All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:26 am

As I have said before, I have heard a couple of the tracks I think the sound quality on some of the Sun Masters will surprise you, as the one I heard (Baby Let's Play House) sounded fabulous, and wasn't sourced from a record like the last MRS set's masters were.

And, Doc, while I generally agree with you on alot of stuff, I can't say that I share you're view that Ernst volumes are the Ultimate end-all rescource relating to 1954-1955. There is plenty of room on my bookshelf for more than one 'Sun' era tome, and more than likely there will be some unpublished photos from 55 in this volume that aren't in Ernst's book, not to mention other things. I found the first MRS (colorization aside) to be a very interesting and worthwhile book simply for some of the rare artifacts and photos inside.

I am looking forward to this book. I think it might surprise us all.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:31 am

The fact that Joe Tunzi is involved also raises the bar, too.

There's a lot of truth to the idea that the same Sun freaks who'll shell out for Ernst's Sun box will also want the MRS sets.

After all, some of those same people (or their counterpart Elvis fans) now own version after version of the '70s dive bomber routine, "Love Me Tender," "See See Rider," etc.

The Sun era has been exploited ("The Sun Sessions," "The Complete Sun Sessions," "Sunrise," "Elvis At Sun"...) but why not a little more? :D

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:17 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The Sun era has been exploited ("The Sun Sessions," "The Complete Sun Sessions," "Sunrise," "Elvis At Sun"...) but why not a little more? :D

They milk that cow till it doesn`t eat grass any more...lol..

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:41 am

Greg Nolan jr. wrote: Ekenee, you're in the USA, correct? That disc came out a few years ago and you get it now for like new condition for about $7-8, I'm sure.

What's with all this cost-conscious pride shown by some people here about missing out on "Elvis At Sun" in the name of waiting for Ernst's Sun box?

Yes I am in the USA. The reason I didn't buy it was that if you recall the Sun FTD box was supposed to come out only a few months after the single cd. I figured i could wait. Then it got held back again and again.
I really didn't want to spoil the box set for myself by purchasing the single cd. At this point I waited this long, I may as well just wait it out.
You just listed a ton of Sun era cd's. I have most of those, so I really didn't need the new one, save the sound impovements, which I will get on the FTD set. I also have some Bootleg sun singles that were made from mint Sun singles that sound good. I actually thought Sunrise was pretty good sound, so I am not as picky as some audiophiles. I may buy this Memphis recording thing volume 2 if the reality matches the hype.
We shall see. I do remember the dissapointment there was in some of the reviews on volume one.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:25 pm

as someone said earlier they could have 2 seconds of unknown footage...would that be worth it? they could mix it with known footage and have a pint size dvd....now if they have truly uncovered some master session reels and give us outtakes and alternate versions of existing sun songs or unknown sun songs then I could get really excited!

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:47 pm

I'll wait for the FTD release and hope Ernst makes this the best and most definitive Sun release ever! :wink:

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:39 pm

I'm surprised at the doc making statements about something he has not seen or heard to date............I respect his opinion very much but this time hes wrong.....sure elvis at sun is the best ever. to date.....but Ireserve judgement on this new project till I hear it.................

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:50 am

Will wrote:I'm surprised at the doc making statements about something he has not seen or heard to date............I respect his opinion very much but this time hes wrong.....sure elvis at sun is the best ever. to date.....but Ireserve judgement on this new project till I hear it.................

Of course, no one has a copy of MRS V2 yet.

BUT -- an example of the MRS V2 art is available -- and it's awful -- and Kevan Budd did not contribute to the audio work.

So, citing a lousy, misguided aesthetic regarding the art, and casting grave doubt on the audio being an improvement on 2004's Elvis At SUN (BMG), is nothing to dismiss.

And in discussing the "high quality" claims of MRS V1 with someone who knows a LOT about this, I was informed it was the "worst sounding sun release ever!" It doesn't bode well for V2, does it?

Let the buyer beware. I've said all I've got to say.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:33 am

The rumored two seconds of Meridian parade footage could be nice, though once it is out it will be everywhere, and most likely more complete since it will have lost its collectors value once released in part,

'youtube' hear we come!

I also wonder if this set will include 'Harbor Lights', 'Tomorrow Night' and 'When It Rains It Really Pours' as then it would definitely be breaking the law. Not a good move if they have!

The better sound claim is probably going to be just a bloated bass boost as is common these days, but it is not how the original songs are meant to sound!. Also to stay on the right side of the law they will need to use recordings from records, as anything else may see them in court.

I noticed too that they claimed 'Harbour Lights' was always released dry, when as we know it only actually first featured on 'Elvis At Sun' in this way, all other releases has the echo!

At the end of the day is the set worth all the money for a 2 second clip that will be on 'youtube' the same day it's released? I don't think so! and for certain, everything else and more will be on the FTD set.

