All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:10 am

YDKM wrote:Its a great CD but after listening to Lamars damm lunatic laughing again, i have HAD ENOUGH of it! I know they were having fun, but that laugh REALLY annoys me :twisted:

Lamar all together annoys me... :evil:

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:31 am

Saved is just friggin brilliant, its mindblowing. its better then any drug or high this world has to offer!!

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:48 am

Saved and let yourself go are outstanding! so raw and so Elvis! Lamar-yes it's damm obvious why Elvis used to poke fun at his weight and at him-he sounds like a 'pain in the ass!' :lol:

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:56 am

Saved and let yourself go are outstanding! so raw and so Elvis!

Agreed. It Hurt's Me is also outstanding imo. Just love that version!!

YDKM wrote----Lamar-yes it's damm obvious why Elvis used to poke fun at his weight and at him-he sounds like a 'pain in the ass!'

Would explain why Lamar will talk bad about Elvis ever chance he gets :twisted:

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:58 am

Brad M wrote:Saved and let yourself go are outstanding! so raw and so Elvis!

Agreed. It Hurt's Me is also outstanding imo. Just love that version!!

YDKM wrote----Lamar-yes it's damm obvious why Elvis used to poke fun at his weight and at him-he sounds like a 'pain in the ass!'

Would explain why Lamar will talk bad about Elvis ever chance he gets :twisted:

of course! its not exactly rocket science when it comes to Lamar! :lol:

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:17 pm

I got mine a week ago, and agree that it is a great CD, but I was dissapointed with the sound on everything but Memories and the Jam Session.

The Jam session, of course, can't be much better, and Memories sounds great, but everything else I think sounds rather flat. Compare "Trouble/Guitar Man" to what we are used to on releases like "Memories" from 1998, or even the original LP from 1968. Where is the low-end? or for that matter the lower mid-tones? Sure, Elvis's voice is pristine, but the performance lacks kick when mixed like this, and this isn't what it's supposed to sound like. I'll do an EQ on these tracks to try to get closer to the LP sound before I listen to this CD again.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Where is the low-end? or for that matter the lower mid-tones? Sure, Elvis's voice is pristine, but the performance lacks kick when mixed like this, and this isn't what it's supposed to sound like. I'll do an EQ on these tracks to try to get closer to the LP sound before I listen to this CD again.

But the LP was in mono wasn't it? Why would you want it mixed back to mono? :wink:

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:34 am

That's not exactly right.The U.S.version of the original lp had the songs which were cut at Western Recorders in well-defined stereo. These are the songs on Let Yourself Go.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:53 am

YDKM wrote:Its a great CD but after listening to Lamars damm lunatic laughing again, i have HAD ENOUGH of it! I know they were having fun, but that laugh REALLY annoys me :twisted:

Bummer! You can always give your well-worn copy of Chaos In College Park another spin ...

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:01 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:The Jam session, of course, can't be much better, and Memories sounds great, but everything else I think sounds rather flat.

You know, your credibility just took another serious hit.

First you spend an inordinate amount of time on another topic defending the suspicious audio claims and aesthetic missteps from the people behind MRS V1 and V2 -- and you firmly state you have "no connection" to the project -- and now you denigrate one of the best-sounding discs ever released by FTD.

By a wide consensus, most everyone agrees Kevan Budd did yet another EXCELLENT job remastering a crucial piece of Elvis history. I'd trust him with ANY Elvis Presley tape, any time!

Frankly, a less kind person would call you a disingenuous sneak.

But I'm nicer than that. I'll just ignore your posts from now on.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:15 am

By a wide consensus, most everyone agrees Kevan Budd did yet another EXCELLENT job remastering a crucial piece of Elvis history. I'd trust him with ANY Elvis Presley tape, any time!

Normally I wouldn't disagree, and I have only respect for Kevan and think he does a marvellous job most of the time. Just read what I said about the latest MDQ...brilliant! Elvis at Sun- Fantastic! 1254&1382- Never sounded better! Loving You...ditto

If it will make make you feel better doc, here is my assesment of Ernst's project: It's going to be great, and everyone who can get it should. (I have also seen many of the unpub. photos going into this)

and, Doc, my message on the MRS sets remains the same: I defend the content of the books, which I know will be great.

However, I stand by my opinion on this CD. The sound is pretty good, but it is mixed to emphasize Elvis's voice rather than the performance as a whole. I think even Kevan Budd wouldn't disagree with that.

If you are able, compare the EQ of the original LP to the EQ on this cd by doing a wave form analysis and it will bear me out- there is a signifigant drop in the lower frequencies. (Especially the Trouble/Guitar Man opener)These frequencies tend to muddy Elvis's vocal in places, but undeniably give it more kick. I simply prefer it the other way.

But you're right- this is one of the best sounding post-1963 FTD's we have, but sounds NOWHERE close to the great quality of an LP. I have ALWAYS maintained that Elvis's post-comeback catalogue hasn't been given enough care soundwise (the two notable exceptions being the 2000 Promised Land remaster and the Japanese version of the 'Today' LP- That blows the FTD version out of the water.

If you have a problem with these comments, doc. It is your problem, not mine.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:48 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:and, Doc, my message on the MRS sets remains the same: I defend the content of the books, which I know will be great.

