All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:52 am

Hey Monk,

I ordered mine from Elvis.com as well. They are about the cheapest here in the states that I know of.

On the shopelvis site it states that this is back-ordered to ship Oct. 24. At first I thought that was a little off since the release date was Oct. 1. Now as it turns out that date was pretty close to actual.

Why is it that mainstream releases always are available on the date of release but FTD's are always very late?

RKS

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:40 am

Cryo, these forums lend themselves to misunderstanding, chestbeating and occasional foul behavior (and I"m not above it) but most of it tends to be in good fun or at least a function of this cold forum, so with that said, thanks for the kind words and onword! I'm not here as much as I had been for awhile due to new restraints , but it's great to check in when I can.

By the way, this is my original "Live A Little, Love A Little" avatar, as some will recall. I usually return to it eventually. It has its fans!

As for your smoking comments, I guess I was just getting at the fact that in spite of years of anti-smoking education, deglamorizaiton, etc., there is still something "powerful" or "bad-ass" about someone taking a hard drag on a cigarette..or what have you. Not so much for me (although I can see it) but it's part of the reason teens pick up cigarettes every year. We like the sight of burning substances in peoples' mouths. :lol:

I say this not as a anti-smoking zealot (for personal reasons, I should really hate what they do to people, but I also defend the right of people to smoke) but I was asking the unanswerable "why do we love that image so much"?" Try as they may (educators, advocates, etc.), dislodging the "cool' factor of cigarettes is an uphill battle.

But as for "Mr. Liquor," I'm also a fan. :lol:

All of the photos in LET YOURSELF GO are really made for the big time that is or should be a CD cover. I liked the cover on that Fort Baxter "Best of" but this is a clearer and bigger shot, while the great back cover surfaced on an under-rated UK compilation called merely "Blues." Nice work, FTD!

Day #2 with LET YOURSELF GO in my household: great stuff!

Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:13 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

Day #2 with LET YOURSELF GO in my household: great stuff!

Where did you order yours from?

Thanks,
RKS

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:32 am

Sorry to hear you had trouble with a shipment from Paul Dowling's worldwideelvis.com.

In my experience, he's always packed merchandise well -- in an oversized box with ample paper padding. I've never had any trouble at all in years of ordering from him. That's what keeps me coming back. In fact I've always thought the extra cost -- I don't really consider an extra $3 "bloated," but it's all a matter of perspective, I suppose -- well worth it to ensure personal attention to packaging and shipping.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:18 am

I've never had a problem with anything I ordered from Paul Dowling, or from shopelvis for that matter (just lucky I guess). They are the cheapest for FTDs in the States. They raised their prices about a year ago I think.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:20 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Unfortunately, "From Burbank to Vegas" is not the easest boot to find (I hadn't found it yet) so I welcome this "official" release...!

Um...Greg? Are you lookin' for this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVIS-PRESLEY-BURBA ... 0042247904

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:56 am

Not anymore, Tony. That is, not since the excellent , official, Kevan Budd-remastered FTD.

That title, in my experience, just was not all that common when I got into bootlegs in the last two years.

The songs I didn't have are all now in better sound on the FTD, so I'l be passing on it.

Thanks for the information, just the same. :D

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:28 pm

I believe there were more than those tracks on the FTD release.

Check out THE COMPLETE DRESSING ROOM REHEARSAL CD .....

Cheers

BC55

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Still haven't got my copy yet from shopelvis.

Just noticed on their website that the ship date has changed from Oct. 24 to Oct. 31st.

It will be time to order the next round before we get this one.

Anyone in the U.S. have theirs? If so, Where did you order from?

RKS

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:21 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Not anymore, Tony. That is, not since the excellent , official, Kevan Budd-remastered FTD.

That title, in my experience, just was not all that common when I got into bootlegs in the last two years.

The songs I didn't have are all now in better sound on the FTD, so I'l be passing on it.

