All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Memphis Recording Service 2 out in November!

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:33 am

Just saw that Pirzada & Co. have put out the press release for Vol.2 of his MRS series.
Unreleased 55 footage WOW! I must say I wasn't expecting anything like that!!- even if it only turns out to be a short clip what a HUGE find.

I'll also say this, I was slipped a couple of "preview" tracks in mp3 form by someone working on the project. One was the live Hayride performance of "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone". It seems Joseph got ahold of the original acetate because two things are noticeably different

1) The speed is stable, UNLIKE sunrise and everything else I've heard.
and
2) There is a spoken (though somewhat muffled) introduction to the song by Elvis that was not previously released.

The other track I got was "Baby Let's Play House"- the studio version. VERY IMPRESSIVE, I can't wait to hear an uncompressed version.

This is definately going to be a "must have" release.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:44 am

The first volume I thought was pretty
cool, I personally was impressed....

This second volume looks promising :wink:

Any comments as to how you feel this
will compare to what Ernst has in store
for us...?
Here is the press release on the upcoming book "Memphis Recording Service Volume 2 - The Rise Of Elvis Presley: 1955". It is scheduled for release at the end of November 2006. Much bigger in all proportions that its predecessor Volume 1, again the package is Produced by Joseph Pirzada and this time Co- Produced by Joseph A Tunzi.

This package is the most detailed than has ever been released before

The package will consist of:

DVD-Audio Dolby Digital DVD

1. This will contain Unreleased footage, never before seen, which will mark the first known for Elvis Presley that predates the Magnolia Gardens and Lubbock footage of 1955.

2. A 5.1 DVD Audio / Dolby Digital Recording Of 40 fully restored tracks from 1955 (including 9 Bonus Tracks from 1954) including Studio, Interviews and Live with sound quality that surpasses all previous Elvis’ releases on this era including ‘ Elvis at Sun’.

Lots of surprises on the audio for the disc as it will contain with previous unreleased material from using never before original sources of masters, acetates and tapes to produce high quality sound never before heard, straight to 5.1 Audio/ Dolby Digital sound. A selection of rare photographs is used to accompany each song.

Songs include: Baby Let’s Play House, Mystery Train, Trying To get To You, Blue Moon, Shake rattle and Roll and many more.

Book

The Rise of Elvis Presley - Volume 2 1955

The book contains lots of exclusive new information on Elvis Presley in 1955 and is written by Joseph Pirzada and Co- Written once again by John Michael Heath.

See the hundreds of historical rare insider documents and photographs, many of which have never before been seen. This incredible 200 page book is the best compilation ever compiled. Go on a journey to over 300 shows that year with great stories and exclusive new information, unpublished photographs and documents.

Vinyl

Original 45rpm Sun Master 223 ‘Mystery Train’ Vinyl Repress

Processed and pressed for the first time since 1977 from the original SUN 45rpm master 223 mother stamper. The original Sun 223 45rpm issue of 'Mystery Train' was Elvis Presley's last record on the Sun Record Label released in August 1955.

It has now been released here for the first time since 1955 in its original format, processed from the same mother stamper that Sun used at the time. If you have never been fortunate to own the original pressing we present 'Mystery Train' back in its original format.

Original link I found it from...
http://elvisnews.com/Presentation/Funct ... &item=8326

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:54 am

I wonder what unreleased footage they are talking about. They have their work cut out for them if they are going to top the sound on Elvis At Sun. The Vol 1 had the first Hayride performance and that did sound fantastic.

Also, when is the FTD Sun box set coming out? That's the release I'm really looking forwad to.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:04 pm

I am being lazy and not doing any research on this but will any of the SUN recordings be released in their DRY form? My understanding is that the recordings mostly exist only with the echo??

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:31 pm

Where can Vol. 1 of this set be obtained? Thank You.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:34 pm

not sure if mrs has dry sources but i think the ftd one will possibly.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:37 pm

hey king does the acetate have the skip like on the previous release?

Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:39 pm

music2 wrote:Where can Vol. 1 of this set be obtained? Thank You.

http://www.memphisrecordingservice.com/vol.htm
PEP 8)

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Great news, thanks for the headsup!

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:28 pm

It can be bought at HMV

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:49 pm

The first Volume was a great treat for fans - no doubt about it.

Really looking forward to Volume 2.

Doubtless some will moan that we are already getting a full retrospective in the FTD set, but I think that there is room for 2 such deluxe packages on this LEGENDARY era!!!

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:38 pm

The volume 1 was (and still is) available on play.com too. I think it's a bargain for 16 pounds.

Funny to see that on the play.com Top Selling DVD-Audio list it's at number 5 and Elvis 30 #1 Hits is at 7.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:49 pm

PEP wrote:
Lots of surprises on the audio for the disc as it will contain with previous unreleased material ..

Anybody knows what they are talking about...??

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Blue slacks with a pink jacket. We think not!! :?

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:51 pm

not sure if mrs has dry sources but i think the ftd one will possibly.

The only Sun Master recordings recorded dry were from Elvis's first session. "Harbor Lights" "I Love You Because" and "That's All Right". The Dry "That's All Right" was available on MRS Vol 1, the others have always been released Dry.

hey king does the acetate have the skip like on the previous release?

Unfortuatenly richie, yes the skip seems to remain, but overall this track is much more listenable than what you have heard before. I heard only a preliminary version, I think they might fix the gap by splicing it in a manner similar to what RCA did. This version is THE MOST complete though, with Elvis's spoken introduction and the performance from the first guitar note, instead of simply fading in.

Any comments as to how you feel this
will compare to what Ernst has in store
for us...?

PEP, judging from #1, I'll say Ernst probably will have more unpublished pictures, but he's been doing this for twenty years.

On the other hand, Joseph did come up with a few rare photo gems in his last one, and had some neat artifacts to top it off with, and I SERIOUSLY doubt Ernst will have unreleased footage on his project (unless he comes up with the pied piper or EARLIER footage, that will be HARD to top) so I think these projects will nicely compliment each other rather than being in direct competition. Each will DEFINATELY have something different to offer.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:22 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:Blue slacks with a pink jacket. We think not!! :?

My eyes aren't the greatest, but they look more like jeans to me and I'm sure that's not case.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:44 pm

Marko wrote:

I wonder what unreleased footage they are talking about.

I wondered about this myself. It can't be any Pied Piper footage since they say it predates the Magnolia Gardens footage.

The only footage that I have ever read about is the 2 second clip at the Jimmy Rogers Parade in Meridian Mississippi in May of 1955.
Could it be that? Hard to say. I can't imagine a whole dvd put together for a 2 second clip.

Or it could be some previously unknown footage.
Wouldn't it be cool if he had the footage of a Hayride show.
Or a local tv show like the Orbison show.

Anyone care to speculate?

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:54 pm

ekenee wrote:Marko wrote:

I wonder what unreleased footage they are talking about.

I wondered about this myself. It can't be any Pied Piper footage since they say it predates the Magnolia Gardens footage.

The only footage that I have ever read about is the 2 second clip at the Jimmy Rogers Parade in Meridian Mississippi in May of 1955.
Could it be that? Hard to say. I can't imagine a whole dvd put together for a 2 second clip.

Or it could be some previously unknown footage.
Wouldn't it be cool if he had the footage of a Hayride show.
Or a local tv show like the Orbison show.

Anyone care to speculate?

I'm sure it didn't take too long! :lol:

Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 am

What's the point of a 5.1 Dolby release on mono source material? They stroking themselves about dry tapes being used, but if they create a 5.1 release doesn't this entail digital processing and digital reverb to "fan" the mono audio information to the rear channels to create an ambient mix?

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:54 am

I'm so not looking forward to this release. That claim about the sound being better than Elvis At SUN is an outright lie, I can't stand the "Happy Days" colurized photos, and it is highly suspicious from where some of the tracks originate.

