All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:16 pm

Elton wrote:yes Renan, a 5:34 version recorded in vegas 8/23/69 at the m.s.

as found on "Collectors Gold" 3rd disk, live In Las Vegas


Elvis did not close with this song. He closed with Can´t Help Falling In Love every August 1969 concert as far as I am aware.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:27 pm

Elvis gave about 1200 shows.

We have audio access to about 650 different shows at the moment...
So how can one say how many times a special song was performed..??

The song More was mentioned which Elvis sung somewhere in August 1970..
Elvis gave 58 shows during this stand..we can listen to 18 of them...
No one knows how many times he sang this song in the 40 remaining shows...we simply have no setlists or audio proofs..

So this discussion doesn`t make sense...

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:28 pm

Renan wrote:
Elton wrote:yes Renan, a 5:34 version recorded in vegas 8/23/69 at the m.s.

as found on "Collectors Gold" 3rd disk, live In Las Vegas


Elvis did not close with this song. He closed with Can´t Help Falling In Love every August 1969 concert as far as I am aware.


Maybe he is referring to the fact that in the open night, Elvis seemed to have closed the show with What I'd say, only to return to the stage (like an encore) to perform CHFIL

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Listen, Elton, that was a compilation. Elvis never closed with that song,
You are so right, I stand corrected!!
My bad!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Elvis closed a few shows with "The Impossible Dream".

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:19 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Doc, old boy, you’re wrong about the medley.

Thanks, old chap. Of course, the 1977 performance of the gospel medley is the best sounding of the three available versions.

Sadly, you're mistaken about several items:

"I John" - several
"Mary In The Morning" - no known live versions
"Crying In The Chapel" - several
songs from the 1961 concerts - outside scope of topic
"Mr. Tambourine Man" (1975) - nope

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:26 pm

thekingisalive wrote:Listen, Elton, that was a compilation. Elvis never closed with that song ...

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Maybe he is referring to the fact that in the open night, Elvis seemed to have closed the show with What I'd say, only to return to the stage (like an encore) to perform CHFIL.

Yes! From all accounts, Elvis walked off after the finish of "What'd I Say," quickly returning to "encore" with "Can't Help Falling In Love."

Whether he did it every show is open to debate, as he didn't always use the Ray Charles classic as the pentultimate song in his August 1969 sets.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Mary In The Morning" - no known live versions


Though he did rehearse it. Hopefully, something might turn up in the future...

The curious thing about rare songs, in addition to the fact that they're, well... rare, is that there's a decent chance they might be performed half well. We all know that Elvis grew bored of the same-old, same-old very quickly, so rarer numbers were sure to get a better treatment. But then again, that holds if, and only if, Elvis was really trying, and not just tossing the song on the scrap heap, like most of his numbers from the 70's live shows. This man really needed to throw his touring schedule out the window and come up with far fewer, far longer shows. His highly repetitive, truncated format may have worked initially in Vegas, but it really didn't work so well on the road. We know the rest.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Doc, don’t attempt to put words in my mouth that I have never used. That is dishonest and shows lack of maturity in the person who does this. I never said "I, John" was done just once, I said it MIGHT have been done once (MIGHT being the key word here; do yourself a favor and look it up in the dictionary – read and learn, as you’re so fond of saying).

"Mary in the Morning" was done live at least once during his third Vegas stand and resides as an audience recording in the BMG vaults. That may be a little known fact but a fact all the same.

So "Crying in the Chapel" was done more than once? That is certainly news to me. Please back up your claim with specific dates, and don’t throw one-liners at me. In short, prove what you say or shut your ignorant trap.

I know that the 1961 concerts are "outside scope of topic", but I mentioned them anyway as a sidenote, because most people have a tendency of passing them by.

I used the word RUMOR about "Mr. Tambourine Man" and clearly stated there is no evidence to back this up. Perhaps it’s time for another dive into that dictionary? You seem to be in dire need of it.

But perhaps you are being obtuse on purpose, simply because you don’t like to be corrected, kind of like a spoiled brat.

Per

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:05 am

thekingisalive wrote:Doc, don’t attempt to put words in my mouth ...

I didn't, old chap.

thekingisalive wrote:... read and learn, as you’re so fond of saying ...

So fond? When was the last time I wrote that, old chap?

thekingisalive wrote:"Mary in the Morning" was done live at least once during his third Vegas stand and resides as an audience recording in the BMG vaults. That may be a little known fact but a fact all the same.

Hmm, how would I reply if I were an insecure jerk?

Hmm ... maybe like this: "That is certainly news to me. Please back up your claim with specific dates, and don’t throw one-liners at me. In short, prove what you say or shut your ignorant trap."

thekingisalive wrote:So "Crying in the Chapel" was done more than once? That is certainly news to me. Please back up your claim with specific dates, and don’t throw one-liners at me. In short, prove what you say or shut your ignorant trap.