BMG/SONY/FTD spent a lot of money on 'Elvis At Sun' and the FTD box set, what a shame we have these pirates confusing and diluting the market, possibly ending with FTD unwilling to finance further early sets.

We need to support FTD and the official releases.
Last edited by Keith F on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:38 am

...indeed, buyer beware; do not be poisoned by by some on this message board regarding The Memphis Recording Service Vol 2 - See the product for yourself and make your own judgement call.

For all those that don't like the colourised photos, stick to your B&W versions and don't make the purchase, simple as that.

elvisonline

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:17 am

[quote="Keith F"]

At the end of the day is the set worth all the money for a 2 second clip that will be on 'youtube' the same day it's released? I don't think so! and for certain, everything else and more will be on the FTD set.

I'm pinning my hopes on the FTD release aswell. Unless new material is found, I hope this will be the last Sun release as Sun material has been beaten to death! :smt021 Let's focus on other projects like more 70s outtakes and bring out all the 'Classic Album Series' before we all 'cark it'.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:55 am

Given that every five or so years, the audio can be improved significantly (or has been thus far) and extra songs have been found, just what is the problem? I love all eras of Elvis' career almost equally, but let's not pretend that the Sun era isn't extremely historic and important in ways that some of his material is not. :roll:

I bought "The Sun Sessions" in the '70s, the '87 "Complete Sun Sessions" and actually didn't get '99's "Sunrise" until a few years later, but happily sprung for "Elvis at Sun" once I read rave after rave about Kevan Budd's excellent remastering and some new tapes.

And they were right! Take it from a skeptic, Ekenee (and I always put down RCA for always re-issuing and recompiling Elvis material): it's still worth getting as soon as possible.

Besides, in the Elvis world at least, Sun projects really do need our support, as all too many (even here, arguably) are too quick to buy the lastest "genre" set or "Christmas Peace" or "Love Elvis" ...Let's face it, even here, you have people with 30-plus versions of "Hurt" recorded live, but can't be bothered to buy the best ever version of the Sun sessions. or complain that "Let Yourself Go" has a "too raw" Elvis...

(And I don't mean you, Ekenee, as you were waiting for the Sun box..)

I must say that having the Doctor and Keith Flynn unite to denigrate the Memphis Recording Service (MRS) set gives this fence sitter some pause.....

There surely is some milking going on, but isn't that always true? I'm probably down to just wanting the 45 rpm single (from the mother stamper) in each package.... :oops: :lol: There are an awful lot of demerits, I do have to admit.

Additional opinions are welcome on MRS.This "habit" is getting expensive, so I need all the input as possible, as most all else of us do.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:24 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Given that every five or so years, the audio can be improved significantly...

Huh? On what planet?

1 - Original SUN and RCA singles (1954-55)
=> 21 years
2 - The Sun Sessions (1976)
=> 11 years
3 - The Complete Sun Sessions (1987)
=> 12 years
4 - Sunrise (1999)
=> 5 years
5 - Elvis At SUN (2004)
=> 2 years and counting

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:... just what is the problem?

Re-read my posts on this subject.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Besides, in the Elvis world at least, Sun projects really do need our support ...

Wrong. Quality SUN projects deserve fan support.

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I must say that having the Doctor and Keith Flynn unite to denigrate the MRS set gives this fence sitter some pause ...

My comments do not denigrate MRS V2, they only serve to highlight the fact that dubious claims about audio, inept artwork on vintage photos and a precedent of delivering less than promised (MRS V1) makes for a very suspect Elvis release. Period.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 am

Wow, that MRS set really gets you riled up. With the public domain laws set as they are in the U.K., it's certainly their right to give it a go with a deluxe package, even if they fall fall short.

And do not those 1999 Elvis compact discs sound slightly worse (in an audiphile sense) than, say, Kevan Budd's recent remasters of the same early albums ? C'mon, Doc. You know what I mean. Ask thenexte or midnightx or JLGB if you're not familiar with the advances of the CD medium.

And of course, I know each year those Sun albums came out in. :lol: I meant the audio advances in general, naturally.

Or are you also saying that you wish RCA hadn't gone to the Sun mat time and again? I admit to some grumbling myself when "Elvis At Sun" came out: I'd not bought "Sunrise" all that much earlier. And of course, it was yet another new "title."

For the record, do you (or did you) own the first MRS set, or at least have an opportunity to review it firsthand?

Your opinions will be taken into account on this set as to whether I'll buy it along with others along the way. :D

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:23 pm

It is unfortunate that the MRS is considered a second class product. I was thrilled when I received my copy, thought the whole package was well put together, and the colourising of the photos added to the overall presentation.

