticeable bloated. This was caused by an alergical reaction to chocolate he had being eating in the plane to DC. And about drugs, to be stoned is not the same as being a drug-addict. Elvis was taking pills regularly since the Army years, and according to those who surrounded him, he was already taking them in big quantities as early as the late 60's.

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

I can't believe what I'm reading. Do you think he woke up in 1974 and said I'm going to take drugs now? Now is when I'm really going to get stoned?

Elvis had a drug problem starting in the early 60s. It never went away. When he was excited about something in his life or career he would handle it better but he absolutely had a problem from the early 60s and he was NEVER cured.

A drug addict has a problem whether he gets stoned once a month or everyday. Do you really think he only rarely got stoned in the late 60s?

The only problem with this forum is that there is rarely any discussion. It is mostly close minded people talking at eachother. Nobody is listening to me so I will stop with this now. Obviously people know what they want to hear. Now I am going to reply to my own message with an acceptable response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Myth of Elvis Being a Drug Addict for the last 18 years of his life:

In the 60s Elvis developed a liking for speed. But luckily he didn't let it effect his proffessional and personal life. After a while he needed sleeping pills to get to sleep because he was tortured by memories of his mother.

In 1968 Elvis really cleaned himself up. He started getting active and eating better. He put on a great TV special. He continued this into 1969 and his triumphant Vegas comback.

In 1973 after splitting up with his wife, Elvis used some drugs again. Luckily though he kicked his habit and had a fantastic recording session in December and a some great March to July 1974 tours.

Then for his Summer Vegas stint, Elvis really re-invented himself and put on an amazing drug free opening show. After it didn't go over as he thought it might he took some drugs again. The fall of 1974 was a difficult time for Elvis because he had depression. He had some below average concerts but nothing as bad or dramatic as has been written. He looked great in his new Tiger suit and took of some well deserved time at the end of the year.

He took ill in January 1975 because of a twisted colon and some other legitimate illnesses and while in the hopital he was dried out and had a great recording session and Vegas stint. Things kept getting better and better until the May and June tours when he was really in fine form. He had dropped some weight and seemed very happy. The July tour was EVEN BETTER. He was excited about being on stage and gave thousands of dollars of diamonds to some lucky fans.

After this tour things got bad again and they stayed that way until his death except of the fall of 1976 when he cleaned himself up again and had a great end of the year tour!!! There's even a phone call that was recorded by Red West for inclusion in Elvis: What happened. Elvis sounds wonderfully clear headed and optimistic about his future! Too bad he went on drugs again in 1977.

The CBS special was shocking to some fans but the audio shows that he still had a wonderful voice. It's so funny in Are You Lonsome Tonight that he pretends to slur his words in addition to the already funny sketch that he did with Charlie Hodge. You could tell he was nervous because he could hardly get the words out to invite his Dad onstage or sing on key during How Great Thou Art. It is also sexy the way he slurs the words to And I Love You So. He was an innovator 'till the end!

The CBS special could have been great if they had only used the right songs! When they remix it and put it on DVD, it will be yet another myth solved!!!!

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

joeroberts wrote:
The CBS special could have been great if they had only used the right songs! When they remix it and put it on DVD, it will be yet another myth solved!!!!
I don't think any "myth" will be solved, if anything, we will just have
the Special in better picture and sound !!

joeroberts

Post by joeroberts »

See what I mean? My above post was extremely deluded but it fit in this thread so nicely that the first reply did not even realize I was doing an impersonation.

Actually, it is a very accurate example of how I thought a number of years ago. Believe it or not, as soon as one accepts the fact that Elvis was a drug addict during every single moment from the early 60s on, Elvis' accomplishments become even more amazing. Elvis wasn't stoned all the time but he was an addict all the time.

Me

Post by Me »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Me wrote:

I guess you're wrong. If you watch those pics in the White House, Elvis appears noticeable bloated. This was caused by an alergical reaction to chocolate he had being eating in the plane to DC. And about drugs, to be stoned is not the same as being a drug-addict. Elvis was taking pills regularly since the Army years, and according to those who surrounded him, he was already taking them in big quantities as early as the late 60's.

I realize he was taking pills all the way to then. But it was not hurting him and affecting his appearance and performances until the mid 70's.

I don't see bloat when i look at any of the Nixon photos. And you gave the indication that the bloat was caused by drugs.

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

Elvis never cleaned really up. Even his "Memphis Mafia" says that Elvis always continued to take his "medicine". At times he certainly took less stuff and at times he payed attention to what he ate and he kept on doing sports. But I believe that from the beginning of the 1960's on he never was really clean.

The Colonel looked at Elvis as an attraction to sell and not as a human being. And why not? He didn't need to be Elvis friend, a manager is hired to sell the artist. That's what Parker did. I surely didn't like the behaviour of Elvis, simply because it affected the show. If the product becomes bad, you cannot sell it. But Elvis was responsable for everything that happend to him. HE did the drugs, HE spend all his money and HE moved himself in the position that he ended up in. That's it. ELVIS WRECKED HIS LIFE HIMSELF.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

dl wrote:Elvis never cleaned really up. Even his "Memphis Mafia" says that Elvis always continued to take his "medicine". At times he certainly took less stuff and at times he payed attention to what he ate and he kept on doing sports. But I believe that from the beginning of the 1960's on he never was really clean.

The Colonel looked at Elvis as an attraction to sell and not as a human being. And why not? He didn't need to be Elvis friend, a manager is hired to sell the artist. That's what Parker did. I surely didn't like the behaviour of Elvis, simply because it affected the show. If the product becomes bad, you cannot sell it. But Elvis was responsable for everything that happend to him. HE did the drugs, HE spend all his money and HE moved himself in the position that he ended up in. That's it. ELVIS WRECKED HIS LIFE HIMSELF.
There's a difference between sell and rob!

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Joe Car wrote:
dl wrote:Elvis never cleaned really up. Even his "Memphis Mafia" says that Elvis always continued to take his "medicine". At times he certainly took less stuff and at times he payed attention to what he ate and he kept on doing sports. But I believe that from the beginning of the 1960's on he never was really clean.

There's a difference between sell and rob!
Exactly. And that's just what Colonel did. Rob Elvis.

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

It takes two: Someone who tries to rob and another one who lets it happen.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

dl wrote:It takes two: Someone who tries to rob and another one who lets it happen.
dl, I can see you holding EP accountable for problems he created for himself, but surely you can't condone the Colonel's cheating him. He trusted the man. It didn't come out until after Elvis' death about the Colonel cheating him. How was he to know, the Colonel kept everything to himself until he was investigated years later by the estate.