All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Why are a lot of you Not requesting FTD to release 1970 SBs?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:39 am

In another thread I brought up I was surprised
FTD has not released any of these shows yet
on FTD.....
Image
Yet, at the same time I guess I'm a little
surprised and dissapointed more of you
haven't requested these shows to be
released either....

As it apears to me, an correct me if I'm wrong,
more of you tend to request the latter shows from
the 70's...on a on going basis...then these early
shows....

Is there a reason, why most of you appear
to do this?

If so, why?

Just curious....

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:45 am

pep i would really like some of those shows in soundboard and im sure many other fans do also

jess

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:53 am

PEP, it is a mystery. Fans are clamoring for shows from 1975 and strangely 1976, yet you never hear anyone up in arms over the fact some great soundboards from 1970 are locked away in the vaults with no impending release.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:10 am

Isn't that list a document of what was commited to tape based on written tape legends rather than what is necessarily in FTDs possession?

If they have Vegas shows from Jan/Feb I expect due to Polk Salad Annie they will focus on other areas first.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:23 am

If they have Vegas shows from Jan/Feb I expect due to Polk Salad Annie they will focus on other areas first.


It is the non-Vegas shows that are of big interest.

And Polk Salad Annie doesn't represent the best of the winter 1970 material, the 2/15 show they picked to fill over half the release, while mostly complete, is a rather substandard show.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:31 am

I prefer shows from the 1969-1973 era because they are simply the best performances overall.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:11 am

Matthew wrote:Isn't that list a document of what was commited to tape based on written tape legends rather than what is necessarily in FTDs possession?


Matthew the list does come from Tunzi's book
Image
I guess it would be nice if Ernst could come forward
to confirm if these tapes our in their vaults...

Or has he?

Anyone know?

PEP 8)

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:17 am

I would love these soundboards to be released, great idea PEP!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:28 am

I don't know how many of the Soundboards you listed, Ernst has at his disposal (in the RCA Vaults) but judging by the responses he got when he released "The Impossible Dream" on FTD (January 28 1971), and the comments about bad sound etc... and how much better the same songs sounded on Bootleg, I can understand why he hasn't released another show from this time period!

Comments such as the song 'Snowbird' sounded better on Bootleg, as you couldn't hear certain tape "Crackles" that you heard on the FTD release, were just stupid to me! FTD used the original tape! The Bootleggers used "Noise Reduction" and all sorts of tricks on an X generation copy of the original tape to get their results!

The same goes for the Boston tape, released again recently by "Madison". The sound on the original tape is "Crap"! But "Madison" improved their source by re-mastering it, they didn't have a better tape source!

These people (Madison) are fans, and do this "Mastering" for the benefit of the fans (and their pockets of course!) but I have no gripe about that. They are getting material out to the fans in the best possible sound they can.

If FTD started re-mastering these tapes from scratch, this is another cost to them, which would eventually be passed onto us (the buyers).

What I'm saying is, Ernst reads this board frequently, and must get very upset, when all he is trying to do is release everything to the fans on FTD.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:33 am

Keith F wrote: What I'm saying is, Ernst reads this board frequently, and must get very upset, when all he is trying to do is release everything to the fans on FTD.


Do you mean?

You feel Ernst is upset about some of his restrictions
or the fact that we are bringing this up?

My guess is, you meant his restrictions...

Correct Keith?

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:33 am

Keith F wrote:Comments such as the song 'Snowbird' sounded better on Bootleg, as you couldn't hear certain tape "Crackles" that you heard on the FTD release, were just stupid to me! FTD used the original tape! The Bootleggers used "Noise Reduction" and all sorts of tricks on an X generation copy of the original tape to get their results!


WHAT?!?

Who the hell said that?! The "Snowbird" track from FTD sounds way, WAY better than the boot.

Rich

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:44 am

PEP wrote:
Keith F wrote: What I'm saying is, Ernst reads this board frequently, and must get very upset, when all he is trying to do is release everything to the fans on FTD.


Do you mean?

You feel Ernst is upset about some of his restrictions
or the fact that we are bringing this up?

My guess is, you meant his restrictions...

Correct Keith?

PEP 8)

I mean the comments, in general from fans, pointed at Ernst that he should release "This and That" and when he does - more comments why it should have been better!

Ernst (and FTD) are in a no win situaton amongst fans! He will always get complaints!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:46 am

You feel Ernst is upset about some of his restrictions
or the fact that we are bringing this up?

My guess is, you meant his restrictions...


Ernst is known to be pretty sensitive about criticism. He has mentioned it in the past in various interviews.

But it is pretty incredible that fans bitch about the sound quality of the soundboards that FTD issues. What do they expect? You take what you can get with these sorts of recordings. The boot sources sound better? If they do, how much better? Usually not enough to justify a bitching session.