Save your time and your money for the real deal -- Ernst's SUN FTD book and CD set is not too far off. You won't believe the amazing unpublished -- and true color -- photos and fascinating, first-person accounts from those early days. A lot of time is going into this project. Plus, the whole shebang will be mastered by the great Kevan Budd.

'Nuff said.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:55 am

I'm with the Doc...how can it possibly sound better than Kevan Budd's "Elvis At Sun"??? That is a mighty tall claim. If and only if they had the original session tape master reels would I think that it could be better than Kevan's work (and only because Kevan did not have these original tapes to work with!) and to my knowledge those reels are long gone with "Satisfied", the alternate "Just Because", and all those glorious outtakes of "Baby, Let's Play House", "Good Rockin' Tonight".....etc.... :cry: How I wish that wasn't so... :cry:

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:33 am

Putting aside the dubious claim about sound quality, this release may be very interesting if the previously unseen footage is worthwhile. The earliest ever footage of Elvis on stage sounds pretty exciting to me.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:51 am

TJ wrote: The earliest ever footage of Elvis on stage sounds pretty exciting to me.

It doesn't say, "on stage", hence my reference to the Meridian Mississippi parade.

---------------------------------------
DJC wrote:

I'm so not looking forward to this release. That claim about the sound being better than Elvis At SUN is an outright lie, I can't stand the "Happy Days" colurized photos, and it is highly suspicious from where some of the tracks originate.

Save your time and your money for the real deal -- Ernst's SUN FTD book and CD set is not too far off. You won't believe the amazing unpublished -- and true color -- photos and fascinating, first-person accounts from those early days. A lot of time is going into this project. Plus, the whole shebang will be mastered by the great Kevan Budd.

I tend you agree with you on this issue with a few reservations.
Yes the colorization is plain wrong.
The improved sound issue is nothing more than subjective and or smart marketing.

That said, I will say that I passed on the first volume, and I did not buy
"Elvis at Sun" preferring to wait for the FTD book cd set.

Here is where I am torn. Let us assume that volume 2 of this new project has new Sun era stories and he was able to find a lot of previously unearthed photos. And not to mention the earliest known footage of our hero. Then this project would have some merit, would it not?

Anything that can be found to help piece together the hazy Sun era is more than welcome. Its all part of the puzzle isn't it?

I will of course wait and see what it really turns out to be, and in the mean time, I am still awaiting the Sun era Box set.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm so not looking forward to this release. That claim about the sound being better than Elvis At SUN is an outright lie, I can't stand the "Happy Days" colurized photos, and it is highly suspicious from where some of the tracks originate.

Indeed.

LOL @ "Happy Days"

Incidentally: why have they coloured Elvis' pants blue? Didn't he wear pink and black? Why are they screwing with history and trying to make him look like an indie rocker in denim jeans?

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:04 am

ekenee wrote:I will say that I passed on the first volume, and I did not buy
"Elvis at Sun" preferring to wait for the FTD book cd set.... I am still awaiting the Sun era Box set.

Ekenee, you're in the USA, correct? That disc came out a few years ago and you get it now for like new condition for about $7-8, I'm sure.

What's with all this cost-conscious pride shown by some people here about missing out on "Elvis At Sun" in the name of waiting for Ernst's Sun box? C'mon people, vote with your dollars and get on board one of the great re-releases thus far in the new century. That Sun box has been pending for some time but on the raves alone about Kevan Budd's remastering, you'd think people would get over the fact that they are buying the same tracks yet again...

I remain confused about all the opinions I've seen on FEEC about the "MRS" volumes, but will probably try them on for size.

In as much as everyone should spring for "Elvis At Sun" until the mythical Sun box emerges from Ernt's laboratory, could a Sun fan do worse than to spring for the "MRS" sets? They do seem to have some value here and there, "Happy Days"-style look notwithstanding...

I'll be judging for myself. I hope I don't regret it. :oops: :cry: These are not cheap sets. :shock: