All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Songs performed just once

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:07 am

Let's make a list of those rarities Elvis sang once on stage in the 70's and never again (no one liners like By the time I get to Phoenix)

Rubberneckin (Las Vegas, 1969)
This is the story (Las Vegas, 1969)
Inherit the wind (Las Vegas, 1969)
True love travels on a gravel road (Las Vegas, 1970)- NOT SURE
When the snow is on the roses (Las Vegas, 1970)
Stranger in the crowd (Las Vegas, 1970)
The next step is love (Las Vegas, 1970)
Oh happy day (Las Vegas, 1970)
More (Las Vegas, 1970)
Snowbird (Las Vegas, 1971)-NOT SURE
I'm so lonesome I could cry (Hawaii, 1973)
Down in the alley (Las Vegas, 1974)
Good time Charlie got the blues (Las Vegas, 1974)
You'll never walk alone (Uniondale, 1975)
Return to sender (Hampton Roads, 1976)
Such a night (Birmingham, 1976))
Moody Blue (Charlotte, 1977)- FIRST TIME JUST AN ATTEMPT, FOLLOWING NIGHT HE GOT THE SONG PERFORMED COMPLETELY
Where no one stands alone (Montgomery, 1977)

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:49 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's make a list of those rarities Elvis sang once on stage in the 70's and never again (no one liners like By the time I get to Phoenix)

Rubberneckin (Las Vegas, 1969)
This is the story (Las Vegas, 1969)
Inherit the wind (Las Vegas, 1969)
True love travels on a gravel road (Las Vegas, 1970)- NOT SURE
When the snow is on the roses (Las Vegas, 1970)
Stranger in the crowd (Las Vegas, 1970)
The next step is love (Las Vegas, 1970)
Oh happy day (Las Vegas, 1970)
More (Las Vegas, 1970)
Snowbird (Las Vegas, 1971)-NOT SURE
I'm so lonesome I could cry (Hawaii, 1973)
Down in the alley (Las Vegas, 1974)
Good time Charlie got the blues (Las Vegas, 1974)
You'll never walk alone (Uniondale, 1975)
Return to sender (Hampton Roads, 1976)
Such a night (Birmingham, 1976))
Moody Blue (Charlotte, 1977)- FIRST TIME JUST AN ATTEMPT, FOLLOWING NIGHT HE GOT THE SONG PERFORMED COMPLETELY
Where no one stands alone (Montgomery, 1977)

I hate to do this but you need to take a few off the list.

Return to Sender
I'm so lonesome i could cry
Such a night
Snow bird

And possibly Rubberneckin was performed twice.

"more" is a one liner.

Here are a few to add to your list.

Your're the reason I'm living
It's a matter of time
Danny Boy
You can have her
Sweet Inspiration

And there's a few I am forgetting. Help!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:54 am

Thanks, ekenee.

When did he sing I'm so lonesome I could cry, Return to sender and Such a night besides the gigs I have mentioned?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:56 am

"I'm Leaving It Up To You - February 8 1972 Midnight Show" was a complete song too! and "More" was nothing more than a one liner!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:02 am

The song Elvis didn't particularly dig singing from August 1970:

Twenty Days and Tweny Nights.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:10 am

Keith F wrote:"I'm Leaving It Up To You - February 8 1972 Midnight Show" was a complete song too! and "More" was nothing more than a one liner!

Yeah, I don't no why, but got mistaken between More and Sweet Inspiration (!)

By the way, is More any related to the main song of the same title featured in the 1960 shockumentary Mondo Cane (aka It's a dog's world) by Italian composer Riz Ortolani?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:48 am

Hi,

Such a Night wasn't sung in Birmingham but rather in Atlanta the following night on the 30th. And in Las vegas on dec. 12th closing show, 1976.

Return to Sender was done on may 9th, 1976 in lake tahoe. closing show.

I'm so lonesome I could cry, was done on Feb. 15 , 1973 in Vegas. Dinner show.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:49 am

I'm no expert, but here's what I can tell you with relative certainty:

ekenee wrote:I hate to do this but you need to take a few off the list.

Return to Sender
I'm so lonesome i could cry
Such a night
Snow bird

He also needs to take off:

"When The Snow Is On The Roses", which was performed twice on August 24th 1970 at the dinner and midnight shows.

"Oh, Happy Day", which was performed on August 14th 1970 in Las Vegas at the midnight show and May 8th 1976 in Tahoe at the dinner show.

ekenee wrote:Here are a few to add to your list.