Well, you defended a whole lot more than that, as anyone visiting the thread may read for themselves.

Since you already said you're NOT a part of the MRS group, how can you state you know the books "will be great"? Either you're lying about your participation, or you're lying about knowing the content of the books.

Either way, this type of deceit puts the kabosh on the veracity of anything you choose to discuss, such as FTD's Let Yourself Go.

let yourself go

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:48 pm

.... Awww, c'mon doc, we all have our little hidden secrets.

Im also looking forward to the contents of the MRS book! And

so should you, being a fan of those early years! Ernst his book

might not see the publishing light for a long time coming, so I

gladly settle for MRS 400 pages of Sun candy in the meantime...

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:30 am

Thanks, Tallhair! :wink:

Doc, I'm really not trying to be decietful or mean to Kevan Budd, I'm just stating an opinion, and while I am not DIRECTLY involved in the production of the MRS project I have been shown certain items that are going to be in it, and I can tell you they are pretty great to see, same goes for Ernst's project.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:21 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Doc, I'm really not trying to be decietful ... I am not DIRECTLY involved in the production of the MRS project ...

Uh-huh.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:19 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:

Normally I wouldn't disagree, and I have only respect for Kevan and think he does a marvellous job most of the time. Just read what I said about the latest MDQ...brilliant! Elvis at Sun- Fantastic! 1254&1382- Never sounded better! Loving You...ditto

If it will make make you feel better doc, here is my assesment of Ernst's project: It's going to be great, and everyone who can get it should. (I have also seen many of the unpub. photos going into this)

and, Doc, my message on the MRS sets remains the same: I defend the content of the books, which I know will be great.

However, I stand by my opinion on this CD. The sound is pretty good, but it is mixed to emphasize Elvis's voice rather than the performance as a whole. I think even Kevan Budd wouldn't disagree with that.

If you are able, compare the EQ of the original LP to the EQ on this cd by doing a wave form analysis and it will bear me out- there is a signifigant drop in the lower frequencies. (Especially the Trouble/Guitar Man opener)These frequencies tend to muddy Elvis's vocal in places, but undeniably give it more kick. I simply prefer it the other way.

But you're right- this is one of the best sounding post-1963 FTD's we have, but sounds NOWHERE close to the great quality of an LP. I have ALWAYS maintained that Elvis's post-comeback catalogue hasn't been given enough care soundwise (the two notable exceptions being the 2000 Promised Land remaster and the Japanese version of the 'Today' LP- That blows the FTD version out of the water.

If you have a problem with these comments, doc. It is your problem, not mine.

I haven't received this disc yet so I can't speak to the sound issues you describe. However, if the low end is lacking, this may not be Kevan's fault.

Remember Kevan may have inherited a stereo mixdown performed by someone else. If the person that mixed it the Western material (probably Ferrante) didn't blend the bass track well in the stereo mixdown, then he (the mixer) would be the likely culprit--not Kevan.

Kevan has a great ear and his mastering achieves a very warm natural sound. The bass anemic issues you describe are consistent with the poorly mixed sonic signature of Dennis Ferrante in such FTD releases as Live At the International, All Shook Up and Polk Salad Annie.

It is difficult for a mastering engineer to EQ the bass to sound good in a stereo mix, if the bass in said mix is not there to begin with. Again -- look to Ferrante as the likely culprit. It is unclear if Ferrante is still mixing Elvis material or if he "stockpiled" mixes years ago and we are damned to experience his mixes ad infinitum.

Listen to the Western outtake on the TT&F box mixed by Ferrante in 2002. Listen to how the bass is poorly mixed and underrepresented..

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:02 am

Has anyone who ordered this title from Graceland/EPE received it yet?

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:27 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:

Has anyone who ordered this title from Graceland/EPE received it yet?

No not yet. Their website now says to ship on Nov. 14. What terrible service considering other dealers in the U.S. have already sent theirs out to customers.

I will most likely be using Worldwide Elvis next time.

RKS

Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:15 am

I'm never in such a hurry to hear something that I will pay $5.00 more for something that's already overpriced.

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 am

JerryNodak
I'm never in such a hurry to hear something that I will pay $5.00 more for something that's already overpriced.

Jerry,

For "Let Yourself Go" I paid $29.95 for the disc and I selected regular U.S.
mail for my shipping option and they charged me $7.95. Almost $38 from EPE/shopelvis and i'm still waiting.

Worldwideelvis charges $32.95 + $2 shipping and have already shipped theirs.

RKS

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:23 am

I'm pretty discussed with Shop Elvis right now. Their record is spotty at best. It's really sad that the only offically sanctioned source for FTD CDs in the U.S.A. provides such shi--y service. I don't think anyone at EPE gives a rat's a--!

Mystery Train

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:31 am

I'm with ya Mystery Train!

This is not the first time i've had trouble with shopelvis. Once they sent my order to Albania. When I called to ask them about it they said "we don't even ship to Albania".

But my e-mail order form said Albania.

Go figure.

RKS

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:31 am

And they sent me the "Today" FTD with the discs missing.... :evil: Complete with dingbat, "El-who?" phone service.

So to my North American friends (if not others), as Mike C. and others have tried to tell you: let FECC handle your FTD needs. It's always very fast and also very competiitve with all the sites mentioned. 'Drop 'em a line. Nuff said. 8)