I would be very interested to know if the Doc has actually held the product in the flesh and seen and heard the contents of the DVD Audio and the 7" vinyl pressing of TARM. It is unfair to make presumptions about a product based on a simple dislike of colourised images.

We do not know when the FTD Sun project is actually coming, and I challenge anyone to show where a better Sun era project exists beyond that of the MRS volumes? Sound wise of course there is Elvis at Sun, but as an overall package, there is nothing to date to touch the MRS.

I will definately be getting volume 2 in November, not as a substitute for any released or forthcoming Sun era project but as a companion.

elvisonline

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:00 pm

I guess for some of us poor folks the cost ratio is a factor here.
Are we getting quality and quantity for what we are paying?

As far as volume one was concerned the answer was "no".

It all seemed like a budget project at full price.

If I get volume 2, it will depend on how much footage is included and what the total cost is for the set.

I am glad that Ernst is doing a full Sun era set because I think its better to have one great set, than 2 mediocre sets.

I disagree with the producer for breaking this up into 2 sets. Since it does only focus on one section of Elvis' career. Kind of reminds me of the 2 volume "he touched me" sets. It should have been done as one program. It delutes it for me and I realize they only do it for one reason......

MONEY......And I hate being ripped off for no other reason than to pay for 2 volumes when it should have only been one.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:19 am

And I hate being ripped off for no other reason than to pay for 2 volumes when it should have only been one.

I think this is because the producers have the mother stampers to the That's All Right and Mystery Train 45s and to package 2 records, 2DVD-A's (or CDs) and a large book would have cost a hell of a lot to produce and sell in one chunk, so splitting it into two makes it more affordable to the average consumer (who doesn't buy them at the same time).

That being said, I'll say I liked the first one, and I have to stand up for the project because I do have friends who have contributed to both this and Ernst's FTD project.

First of all as far as the colorization goes, yeah it can be a little cheesy now and then, but so was the colorized cover on 'Elvis at Sun', did that make 'Elvis At Sun' an unworthy project? Certainly not.

Secondly, as far as the sound on the first project goes all of the Sun Masters on that Volume were obviously sourced from 78 records, as I have said before, I have heard 'Baby Let's Play House' from this set and can tell you, it is NOT THE CASE for this volume. And to volume 1's credit, it does contain the best sounding source of the first hayride performance, and the only complete release of the 'That's Where Your Heartaches Begin' acetate. Just a guitar strum, as some have pointed out, but I imagine a very difficult strum to obtain for a non-RCA affiliated group.

As far as the footage is concerned, we all hope that it is a substantial portion of film of Elvis in 55, but in the end all we can do is HOPE. We are at the mercy of history here, and if only a few seconds were filmed, that's all they can offer. Would you rather them NOT release it if it is only a few seconds, or would you rather see what they have?

Also, Keith F, you pointed out that 'they' claimed that 'Harbor Lights' had always been released dry. That is incorrect. I claimed that. Since I am not affiliated with the production of this project you cannot blame 'them' for my mistake. That being said, you were right, I was wrong.

Another thing I will say about Vol 1 is that I thought the book was the real jewel of the package. It was decently written, and had many rare artifacts (and a couple photos) in it that I had not seen before (I mean this book is the only place that you can actually LOOK at Elvis's Sun contract, barring owning a copy), and as far as price goes, the price is comparable to any Tunzi book, and the books are about the same size, so everything else is extra.

I also don't understand this idea that skipping this book is 'supporting Ernst and FTD'. I think the competition will make Ernst's FTD project better. After all competition from the bootleg market is what made him start FTD in the first place, and look how much we've benefitted from that. The bottom line is competing projects are going to make Ernst & Co put their absolute best into their FTD project, so I welcome MRS 2, and look forward to the FTD Sun set as well.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:18 am

Did the Plant send back the masters to Sam? Also, these tapes would not have "Dry" takes ( seeing these were used for the making of the mother stampers etc. ). They wouldn't have been outtakes either.
Anyways, I'll get this new volume just for the '55 footage. And I am gonna get the FTD boxset too.
Man, if I don't get credit for all that info I sent ( if they use it ) then I'll be really pissed.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:10 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:First of all as far as the colorization goes, yeah it can be a little cheesy now and then, but so was the colorized cover on 'Elvis at Sun', did that make 'Elvis At Sun' an unworthy project? Certainly not.

Please, cut the crap. The difference between the cover of Elvis At SUN and the MRS art is the difference between tasteful and tasteless.

And ALL of the other images used for Elvis At SUN were kept to their original BxW or color pedigrees.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:I also don't understand this idea that skipping this book is 'supporting Ernst and FTD'.

Nor do I -- if a package is a quality production, like Ger Rijff's wonderful photo journals, it should be supported. As I've written several times over, the value of the MRS sets is suspect on many levels.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:The bottom line is competing projects are going to make Ernst & Co put their absolute best into their FTD project ...