Your're the reason I'm living
It's a matter of time
Danny Boy
You can have her
Sweet Inspiration

You're wrong on two of those:

"Danny Boy" was performed several other times, though they all featured Sherrill Nielsen, except for perhaps December 6th 1976 in Las Vegas at the midnight show.

"Sweet Inspiration" was performed on August 20th 1970 in Las Vegas and September 1st 1970 at midnight shows.

ekenee wrote:Such a Night wasn't sung in Birmingham but rather in Atlanta the following night on the 30th. And in Las vegas on dec. 12th closing show, 1976.

Return to Sender was done on may 9th, 1976 in lake tahoe. closing show.

I'm so lonesome I could cry, was done on Feb. 15 , 1973 in Vegas. Dinner show.

"Such A Night" was also sung on August 16th 1969 in Las Vegas at the midnight show.

"Return To Sender" was also sung on July 25th 1975 in Asheville, on August 1st 1976 at Hampton and on February 12th 1977 in Hollywood (Florida).

"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" was also sung on January 26th 1973 in Las Vegas at the opening show. Technically, of course, it was also sung twice for the Aloha concert, once in rehearsal, on January 12th 1973, and again in the main show, on January 14th 1973.
Last edited by Cryogenic on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:12 am

Cryogenic, I was going by memory but I have a few questions for you.

The 1969 'Such a night", have you heard this? I read it was only a one-liner so it won't be on the list.

Also, "when the snow...." have you heard this? I think its the same version misdated on one tape. ???

"return to sender" in feb. 1977. I think its a one liner. Have you heard this one??

I was only listing ones i have heard so I am certain about those.

I think you are wrong on 'danny boy'. Only once it was performed.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:15 am

I was not basing my response on what I had heard. You were. And that's fair. Like I said, I am no expert. I should have been more explicit on that. I was using this site, which seems pretty solid. See what you think: http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/dbsearch.php

EDIT: I just checked all of those songs out in full using the "Info" link (which I skipped over on a few answers there). You appear to be correct about "Such A Night" and "Return To Sender". I was definitely in error there according to this. "When The Snow Is On The Roses" and "Danny Boy" require further investigation.

I think that's a good site there. I used to post to their board before francesc wiped it. It was later restarted, but I have never re-registered. Their database is a great effort. But it's not perfect. You and other knowledgeable guys might want to help them out. For example: "Inherit The Wind" isn't catalogued because there is no list for the August 26th 1969 Las Vegas dinner show.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:01 am

Aside from the rehearsal performance, which was technically only that - a rehearsal,
Welcome To My World (I don't believe) was sung in its entirety again outside of the '73 Hawaii gig.

Also:
Rags To Riches from Pittsburgh, PA 12-31-76
You're The Reason I'm Living from Vegas 03-75
Pieces of My Life from one of the Asheville, NC shows in 07-75
Moody Blue from Charlotte, NC 02-21-77 (keeping in mind the performance from the previous night was incomplete)
Oh and I've only ever heard the one version of Only Believe from the January 1971 show in Vegas

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:35 am

elvis-fan wrote:Aside from the rehearsal performance, which was technically only that - a rehearsal ...

Not so -- January 12, 1973 was a complete performance in front of a filled concert hall, with video cameras rolling. An Elvis rehearsal never included any of those criteria.

If something had gone wrong with the gig the next day (give or take a few hours), January 12 would've been the "Aloha" broadcast for the US and elsewhere in April.

---

Other complete "one-timers":

"Suzie Q" - July 20, 1975 AS, Norfolk VA
"Turn Around, Look At Me" - July 23, 1975, Asheville NC
"Bosom Of Abraham" / "You Better Run" - March 29, 1977, Alexandria, LA

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:14 am

Doc, old boy, you’re wrong about the medley. It was also performed in Vegas 1976. The following songs might be one-timers, but I’m not sure:

"Amazing Grace"
"I, John"
"Mary in the Morning"

Then, of course, you have "Raised on Rock", "Crying in the Chapel", and a few songs from the 1961 concerts.

"From a Jack to a King" (Vegas ’69) and "Mr. Tambourine Man" (1975) are rumored to have been performed by Elvis, but no solid proof exists.

Per

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:17 am

The gospel medley can also be heard on "America's Own" and "Run On".