Hopefully the dissatisfaction of the sound quality for The Impossible Dream by some fans hasn't influenced Ernst to pass over some great shows from the early 1970's.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:48 am

Keith F wrote: I mean the comments, in general from fans, pointed at Ernst that he should release "This and That" and when he does - more comments why it should have been better!

Ernst (and FTD) are in a no win situaton amongst fans! He will always get complaints!


Well, yes this I can understand keith it is what it is....tho
par for the course... :wink:

The complaining I could do without too... :lol:

But one has to start somwwhere....

PEP 8)

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:50 am

midnightx wrote:Hopefully the dissatisfaction of the sound quality for The Impossible Dream by some fans hasn't influenced Ernst to pass over some great shows from the early 1970's.

I think it HAS influenced Ernst to pass on releasing any more shows from 1970, for now at least! :wink:

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:51 am

I mean the comments, in general from fans, pointed at Ernst that he should release "This and That" and when he does - more comments why it should have been better!

Ernst (and FTD) are in a no win situaton amongst fans! He will always get complaints!


Keith, Ernst gets a lot of praise for his efforts in general, not only from fans, but individuals in the music business. Some negative remarks or constructive criticism shouldn't get him so aggrivated. He knows some will never be happy. Who cares? If he knows he is doing the best job he can with the resources he has at his disposal, and he is confident in his creative decisions, why does he give any weight to the negativity that he knows will be there no matter what? It is the nature of the business....

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:54 am

I think it HAS influenced Ernst to pass on releasing any more shows from 1970, for now at least!


That is pretty pathetic if that is actually the case. Anyone that is at all well-informed knew that the tapes from the winter 1971 Vegas shows had issues, so why would they have high expectations about the sound? If someone was idiotic enough to complain about the sound, why would Ernst care?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:55 am

midnightx wrote:If he knows he is doing the best job he can with the resources he has at his disposal, and he is confident in his creative decisions, why does he give any weight to the negativity that he knows will be there no matter what? It is the nature of the business....

He cares, because first and foremost, he's a fan

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:56 am

Out of curiosity do any of you feel
if any of these soundboard's were released

( If they do exist in the RCA vaults)

Regardless of quality, would they end up being
as popular for you and for the sales of
FTD.....in the long run?

PEP 8)

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:07 am

PEP wrote:Out of curiosity do any of you feel
if any of these soundboard's were released

Regardless of quality, would they end up being
as popular for you and for the sales of
FTD.....?

PEP 8)

This sounds like another "TTWII Footage" fascade! Where someone released most of the footage, for extortionate prices , in "Crap" quality, then only to release the same footage again, in better quality a few months later! And then again, in even better quality a few months later. Do you know anything about that Pep?

This sh*t has got to stop. The fans deserve so much more!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:17 am

Keith F wrote:Ernst (and FTD) are in a no win situaton amongst fans! He will always get complaints!



AMEN! Keith, I just hope he realizes some fans are appreciative of ALL of his efforts and that the Elvis World would be lost without him.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:23 am

Keith F wrote: This sounds like another "TTWII Footage" fascade! Where someone released most of the footage, for extortionate prices , in "Crap" quality, then only to release the same footage again, in better quality a few months later! And then again, in even better quality a few months later. Do you know anything about that Pep?

This sh*t has got to stop. The fans deserve so much more!


Sure, I'm aware that it happens all the time....

I'm sure it has happened to you and it has happened
to me too....

There is No guarantee in life when to buy and when
not to buy.....

There are also reasons why certain things happen
the way it does, from greed, to back stabbing, to people
making up crap which is not true out of jealousy, to so
many other possible reasons...

The world is not a perfect one...this we know...
especially in the import market from CD's to DvD's...

However we are talking about the FTD label, which
should be in a position to offer the best of what
they have?

Isn't this what we are talking about here?

The thing is, my guess is the soundboard's
from the early 70's will not be of the same
quality as the latter soundboard's,

Which would mean the latter would be better...

But, wouldn't the early be a better quality
performance because of what we are
working with, an so isn't that more important?

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:26 am

Keith F wrote:
PEP wrote:Out of curiosity do any of you feel
if any of these soundboard's were released

Regardless of quality, would they end up being
as popular for you and for the sales of
FTD.....?

PEP 8)

This sounds like another "TTWII Footage" fascade! Where someone released most of the footage, for extortionate prices , in "Crap" quality, then only to release the same footage again, in better quality a few months later! And then again, in even better quality a few months later. Do you know anything about that Pep?

This sh*t has got to stop. The fans deserve so much more!


I see that I need to give you a second ............AMEN.........Keith.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:39 am

PEP -
I would love for FTD to release a show from the 1970 tours. I just didn't think they had any in their possession.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:27 am

Shows from 1970 would be gladly accepted by moi 8)