All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:30 am

BC55[/quote]

Ernst himself has stated that "Sessions" CD's don't sell well, but he can always recoupe his losses by releasing a couple of Soundboards!

This is a sad, but true, fact![/quote]

It may be true but it is quite sad; I had rather have session releases complete with in-between studio banter than a big majority of Soundboards. Matter of fact most of the FTD releases that I have skipped are all soundboards. Soundboards from 1969 to 1973 are the better ones with the exception of a few from latter dates IMHO.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:40 am

It may be true but it is quite sad; I had rather have session releases complete with in-between studio banter than a big majority of Soundboards.

Not all recording sessions caught significant amounts of the studio banter between songs. With the Classic Album series moving ahead at full force, most studio outtakes will most likely be delegated to those releases and a possible boxset on the main BMG/Sony label.

FTD still has more multi-track recordings at its disposal in addition to plenty of interesting soundboards from some great tours.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:51 am

midnightx wrote:FTD still has more multi-track recordings at its disposal in addition to plenty of interesting soundboards from some great tours.

Don't forget the Stereo "Soundboards" they have too!

We've had some samples of these on the latest "Legendary Performer" Bootleg releases.

I, for one, would love to hear the complete "Birmingham 76" show in stereo on FTD (and I'm not a Soundboard fan :lol: )

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:56 am

I, for one, would love to hear the complete "Birmingham 76" show in stereo on FTD....

That is one show from 1976 that should get an official release by FTD.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:11 am

midnightx wrote:
I, for one, would love to hear the complete "Birmingham 76" show in stereo on FTD....

I'd take either Birmingham or Dallas '76 on FTD - absolutely...

Rich

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:19 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I'd take either Birmingham or Dallas '76 on FTD - absolutely...

Rich

So would I! They were both very good shows.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:56 am

Same here!

I just got my copy today of "Let Yourself Go!: the Making of 'Elvis" -the '68 Comeback Special" and what a beauty it is! You think you've seen the artwork (via this site, for instance) but when you get it in your hands, it's especially very impressive...

I like that Ernst Jorgensen has laid out the first part much as if you're listening to the original broadcast, save for some of the re-takes that Colin mentions. I, too, was sort of expecting a more seamless string of versions, but it's good to hear all that extra stuff, too.

I was most looking forward to the rehearsal show, which I'd only heard parts of previously.

First, why get mad at the extra chatter? As the notes indicate, this is from Elvis' own tape recording: we're lucky to have this bird's eye view! After all, it was a rehearsal. Can you even imagine Elvis knowing that this stuff would one day be officially released?

I ran out of time and didn't hear past the wonderfully raw "When It Rains, It Really Pours (I have this elsewhere), but it was a kick to finally hear "Blue Moon/ Young Love/ Oh, Happy Day" :!:

I can't really relate to the idea of this stuff being available for sale in stores, but even then, does anyone think this is really meant to really "move units" even in Sweden and Holland? I rather doubt it.

I would assume these FTD's are pretty much custom-made for "in-house" Elvis-to-the-end fanatics,and that's a good thing.

To re-cap, for anyone who's still somehow sitting on their hands,and thinking "I'm a soundboard guy" or "I'm all about studio outtakes," it's time to order your copy of the terrific "Let Yourself Go!"

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:24 am

I haven't had a chance to scan it yet but that inside shot of Elvis with the cigar is possibly the coolest shot I have EVER SEEN OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that shot from 1969? And who is the female we hear during the rehearsal?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:38 am

Off the top of my head, the shot (I've seen it here and there) seems like akin to the shots seen in Ernst's book from the March '68 "Live A Little, Love A Little" sessions.

I agree it's a cool shot. Does the fact that he's taking a drag help? Does that mean smoking is "where it's at" ? :lol:

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:57 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Off the top of my head, the shot (I've seen it here and there) seems like akin to the shots seen in Ernst's book from the March '68 "Live A Little, Love A Little" sessions.

No Greg, the shot from the new CD is nothing like those pics... it could be from that same session but it just doesn't look the same... he's a little too neat and tidy in those pics...not the same "coolness" factor at all... :wink:

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I agree it's a cool shot. Does the fact that he's taking a drag help? Does that mean smoking is "where it's at" ? :lol:

Hey man... just check out my avatar... nuff said!!!