More crap. For example, if a retired person who possessed a item of value was approached by one person and then another for the same item, would that make it easier or harder for FTD to get the job done, and done well?

All this "competition" engenders are headaches for the people who are trying to create a definitive statement of Elvis Presley's early career.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:45 pm

Please, cut the crap. The difference between the cover of Elvis At SUN and the MRS art is the difference between tasteful and tasteless.

And ALL of the other images used for Elvis At SUN were kept to their original BxW or color pedigrees.

I personally think the Elvis at Sun cover was the cheesiest things RCA has come up with in close to a decade-including most FTD covers, and Doc if you had actually LOOKED at a copy of MRS volume 1 you would realize the good majority of rare photos inside are in the original black and white (with the unfortunate exception of the Overton Shell photos, which I admit, was regrettable.) But to pretend that the colorization of a few photos deminishes the value of the unpublished content that the volume brings is ridiculous. After all it contains SEVERAL previously unpublished contracts, The original Hand-Painted ad for 'That's All Right' from Pop-Tunes (which has been on display at the Smithsonian's 'Rock N' Soul' Museum for awhile, but never before published), Pictures of an early Acetate of TARM and the My Hapiness acetate. AND a photo of the very first 78 of 'That's All Right' signed by Elvis to his good friend Ed Leek.- All incredibly rare stuff.

the value of the MRS sets is suspect on many levels.

perhaps becuase you haven't actually SEEN a copy.

For example, if a retired person who possessed a item of value was approached by one person and then another for the same item, would that make it easier or harder for FTD to get the job done, and done well?

All this "competition" engenders are headaches for the people who are trying to create a definitive statement of Elvis Presley's early career.

This is working on the faulty assumption that both researchers went to exactly the same sources and talked to exactly the same people. I know for a FACT this is not the case. Come on, doc, there were alot of fans with cameras in 1955. It's not like 3 retired old men have ALL of the 1954/55 Elvis pictures and artifacts (though it does seem that way sometime).

Of course, I can't persuade you one way or the other, but when this project comes out, I believe it will be well worth having ALONGSIDE the FTD set, and I think alot of other fans will, too.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:31 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:I personally think the Elvis at Sun cover was the cheesiest things RCA has come up with in close to a decade ...

And yet, it's still not as ugly and wrong-headed as the MRS artwork.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:... with the unfortunate exception of the Overton Shell photos, which I admit, was regrettable.

You say regrettable, I say tasteless. We're on the same page at last.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:But to pretend that the colorization of a few photos deminishes the value of the unpublished content that the volume brings is ridiculous.

When did I do that?

KingOfTheJungle wrote:This is working on the faulty assumption that both researchers went to exactly the same sources and talked to exactly the same people. I know for a FACT this is not the case.

OK ... since you are rather close to the inner workings of this product, I don't need to elaborate on why the MRS project is a thorn in the side of those people trying to accomplish something precious and rare.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:15 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
But to pretend that the colorization of a few photos deminishes the value of the unpublished content that the volume brings is ridiculous.

When did I do that?

You constantly talk about the colorization and bad sound quality, when I mention the sound quality is from FAR better sources than Volume one, and judging from the first volume that the book is the real highlight, you continue to talk about the 'tasteless artwork'. This reminds me of Bush's 'I never said Saddam was linked to 9/11'

True, you never SAID that it diminishes the value of the CONTENT, but you have constantly implied that it diminishes the value of the PROJECT, which is basically one in the same when referring to a Historical volume. So it is time for you, Dr. John, to cut the crap.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
This is working on the faulty assumption that both researchers went to exactly the same sources and talked to exactly the same people. I know for a FACT this is not the case.

OK ... since you are rather close to the inner workings of this product, I don't need to elaborate on why the MRS project is a thorn in the side of those people trying to accomplish something precious and rare.

I'm not really sure what you mean here, I guess I'm not close enough to the project, but I will say that I know people who contibuted DIFFERENT photos to BOTH projects. My point is BOTH will offer different rarities to the public. When it is released, I think the reaction in general will be good, and any 54/55 era fan who isn't able to get a copy will be at a loss, but ONLY time will tell.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:28 am

Wrong again, woodyjohn ...

Woof woof!

Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:46 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Of course, I can't persuade you one way or the other, but when this project comes out, I believe it will be well worth having ALONGSIDE the FTD set, and I think alot of other fans will, too.

Having re-read this whole thread, I now realise who you are now 'KingOfTheJungle' :wink: and that you are connected to both (MRS & FTD) projects!
Last edited by Keith F on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:15 am

I now realise who you are now 'KingOfTheJungle' and that you are connected to both (MRS & FTD) projects!

a wise deduction.