All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:53 am

I’m surprised you haven’t heard every Elvis master yet, Cryo. I also envy you for that. Man, I can still remember the thrill of getting the Silver Box and hearing "My Babe", "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", and "Hi-Heel Sneakers" for the first time. That was amazing. Actually, I first heard "My Babe" on the In Person album, but I never noticed the song before. I rarely hear it when I play that CD. It’s like my ears don’t register that recording. Strange thing. Hearing the track on Elvis Aron Presley was a revelation. Even today, I often rediscover certain songs, thinking, "Wow, this is a great recording." It’s a wonderful thing being an Elvis fan, because the Elvis library is a lush garden that always sprouts beautiful flowers you’ve never noticed before, and then you have to stop and smell the roses.

Per

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:12 am

Thinkin' About You is my choice
rick

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:56 pm

I'm Leavin'
We Can Make The Morning
Are You Lonesome Tonight
I've Lost You
Mary In The Morning
Danny Boy

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:08 pm

1. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLES WATERS. FROM TTWII AND EOT .
2. LONG BLACK LIMOUSINE .
3. WITHOUT LOVE .
4. YOU'LL BE GONE .
5. SURRENDER .
6. HOW GREAT THOU ART.- 1972 VERSION
7. WE CAN MAKE THE MORNING .
8. TOMORROW NEVER COMES
9. JUST PRETEND
10. SYLVIA

there are many others but these are my top 10.
Last edited by karlos on Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:23 pm

'Rags To Riches'.

Brian :D

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Danny Boy
Very much agree and love Danny Boy btw ...I did a good restoration for the live FTD version eliminating 2 (what seems like mic pops) distracting pops and gave great ambience a la Where No One Stands Alone (JLGB version lol). I will post it later if no one objects...

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Juan Luis wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Danny Boy
Very much agree and love Danny Boy btw ...I did a good restoration for the live FTD version eliminating 2 (what seems like mic pops) distracting pops and gave great ambience a la Where No One Stands Alone (JLGB version lol). I will post it later if no one objects...

Oh ... here we friggin' go......... :roll:

(Just teasin')

I am actually PMing you over something. Stay tuned.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:51 pm

genesim wrote:Tomorrow Never Comes! Could have been a show stopper.

That one definately gets my vote.

Would also say:

Don't
Anyway You Want Me
Love Me
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Bridge Over Troubled Water (studio)
If I Can Dream [edit: forgot that one]

This one may be out in left field, but what the hell...

Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues

(from the "remixed" Promised Land upgrade)

Rich
Last edited by Rich_TCB on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Danny Boy live 76 great sublime performance IMO.. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 6832E804C7

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:12 am

Juan Luis wrote:Danny Boy live 76 great sublime performance IMO.. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 6832E804C7

I'll be damn :!:

Sounds good Juan!

Rich

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:30 am

Juan Luis wrote:Danny Boy live 76 great sublime performance IMO.. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 6832E804C7

That's a great performance. Thanks for posting!

I wouldn't call it sublime, though; as impassioned as it is, it cannot compare with the Jungle Room master, IMO -- now that is something else.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:51 am

Cryogenic wrote:

That's a great performance. Thanks for posting!

I wouldn't call it sublime, though; as impassioned as it is, it cannot compare with the Jungle Room master, IMO -- now that is something else.
A one take live song and by request,unplanned=wow! :)

Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:58 am

Every time I hear this song, regardless who sings it, it chokes me up, it was my late father's favorite song. What a magnificent performance, live to boot, thanks!

Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 am

Danny Boy home recording from Germany in 1958. Wow! That voice.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 am

Well....

I just listened to "How Great Thou Art" again.

I'm not religious AT ALL, but his singing here is just stunning. The depth of his voice connotes the divine and is exceeded only by his sheer reverence for a greater unknown. I'm not sure that the human voice can sound closer to perfection than that.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:49 pm

It's true that Elvis' catalog is just loaded with gems. Cryo, have you identified what masters you haven't heard?

Getting back to Steve Morse's original post and intent, I'm not sure if the dictionary meaning of "sublime" rules out what he calls "uncouth" version of '77's "How Great Thou Art." "Reconsider Baby" is also "uncouth" and wonderful for it, as is "Jailhouse Rock."

Merrium-Webster has a listing as follows:

Main Entry: 2 sublime
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): sub·lim·er; -est

Etymology: Latin sublimis, literally, high, elevated

1 a : lofty, grand, or exalted in thought, expression, or manner

b : of outstanding spiritual, intellectual, or moral worth

c : tending to inspire awe usually because of elevated quality (as of beauty, nobility, or grandeur) or transcendent excellence

2 a archaic : high in place b obsolete : lofty of mien : HAUGHTY c capitalized : SUPREME -- used in a style of address d : COMPLETE, UTTER <sublime ignorance>

By Mr. Morse's interpretation, however, I know the sort of songs he was aiming at. However, it is indeed a bit of a culturally-loaded interpretation, as blues and gospel singing are by definition outside traditional interpretations of proper singing. It's why the Mitch Millers and Steve Allens of 1956 cryed foul when Elvis yelped and howled his way through "Heartbreak Hotel," etc.

But I'm willing to run with the "smooth" or "higher" sense of the word, as I'm a lover of Elvis' smoother tracks as well.

I have been enjoying "Tender Feeling" of all things lately. It can be heard on the "Kissin Cousins" soundtrack - or the "Burning Love" Camden release where many well remember it.

It's not just his voice that I like on it, but that guitar sound on the opening licks. For 1963, it's clearly a more '60's sounding song, whereas others of that time still had that '50s heritage that leaked into the early '60s. Perhaps it's the comforting traditional melody the song is based upon. Elvis is rather restrained on it but just perfect.

Cryo, I hear you about "Fun In Acapulco." Perhaps our lack of connection to the Spanish language allows us to just "hear" the music, other considerations aside. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" confounded some country & western / bluegrass fans for marrying black blues vocals to a goosed-version of Bill Monroe's classic. Now that was sacrilege too. :lol: As for the '77 version of "It's Now Or Never," I have no problem with the addition of the "Mexican" horns. Elvis was about nothing if he was not about breaking the "rules." :lol: But yes, let's not get sidetracked on the bigger issue.

I like the idea of spotlighting songs that are somewhat lost. I look forward to making compilations of such songs. However, nearly any of the songs that already are well-known bona fide classics from "From Elvis in Memphis," for instance, will probably be by-passed at first, just because I've already made them "big hits" to myself!

What I intend to do is to go through all the movie soundtracks and compile (for my own pleasure) a compilation of somewhat less familiar tunes. This will rule out the '50s, which I long ago played to death. But the '60 soundtracks I haven't always had a chance to play that much, in part because I have to be in the mood.

The time has probably passed , but I would have loved RCA/Sony/BMG to reach deeper into Elvis' catalog and spotlight songs from "Harum Scarum" (I'm not kidding) and make a more fresh movie song compilation instead of just the big hits. It could be done.