8)
Last edited by elvis-fan on Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:00 am

I'm not an anti-smoking purist (although I know a thing or two about cancer) but part of me still wonders how in 2006 we still swoon when we see someone with something on fire in their mouth... :wink:

Great shot, just the same.

A monumental release, folks. Let's hear now from the "I don't know if I actually like the '68 Special" folks ....:

This one is a must have!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:08 am

Greg, you're not getting full of yourself again are you?

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:58 am

Hi Brad. You can find that photo in "Sessions III" and the caption reads "Getting ready to record If I Can Dream" if I'm not mistaken. I agree it's a cool photo.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:29 am

I got my copy a few days ago of "Let Yourself Go!: the Making of 'Elvis" -the '68 Comeback Special" and what a beauty it is! :D :lol:

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:28 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Greg, you're not getting full of yourself again are you?

"Again," huh? :roll:

I just wonder why we think smoking is cool. Elvis looked great in so many shots. That's a nice shot but let's leave it at that.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:00 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Greg, you're not getting full of yourself again are you?

"Again," huh? :roll:

I just wonder why we think smoking is cool. Elvis looked great in so many shots. That's a nice shot but let's leave it at that.

Greg... I was kidding.
It's not the smoking that makes the picture cool... it's ELVIS!!!
He just happens to be smoking that's all.

Somebody post the damn picture!!!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 pm

....can't wait to see and hear it....mine is on back order :cry: :cry:

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:18 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Greg... I was kidding.
It's not the smoking that makes the picture cool... it's ELVIS!!!
He just happens to be smoking that's all.

But the cigar is like the cherry on top. :wink:

I dislike smoking a great deal. Just as I detest all forms of drugs. The only one I have any time for is alcohol. At least alcoholic drinks are refreshing, come in all configurations, taste good (well, some taste brutal) and are mild, drug-scale wise, unless you start going crazy. And if red wine's your tipple, provided you keep it low, it's bloody medicinal. It's the same with something like good ol' Irish Guinness for its iron content. I could never hate booze, only the mugs who go too far. Of course, that could be said for any drug, but nothing is as versatile as Mr Liquor.

It isn't actually too cool that Elvis smoked. Yeah, he looks good doing it, if there's such a thing -- in fact, he looks damn good -- but it's a perilous waste. Did you know that, on top of everything else (and there are many things not too many people realise about smoking), that it can dry out your vocal chords, turning smooth tones into hoarse ones, limiting your vocal range and leaving you sounding breathy? That's also the same for alcohol, sadly, so whatever you do in life, choose your poisons carefully.

One last thing: Greg, that's a way cool signature pic you've got. We've had our differences in the past, but I'd like to think that's where they lie -- in the past. Pleasure to have you here, sir.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Hi Brad. You can find that photo in "Sessions III" and the caption reads "Getting ready to record If I Can Dream" if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Western Recorders, Los Angeles, June 23, 1968 -- talk about capturing a moment!

Tunzi actually debuted this classic on the cover of "Elvis Sessions" (1993).

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Yes, Western Recorders, Los Angeles, June 23, 1968 -- talk about capturing a moment!

It is a great shot.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:01 am

Seems like a good time to revisit my old avatar !

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am

ClintReno wrote:Seems like a good time to revisit my old avatar !

You know I love that avatar!

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:01 am

This is a great release and a worthy addition to the FTD collection. However, I wonder why none of you have sent the tracks to iTunes yet? I want to put the CD into my iTunes library, but I do not want to go to the trouble of submitting all that information myself. I was forced to do it with FTD’s Loving You, and it almost killed me. Updating 48 takes of the same song is hard work, and I’m reluctant to do it again, so if anyone would be kind enough to go this extra mile, I would be eternally grateful. Anyone, please?

Per

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:44 am

I ordered this disc from Elvis.com. I haven't ordered an FTD in a while. They used to be about $25 USD. It seems they raised the price to $30. When did that happen? Are there any less expensive U.S. retailers of FTD? I ordered from Dowling once, and it was a joke. He didn't package the disc well and the CD spindles were crushed in shipping. Plus, his prices are bloated.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:52 am

Hey Monk,

I ordered mine from Elvis.com as well. They are about the cheapest here in the states that I know of.

On the shopelvis site it states that this is back-ordered to ship Oct. 24. At first I thought that was a little off since the release date was Oct. 1. Now as it turns out that date was pretty close to actual.

Why is it that mainstream releases always are available on the date of release but FTD's are always very late?

RKS