Hmm ... should I make the effort for a jerk? Nope! Do your own homework, little boy.

thekingisalive wrote:I used the word RUMOR about "Mr. Tambourine Man" ...

No. As a matter of fact, you actually used the word RUMORED about "Mr. Tambourine Man" ...

Remember, when you reply to a post of mine in a disrespectful and condescending manner, as you have done here TWICE, don't expect a warm tone from me, ever.

Not correct

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:34 am

thekingisalive: He even closed one of his shows with "Snowbird". He also
::: closed a couple of shows with "I’m Leavin’" and "Bridge over Troubled
::: Water". 1971 was a real experimental year for Elvis. So he did six
::: different opening songs and five different closing songs in his concert
::: years.

- not true, I am afraid. Elvis, even in 1971, closes his shows with CAN'T HELP FALLING in most of cases, pls sometimes (Vegas Feb. 71) with (originally Brels) IMPOSSIBLE DREAM (The Quest, La quête) and once with BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER. Just once! There is no recorded evidence of OTHER different songs as show closing numbers.

So no way SNOWBIRD, no way I'M LEAVIN' as show closer, thekingisalive.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:16 am

Deadringer, he closed one show in Tahoe (1971) with "Snowbird" and another with "I’m Leavin’". He closed three shows with "Bridge over Troubled Water" (one in Tahoe (July 24, M.S.) and two in Vegas (both shows on August 31)) and fifty-eight shows with "The Impossible Dream" (one in Tahoe).

It’s all in Stein-Erik Skar’s The Concert Years.

Per

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:06 am

I recall "crying in the chapel" done in August 1975 las vegas and in april/may 1976 lake tahoe engagement.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:17 am

It was the second to last song during the August 19, 1975 D.S. in Vegas. I am unfamiliar with your claim that it was done at any other time, although Tahoe ’76 seems like a good candidate for this. What proof do you have that Elvis did this song then?

Our good house doc says Elvis did this song several times, which I find ludicrous.

Per

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:39 am

What about: MARIE'S THE NAME OF HIS LATEST FLAME ???
i think Elvis did that number once, dont remember the year, maybe 1975 or 1976....
Lior

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:49 am

GIRL HAPPY BOY wrote:What about: MARIE'S THE NAME OF HIS LATEST FLAME ???
i think Elvis did that number once, dont remember the year, maybe 1975 or 1976....
Lior


Nothing to date has surfaced to support that claim - audience recording or otherwise.

deadringer wrote:not true, I am afraid. Elvis, even in 1971, closes his shows with CAN'T HELP FALLING in most of cases, pls sometimes (Vegas Feb. 71) with (originally Brels) IMPOSSIBLE DREAM (The Quest, La quête)


I believe Elvis closed the majority of his Winter 1971 Vegas shows with Impossible Dream.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:09 am

ELvis-fan wrote: Nothing to date has surfaced to support that claim - audience recording or otherwise.

********************************

Incorrect. He did one verse of "his latest flame" on sept. 3rd, 1971, the dinner show. Audience recording.

Please note: none of my claims are made unless I have the tape and have heard it.

"crying in the chapel", May 6th, 1976 M.S.

Any other time elvis did "crying in the chapel' you will have to see if the doctor can come up with those dates. The 2 times was all I could find.

"i was the one" from aug. 12th, 1970
"raised on rock" aug. 6th, 1973

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:23 pm

We have audio access to the two afore mentioned peformances..
19.8.75 DS and Lake Tahoe 6.5.76

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:43 am

Spanish_Eyes wrote:By the way, is More any related to the main song of the same title featured in the 1960 shockumentary Mondo Cane (aka It's a dog's world) by Italian composer Riz Ortolani?


"More" was the theme to the Italian film "Mondo Cane." It was written by Riz Ortolani and N. Oliviero, being nominated for an Oscar for Best Song in 1963. The original Italian title was "Ti Guardero' Nel Cuore" and it was recorded as an instrumental. Marcello Ciorciolini provided Italian lyrics and these were adapted into English by Norman Newell. Perhaps Frank Sinatra's 1964 recording was the first English vocal of "More." Elvis sang a few lines of the song on a number of occasions in concert.

source: David Neale's "Elvis originals" site

I have this song as a guitar-instrumental by The Ventures

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but "return to sender" live are these complete versions or just one or a couple of lines as Ive only heard a one liner?Also I was looking "the king on the road" book and it has a tentive song lineup for tour november 1971 document, which included "its only love" was this ever perfomed? Thanks to anyone who replies.