All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Some good nominations.

However, as I suspected they would, many posters came up with lists of favourites. There are of course difficulties with those whose first language is not English, and I appreciate that. Also, "sublime" is a difficult word to define, even for those who have a good knowledge of English vocabulary.

In normal use, there is a tendency to assume an element of 'refined' and 'cultured' within the meaning, as well as artistic or sporting perfection. Whether it is correct to do so is another matter, however.

Thus, it is stretching belief to describe Jailhouse Rock as 'sublime'. An unequalled vocal performance in that rasping voice, and a superb overall arrangement, but hard to describe as sublime. Someone else mentioned live performances of How Great Thou Art. Possibly this was true on occasion, but not very often I would suggest, especially in the later years. I have always thought the Elvis In Concert version to be somewhat uncouth and uncontrolled.

Cryogenic mentioned "Aloha-Oe", one few people would think of. The Blue Hawaii album is much neglected, and I am guilty. The arrangements are quite beautiful ; the attention to detail and quality of recording are virtually faultless. OK, dismiss "Ito Eats" and "Slicin' Sand" if you will, but this is an album of romantic beauty, worthy of comparison with any film musical, and containing several sublime recordings.

Steve Morse

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 pm

50´s: First In Line
60´s: What Now, What Next, Where To
70´s: If I Were You (Undubbed Version)

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 pm

I think "Old Shep" is sublime for the complete vocal restraint Elvis exercises from beginning to end. It's like he's singing in a timeless void.

Another is "Summer Kisses, Winter Tears". I don't like the finished master, but the alternate take on the 14th FTD release, "Silver Screen Stereo", is magical. It helps somewhat that it is preceded by a false start, where Elvis actually swears and berates Charlie, then tells the musicians not to "get it too fast", which are extremely mundane moments when contrasted with the chilling vocal that follows. But the vocal itself *is* sublime. I much prefer this rendering of the track because of the presence of tribal-like percussion and heavy echo. I really do get the sense of vast plains, a starry sky and a man alone, traversing an infinite space of desolation and loneliness, comforted only by nature's abstractions. Now, some would argue that the heavy drums contradict the emptiness of this man's situation, but I think they lend an epic edge, almost immitating the gallop of a horse, adding to this man's plight if we can imagine he's desperately trying to get everwhere and nowhere. It's an incredible recording.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:50 pm

The Moody Blue version of Unchained Melody. That performance is trancendant.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Some good nominations.

However, as I suspected they would, many posters came up with lists of favourites. There are of course difficulties with those whose first language is not English, and I appreciate that. Also, "sublime" is a difficult word to define, even for those who have a good knowledge of English vocabulary.

In normal use, there is a tendency to assume an element of 'refined' and 'cultured' within the meaning, as well as artistic or sporting perfection. Whether it is correct to do so is another matter, however.

Thus, it is stretching belief to describe Jailhouse Rock as 'sublime'. An unequalled vocal performance in that rasping voice, and a superb overall arrangement, but hard to describe as sublime. Someone else mentioned live performances of How Great Thou Art. Possibly this was true on occasion, but not very often I would suggest, especially in the later years. I have always thought the Elvis In Concert version to be somewhat uncouth and uncontrolled.

Cryogenic mentioned "Aloha-Oe", one few people would think of. The Blue Hawaii album is much neglected, and I am guilty. The arrangements are quite beautiful ; the attention to detail and quality of recording are virtually faultless. OK, dismiss "Ito Eats" and "Slicin' Sand" if you will, but this is an album of romantic beauty, worthy of comparison with any film musical, and containing several sublime recordings.

Steve Morse

I would also mention another LP that is terribly underrated in terms of Elvis' vocal performances is His Hand In Mine. Some fine work here by Elvis... 1960-61 produced some of the most beautiful recordings of Elvis' career.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:53 pm

I submit "Milky White Way" to this list. Sung effortlessly and beautifully. Elvis's worst attempt at this song would likely blow away most artists' best efforts.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm

It is very true that it can be hard to differ between personal favoutites and sublime songs. I miss Trying to get to You from Memephis '74. In this version EP shows both alittle roughness on the edge og his voice and still he has this full, mature sound that I love so much.

It is also very difficult to say when the sublime touch comes from the singing techniques and the "emotion-techniques". In the song "I can't Stop Loving You" he does some wonderful tricks around 1973-74, when in the chorus he goes up on the words "stop lovin" (a litte difficult to explain)
as heard on the version on Top Acts in Vegas vol. 4, which is not a perfect version though, bur I culd not remember where else right now.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:18 pm

Love Letters 1966 = GENIUS

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:29 pm

KHoots wrote:I submit "Milky White Way" to this list. Sung effortlessly and beautifully. Elvis's worst attempt at this song would likely blow away most artists' best efforts.

I swear I was going to post this song, it's incredible!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:22 pm

Any Place is Paradise

:smt023 :smt023

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:09 am

Joe Car wrote:
KHoots wrote:I submit "Milky White Way" to this list. Sung effortlessly and beautifully. Elvis's worst attempt at this song would likely blow away most artists' best efforts.

That's three votes for it - I mentioned it on page one :-) It is a stunning performance. A friend of mine who's not an Elvis fan particularly, asked me to compile a gospel CD a year or so back. This ended up being his favourite track. He was blown away by the quality of Elvis' voice on it.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:14 am

TJ wrote:
Joe Car wrote:

That's three votes for it - I mentioned it on page one :-) It is a stunning performance. A friend of mine who's not an Elvis fan particularly, asked me to compile a gospel CD a year or so back. This ended up being his favourite track. He was blown away by the quality of Elvis' voice on it.

You know, I just bought the Ultimate Gospel CD, and I'm stunned by his performance of this song, as well as , Where Could I Go. What a voice, what a talent!

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:22 am

deadringer wrote:I will say "ANY DAY NOW", "ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE", "THINKING ABOUT YOU".

DITTO

But would also add Let it be me and Promised Land :D

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:41 pm

50s:

Don't- I was surprised no one mentioned this one (or at least I didn't see it) The song is delivered in a seemingly effortless and passionate performance, Elvis makes it seem easy to sing, when it's REALLY not.

Trying To Get To You- Not sure if this fits the 'sublime' description, but I do consider this one of a handful of recordings that are 'perfect', meaning that not a single note could be added, subtracted or rearranged to make the performance any better. Very few recordings fit into this category, 'Baby Let's Play House' is another, so is Otis Redding's 'Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay'

60's:

I'll Remember You: The studio master of this song gets me every time I hear it. Beautiful. Sublime in every way. Another one I'm surprised no one mentioned

Any Day Now: as mentioned before

70s:

Mary In The Morning: God Bless, does Elvis give a great vocal performance on this track.

of course, there are lots more, but these are my top choices.

Sublime

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:27 am

Oxford Dictionary definition of sublime = of the highest or most exalted sort, awe-inspiring. Not my favourite, but An American Trilogy probably fits the bill.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:32 am

Are You Lonesome Tonight, They Remind Me Too Much Of You, Anything That's Part of You, Fountain of Love - a lot of the early 1960's songs in fact had "sublime" vocal performances.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:56 am

There is one we have all hideously overlooked:

"That's Someone You Never Forget"

Such a beautifully understated and perfectly delivered record.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:05 am

TJ wrote:...That's three votes for it - I mentioned it on page one :-)

Sorry about that, TJ. I truly did check to see if anyone had mentioned that song before making my post. It slipped past me! A goalie I am not. :D

Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:11 am

Surrender

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:40 am

There's a few I choose...

Loving Arms
You'll Never Walk Alone
Where No One Stands Alone (Feb.1977)
In The Ghetto
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Long Black Limousine
Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Love Me
It Hurt's Me
Unchained Melody
My Way

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:03 am

The falsetto singing on the Stereo version of "If I Loved You" sounds sublime to me !!!
Last edited by Dan_T on Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:04 pm

carolynlm wrote:Trying To Get To You from the 68 Special was pretty great.......

I'll say. Along with "If I Can Dream", that could be his greatest live performance. I've never heard ANYONE sing a song with more conviction than Elvis on these.

Another "sublime" song is "Dark Moon". Every time Elvis dips low for the chorus, there is an electricity. His voice is so mellifluous, so intimate, so transcendental. A haunting cut.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:06 pm

Brad M wrote:There's a few I choose...

Loving Arms
You'll Never Walk Alone
Where No One Stands Alone (Feb.1977)
In The Ghetto
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Long Black Limousine
Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Love Me
It Hurt's Me
Unchained Melody
My Way

Excellent list Brad!

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:09 pm

This is the kind of thread where I could keep going.

But we do have to be careful in how we interpret the word "sublime", as Mr Morse said. For instance, I wouldn't call "New Orleans" a sublime vocal, but it is unique, if only for the part where Elvis goes, "Man, you ain't been NOWHERE!" Listen to how he says "nowhere". It's like nothing I've heard in any of his other songs.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:11 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
carolynlm wrote:Trying To Get To You from the 68 Special was pretty great.......

I'll say. Along with "If I Can Dream", that could be his greatest live performance. I've never heard ANYONE sing a song with more conviction than Elvis on these.

Another "sublime" song is "Dark Moon". Every time Elvis dips low for the chorus, there is an electricity. His voice is so mellifluous, so intimate, so transcendental. A haunting cut.

Well said Cryogenic. Did you notice after he sang IICD, that he looked completely drained, it's like it took after ounce of his being to sing that song the way he did. I loved when he approached songs with "conviction" as you and likethebike have so eloquently said.