Thanks for the information, just the same. :D

As time goes by most older boot cds will not be worth collecting has ftd is bringing it all out slowly and in better sound

like the loving you recording sessions thats all now out on ftd i think its safe to say in the end we will get complete sessions from ftd maybe the soundboards that have been relesed on imports are the only things ftd will not release there are a few excellent soundboards that have come are way thru baxter etc that would make great ftd cds for those who missed the boot cds.

jess

:D

Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:34 am

:lol: Just recieved my copy today after twice the usual postage time taken! certainly 'let yourself go' IS one of many highlights excellent the way the CD starts off with Elvis imitating a peacock-hilarious start! and great sound,loved the 1 liners of 'when the swallows come home to capistrano' and 'are you (horny) lonesome tonight' around the mediocre big boss man take 2 , and 'when irish eyes are smiling' b4 track 11 with the Blossoms,even a part of 'The Lords Prayer' on track 12!!, so well done Kevan! photographs against a black back ground are 'minimal' and only 3, but 'good'.certainly you can hear the drop off in sound quality to the rehearsal, but still facinating all the same-just how can you argue with a 25 track prime slice of Elvis beef like this and plenty of hilarious gravy!!! :wink: :roll: :wink:

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:17 pm

bc55 wrote:BTW, anyone else have The Complete Dressing Room Rehearsals import CD ?!

The Complete Dressing Room Session (MKS), yes..

bc55 wrote:I might have missed the part in this thread, but is it correct that there were 3 rehearsals, June 24th-26th 1968 ?

No, only two. June 24 is on Let Yourself Go (FTD), June 25 on Burbank 68 (FTD). A small mistake in the Burbank 68 notes caused a screw up:

In the case of this collection, the producers likely "borrowed" June 24 from a previous "import" CD and June 25 from the fan club only FTD disc 'Burbank 68.' Regrettably, they also chose to believe a "typo" on the FTD release, and moved the June 25 "Baby What You Want Me Do" to the end of the disc. Um, there never was a June 26 rehearsal, fellas.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/dressing_room.html

bc55 wrote:Also, there is an instrumental take of IF I CAN DREAM ...

This may just be a one-channel remix, not a true instrumental mix.

Hope this helps!

Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:52 am

having listened to it around 8 times now i enjoy this release a LOT, but found Guitar Man (escape #1 - Fast, take 1, 2, 5) the lazyest and lackluster performance on the whole cd, considering just how 'interested' Elvis sounds on all the other tracks makes me wonder why he sounds so uninterested on this one. :roll:

Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:25 am

That's why they call'em "outtakes," friend. :lol:

Little did he or they know we'd be drooling over every last inch of tape 38 years on...

Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:37 am

I ordered this FTD from EPE/Graceland, but have not received it yet.

Has anyone in the U.S. received this FTD yet?

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 am

Yes, indeed. :D

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:42 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:I ordered this FTD from EPE/Graceland, but have not received it yet.

Has anyone in the U.S. received this FTD yet?

I got it yesterday from Dowling. "Saved" is a killer!! crank it up and beat on that big bass drum!

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:42 am

Mine arrived Saturday, too (also from Paul Dowling, by the way, Kylan) -- not exactly a land-speed record. But I feel better knowing that shopelvis.com hasn't delivered yet.
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:57 pm

Kylan wrote: "Saved" is a killer!! crank it up and beat on that big bass drum!

Too true. I played this CD while I cooked some dinner tonight and "Saved" is probably the highlight of the entire disc, although "Memories" is fantastic too.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:44 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:Has anyone in the U.S. received this FTD yet?

The Doc apparently got his on 12 Oct. You should ask him which supplier he uses.

Chris

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:31 am

I just went to the elvis.com site and they now post a "ship date"
of Nov. 14.

What's up with that?

As I said earlier, might as well wait until the next releases come out
in December and ship all at once to save postage.

RKS

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:54 am

I'm still enjoying the CD, but Lamars laughing at start of 'happy days' and other songs is really,REALLY starting to annoy me!...and is that Charlie Hodge making bird noises during 'Are you lonesome tonigt?'. :roll:

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:40 am

YDKM wrote:I'm still enjoying the CD, but Lamars laughing at start of 'happy days' and other songs is really,REALLY starting to annoy me!...and is that Charlie Hodge making bird noises during 'Are you lonesome tonigt?'. :roll:

Well...they were fooling around having fun.

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:39 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I just went to the elvis.com site and they now post a "ship date"
of Nov. 14.

What's up with that?

As I said earlier, might as well wait until the next releases come out
in December and ship all at once to save postage.

RKS

Bloody hell - now it's November 14th? :evil:

This is just aggrevating. I really want to hear this new FTD.

Hopefully it will be sooner than that...

Rich

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:40 am

Got my copy a few days ago. Man, FTD hit a gem with this one. I hadn't read all the posts on this thread before I listened to it- so I had no preconceived ideas- I was just blown away. Also, that picture on the inside- I'm sorry but that is the essence of cool.