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:40 am

elvis-fan wrote:
You're The Reason I'm Living from Vegas 03-75

This one was previously mentioned by ekenee.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:14 pm

Elvis fan wrote: Moody Blue from Charlotte, NC 02-21-77 (keeping in mind the performance from the previous night was incomplete)

Elvis actually did not even sing a note on that previous night.
Not a word.
The reason: The band didn't have the intro right. It was close enough for me, and I think he should have tried it, but Elvis was a perfectionist.

Another thing is, so many of the 1969 shows are undocumented that other one time performances could have taken place such as

"money Honey", "You'll think of me", and who knows what else.

And further more songs like "inherit the wind" or "this is the story" could, and I mean could, have been tried twice.
A parallel example would be that years ago hardly anyone knew how many times he did "snowbird" live, but it turns out he did it several times.

When dozens of shows have no documentation, anything is possible.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:58 pm

He even closed one of his shows with "Snowbird". He also closed a couple of shows with "I’m Leavin’" and "Bridge over Troubled Water". 1971 was a real experimental year for Elvis.

So he did six different opening songs and five different closing songs in his concert years.

Per

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:02 pm

[/quote] So he did six different opening songs and five different closing songs in his concert years.

What would those songs be?

I know of 4 opening songs
Blues suede shoes
that's all right
See see rider
and the one time of Big boss man

and only 2 closing tunes
What I'd say
and Can't help falling in love

what are the others?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:19 pm

I’m not at home now, so I can’t give you exact dates, but here are the opening songs:

"Blue Suede Shoes" (Vegas ’69)
"All Shook Up" (Vegas Jan/Feb 1970)
"That’s All Right" (Vegas ’70 & ’71 plus a few other occasions)
"Tiger Man" (August 19, 1970 D.S.)
"See See Rider" (usual opening number from 1972 onward)
"Big Boss Man" (August 19, 1974, O.S.)

Per

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:41 pm

And of course, there are those occasions in 70 / 71 when Elvis performed some rather strange medleys:

February 23rd 1970 saw Elvis in a boisterous and fun mood, eager not only to entertain but to have a few laughs as well. The concert had a real “end-of-term” feel to it, as exemplified by his decision to don the electric guitar for a couple of numbers, before switching to the piano (the first time he did this during the “Vegas Years”?). This is where we come in because among the tunes he performed was a one-time medley of Blueberry Hill and Lawdy Miss Clawdy (stick on A Legendary Performer Volume 5 for an improved sound version). Messy, loose as a goose but above all fun, this spirited and freewheeling version shows that music doesn’t have to be perfectly executed to be great. Far from it, in fact! Dig El’s priceless comment at the end that “I used to be known as Fats Domino, but I lost weight”.

Also -

After MGM’s cameras packed up in Vegas (TTWII) the rarities continued, as proved by a few audience recordings. Elvis served up versions of I Walk The Line, Oh Happy Day and (supposedly) Mary In The Morning, Santa Claus Is Back In Town and medleys of Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On /Mystery Train / Tiger Man and Polk Salad Annie / Release Me. Bizarre! For me, however, the best rarities from the end of this season are When The Snow Is On The Roses (recorded August 24th) and Sweet Inspiration (August 20th, midnight show). Find the former on RCA’s Live In Las Vegas box. Sweet Inspiration is on The Continuing Story Of Memory Records. We all know this was the signature song of EP’s female backing singers, and he turns in a short, but soulful take on this gospel number.

I believe Snowbird may have closed a Lake Tahoe show in July 71.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:48 pm

thekingisalive wrote:He even closed one of his shows with "Snowbird". He also closed a couple of shows with "I’m Leavin’" and "Bridge over Troubled Water". 1971 was a real experimental year for Elvis.

So he did six different opening songs and five different closing songs in his concert years.

Per

I know he did close with "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

But did he close with Snowbird and I´m Leaving??? If so, when?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Elton wrote:and only 2 closing tunes
What I'd say
and Can't help falling in love

"What´d I Say" as a closing tune???

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:01 pm

yes Renan, a 5:34 version recorded in vegas 8/23/69 at the m.s.

as found on "Collectors Gold" 3rd disk, live In Las Vegas

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Listen, Elton, that was a compilation. Elvis never closed with that song, as far as I know. The concert in question was issued on the outstanding FTD Records label a few years ago. He closed that show with the standard "Can’t Help Falling in Love".

Per

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Renan, I believe in was in Tahoe, 1971. Will come back with exact dates when I get home later tonight.

Per